Apl Challenge 2017

Wenbev

What length are you now? Full NL-SLish

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Natural

What's your regimen? Cowash 2-3x/week, shampoo as necessary; 3-4x/month. Color every 8-12 weeks. Trim as necessary. Light protein with every shampoo.

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL? Need four inches!!! Work on retention now that I have the moisture part down. Try to keep up with inversion.

Goal areas: back, front, sides, crowns. No goal areas.

What's your goal month if any? I'll take it when I get it but shooting for September if I can retain most. I have layered hair which I like so when the longest lengths hit it, I'm calling it!

Will edit post with photo

Attachments

• dec 2016.JPG
    dec 2016.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 32

faithVA

What length are you now? Full NL-SLish

What's your regimen? Cowash 2-3x/week, shampoo as necessary; 3-4x/month. Color every 8-12 weeks. Trim as necessary. Light protein with every shampoo.

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL? Need four inches!!! Work on retention now that I have the moisture part down. Try to keep up with inversion.

Goal areas: back, front, sides, crowns. No goal areas.

What's your goal month if any? I'll take it when I get it but shooting for September if I can retain most. I have layered hair which I like so when the longest lengths hit it, I'm calling it!

Will edit post with photo
I think your goal area would be the back if you have layers and no other parts of your hair are already APL.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
What length are you now? Between SL and APL

What's your regimen?
Oil my scalp 2x a week, do LCO 2-3x per week and GHE 1x per week.
Keep my ends pinned up and take them down once a week to really focus on moisturising them.
Exercise 4x per week.
Drink at least 1 litre of water per day.

Once every 2 weeks:
Prepoo my cornrows with sweet almond oil/vatika oil.
Cowash cornrows with APB Whipped Cleansing Creme/SSI Sugar Peach Conditioner
Apply diluted moisturing shampoo to my scalp only and give it a good scrub then let the suds clean the cornrows themselves.
Apply Moisture DC to the cornrows directly, condition for 1/2 hr under my Hot Head Conditioning Cap.
Rinse with cool water.
Apply LI and airdry.

Once every 6 weeks:
Do a full detangle on dry hair with sweet almond oil/vatika oil/ST Knot Glide(new product I am trying out).
Prepoo detangled twists under Hot Head Conditioning Cap for 1/2 hr.
Cowash and further detangle twists with APB Whipped Cleansing Creme/SSI Sugar Peach Conditioner.
Apply diluted clarifying shampoo to my scalp only, allow the suds to run over my twists and squeeze to cleanse them.
Mild Protein DC for 1/2 hr with heat
Moisture DC for 1/2 hr with heat
Rinse with cool water
Apply LI and heat protectant
Blowdry on high flow, medium heat
Install cornrows on blowdried hair.

New to my regimen in 2017 is inverting for 4 mins/day for a 1 week per month.

Wig >95% of the time.

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL?
1. I need to find a new cornrow pattern that will allow me to baby my problem areas (middle nape and crown).
2. Drink at least 1 litre of water a day
3. Exercise at least 4x per week
4. Avoid detangling/handling my hair when I am impatient/tired/frustrated or hungry :look:

Goal areas: back, front, sides, crowns.
Back and crown.

What's your goal month if any?
July 2016 (giving myself lots of time)

Post your starting pic of areas NOT APL.
Dec 2016 LC.jpg

Second LC pic I took 2 days ago.
Dec 2016 LC (attempt#2)*.JPG

Last edited:

faithVA

I took my twist down, moisturized them with Good Morning Goddess and twisted back up with TO High Def Twist Creme. I had originally planned to wash my hair this weekend. But my hair feels good and seems to be retaining moisture. So I might not wash it until next weekend. I will try taking it down every 3 days, moisturizing and putting back up.

gvin89

I'm in 2-strand twists right now. But the big plus for me is that I did a few flat twists to the side to give it a little flare. I usually cannot flat twist my own hair. I will keep practicing and perfecting flat twists in an effort to learn how to do my own pinups/updos. After that, I'll learn how to rollerset my hair.

Update: Here's a pic of my DD's twists. My short term goal is for my twists to look like this.
WIN_20161222_12_59_27_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

DST1913

I think I need to change my starting length answer. I thought collar bone length was longer than shoulder length. Maybe I have low collar bones. Lol

I saw this hairfinity chart and it made me think I'm wrong

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161224-061452.jpg
    Screenshot_20161224-061452.jpg
    894.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

faithVA

I think I need to change my starting length answer. I thought collar bone length was longer than shoulder length. Maybe I have low collar bones. Lol

I used to think so too. There must be another picture around that shows it differently. I know for my body CBL is before SL I've been CBL for forever. And I kept wondering why I wasn't SL. This picture makes sense for me.

Evolving78

I wouldn't change it. HF just threw in collarbone length. My CL is below my shoulders. And do you see how far down SL is on this chart! That's past SL! Don't listen to faithVA she is SL lol

victory777

Dc'D with Alter Ego Garlic conditioner. I joined the DC 2017 thread to try to up my retention rate. Also, trying to incorporate ceramide oils as a prepoo or in addition to whatever dc I use.

DST1913

We are rolling with that one! That one is universal. HF measurements are off and will have you taking their pills forever, trying to keep up with that length chart! Lol

I like this chart! Ok I thought I might be deformed. Lol

I like their pills they have helped me gain good length I've never had before. I am going to switch to Manetabolism just to switch it up and see what happens.

Last edited:

DST1913

Yesterday I washed my hair, tried ORS hair mayo for a light protein then sat under steamer with curl rehab for 20 mins. My hair was very tangled and the only thing I did differently was the ORS. Ive never tried it before and wont again. Lost too much hair. The aphogee 2min will have to be my go to. Im glad I only got the ORS in a sample pack.

I always feel like when I have a bad tangling session that Im taking 2 steps back and my hair is shorter.

faithVA

I wouldn't change it. HF just threw in collarbone length. My CL is below my shoulders. And do you see how far down SL is on this chart! That's past SL! Don't listen to faithVA she is SL lol
Um excuse me? How you goin tell somebody not to listen to me. I don't care if it's the holiday season or not. I will send Santa over there to snatched yo weave young lady.

Ok I'm tired of typing. Vent over. :lol:

Be glad I'm on my phone.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Welcome to APL 2017. Everyone is welcome.

Post the following to join in

What length are you now?
Hovering between SL and collar bone length

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?
Color treated natural

What's your regimen?
Co wash and LOC daily
Shampoo and DC twice a week
Demi permanent color and rollerset every 8-10 weeks
Redo mini braids every 6-8 weeks

More clean eating and exercising
Increase water intake
Keep ends covered

Back and sides to reach APLENTY
Thicken up front hairline

October 2017

The challenge will officially start on January 1st, 2017 and end December 31st, 2017. Please commit to checking in at least 1x a month to let us know you are on track and to support everyone else. Let's do what we can to keep this thread lively.

Post your starting pic by 12/31/2016.

Attachments

• 20161223_114229.jpg
    20161223_114229.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 51

faithVA

Welcome to APL 2017. Everyone is welcome.

Post the following to join in

What length are you now?
Hovering between SL and collar bone length

Color treated natural

What's your regimen?
Co wash and LOC daily
Shampoo and DC twice a week
Demi permanent color and rollerset every 8-10 weeks
Redo mini braids every 6-8 weeks

More clean eating and exercising
Increase water intake
Keep ends covered

Back and sides to reach APLENTY
Thicken up front hairline

October 2017

The challenge will officially start on January 1st, 2017 and end December 31st, 2017. Please commit to checking in at least 1x a month to let us know you are on track and to support everyone else. Let's do what we can to keep this thread lively.

Post your starting pic by 12/31/2016.
Hey lady. I haven't hung out with you in a while. Welcome.

LostInAdream

I'm in!

What length are you now?

NL

Natural

What's your regimen?

I will be in braids or crotchet all year. Hair- Oil and moisturize daily. Shampoo, DC w/steam weekly. Redo perimeter braids monthly. Trim every 3 months-Jan 1st/Apr 1st/Jul 1st/Oct 1st.

Stay consistent with regime, exercise, vitamins, be gentle with hair at all times.

Back that's the shortest part that's NL.

December

I don't have pics as I'm in braids. But will get a pic when i redo the back this week.

auntybe

What length are you now? NL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? NATURAL

What's your regimen? WASH 2X A WEEK, DEEP CONDITION EACH WASH DAY, MOISTURIZE DAILY. PLAIT HAIR UNDER WIG

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL? REGULAR TRIMS. TIE HAIR UP AT NIGHT.

What's your goal month if any? DECEMBER 2018 OR BEFORE

Post your starting pic of areas NOTAPL. Will post after 1-2017 trim.