Apl Challenge 2017

IslandMummy

Welcome to APL 2017. Everyone is welcome.

Post the following to join in

What length are you now? Claiming shoulder

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Natural

What's your regimen? Wigs and protective style underneath

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL? Everything

Goal areas: back, front, sides, crowns. All over

What's your goal month if any?
December

Last edited:

Evolving78

Hey ladies! I ended up self relaxing last night. My hair naturally grows in layers and I cut a lot off within the last six months, but I'm claiming SL. I will post a pic Sunday on the 1st.

Since I did a bunch of cutting, I didn't need a trim. I wanna rollerset and flat iron, but I need to do a length check.

I also started to use WGHO today. I used a few drop directly on my scalp in certain areas. I read that it helps soften the roots and new growth. I will use it once after wash day, so that a total of 2 days. I will only apply it to a clean scalp.

DST1913

Hey ladies! I ended up self relaxing last night. My hair naturally grows in layers and I cut a lot off within the last six months, but I'm claiming SL. I will post a pic Sunday on the 1st.

Since I did a bunch of cutting, I didn't need a trim. I wanna rollerset and flat iron, but I need to do a length check.

I also started to use WGHO today. I used a few drop directly on my scalp in certain areas. I read that it helps soften the roots and new growth. I will use it once after wash day, so that a total of 2 days. I will only apply it to a clean scalp.

That WGO had me scratching my scalp like a crackhead. I wonder if im allergic to it. My bf also HATES the smell. He says I smell like nature. Lol

It did add softness. I see a lot of people say it helps with growth. I havent experienced that one.

Evolving78

That WGO had me scratching my scalp like a crackhead. I wonder if im allergic to it. My bf also HATES the smell. He says I smell like nature. Lol

It did add softness. I see a lot of people say it helps with growth. I havent experienced that one.
Yeah I think it has sulfur in it. That's too funny! That's why I'm gonna use it one time. I know I will get talked about! Lol that will be nice to see if it helps with growth. I used it many years ago, and it didn't do nothing. I like the bottle though! Lol

victory777

Good Afternoon Ladies!!
Oh my w/Mielle Organics Babassu conditioner!! First time user here, and I felt the tingles !!! I actually like the weird peppermint/lemon smell. I'm hoping my consistent d/c's will contribute to my retention this year.

Evolving78

WGHO causes too much buildup on my hair. I had to stop using it...but it works.
How often were you using it? A lot of ladies said it caused them buildup, but they were using it more than recommended.
Like right now, my scalp has pretty much absorbed it. I know (I like to just keep putting products in my hair out of boredom) that I will have buildup, if I'm not careful. Would you use it again?

NefertariBlu

Hi ladies,

I've decided I'm not going to try for APL in 2017. I've been trying for so long that is not fun anymore.

I was going to decide at the end of 2017 what to do if I didn't reach my goal of APL I can't be bothered to go through it again. I've realised it's just not attainable on loose hair for me.

I've decided to loc in 2017. I've already booked my appointment for the 5th of January for my instalation.

Good luck on your journeys to APL 2017 :)

gvin89

Hi ladies,

I've decided I'm not going to try for APL in 2017. I've been trying for so long that is not fun anymore.

I was going to decide at the end of 2017 what to do if I didn't reach my goal of APL I can't be bothered to go through it again. I've realised it's just not attainable on loose hair for me.

I've decided to loc in 2017. I've already booked my appointment for the 5th of January for my instalation.

Good luck on your journeys to APL 2017 :)
Wishing you all the best @NefertariBlu ....I briefly considered it the past 2 months and decided I wasn't ready to spend $400- $600 on sisterloc installation. I do think they're gorgeous though.

Last edited:

gvin89

How often were you using it? A lot of ladies said it caused them buildup, but they were using it more than recommended.
Like right now, my scalp has pretty much absorbed it. I know (I like to just keep putting products in my hair out of boredom) that I will have buildup, if I'm not careful. Would you use it again?
@shortdub78, just once daily, but maybe I was heavy handed. I've tried on and off for my entire natural journey and even on my girls every other day. I love the way it makes our hair feels, but not the buildup. Yep, I still have 2 bottles and will probably use it again.

Curls&Justice417

I don't know why I didn't join this challenge sooner! Exactly what I'm looking for. I like to ramble and type so hopefully y'all don't mind :lachen:

What length are you now? Shoulder

What's your regimen? Well, I'm revamping it for the new year (mainly product wise) but here's what I had in mind:
  • Prepoo before every shampoo with avocado, sweet almond, and argon oil.
  • Wash with a moisturizing shampoo once weekly.
  • Deep condition with heat for at least 30 minutes once weekly.
  • Cowash once a week or when needed when doing natural styles (twists/braid outs...no wash and gos yet for this lady)
  • Clarify/chelate when needed.
  • I'll be wearing my hair in flat twist outs a lot. I also want to dabble in perm rods, flexi rods, curl formers, and magnetic rollers.
  • Sometimes I may choose to blow dry and flat iron. I'm not afraid of heat, as long as it's not excessive. I'm going to shoot for once a month (if I feel like wearing it straight)

What do you need to do/change to reach APL?
  • The products I have just aren't really working for me. I need a good solid regimen with quality products that don't weigh my hair down and cause build up.
  • I want to master some cute heat-less styles (or direct heat styles since I will most likely use a hooded dryer for roller sets)
  • Listen to my hair. Does it need protein? Does it need moisture? I like to do things on a strict schedule and sometimes my hair just doesn't roll that way. She wants protein NOW even though it's supposed to be next week :nono2: Basically, go with flow more while still having a schedule.
Goal areas: Back and front. I don't mind to have layers that aren't quite APL

What's your goal month if any? I'd really like to hit APL by summer. We'll say July 1st :yep:

Post your starting pic of areas NOT APL.
I had to blur my face out. Looking like a mugshot...not pretty lol

Attachments

• 2017-01-01_16.25.42.jpg
    2017-01-01_16.25.42.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

NefertariBlu

Wishing you all the best @NefertariBlu ....I briefly considered it the past 2 months and decided I wasn't ready to spend $400- $600 on sisterloc installation. I do think they're gorgeous though.
Thank you.

I'm not doing sister locs, I'm not really a fan of them. I'm getting traditional locs so the whole installation is going to cost £45 including washing.

I'm so excited!

Evolving78

Thank you.

I'm not doing sister locs, I'm not really a fan of them. I'm getting traditional locs so the whole installation is going to cost £45 including washing.

I'm so excited!
I started my own locs a few times, then I wanted to start interlocking, so instead of sister locs, I got my own hair braided in small sections with diamond parts. I love locs and love the process! Good luck and hope you have a nice experience at the shop!

Evolving78

I don't know why I didn't join this challenge sooner! Exactly what I'm looking for. I like to ramble and type so hopefully y'all don't mind :lachen:

What's your regimen? Well, I'm revamping it for the new year (mainly product wise) but here's what I had in mind:
  • Cowash once a week or when needed when doing natural styles (twists/braid outs...no wash and gos yet for this lady)
  • I'll be wearing my hair in flat twist outs a lot. I also want to dabble in perm rods, flexi rods, curl formers, and magnetic rollers.
  • Sometimes I may choose to blow dry and flat iron. I'm not afraid of heat, as long as it's not excessive. I'm going to shoot for once a month (if I feel like wearing it straight)

• The products I have just aren't really working for me. I need a good solid regimen with quality products that don't weigh my hair down and cause build up.
  • I want to master some cute heat-less styles (or direct heat styles since I will most likely use a hooded dryer for roller sets)
  • Listen to my hair. Does it need protein? Does it need moisture? I like to do things on a strict schedule and sometimes my hair just doesn't roll that way. She wants protein NOW even though it's supposed to be next week :nono2: Basically, go with flow more while still having a schedule.

What's your goal month if any? I'd really like to hit APL by summer. We'll say July 1st :yep:

It's coming:click:
Welcome! You got a good Reggie! I'm all about having good products! Consider looking at a line that can cater to natural and heat styling.

Last edited:

faithVA

It's coming:click:
Well this is the place for rambling and writing. I thank you in advance for keeping the thread active.

victory777

I've been enjoying being hair lazy with my flat twists.
Using Xcel 21 to scalp and APB refreshers to hair. Sealing with some type of hair cream.
I plan on ordering more refreshers during her sale

Evolving78

I don't know if I said I was gonna cowash in this thread, but I take that all back!
I tried and my hair felt so coated! I even tried to use a sulfate free shampoo to remove it...no ma'am. I had to jump out of the shower and get the sulfates! lol I had to wash twice, then use a Moisturizing shampoo. My hair feels better. I'll be airdrying, but I see I just need to stick with the shampoos. I didn't mean to wash my hair today. I just wanna to cowash and play! Lol

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
@IslandMummy

I always do my cornrows on blowdried hair. I oil my scalp 2x a week, do LCO 2-3x per week and GHE 1x per week. I keep my ends pinned up and take them down once a week to really focus on moisturising them. Once every 2 weeks I prepoo my cornrows with sweet almond oil/vatika oil, cowash, then apply diluted shampoo to my scalp only and give it a good scrub. I let the suds clean the cornrows themselves. My DC is applied to the cornrows directly (DC 1/2 hr under my hot head conditioning cap), then rinsed with cool water, apply LI and airdry.

With the above regimen when I take down my cornrows my hair is still nicely moisturised and soft.

Probably the main factor in maintaining neatness is that I wig or have my hair tied down >90% of the time (because of work) so my cornrows hold strong until week 6.

Note: At the 6 week mark I take down my cornrows, fully detangle on dry hair with sweet almond oil or vatika oil, prepoo/cowash/shampoo as above/protein dc with heat/moisture dc with heat/apply LI/blowdry on high flow, medium heat.

HTH!

Last edited:

Evolving78

@shortdub78, just once daily, but maybe I was heavy handed. I've tried on and off for my entire natural journey and even on my girls every other day. I love the way it makes our hair feels, but not the buildup. Yep, I still have 2 bottles and will probably use it again.
You are right! It does cause a white sticky stuff. But I will still use it, since I wash 2x a week.

Last edited:

NefertariBlu

I started my own locs a few times, then I wanted to start interlocking, so instead of sister locs, I got my own hair braided in small sections with diamond parts. I love locs and love the process! Good luck and hope you have a nice experience at the shop!

You didn't continue with them? Would you get them again?

I've never had them before but I think I'm ready now. I've been watching a ton of videos on them and I love how different they look.

Evolving78

You didn't continue with them? Would you get them again?

I've never had them before but I think I'm ready now. I've been watching a ton of videos on them and I love how different they look.
I had them for awhile, and just wanted a change. I didn't have any trouble at all. I loved the whole process, as well as all of the stages. I combed my locs out back in 2011.
And yes, I would get them again. I started with two strand twists. I did all of my own maintenance.