Apl Challenge 2017

Evolving78

I will be doing a gloss/clear rinse Tuesday. The rinse I applied is long gone, since My touchup.
I got those good hair day pins. Broke one already..smh I need some spin pins! But I will just have to use my hair clips to bun, until I can buy some next month. I'm done buying hair stuff for awhile.

Evolving78

Giving my hair an prepoo oil treatment/baggy. I didn't moisturize, or seal yesterday, so I'm doing this give my hair some moisture, to lubricant my ends, and finger detangle to remove shed hairs. I had a few broken pieces from mechanical damage.

Why don't we discuss breakage more? I wonder who is truly free from it? People say they don't have breakage, but they have to cut 1-2 inches of hair off. If you deal with split ends, that's breakage. Withering ends is breakage.

faithVA

Giving my hair an prepoo oil treatment/baggy. I didn't moisturize, or seal yesterday, so I'm doing this give my hair some moisture, to lubricant my ends, and finger detangle to remove shed hairs. I had a few broken pieces from mechanical damage.

Why don't we discuss breakage more? I wonder who is truly free from it? People say they don't have breakage, but they have to cut 1-2 inches of hair off. If you deal with split ends, that's breakage. Withering ends is breakage.

I think there is quite a bit of talk about breakage but it's usually Onan I divodual basis and it's spread throughout different threads. People talk about the different methods to combat.

I think most people experience some forms of breakage or issue with their ends even if they do everything "right".

My ends are getting better but I still have a lot of breakage so I do what I can and just deal with the rest.

Evolving78

I think there is quite a bit of talk about breakage but it's usually Onan I divodual basis and it's spread throughout different threads. People talk about the different methods to combat.

I think most people experience some forms of breakage or issue with their ends even if they do everything "right".

My ends are getting better but I still have a lot of breakage so I do what I can and just deal with the rest.
I'm more going in the direction of people who say they don't experience breakage, yet they do big trims later, have thinning ends, etc.. that's still considered breakage.

Evolving78

It is breakage. Maybe they aren't seeing it when it happens so they are unaware.
Yep! I have been watching a lot of Dr. Akbari's videos and others about hydration, figuring out why the hair might be breaking, etc... I'm really trying to get rid of the mindset of the "Miracle product". Having good products helps, but understanding how to combat the dryness is something else. My hair gets dry when I have a bunch of product on it, when the air is dry, dusty, or windy, I haven't been using heat, even though that helps me with my moisturizers to absorb better, starting to drink more water, etc...

faithVA

Yep! I have been watching a lot of Dr. Akbari's videos and others about hydration, figuring out why the hair might be breaking, etc... I'm really trying to get rid of the mindset of the "Miracle product". Having good products helps, but understanding how to combat the dryness is something else. My hair gets dry when I have a bunch of product on it, when the air is dry, dusty, or windy, I haven't been using heat, even though that helps me with my moisturizers to absorb better, starting to drink more water, etc...
I will follow you to see what you figure out. I have a lot of breakage but way less than I did last year this time. I don't know if no breakage is possible. I will see how it goes this year.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Washed and quick conditioned my hair last night. I started with a broccoli seed oil prepoo.

Afterwards I detangled, oiled my scalp with Keracare scalp grease...and put my hair in 4 sections, then fell asleep. Oops.

I woke up this morning tasked with having to do flat twists ( I can't cornrow) before work.

Evolving78

I just got out of the shower, from showering and rinsing my conditioner combo off. (Layered DE, keracare, and Aphogee 2min on my lower strands and ends dc'ed for 10 mins under heat, applied Keracare more, got back under for another 10 mins)
I had to talk myself through the cold water rinsing process, but I like how my hair feels. I know better than to rinse out conditioner with hot water, but yeah I'm rebellious! Lol that cold water was torture! lol I'm drying my hair now with a tee shirt. I decided to get back to allowing the shirt to soak up as much water as possible, before applying my leave-ins.
Just trying to do better and stop being lazy.
Also, I'm coming to terms with no more bone straight hair. I know how to get my new growth straight like a relaxer. I just have to be patience with detangling, combing and not having super straight hair anymore.

Upom watching the Akbari video, and my own understanding (esthetics) as long as you use a shampoo that isn't drying, meaning it is of the same ph level as hair, it is safe to wash 2 twice a week, and just follow with deep conditioning. If your hair is dried out, either you are using a shampoo that isn't formulated properly for your hair, or you have an unbalance of moisture that needs to be corrected.

faithVA

I just got out of the shower, from showering and rinsing my conditioner combo off. (Layered DE, keracare, and Aphogee 2min on my lower strands and ends dc'ed for 10 mins under heat, applied Keracare more, got back under for another 10 mins)
I had to talk myself through the cold water rinsing process, but I like how my hair feels. I know better than to rinse out conditioner with hot water, but yeah I'm rebellious! Lol that cold water was torture! lol I'm drying my hair now with a tee shirt. I decided to get back to allowing the shirt to soak up as much water as possible, before applying my leave-ins.
Just trying to do better and stop being lazy.
Also, I'm coming to terms with no more bone straight hair. I know how to get my new growth straight like a relaxer. I just have to be patience with detangling, combing and not having super straight hair anymore.

Upom watching the Akbari video, and my own understanding (esthetics) as long as you use a shampoo that isn't drying, meaning it is of the same ph level as hair, it is safe to wash 2 twice a week, and just follow with deep conditioning. If your hair is dried out, either you are using a shampoo that isn't formulated properly for your hair, or you have an unbalance of moisture that needs to be corrected.
I think there are probably some other causes as well. Shampooing my hair every two weeks is fine but my hair doesn't produce enough oils on its own to handle washing twice a week.

I've been through a range of shampoos and it's just a bad idea. When I was relaxed that probably would have. Even fine but not as a natural head.

I understand the theory but theories usually work in upto 80%. They never address the outliers.

Evolving78

I think there are probably some other causes as well. Shampooing my hair every two weeks is fine but my hair doesn't produce enough oils on its own to handle washing twice a week.

I've been through a range of shampoos and it's just a bad idea. When I was relaxed that probably would have. Even fine but not as a natural head.

I understand the theory but theories usually work in upto 80%. They never address the outliers.
That's why From esthetic standpoint, clients that have a dry skin type, I recommend creamy cleansers. I also have them to use a toner/liquid based lotion to make sure residue is removed, calm the skin, and to bring the ph level back in balance. Clients with oily, or combo I recommend foam. Also I talk to them about what is going on internally. Taking Omega, or fish oil supplements help, drinking more water, etc...
I heavily endorse shampoo, and if you use a non-sulfate I recommend weekly vs every two weeks. The hair is an representation of what is going on externally. All of the stuff we are doing on the outside, it just trying to combat that and keep it on our heads.

But you use other cleansing methods, so shampoo every two weeks is fine.

Wenbev

I tried that cool to cold last rinse and my hair was so tangled, I had to dc it again to try to comb through it. For me cleansing one a week with a clarifying shampoo works. I concentrate more on my scalp than the actual hair. I have realized no shampoo = lots of shedding for me. Since I've gotten into a routine of shampooing regularly, my shed has gone down immensely. I am concerned about breakage as well. But I have learned its trial and error like everything else and product is only a piece of the pie.

faithVA

I tried that cool to cold last rinse and my hair was so tangled, I had to dc it again to try to comb through it. For me cleansing one a week with a clarifying shampoo works. I concentrate more on my scalp than the actual hair. I have realized no shampoo = lots of shedding for me. Since I've gotten into a routine of shampooing regularly, my shed has gone down immensely. I am concerned about breakage as well. But I have learned its trial and error like everything else and product is only a piece of the pie.

I tried the cool water rinse as well. I've tried it several times. My reaction wasn't as bad as yours but my hair wasn't happy. It felt harder and it shrunk up tighter making it harder to work with. I found it was enough to rinse with a more lukewarm water.

I'm actually glad it didn't work out. It was painful.:lol:

Evolving78

@Wenbev
@faithVA
What you ladies experienced with the cold water was the same for me before. I know as a low po, cold water rinsing isn't good. I still haven't gotten my shower filter yet. When I rinse with warm water it feels like the water is leaving something behind and some of the slip from the conditioner has diminished. I believe some the bleached parts of my hair are high po now. That cold shower was not the business! I kept saying just hanging in there and this is a good thing! :lachen:

brownb83

Post the following to join in

What length are you now?
SL
Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?
Relaxed
What's your regimen?
wash once a week, co wash 1-2 times each week. After each wash co wash I rollerset.

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL?

keep my hair moisturerized.

Goal areas: back, front, sides, crowns.

My whole head lol.

What's your goal month if any?
June 2017

Post your starting pic of areas NOT APL.

faithVA

@Wenbev
@faithVA
What you ladies experienced with the cold water was the same for me before. I know as a low po, cold water rinsing isn't good. I still haven't gotten my shower filter yet. When I rinse with warm water it feels like the water is leaving something behind and some of the slip from the conditioner has diminished. I believe some the bleached parts of my hair are high po now. That cold shower was not the business! I kept saying just hanging in there and this is a good thing! :lachen:
Yeah I will let you rock with that one. No cold showers for me.

faithVA

Post the following to join in

What length are you now?
SL
Relaxed
What's your regimen?
wash once a week, co wash 1-2 times each week. After each wash co wash I rollerset.

keep my hair moisturerized.

Goal areas: back, front, sides, crowns.

My whole head lol.

June 2017

Post your starting pic of areas NOT APL.
Welcome to the fun house.

Wenbev

@Wenbev
@faithVA
LOL!!!
once I trying yogurt bc it was all the rage for a while. I literally cried! My hair was like cement LOL Thats when I learned about porosity and protein the hard way...literally

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I want to join.

What length are you now? SL

Transitioning without big chopping.

What's your regimen?
Can't say I have one because I have not been consistent.
Shampoo, deep condition, and detangle once a week or once every other week.
Moisturize and seal with coconut oil every other night.
Rock braidouts when I go out of the house.
Dye haie jet black every 2-3months.

Need to be more consistent with my regimen. Wearing a wig more often would probably help a lot.

Dec. 2017 would be nice but I'm not going to bet on it. I'm not in a rush to get to APL because my last go around drove me nuts. It took over 2 years for me to reach APL. So yeah, maybe I'll get there in a year or maybe it will take two years again.