Are Type 4 Naturals Ignored?

Cheleigh

I wear WnG as my primary style, but I don't care about length anymore. In fact, I always trim significantly whenever I get my color updated. I don't do any of the Cherry Lola, MHM stuff for my hair, although I just bought some Rhassoul clay product for my daughter's hair. I am a DevaCurl devotee (for the past two-three years, was a product junkie before that) so I no-poo once a week or so, and usually dampen/wet my hair every other day and add product (leave-in condish, Deva styling cream) to refresh my WnG if I want it more defined. Everyday I don't dampen or use product my hair gets higher to God and less defined (usually I can go about three days max, then my hair starts to mat/tangle). I never use a comb on my hair (brush for detangling, and fingers otherwise).

Ipanema

I experimented after a wash to see if I could get definition. The only way I could get anything close to definition was by slathering my hair with vaseline. Even then, it was more of a resemblance to instant noodles than curls. Not worth it.

Theresamonet

Is anyone familiar with the YouTuber: Viv HairTherapy? She does not have curly or coils hair. Her texture is more kinky-wavy-straight. But she still rocks wash-n-gos fairly often. They aren’t the poster child for what WnGs should look like, but I think her hair comes out cute.

No gel WnG:

In this finger coil prank video, you get a clear, close up look at her hair texture.

MizzBFly

Is anyone familiar with the YouTuber: Viv HairTherapy? She does not have curly or coils hair. Her texture is more kinky-wavy-straight. But she still rocks wash-n-gos fairly often. They aren’t the poster child for what WnGs should look like, but I think her hair comes out cute.

No gel WnG:

In this finger coil prank video, you get a clear, close up look at her hair texture.

Absolutely! I’ve watched her since she was relaxed. Her hair is fabulous now natural but her hair type cannot be pigeon holed.

Theresamonet

Absolutely! I’ve watched her since she was relaxed. Her hair is fabulous now natural but her hair type cannot be pigeon holed.

It’s good to see someone with this texture that seems to fully embrace and explore it. One of my family members has a similar texture (kinky straight), and she hated her hair. She could not get over the lack of curl or coil. She loc’d about a year after going natural.

I posted Viv to show that WnGs are not only for people with curly hair. Everyone can wash, capture whatever texture they have, and go. The looks will be different and imo, equally beautiful. On the flip side, Ain’t nobody got to do a wash-n-go. No one needs to WnG. It’s just another style that takes time, effort, products, etc. And if one chooses not to do it, so be it. WnGs should not be a litmus test for how much we accept our textures or love ourselves.

charmtreese

I experimented after a wash to see if I could get definition. The only way I could get anything close to definition was by slathering my hair with vaseline. Even then, it was more of a resemblance to instant noodles than curls. Not worth it.

I have a feeling that this is what my hair would do as well.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
When I thought of someone who has hair that seems Type 4 in one hand but also sorta defies the typing system on the other, I thought of Nik Scott. Her hair seems more kinky straight/wavy straight than coily or curly. But I also don’t see it as Type 3. What do y’all think?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I do remember her! I remember her process seeming intimidating and a lot of work lol. But having done the 15-11 steps of MHM and realizing it’s only as involved a process as you make it... I think the things you can do most consistently are going to yield the best results.

Setbacks would, imo, mostly be neglect, letting hair dry out too many days (which is subjective) which will lead to an increased incidence of tangles and breakage, possibly also shedding. Could also be product or technique related (like a protein based gel and protein overload or breakage from a tool like the 9 row Denman brush).
I’d say start simple and work your way up until you were satisfied. Also deciding on a process that isn’t too time consuming but also gives you results you want.
Good luck! And report back!
Do you remember DubaiD4c?
What mishaps should I look out for or be mindful of to prevent a setback doing WnGs?
Since my progress is on an incline with thick full ends, I would detest having a setback. I do have a lot to consider but DubaiDee4c makes it really attainable.

snoop

When I thought of someone who has hair that seems Type 4 in one hand but also sorta defies the typing system on the other, I thought of Nik Scott. Her hair seems more kinky straight/wavy straight than coily or curly. But I also don’t see it as Type 3. What do y’all think?

Her hair looks like type 3 to me. I think that the texture of her hair being on the cottony side is why you think it could be type 4? I know that it gave me pause when I first saw her dry side.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Good to hear, I would have to refresh with all her videos and blog entries to get the tips again.
Please let us know how it goes!

My first week of trialing dubaidee4c's streamlined max hydration method is going great!

My coils are very defined, and I haven't touched my hair since last wash day.

I enjoyed doing the Cherry Lola Caramel Treatment. My hair felt strong and moisturized afterwards. Per someone's advice, I won't be repeating it. Instead, I'm going to try to keep my hair balanced to avoid needing a CLCT.

I tried MahagonyCurls's method of drying my wng overnight by plopping overnight in a microfiber towel.

Life changing!!!

So now, going forward, I'm going to do dubaidee4c's easy MHM regimen, modifying it by adding fermented rice water products into the mix. I will wet my hair every 3 or 4 days and see how that goes.

After reflecting on this thread, I feel like wng's keep me from battling my hair's texture--coils.

Maximally hydrated hair keeps my holy grail gel from drying out my hair. And the gel has such a serious hold that my hair can hardly tangle. :toocool: This is major regimen progress for me. :smile: I'm so grateful.

Theresamonet

Since the hair typing system (Andre’s) really only takes into account the size of the curl or wave, I don’t think she defies it. Her pattern is type 3, although her texture is more kinky. Therein lies the problem with Andre’s system. Im sure her products, techniques, and hair challenges fall more inline with type 4s than other 3a/3b naturals, because of her cottony kinky texture. The size of the curl/wave doesn’t mean as much as we give it credit for, outside of styling.

Last edited:

MizzBFly

**This is my first full head WnG since 2016**
-I’m high porosity
-high density
-curls are smaller in back, looser in front
1. I clay washed with sodium & calcium bentonite along with Rhassoul mixed with AVJ & ACV for 20 min after full applications (mixing with acv alone gives me more detangling properties)
2. DC with Shea moisture argan oil & almond milk masque:love::love:
3. Leave in used- PM the conditioner *instant
moisture*
4. Curls Jelly *so much slip*
5. Wetline Xtreme

My hair turned out frizzy, soft & defined. I have to try plopping next time.

-heart face is Sat night
-Burgundy lippy is Sun afternoon
Glasses pic is this morning, Monday

Why is the DC applied before the clay in Max Hydration again?

ETA- clarification on pics

Attachments

• BA839D8C-679D-49DB-AE1C-3D8AF6431EA2.jpeg
    BA839D8C-679D-49DB-AE1C-3D8AF6431EA2.jpeg
    690 KB · Views: 85
  • D2B2C922-040B-4EF5-8F53-A5958C3254C2.jpeg
    D2B2C922-040B-4EF5-8F53-A5958C3254C2.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 81
  • D9E34089-EC6A-418D-8A5D-700FCCD2AA38.jpeg
    D9E34089-EC6A-418D-8A5D-700FCCD2AA38.jpeg
    823.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Theresamonet

-I’m high porosity
-high density
1. I clay washed with sodium & calcium bentonite along with Rhassoul mixed with AVJ & ACV 20 min after full applications (acv alone gives me more detangling properties)
3. Leave in PM the conditioner *instant
moisture*
5. Wetline Xtreme

My hair turns out frizzy, soft & defined. I have to try plopping next time.

-heart face is Sat night
-Burgundy lippy is Sat afternoon
Glasses is this morning

Beautiful! Did you use the old or new Wetline?

I think it’s just because the clay defines the curls so well, that it’s best to set the hair right after doing the clay treatment. I’ve done it both ways, and ime the hair is always a bit fluffier and less defined when DCing after the clay. I still choose to DC after though. That way is best for actually deeply conditioning my hair.

MizzBFly

Beautiful! Did you use the old or new Wetline?

I think it’s just because the clay defines the curls so well, that it’s best to set the hair right after doing the clay treatment. I’ve done it both ways, and ime the hair is always a bit fluffier and less defined when DCing after the clay. I still choose to DC after though. That way is best for actually deeply conditioning my hair.
Thanks for answering!
I used the old wetline

MizzBFly

@MizzBFly Your Monday hair looks the best of the bunch to me! Wow! :love: I swear the raggedier and older my WnGs get, the better they look! Idk why!:drunk:
Thanks, I agree. I’m going to do WnGs twice a week, I did it again yesterday with a very liquid clay recipe
(I would like to add my Ayurveda to my recipe)
Then tried 4 different curl creams/2 different gels.
I have to find the best method for Max Hydration for high porosity hair, mostly all of the tips/ reviews are for low porosity which *it was developed for*
Yesterday results were more defined and I found a good groove to clump my texture.
ETA- pic

Last edited:

fluffyforever

I don't know about being ignored, but I don't see a lot of naturals with my hair texture on YouTube. I think that's just because I haven't found them yet or maybe not enough of us are eager to film, I sure don't want to be on camera.

Protective Princess and Pinkecube were the two that reminded me the moist of my hair type when doing wash and goes.

I'm a type 4, pen spring size coils all over and with kinky straight strands at the front and crown. I started doing wash and goes using MHM (which got me hooked on WnGs) and now I use Hair Rules products and the Anthony Dickey method to save time. I may start to reincorporate clay washes to my current regimen to add some Ayurvedic techniques.

ThursdayGirl

-I’m high porosity
-high density
1. I clay washed with sodium & calcium bentonite along with Rhassoul mixed with AVJ & ACV for 20 min after full applications (mixing with acv alone gives me more detangling properties)
3. Leave in used- PM the conditioner *instant
moisture*
5. Wetline Xtreme

My hair turned out frizzy, soft & defined. I have to try plopping next time.

-heart face is Sat night
-Burgundy lippy is Sun afternoon
Glasses pic is this morning, Monday

ETA- clarification on pics

What a beautiful WnG. You’re gorgeous BFly.