Are u really a Christian if you dress sexy?

Guitarhero

We have to keep in mind that the church has grown to become somewhat elitist. We turn our backs and shun the very people that we need to welcome.

While I agree that we should have reverence for God even in the way we dress I still believe we ought to be careful of enforcing rules. .

My church is not elitist, we save no seats, we are simply obedient to it. One comes to the church through a conversion process. Again, there is no altar call or any such thing in my church so I am beginning to see what the differences are in this discussion between us. I wish other observant catholics/orthodox would chime in. They are often largely silent for fear of being ostracized but it needn't be true nor expected.

From the protestant end with altar calls, people are concerned that a person who was previously outside the church might be turned away. I understand that. I am catholic. With us, all people are welcomed. You could be sitting beside an abortionist and never know it. However, the true Presence of Christ is there and there is a decorum of dress. One cannot enter a buddhist temple dressed provocatively, neither a synagogue. Visitors to a Hindu wedding are instructed to cover up appropriately. Over-exposure is a no-no and should be respected. One might be asked to leave at an orthodox or Coptic church although most will just look twice and then smile and treat you kindly. But, it's akin to walking in naked.

I believe that our traditions are more in line with our middle-eastern origins and cultural climate, hence the modesty (we used to be required to wear mantillas for respect much like the orthodox synagogue). Well, like I explained before, a priest or two have gently given word in their homilies on abiding by modest dress in order to not be a stumbling block to another. Humans are so complex, we do cause others to sin. We need to be careful of that because G-d will hold us accountable. We can cause our kids to develop anger problems by frustrating them, so we're off the hook in our dress to cause lust in another? No. It's evident in scripture. But I do comprehend the take that no one should be turned away because they are not appropriately dressed. They are not. That does not let us off the hook to be decent and respectful and respect the gentle rebuke of the priests. Most of the guilty are members, not the "lost" looking for salvation who just happened to wonder in. :yep: Most are teens or younger 20-somethings looking for attention and they are consistent with showing too much flesh, weekly. :yep::sad: What about Jesus at that altar? Him...just Him? We have more respect for a president or a senator than for Him.

But if one were in Iraq or Armenia etc., it would be a different story and someone might ask you to make things right before entering the sanctuary. It's not hatred against women, it applies to men as well. Remember, the Temple in Israel only allowed women in the outer court.
There are reasons for that but it's decorum and the first example given.

But just as one would not wear a tee-shirt with the ***-bomb on it into the church, others should be careful to respect the holy Presence of the L-rd. We have Him in Spirit and in physical Body, right there in the tabernacle or the "ark." :yep: I think that things are returning more in line with the past in certain aspects and that might be a good thing. Thing is, we do have instruction, from the priests, from the catechism, from the scriptures. People are so lost with some of the fashions of today, they either don't realize it or don't care. Of course, I agree, we worship. I do. But we are a unified community. It's Our Father, not me, mine and only I to the Father.

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

We used to have a class (It's been 8 years since I have been at my church and it hasn't been offered since I have been there) and it was called "the virtuous woman"
My pastor's wife taught it and it was everything from manners, dress, hair, hygeine, makeup, you name it. I wish she would do that again. Maybe I'll ask her about it on Sunday. But our church is so large now. And she teaches a class every Sunday. Now she's teaching How to Study the Bible.

dicapr

I think that the issue with modesty is that it is social construct. We can preach modesty until we are blue in the face, but until it is spelled out what each congregation defines as modest their will always be a problem. Modesty is always evolving from one generation to the next and each generation seems to push the envelope even more.

Guitarhero

^^^It already is where I worship. That's the point. Maybe other congregations should follow suit for themselves so there's no gray area? Folks are willingly disobeying the mandates over on our side. I'm not arguing my point such that it should be the criteria for everyone else. Not sure if my posts are being comprehended and that troubles me. I don't wish to come across as the spokesperson for modesty in anyone else's denomination. Again, I need to reiterate that my participation in this thread is not to determine who is christian and who is going to heaven...but to touch on the point that people are willfully in disobedience and don't seemingly care when there are set standards outlined. We are losing the sense of the sacred and when that happens, we lose or become desensitized to His Holy Presence before us in the tabernacle. There are so many diff. theological points that I'm afraid my points are not being comprehended....hope not.

Last edited:

makeupgirl

Ok, here's my 2 cents and then i'm going back to work. Personally, I can care less what someone wears to church. That's between them and God or whatever god that they serve. I come to church to worship the almighty King and praise him. Yep, I do look if someone comes in my church in something that would be inappropriate but at the end of the day. Who cares? It has nothing to do with me and my focus is on the service. If the first thing that comes out of anyone's mouth when someone ask how was church, that someone came in dressing like a hoochie or in punk rock attire and we start judging them, then we are no better than those Pharisees back in Jesus' time. Jesus accepted and was friendly with everyone without judging how they look, dress, smelled, etc and some that he hung out with were prosititutes.

Our relationship with God has nothing to do with the way we dress. You can dress like a stripper and still have a relationship with God if you have received Christ as your Lord and Savior. It may be frown upon by us humans to see someone dress provocatively in a church setting and even at work. Basically, her clothing choice should reflect a heart focused on God.

Lets see, however, what Paul says in 1 Timothy 2:8-10 (KJV) "I will therefore that men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array. But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works".

Should we turn away anyone that dresses in a not so modest fashion? No. If that's what they have chosen to wear, then so be it. In my church, I've seen, hoochie, punk rock, bohemian, glam, frumpy, pajama chic, etc. As a member, I didn't care. In fact, I thought it was innovative. I will also like to add that I come to church in a t-shirt (relax it's just my old navy) in fact, one time I did come to church with a nightmare before Christmas t-shirt. I didn't get fussed at, no one really cared and my focus was worshiping and praising God, not to be cute, fashionable, or seductive. However, I'm getting to the point in my old age not to care what other people think and tend to rebel when I"m judged or critized about my own fashion choices (ask my grandmother and mother they will tell you I will rock a pink stripe in my hair and a dog collar for the fun of it) This doesn't mean I'm trying to compromise someone's focus, this is what I have chosen to wear for me but also I'm keeping it classy and I don't show skin.

However, there is one person that will probably stop me from going overboard. My Mama. I always said that there is only 3-4 people we should listen to in adulthood.....God, Mama/Daddy, Boss dude.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
Ok, here's my 2 cents and then i'm going back to work. Personally, I can care less what someone wears to church. That's between them and God or whatever god that they serve. I come to church to worship the almighty King and praise him. Yep, I do look if someone comes in my church in something that would be inappropriate but at the end of the day. Who cares? It has nothing to do with me and my focus is on the service. If the first thing that comes out of anyone's mouth when someone ask how was church, that someone came in dressing like a hoochie or in punk rock attire and we start judging them, then we are no better than those Pharisees back in Jesus' time. Jesus accepted and was friendly with everyone without judging how they look, dress, smelled, etc and some that he hung out with were prosititutes.

Our relationship with God has nothing to do with the way we dress. You can dress like a stripper and still have a relationship with God if you have received Christ as your Lord and Savior. It may be frown upon by us humans to see someone dress provocatively in a church setting and even at work. Basically, her clothing choice should reflect a heart focused on God.

Lets see, however, what Paul says in 1 Timothy 2:8-10 (KJV) "I will therefore that men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array. But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works".

Should we turn away anyone that dresses in a not so modest fashion? No. If that's what they have chosen to wear, then so be it. In my church, I've seen, hoochie, punk rock, bohemian, glam, frumpy, pajama chic, etc. As a member, I didn't care. In fact, I thought it was innovative. I will also like to add that I come to church in a t-shirt (relax it's just my old navy) in fact, one time I did come to church with a nightmare before Christmas t-shirt. I didn't get fussed at, no one really cared and my focus was worshiping and praising God, not to be cute, fashionable, or seductive. However, I'm getting to the point in my old age not to care what other people think and tend to rebel when I"m judged or critized about my own fashion choices (ask my grandmother and mother they will tell you I will rock a pink stripe in my hair and a dog collar for the fun of it) This doesn't mean I'm trying to compromise someone's focus, this is what I have chosen to wear for me but also I'm keeping it classy and I don't show skin.

However, there is one person that will probably stop me from going overboard. My Mama. I always said that there is only 3-4 people we should listen to in adulthood.....God, Mama/Daddy, Boss dude.

Thank you!

And it's funny because some women in this thread would go to church in EXPENSIVE clothing. Isn't that not modest? Yet they with try to justify why they do. Modesty does not just mean not showing skin. The Bible does not even imply modesty = no skin.

makeupgirl

Thank you!

And it's funny because some women in this thread would go to church in EXPENSIVE clothing. Isn't that not modest? Yet they with try to justify why they do. Modesty does not just mean not showing skin. The Bible does not even imply modesty = no skin.

This is so true. Also, those who are going to church any way that may seem wrong to some, may be all that they have to wear and may be comfortable. The phrase come as you are may not be appealing to some people but God looks on the heart, not our outward appearence.

**I"m seriously, thinking about rolling out of bed Sunday and going straight to church*** j/k :grin::lachen:

SND411

The Bible is clear for both male and female to be properly covered.

I agree Shimmie. The problem is, the "church" makes it appear like it is solely the womens' concern.

I speak out about this so much because I have seen women turn away from the faith because of this.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Thank you!

And it's funny because some women in this thread would go to church in EXPENSIVE clothing.

Isn't that not modest? Yet they with try to justify why they do. Modesty does not just mean not showing skin. The Bible does not even imply modesty = no skin.

Maybe with our hair. :look: :lol:

And if nothing else most have it hidden or tucked into a protective style.

As for women in THIS thread who dress with expensive garments to impress. I believe the total opposite of these women you speak of. None of these women you speak of are immodest.

Most of them have families and with their whole hearts, they give to their loved ones before they even think of giving to themselves, let alone an expensive outfit to show off in Church.

I've been around them 'here' for quite a while now and in that time you get to know their hearts. What you shared doesn't fit them.

No :nono: not at all. The ones you may be speaking of have 'virtue', priced far above rubies.

Immodesty is not named among them. Their garments are without reproach in any definition.

Shimmie

Staff member
I agree Shimmie. The problem is, the "church" makes it appear like it is solely the womens' concern.

I speak out about this so much because I have seen women turn away from the faith because of this.

I 'hear' you. And I've been 'there' when I've had someone 'rebuke' my apparel or give me the 'side-eye'. I've had this happen on the bus when I've worn a summer outfit and there were a hen house set of 'Churched' women commenting to one another about my clothing. And it was only the 'color' that was the attention getter, not the style.

I had on a pair of knee length red coulottes (sp?) :lol: Good Grief! And these women were trippin' all over what I had on. And I wasn't in Church, I was on my way to the mall. :lol:

I did have my toes out, though; and they were also painted 'red'. So maybe that was it. :look:

But here's my question:

Why it allowed in the Jewish faith, Muslim Faith, to stearnly admonish the women of their apparel and even to cover their hair; and they are quite adament about this... and yet when the Christian Church says something, great offense is taken?

I just don't understand the issue with this?

BTW: I hope my 'true story' about my red coulottes and red painted toe nails made you smile... :yep:

SND411

Maybe with our hair. :look: :lol:

And if nothing else most have it hidden or tucked into a protective style.

As for women in THIS thread who dress with expensive garments to impress. I believe the total opposite of these women you speak of. None of these women you speak of are immodest.

Most of them have families and with their whole hearts, they give to their loved ones before they even think of giving to themselves, let alone an expensive outfit to show off in Church.

I've been around them 'here' for quite a while now and in that time you get to know their hearts. What you shared doesn't fit them.

No :nono: not at all. The ones you may be speaking of have 'virtue', priced far above rubies.

Immodesty is not named among them. Their garments are without reproach in any definition.

I apologize to everyone in this thread.

SND411

Why it allowed in the Jewish faith, Muslim Faith, to stearnly admonish the women of their apparel and even to cover their hair; and they are quite adament about this... and yet when the Christian Church says something, great offense is taken?

I just don't understand the issue with this?

And don't these religions have a record of spiritual abuse against women? The correlation is not incidental. There is more concern about the outer appearance than the heart. They are so adamant about what the female members are doing while men who sin all over the place are not nearly reprimanded as they should be.

Shimmie, I have no issue of women and men dressing modestly. I do so myself. But people admonishing women for what they wear usually has nothing to do with "obeying" scripture.

We are neither the Jewish or Muslim faith, thank God!

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
You raise a good point about modesty..it's a double-edge sword... one extreme or another. i.e., one can overdress , wear excessive jewlery, makeup, etc., and look like a clown in church as well. Whether it's with too much or too little, there is extremity and God is a God of balance. Wearing something expensive doesn't make for not being modest if a person can afford it. There ARE rich Christians. :yep: Something is off-balance is if someone is sacrificing their bills, etc to buy expensive clothes.

It's funny that people come in this forum to express that these same extremeties are what turns them off from churches, yet when the issue is addressed in all honesty, it then goes back to it being a matter of worship being between them and God. Of course it is!

But, if how people dress for church wasn't a problem, those same folks would go to church anyway, no? Because, after all, it's a personal relationship with God.

Can't have it both ways. :look:

And if anyone mentioned this, ITA that modesty isn't only about clothes. I'm sure we all know that...

Thank you!

Ladybelle

And alllllllllllllllll this time all I thought all you had to do to be a Christian is believe that Jesus is Lord,that he died on the cross & repent of your sins. Where have I been?

I doubt Jesus is getting caught up in appearances, he looks at the heart. Although how we dress can be a reflection of what's in our hearts - it doesn't make us any less Christian. That's just IMHO! :)

Shimmie

Staff member
And don't these religions have a record of spiritual abuse against women? The correlation is not incidental. There is more concern about the outer appearance than the heart. They are so adamant about what the female members are doing while men who sin all over the place are not nearly reprimanded as they should be.

Shimmie, I have no issue of women and men dressing modestly. I do so myself. But people admonishing women for what they wear usually has nothing to do with "obeying" scripture.

We are neither the Jewish or Muslim faith, thank God!

Only the terrorists have the abusive behaviour.

The Jewish women in my community are pretty happy with their babies and their husbands. I see young couples walking during the weekends; families of the husbands and wives and they're all dressed according to their faith and seem to be content with it.

I have several Muslim friends and they are not oppressed, they seem to be accepting of what's required of them.

My family members who are Seventh Day Adventists are not complaining about not wearing make-up, fancy clothing or jewelry. They're content.

No one is forcing them or abusing them to honour a dress code. They are living what's being asked of them in line with their faith.

I 'hear' what you're saying about the approach from some of the Church women. I've been there, which is why I shared my story with you. I've been a 'target' (so to speak) of this approach.

Yet the Church gets the beat down about it, in comparison to other religions who are much stricter with their customes.

I hope I'm making sense. Even more, I hope my post isn't coming as an offense to your feelings. I wish we had 'audio' posts. You'd hear the softness in my speech. I'm simply sharing, not attacking. :yep:

SND411

Only the terrorists have the abusive behaviour.

The Jewish women in my community are pretty happy with their babies and their husbands. I see young couples walking during the weekends; families of the husbands and wives and they're all dressed according to their faith and seem to be content with it.

I have several Muslim friends and they are not oppressed, they seem to be accepting of what's required of them.

My family members who are Seventh Day Adventists are not complaining about not wearing make-up, fancy clothing or jewelry. They're content.

No one is forcing them or abusing them to honour a dress code. They are living what's being asked of them in line with their faith.

I 'hear' what you're saying about the approach from some of the Church women. I've been there, which is why I shared my story with you. I've been a 'target' (so to speak) of this approach.

Yet the Church gets the beat down about it, in comparison to other religions who are much stricter with their customes.

I hope I'm making sense. Even more, I hope my post isn't coming as an offense to your feelings. I wish we had 'audio' posts. You'd hear the softness in my speech. I'm simply sharing, not attacking. :yep:

I don't think that all women are oppressed in those religions. But those religions have a LONG record of giving more religious privileges to men than women.

Guitarhero

What's funny is that MY example was the extreme demonstration of uber sexuality in the sanctuary, not jewelry, not modern fashion, but t & a and lots of it flaunted before everybody. This type of clothing does NOT belong in a holy sanctuary and I'm not exaggerating, I'm finding the closest examples of what I see on a regular basis:

http://www.reviewstl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Salma-Hayek-MMA-Fighting-Movie.jpg

Neither does this one:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0DWgpnhub...llar+Jean+Short+Shorts+AD+patriotic+forum.png

Looking naked from behind? It's ridiculous:

http://www.emilieinc.net/uploaded_images/naked-728728.jpg

Nor this, esp. on someone 50+ sorry...

http://morningbounce.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/fall-must-haves_jeggings3.png

The EXTREME. If there's only 1 inch between our eyes and your nipples on the rim, it is not sanctuary attire. Would you meet the Pope that way? I cannot believe folks act as though they don't comprehend the extreme examples. :rolleyes: These extremes have been witnessed and on a regular basis. Funny enough, the dress code for visiting sacred places in other catholic countries means no tanks or shoulderlessness. It's a major sign of disrepect. Save your clubbing clothing for the .....CLUB.

Last edited:

makeupgirl

What's funny is that MY example was the extreme demonstration of uber sexuality in the sanctuary, not jewelry, not modern fashion, but t & a and lots of it flaunted before everybody. This type of clothing does NOT belong in a holy sanctuary:

http://www.reviewstl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Salma-Hayek-MMA-Fighting-Movie.jpg

Neither does this one:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0DWgpnhub...llar+Jean+Short+Shorts+AD+patriotic+forum.png

The EXTREME. If there's only 1 inch between our eyes and your nipples on the rim, it is not sanctuary attire. Would you meet the Pope that way? I cannot believe folks act as though they don't comprehend the extreme examples. :rolleyes:

Jeggings? Oh never mind I had a brain fart. lol These items are definitely something I would be to self-conscious to wear.

Guitarhero

^^Jeggings are fine as long as you cover up your camel toe..but to wear pants so tight, you either see through them or outline your vulva and put it to stripper shoes...man! Just like that specific jegging look.

Guitarhero

Why people push modesty so severely on women is beyond me.

For men as well. But women have all the curves and more areas that should be covered up.

. A woman may dress inappropriately today because she is just getting to know Christ, but tomorrow she could be a church leader and a great example to other women.

We all have to start somewhere.

:yep:

We get to know Christ 8 days after birth at baptism. :ohwell: Again, we don't have these emotional outburts of repentance and whatnot. It's from birth with the family and we're highly ordered. Our mass here is the exact same mass in Papua New Guinea, Rome or the North Pole. Cultures may differ, songs may differ, but the words of the mass, the prayers, the substance is the exact same, ordered and united based upon church law. Even drug addicts and prostitutes who come back to the church...dress appropriately. I hope to continue to refer to the specific examples I provided for what's happening on our end. I cannot believe anyone would find it respectful. You don't wear Jesse J's bodysuit to church...although I know someone who did, minus the holes, though.

For communion, Fr. won't give it if you have the wrong attitude or are inappropriately dressed. A streetwalker (male/female) could have come inside after clients, decided to sit through the mass but they aren't in good standing...they wouldn't be taking it anyway. The Holy Spirit would have convicted them in the first place. It's literally Jesus handed to you or placed into your mouth...literally Him and that's why no one can take communion unworthily. There's rules for that...so it's not like someone wouldn't be nice to a druggie/streetwalker...I've seen them before...no big deal...but the majority of the culprits are regulars and observant. Are there any other catholics on here chiming in? WTHeck is happening with us?

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
^^Jeggings are fine as long as you cover up your camel toe..but to wear pants so tight, you either see through them or outline your vulva and put it to stripper shoes...man! Just like that specific jegging look.

Please tell me what 'Camel Toe' is / means /

What on earth... :lachen:

Shimmie

Staff member
What's funny is that MY example was the extreme demonstration of uber sexuality in the sanctuary, not jewelry, not modern fashion, but t & a and lots of it flaunted before everybody. This type of clothing does NOT belong in a holy sanctuary and I'm not exaggerating, I'm finding the closest examples of what I see on a regular basis:

Neither does this one:

Looking naked from behind? It's ridiculous:

http://www.emilieinc.net/uploaded_images/naked-728728.jpg

The EXTREME. If there's only 1 inch between our eyes and your nipples on the rim, it is not sanctuary attire. Would you meet the Pope that way? I cannot believe folks act as though they don't comprehend the extreme examples. :rolleyes: These extremes have been witnessed and on a regular basis. Funny enough, the dress code for visiting sacred places in other catholic countries means no tanks or shoulderlessness. It's a major sign of disrepect. Save your clubbing clothing for the .....CLUB.

Now why you all up in my clothes closet? :fistshake:

I was saving these for my Sunday Best...

Geeeeee whiz .................:lol::lol::lol:

Shimmie

Staff member
I can relate...as the weather warms up I joke to myself about the outfits that I know will be worn in church. I'm talking skin tight, short dresses with fishnet tights. Halter tops, tube tops, flip flops, t-shirts, jeans hanging off the butt, etc... I do not like to see my people dress in that manner but I would not attend a church that had a rule concerning the dress code. :blush:

Again, maybe I am different but I did not grow up in the church and when I got saved I was in college. I did not know what was considered appropriate and although I had work experience I was a young college child and dressed in that manner. Had I went to a church that made me feel uncomfortable or condemned because I did not adhere to the rules they created vs. the expectations in the bible I probably would not have gotten saved when I did. Even after I was saved I missed many church services because I feared I would be shunned if I was not dressed in a way they thought was appropriate. It wasn't until I moved and attended a different church that I found that I had no reason NOT to go to church because I would be received lovingly in a t-shirt and flip flops or in suit. As I grew financially and spiritually so did my wardrobe so now I can afford to dress appropriately but I remember when I was not able to do so and that keep me humble. I love the fact that I can invite someone off the street who is wearing casual/urban clothing to my church and they would not feel condemned.

We have to keep in mind that the church has grown to become somewhat elitist. We turn our backs and shun the very people that we need to welcome.

While I agree that we should have reverence for God even in the way we dress I still believe we ought to be careful of enforcing rules. My grandmother attended a church wear the woman could not wear pants, open toe shoes, earrings, makeup, or dye their hair. What does any of that have to do with God? If me wearing make up and earrings will cause another man to lust after me then he needs to have a long talk with Jesus, my attire should be controlled by another sinner because of their opinions on what is appropriate when the word of God does not condemn such things.

Speaking of make-up... most men are more attracted to women without it. :yep:

I just thought of this reading your last paragraph.

Just reading :bookworm: Just sharing... a thought ;yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
And alllllllllllllllll this time all I thought all you had to do to be a Christian is believe that Jesus is Lord,that he died on the cross & repent of your sins. Where have I been?

I doubt Jesus is getting caught up in appearances, he looks at the heart.

Although how we dress can be a reflection of what's in our hearts - it doesn't make us any less Christian. That's just IMHO! :)

I don't know Ladybelle....

With some of these see through garments these days, they're making it quite easy for the heart to be seen. :look:

You know I had to say something 'smart'.... :blush3:

:kiss: Hugs to you, hubby and family... :love2:

Shimmie

Staff member
^^ alright then Shimmie. :lachen:

Ladybelle, Laela, Guitarhero.....

:pop:

I sitting up here watching 'Iman' (my favorite model) and she's promoting her new style of 'Harem Pants'. They are adorable. :yep:

I'm tryna' decide which color I want. :scratchch:

I love the Bronze and I really like that Green too. I love Blue.:yep:

I wish she had them in Red, though. Hmmmm, :yep:

This is how I basically dress :yep: Loose fits.

http://fashion.hsn.com/iman-global-...438|im0002&prev=hp!sf!5438&ccm=fa|5438|im0002

And I'm NOT a LOOSE Woman :cry4:

... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
^^:lol: :lol: Hey, those pants are chic... I like the Bronze best. The Tan and Chambray ensembles are cute, too... :yep: