Can/Should a Christian woman still be "sexy"?

PaperClip

Here's my response from the OT thread:

Yes, esp. since sexy is relative, meaning that sexiness is in the eye of the beholder.

My Christian husband had better find my sexy and vice versa! Being saved/Christian doesn't dissolve your sex appeal. It does CHECK YOU on WHO gets the benefits of that appeal. Sexual expression belongs within the healthy confines of marriage...as a Christian.

Suerte

Probably not.

But you know how certain people make up their own rules when it comes to religion.

Somewhere there's a so-called Christian woman in 4 inch heels and a face full of makeup in a skin tight wrap dress who calls her style sexy/classy/elegant using umpteen excuses for why it is okay for her to 'adorn the temple of her body that God has given her'.

:rolleyes:

DayStar

Probably not.

But you know how certain people make up their own rules when it comes to religion.

Somewhere there's a so-called Christian woman in 4 inch heels and a face full of makeup in a skin tight wrap dress who calls her style sexy/classy/elegant using umpteen excuses for why it is okay for her to 'adorn the temple of her body that God has given her'.

why did you go there? :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

PaperClip

Probably not.

Aaannnddddd????

For the record, I probably wouldn't wear such an outfit to church but if I was going out to dinner with my husband and had the tight body for it it was a Manolo Blanik 4-inch heel and not the clear acrylic platform, it's all good to me.

Butterfly08

Most of the Christian women in my church aren't sexy. There's a lot of frumpy clothes, facial hair, ungroomed eyebrows, old lady panty hose on young folks, and crying about how they can't find a man. :perplexed I know that I shouldn't be talking about folks, but frumpiness bothers me. I think that some of them are aiming for modest and just end up being frumpy.

Sadly, I see this a lot too. :nono: Being saved doesn't mean you have to dress like a 90 year old nun (unless you're actually 90). :lachen:Discretion is key. I really agree with adequate's post, she backed it all up with scripture. One rule I go by is to keep it classy, and not bring attention to more than one body part (so if I'm wearing a slightly above knee length dress, everything else is covered but FITS WELL). I also wear tailored clothes that fit but are NOT SEAM BUSTINGLY TIGHT. I am always trying to bring definition to my waist, no matter what I have on. I don't wear little mini skirts, high slits, etc. But I dress appropriate for my age, and I have fun with fashion. Christians are the light of the world, so I think we should present ourselves in ways that represent God well, without losing sight of the fact that we are women.

Suerte

Aaannnddddd????

For the record, I probably wouldn't wear such an outfit to church but if I was going out to dinner with my husband and had the tight body for it it was a Manolo Blanik 4-inch heel and not the clear acrylic platform, it's all good to me.

If you can justify it in your mind and you feel alright doing it... good for you.

I don't think we are talking about whether or not are comfortable being sexy or if people individually find reasons and/or make excuses for why a Christian can be sexy... I think we are talking about how it's contradictory to what the actual teachings of the Bible say about modesty and sexuality being reserved for the marital bed/marital suite, etc.

Suerte

This thread got moved?

I was replying in the Off Topic Forum... what happened?

I can't reply to this thread anymore then since the forum has no room for an alternate non-Christian view.

I'm sure some people are very happy that it got moved :yep:

SleekandBouncy

I had asked my aunt this question, she's an ordained minister and she always draws to the literal meaning of the word sexy (sexually suggestive or stimulating, etc.) which she says is a no-no for a Christian woman. She said anything that causes men except for your husband to lust further than they would simply from seeing an attractive, well groomed woman is a no-no. Now depending on one's body shape, age, or level of attractiveness quite a few things could be sexy; a pair of tight, backside hugging jeans and a snug top, a pencil skirt that hugs the curves along with high skinny heels. Of course the more raunchy kind of sexy, crack o' butt jeans and a deep v-neck top would automatically be included. She feels it is the responsibility of Christian women to not play up any bodily assets that would specifically temp a man.

If one goes by the literal meaning of the words sexy and modest and the scripture in the bible I would agree with my aunt. Personal opinions aside.

PaperClip

If you can justify it in your mind and you feel alright doing it... good for you.

I don't think we are talking about whether or not are comfortable being sexy or if people individually find reasons and/or make excuses for why a Christian can be sexy... I think we are talking about how it's contradictory to what the actual teachings of the Bible say about modesty and sexuality being reserved for the marital bed/marital suite, etc.

Uh huh.... well... again, modesty is also subjective. I grew up in a church/denomination with VERY STRICT guidelines regarding dress, makeup, etc. And the...how can I say...contradiction was that the men (and some women) who presented such guidelines looked at women who wore makeup and shorter dresses and the women wore such things outside of church. Thankfully my mom didn't require such restrictions on me but I definitely have a sense of when I am crossing the line. The Spirit of the Lord within me will check me when something is too short, too tight, etc. And, I sat next to girls in church who wore the long skirts, etc., and still came up pregnant (to my surprise!). That was another indication to me that it's less about what one wears on the outside and it's more about a person's heart. But at the same time, one who is in tune with the leading of the Lord knows when she is about to cross the threshhold out of modesty and appropriateness into an inappropriate realm.

And I think the OP posted this topic in both the Christian forum and the OT forum. Not that the thread was moved or locked.

ETA: I guess the thread did get moved. Oops!

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Yeah I think a Christian woman can be sexy. A lot of people equate sexy with slutty. There's a big difference. You can still dress nice but you don't have to have everything hanging out.

ETA: You could be dressed in something very revealing and still not be sexy. Especially if you're attitude is nasty. Attitude alone can turn a 10 into a 2.
This is very true. :yep:

"Sexy" means enhancing one's gender in a way that's appealing; attractive to the opposite sex, namely one's husband, or sweetheart, (or wife, in the case of a male), in a modest respectable manner.

There's absolutely nothing appealing about looking like a tramp. :nono:

My sweetheart often greets me with, "How's the sexiest and most beautiful woman in the world?" To him, beauty is being sexy without going to the extreme, but being naturally feminine. "Sexy" is not a bad word, in our text, it means, I'm all a woman should be, respectfully.

Nice & Wavy

For the wives who answered, being in the house is one thing, but what about when you go out and your husband is with you, do you dress sexy then? Or do you reserve it only for the house?
And Cleve-gyrl, my suggestion would be to be conservative and modest ESPECIALLY at worship service. You are at worship to worship, not attract a man. If a man's attention would be more focused on you and your assetts than worshipping God and learning more about his word, then he isn't worth your time anyway.

For the first part of your question: Being sexy doesn't mean you have to dress up just to be sexy. When my husband and I go out, I could be wearing sweatpants, a tee shirt and a cap. He finds that even more sexy, than dressing up and wearing something revealing. I don't have to be "revealing" to have sex appeal to my husband. It's who you are and how you present yourself that truly makes you sexy to your husband.

Nice & Wavy

Let me ask this question:

If Adam and Eve did not sin, would we all care if we were all bucked naked? No we would not. But, because of sin that entered in because of disobedience, there is a covering that is needed.

Modesty in dressing doesn't mean that you have to look like a frumpy, old woman. I know of some older woman who are in church who dress better than some of the younger women who don't go to church. It's all in who you are and what you know is right to wear.

When I go to the beach, I wear a one piece bathing suit. If there is a christian woman who wears a two-piece, who am I to say that she is dressing slutty and should only wear a one piece? The Holy Spirit would correct her if its wrong...I just happen to like one piece suits and those one piece bathing suits can show alot, especially if you bend over. Should I wear a robe to the beach and get in the water with it because it's going to show some hip and upper thigh? No...I won't wear a robe...I'm getting in the water with all my fluffiness and enjoy the looks of my husband who considers me to be the sexiest, most beautiful woman in the world.

I am going to enjoy this journey while it is still day, while I continue on doing what the Lord has called me to do.

Blessings.

kbragg

For the first part of your question: Being sexy doesn't mean you have to dress up just to be sexy. When my husband and I go out, I could be wearing sweatpants, a tee shirt and a cap. He finds that even more sexy, than dressing up and wearing something revealing. I don't have to be "revealing" to have sex appeal to my husband. It's who you are and how you present yourself that truly makes you sexy to your husband.

You preachin now girl!:grin: Shoooooot, I can get it in my bath robe and a plastic cap with my ORS pack in:lachen:Don't ask...:look::blush:

I think Christian women can be sexy, but they don't need to be flaunting the sexiness. They should save it for their husbands. I don't think there's anything wrong with presenting yourself in an attractive manner- from the inside and in outward appearance.

Southernbella.

For the wives who answered, being in the house is one thing, but what about when you go out and your husband is with you, do you dress sexy then? Or do you reserve it only for the house?

Hmmm...I wouldn't say I dress sexy, but I know that I always LOOK sexy to him, and I feel sexy because I know I look good. I guess it comes from the inside when I'm in public. At home, it may be more outward since it's only for my dh (hope that made sense).

kbragg

Hmmm...I wouldn't say I dress sexy, but I know that I always LOOK sexy to him, and I feel sexy because I know I look good. I guess it comes from the inside when I'm in public. At home, it may be more outward since it's only for my dh (hope that made sense).

Hmmmmmm......testing my Word Of Knowledge gifting here....you own knee high/thigh high hooker boots don't you?:blush::lachen:

Southernbella.

Hmmmmmm......testing my Word Of Knowledge gifting here....you own knee high/thigh high hooker boots don't you?:blush::lachen:

Naw, I don't get down like that.:lachen:I just know what my dh likes to see me walk around in, whether that's one of his T-shirts or short shorts. Just like I like him in wife-beaters. :lick:

Speaking of that other stuff...what do yall think of that? Do you believe in using world-inspired imagery (hooker boots, etc.) to spice up the Christian marriage?