Are u really a Christian if you dress sexy?

miss cosmic

good thread.

i have less of a problem with the unsaved than i do with long-time christians.
the other day i had a discussion with some friends who go to a different church than mine. their church is fundamentalist and very strict about what people wear - revealing shoulders and knees is a no-no, and pants for ladies are out of the question.
personally i do not think a church should prescribe on such matters but ...*shrug*

my issue with them was - why are they so particular about what they wear to church when they wear these 'forbidden' items on other days of the week? surely God sees you all week, it's not like you only meet with him on saturday/sunday, so why that focus? if something is 'wrong' in church, shouldn't it be equally wrong everywhere at all times?
if it's a sin to show your shoulders on sat/sun, how can you wear a tank-top on tues/wed? if pants are a sin for women on sat/sun, then how is it ok to wear them on other days of the week?
i fail to understand that sort of logic that says people should pay more attention to what they wear on church day than on any other day of the week. what, it's ok to stumble the brothers on tues but not on sat/sun?

i feel that church is for the purpose of fellowship with other believers and to get teaching and spiritual feeding. it's not about a special meeting with God. it's not a meeting day with God. God is with us all the time, every day. even those who keep the sabbath - it's a day of rest from your labours when you spend time with like-minded people resting in Him from the daily grind - it's NOT a day when he is any more present in your life than any other.

so whatever bothers your conscience on churchday should bother your conscience every day, otherwise you are more worried about people than you are about pleasing God. and that is a problem.
or maybe i'm just crazy?