Ask the stylist whatever you want!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I thought this may be fun. Are there ever any questions that you wanted to ask a stylist and you were just too afraid or embarrased to ask? Well, you can ask me!! :grin::grin:

So ladies go right ahead. I'm willing to answer just about any question. Some questions will be off limits.(You guys understand)

I've been doing hair around 8 years and I have seen, heard and learned so much. Still much to learn though.

So ready, set, ask!!

Last edited:

lilikoi

This is such a cool idea for a thread!

Can you recommend a gentle and effective color to cover my stubborn grays?

Tried henna, but my hair didn't like it (and I didn't like the color).

Everything else I've used so far (semi-permanent) damages my hair and it breaks. non-permanent doesn't work. What should I do?

P.S. I'm transitioning back to natural after many BKTs.

Thanks for volunteering to share your knowledge!

jamaicasmodona

What do you suggest could be used for dry scalp?? When i got my last relaxer in August, i had some serious dry scalp that i have never had. My stylist recommended i use a psoriasis cream..

I didnt buy it, but would like to know your thoughts. Ive been using coconut oil.

TIA..

Sent from my Galaxy S II using LHCF

naija24

Can I just press my hair weekly myself every week to transition without damage? Would you recommend doing this at a salon instead?

Also, what red tones work with dark skinned black women like myself? I love red hair but I never find a dye that lasts very long or fits my skin color.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
This is such a cool idea for a thread!

Can you recommend a gentle and effective color to cover my stubborn grays?

Tried henna, but my hair didn't like it (and I didn't like the color).

Everything else I've used so far (semi-permanent) damages my hair and it breaks. non-permanent doesn't work. What should I do?

P.S. I'm transitioning back to natural after many BKTs.

Thanks for volunteering to share your knowledge!
lilikoi Yay, my first question!

Thanks.

Covering grays has always been a problem for stylist. It doesn't surprise me that you are having issues covering your gray.

Demi permanents cover very temporary and tend to leave the hair looking blue or even yellow or brown when it fades. Sometimes the color doesn't even take at all because it is deposit only.

Semi permanents will cover but they fade quickly as well.

Permanent color usually is your best bet but some people shy away from permanent color because they are of possible damage.

One color line that does stick pretty well to grays is Redken shades EQ(demi permanent). You can also try Bigen(permanent but it's supposed to be all natural). That one really sticks but once you use it there is no turning back. It does not come off so you will have to transition if you want to lighten your color or just go back to grey.

Once you are all gray you could just cover your gray with some sort of blonde color. I notice that is the trend with ladies who are almost all gray or completely gray.

I hope this helps!!

-Tamika

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
What do you suggest could be used for dry scalp?? When i got my last relaxer in August, i had some serious dry scalp that i have never had. My stylist recommended i use a psoriasis cream..

I didnt buy it, but would like to know your thoughts. Ive been using coconut oil.

TIA..

Sent from my Galaxy S II using LHCF
jamaicasmodona

Dry scalp is really a problem especially in the cold winter months.

Make sure that you drink plenty of water. Most dry scalps are that way because the water intake is not where it should be. Try drinking 1/2 of your body weight in water a day. E.g. if you weight 130 lbs then drink 65 ounces of water a day.

You may be able to relieve some of your dry scalp by doing hot oil treatments on a weekly basis. You may warm coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil or avocado oil up an massage it into your scalp. Put a plastic cap on your head and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. You should proceed to your regular shampoo and conditioning regimen.

Also try to keep your head covered as much as your can when you are out in the elements. You would be surprised the damage that wind can do to our hair and scalp.

faithVA

Thank you so much for this thread OP. It is a great idea. And it is going to be so interesting to read the questions and answers.

Shelew

Why are stylist so quick to want to cut the hair? Do you think you have to make large trims in order to grow hair? It just seems to keep my hair at shoulder length with trims.

Also I was transitioning with Design Essential STS transitioning mousse which uses a lot of heat during the initial process but I just wrap it the rest of the week. Do you have any knowledge of this product?

Thanks in advance for your help!

naija24

A lot of salons are now offering BKTs and Keratin Treatments over relaxers. They say it's healthier but I think it's because they can get more money. And your hair isn't straight afterwards. It's just looser. Often times you still have to use heat.

Are BKTs the next "relaxer" for black women in the salon world? And in your opinion, do you recommend any particular kind?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Can I just press my hair weekly myself every week to transition without damage? Would you recommend doing this at a salon instead?

Also, what red tones work with dark skinned black women like myself? I love red hair but I never find a dye that lasts very long or fits my skin color.
naija24

It is ok if you do it yourself but you must be careful. I would recommend only pressing your hair every two weeks. Every week can be a bit much for most heads of hair.

Make sure to use a good heat protectant such as Paul Mitchell Super Skinny, or Chi Silk Keratin Infusion or the likes of those.

Keep the heat lower. You can start at 350 degrees and work your way up to more if you need to. Most people don't need more than 375 degrees. One pass should be enough if you go at the right speed but don't do more than two passes. Blowdry on medium or medium high if you must. Oh yeah, make sure your hair is well conditioned before each flat ironing session.

For the color. Reds fade quickly on everyone. That is just the characteristic of the color red. The ones you see that have that vibrancy all the time are getting it done often. Try a reddish brown color for your skin tone. I think that would be nice.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Why are stylist so quick to want to cut the hair? Do you think you have to make large trims in order to grow hair? It just seems to keep my hair at shoulder length with trims.

Also I was transitioning with Design essentials strengthening mousse which uses a lot of heat during the initial process but I just wrap it the rest of the week. Do you have any knowledge of this product?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Shelew

Well as a stylist we like for thing to look neat and polished. However there are some stylist who just don't want to deal with longer hair. Longer hair takes more time and patience.

Hair does not have to be trimmed excessively for it to grow. Trimming has nothing to do with whether or not your hair grows. Since our hair grows from our scalps we have to do things to "retain" length. Once you get your retention game on point you will find that you will only need dusting and your hair will take off and get longer.

I am not familiar with the DE but it sounds like it may be some sort of protein amino acid product to help keep the hair straighter and more manageable?? I have used products like so in the past and they are great for making the hair manageable and helping the press last longer. I would recommend only doing that 2-3 times per year if you can hold out that long. The heat must be used to seal the product in but when I do those type of treatments I customize the amount of passes according to the hair type and thickness. Some clients get three and some seven or anywhere in between but never the whole ten. It's too much.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
A lot of salons are now offering BKTs and Keratin Treatments over relaxers. They say it's healthier but I think it's because they can get more money. And your hair isn't straight afterwards. It's just looser. Often times you still have to use heat.

Are BKTs the next "relaxer" for black women in the salon world? And in your opinion, do you recommend any particular kind?
@naija24 I used to really push BKT's when they first became popular but I have since gotten away form them. To me, they take away from the vibrancy of the hair. I thing natural hair is at it's best without treatments on it. Not saying that they can't be beneficial because they are. I still do them from time to time.

IMO, if your are going to use those treatments to straighten on a regular basis they tend to do that same as relaxers over time. They tend to make the hair thinner. On my clients that still get the treatments. I do touch ups instead of doing the whole head again and again.

I don't have any special recommendations but I do use Great Hair by KMB Salon. It's a little milder.

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
My right side has stopped growing..I sleep on this side and I also wrap to the right as well....should I try wrapping to the left to see if that will fix the problem?

Last edited:

Holla

What is the moist moisturizing shampoo in your opinion?

What do you think of co-washing? Should it be done weekly?

What is your favorite deep conditioner?

Are you ever in DC? Know a good stylist who is? :look:

Ogoma

Are there any benefits to using the same products consistently? Or using products in the same family?

beanie44

How can I keep my hair moisturizer when it is flat ironned, but will also not revert it back to curly. Thanks.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
My right side has stopped growing..I sleep on this side and I also wrap to the right as well....should I try wrapping to the left to see if that will fix the problem?
SuchMagnificance

It's probably not a growth problem. It's probably a retention problem. Your hair is probably breaking on the side that you wrap. Let me give you some tips.

First off, try doing a cross wrap I have a video on my channel that explains how to do it. It's kind of old with bad lighting but you'll get the just of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_-fOfKgevw

The purpose of the wrap is to get the bend at the ends of the hair so you don't have to get it all neat and perfect. So I would suggest that you not over brush your hair in one direction. I would suggest that you gently comb the hair into place. It doesn't have to be perfect, just wrapped.

Make sure that your hair is properly moisturized as well. So if you are not deep conditioning and moisturizing your hair on a regular basis you need to start doing it.

I hope this helps!! :yep:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
What is the moist moisturizing shampoo in your opinion?

What do you think of co-washing? Should it be done weekly?

What is your favorite deep conditioner?

Are you ever in DC? Know a good stylist who is? :look:
Holla

I love Joico Moisture Recovery shampoo and conditioner. It's my favorite set of con and poo. This stuff is amazing and it works for all hair types, I mean all!

Co-washing is fantastic. It's really good for hydrating the hair. It can actually be done as often as several times per week if needed. Just be sure to use a light conditioner or dilute a heavier one when doing it. Co-washing does cause build up and your hair will need to be clarified on occassion.

My favorite deep conditioner is Joico Moisture Recovery conditioner.

Unfortunately I don't travel to do hair. Maybe I will in the future.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Are there any benefits to using the same products consistently? Or using products in the same family?
Ogoma

Our hair likes for us to keep it simple. Our hair thrives more with routine. Don't switch up things too much it could backfire and cause damage and breakage. If something is working well stick with it. If it stops working so well it may be time to clarify. If you must change products do it one at a time so you will know if it is working or not.

I rarely ever use entire product line. It's not necessary to get good results. You may like a shampoo from one and a conditioner from the other and so on. I do however love my Joice Moisture recovery shampoo and conditioner though!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
How can I keep my hair moisturizer when it is flat ironned, but will also not revert it back to curly. Thanks.
beanie44 You must never use moisturizers that are water based when your hair is flat ironed. Use oils like argan oil, morrocan oil, coconut oil and jojoba. These are great moisturizing oils that absorb into the hair and make it soft and shiny with no reversion.

sweetvi

what are your experiences with thin,damaged or receding hairlines. What products did you see worked best in regrowing the hair...

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
what are your experiences with thin,damaged or receding hairlines. What products did you see worked best in regrowing the hair...
sweetvi It is very common to see all of those. It can be caused by several things. It's either hereditary, you have traction alopecia, medication or sometimes it's caused by aging or hormones.

Generally receding or damaged hairlines will not grow back. If it's just breakage sure, there is a change for growth. If it's just breakage just keep the edges moisture and don't brush them. If it's anything else you may be able to rub some black castor oil on them or use sulfur based growth oils. This may help some but if the hair follicle is damaged there is usually no help. It just has to be covered. So people do try hair replacement though.

I have however seen one of my clients get some regrowth with the use of Ovation cell therapy but once you stop using it you stop getting results.