Can I ask a dumb question? (Part II)

chebaby

will head bands pull out my hair?
i have a twa and i wear it wet and place a goody head band on but it has the litle pointy things on the inside. the silk head band i love i cant wear it to work so i wear this one.

also what can i use to make my twa soft?
its soft when its wet but when it dries its kind of hard. i dont know if thats normal.

brasileira

i know that heat trained hair and relaxed hair are different, but since both are in a weakened state should they both treat their hair the same?

msa

will head bands pull out my hair?
i have a twa and i wear it wet and place a goody head band on but it has the litle pointy things on the inside. the silk head band i love i cant wear it to work so i wear this one.

also what can i use to make my twa soft?
its soft when its wet but when it dries its kind of hard. i dont know if thats normal.

Headbands can pull out your hair if the have those little prongs on the inside of them or jagged seams. I never wear those kind.

You also have to be careful with headbands on wet hair. Wet hair stretches easily so if you tied the head band too tight over time it can really weaken your edges. It also can stretch out your hair making your curl pattern looser (that's what happened to me in the front of my hair).

Everyone's hair is different but the key to keeping my hair is soft is making sure the water doesn't evaporate too quickly. That's why I seal with castor oil on my soaking wet hair. It traps more of the water in so that my hair doesn't get dried out.

If you find that your hair has a really hard/dry feeling once it's completely dry you may want to try an acv or lemon rinse to help your cuticle lie down. Also, make sure you have enough protein because if there isn't enough then there's nothing for the moisture to bind onto.

chebaby

Headbands can pull out your hair if the have those little prongs on the inside of them or jagged seams. I never wear those kind.

You also have to be careful with headbands on wet hair. Wet hair stretches easily so if you tied the head band too tight over time it can really weaken your edges. It also can stretch out your hair making your curl pattern looser (that's what happened to me in the front of my hair).

Everyone's hair is different but the key to keeping my hair is soft is making sure the water doesn't evaporate too quickly. That's why I seal with castor oil on my soaking wet hair. It traps more of the water in so that my hair doesn't get dried out.

If you find that your hair has a really hard/dry feeling once it's completely dry you may want to try an acv or lemon rinse to help your cuticle lie down. Also, make sure you have enough protein because if there isn't enough then there's nothing for the moisture to bind onto.
i think i may use a 2 minute recontructor one day when i co wash. because now that i think of it when i was relaxed i did light protein treatments every week and moisturizing deep treatments and my hair was healthy. since i've been natural i havent used protein once.

TheQueenBeeMaya

I guess I'm full of dumb questions ! Anyways in my siggy my ends look okay right? That is the tip of my hair and not thinning ends right? Does my question even make sense?

Amerie123

I guess I'm full of dumb questions ! Anyways in my siggy my ends look okay right? That is the tip of my hair and not thinning ends right? Does my question even make sense?

Your ends look great. From what I can see it doesn't look like thinning ends at all. Because of the shape of the head, a lot of times, the hair will fall into somewhat of that "v" shape that a lot of girls have.

ThePerfectScore

When people do flexirod sets how do they keep the rollers on their hair? I see that people bend the ends of the rod up, but I don't see a clip, a pin, or anything.

vnaps

I don't know if this question has been asked already, but can you make your thin hair thicker instead of just appearing to be thicker? I have long hair but not luscious and thick like a lot of beautiful ladies' hair are on here. Do I have to deal with my hair not ever being thick because that is just the way it grows or are there products or supplements out there that can give me that thick head of hair I always wanted?

Are you relaxed? i've found now that i've switched from relaxed to texlaxed my texlaxed hair is MUCH THICKER than the relaxed ends. i cant wait till i get rid of all the relaxed ends

Does anyone (natural in particular) moisturize their scalp? Or does every one just focus on ends? I've heard a clean scalp grows quicker, but now I'm just confused! Please everyone explain to me how you moisturize!

I personally dont let any leave in's or moisturisers touch my scalp especially since i started washing/co washing frequently since joining lhcf. if for some my hair is flaky (rarely) i will massage oil on my scalp for my prepoo.

When people do flexirod sets how do they keep the rollers on their hair? I see that people bend the ends of the rod up, but I don't see a clip, a pin, or anything.

its the way you twist it that holds the flexirod. i bend both ends and that secrues the flexi rod.

HTH.......HHG

Vinyl

How do people with 4A hair get their hair to have the little ringlets when it dries?

Last edited:

Vonnieluvs08

How do you get natural hair to shine or have sheen? Does natural hair normally have a harder feel to it even with sealing?

I'm transitioning and have been wearing my hair up in ponytails or buns and whenever I look at the hair in the mirror it always looks so dull and feels dry and hard. I have been sealing my hair with castor or coconut oil after using a leave in (usually KCKT). I wrap my head in either a satin bonnet or scarf at night. Is the oil getting soaked up by my scarf and allowing my hair to dried out?

I have a lot of questions about managing my natural hair it seems.
TIA

Odd One

I have a dumb question! lol

Where does the term "kitchen" (refering to the nape) comes from? why is it called kitchen?

lol never heard that IRL, the boards introduced me to it!

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Is it ok to keep condish in overnite after shampoing?
I know people do it on dry hair....but while it's damp/wet?

TheQueenBeeMaya

Is it okay to use coconut oil in it's liquid form? I opened my jar up today and it was pure liquid! Damn this 96 degree weather! Will it weigh my hair down more?

Amerie123

How do I know my hair is porous or non porous?

There's a strand test you can do with like a bowl of water. When you put a strand in the bowl, you can see if it floats or sink. If it sinks, your hair is porous, and can be a problem. If you search "porous", there will be a few threads that can better help you understand the testing technique.

How do you make a poll in a new thread all I see is the click option
After you click on that option, you are going to submit it and then the poll information will come up and ask you to fill in the poll stuff that you want to put in.

Is it okay to use coconut oil in it's liquid form? I opened my jar up today and it was pure liquid! Damn this 96 degree weather! Will it weigh my hair down more?
I guess its more of what you want your hair to look like. It is okay to use the coconut oil in liquid form. Infact, that's how I like it. But I'm sure it'll definitely weigh your hair down a little more (not to much). But again, it's all up to what you prefer.

Junebug D

Can you shampoo and deep condition on different days? Like shampoo and use a cheapie conditioner on Saturday, and then do a dry hair DC on Sunday? That's probably a really dumb question, but I want to be comforted. :grin:

ebonylocs

Random relaxer question...
Do relaxed ladies only do the 'root to tip' relaxer only once in their life or do you do it everytime you relax?What if the ends are still curly?Can you relax them again?
I'm natural but I was just kind of curious since I see people do it all the time.Thanks:)
Is their hair healthy? Do they have much left?

How do I know my hair is porous or non porous?
Apart from the float test, which I've never done, you know your hair is porous when it gets soaking wet very easily, and also dries out very easily. That tells you what your cuticles tend to be kind of open, or you have thin cuticle layers, etc.

It's non-porous if your hair takes very long to get soaked, and also a long time to dry.

Sure it's ok. I'm sure even when it's more solid, you melt it in your hands before applying it, right? You don't apply the solid bits to your hair. It will only distribute over your hair when it has melted. The only advantage to having it in the container solid form is that it's easier to control the amount you put on. So just be sparing when put it on, pour out a very little at a time.

remnant

How do people with 4A hair get their hair to have the little ringlets when it dries?

I think it happens with good moisturising products (Deep conditionners, moisturisers, no pooers)

How do you get natural hair to shine or have sheen? Does natural hair normally have a harder feel to it even with sealing?

I'm transitioning and have been wearing my hair up in ponytails or buns and whenever I look at the hair in the mirror it always looks so dull and feels dry and hard. I have been sealing my hair with castor or coconut oil after using a leave in (usually KCKT). I wrap my head in either a satin bonnet or scarf at night. Is the oil getting soaked up by my scarf and allowing my hair to dried out?

I have a lot of questions about managing my natural hair it seems.
TIA

Does your hair feel soft after moisturising and sealing? I'm asking because I don't think that the product you're using for moisture purpose does its job.

Is it ok to keep condish in overnite after shampoing?
I know people do it on dry hair....but while it's damp/wet?

Yes it is :yep: that is normal use. So you can do both :)

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Ceramic, tourmaline (sp?), and ionic. What do they mean and why are they important for a hair dryer?

I believe ceramic and tourmaline applies to a flat iron also. Why are they important?

TIA!

Nonie

Can you shampoo and deep condition on different days? Like shampoo and use a cheapie conditioner on Saturday, and then do a dry hair DC on Sunday? That's probably a really dumb question, but I want to be comforted. :grin:

I don't see why that would be a problem at all.

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
Where do you get coconut oil and jojoba?

How do I get my ends to lay down (without flat ironing) and how do I avoid Darth Vader hair?

LaidBak

Dumb question:
Is it safe to use a heat tool (flat or curling iron) if I have a glycerin product in my hair?