Ayurvedic Herb Shampoo Bar from Chagrin Valley!

Charz

Sinister Minister
Wow this looks so good!

The ingredients: Saponified oils of olive and rice bran (infused with Ayurvedic herbs Bhringraj, shikakai, hibiscus flowers, amla, tusli, methi (fenugreek), jasmine flowers, yashtimadhu, and neem), coconut, jojoba, castor bean, mango butter, neem oil, and babassu; organic coconut milk; aritha infused filtered rainwater; organic aloe vera; powdered bhringraj, shikakai, and amla; essential oils of tulsi, cypress, juniper berry, lavender, lemon, orange, and black pepper; rosemary oil extract.

here its the first one! :lick:

Its avail late October early November! I am so waiting to place another order till then!

ladytee2

:ohwell: See I went up in that link I was going to place my order today. I didnt even read the part when you put it wont be available until late Oct. :look:

natieya

I just bought one today. I am also looking forward to others' reviews. I am quite curious about the smell. After looking at the list of EOs she included, plus the natural scent of the ayurvedic herbs included...I can't for the life of me figure out how it will smell. Oh well, I should be receiving it sometime next week. I love her soaps. I have a huge stash. :grin:

coilynapp

I love this bar. I used it this past weekend. Did not strip my hair (and I even lathered twice) it left my hair really soft and I did not use an ACV rinse after it (I never ACV anyway). Works great for me and I love all the ingredients and oils and it complements my ayurvedic routine quite nicely

it has a strong herbally scent, but it's very pleasant to me.

winnettag

Nah...this bar has too many herbs and oils in it for my tastes. Anything as complex as this it too complex. No shampoo bar NEEDS 20 ingredients. I've heard you need an AVC rinse when using this cuz it has weird interactions w/ hard water.

Simplest is best, IMHO. Swastik bars are much cheaper (about $2 US) and focus on one herb (ie Shakakai or Neem) and don't require acidic rinses, only DCs. It's also a REAL vedic shampoo bar. This ain't.

Oh, jamaraa, why did you have to bring this up? lol :grin:
I definitely see what you mean about less is more, but everyone raves about her bars and I was hoping I could ditch all my powders and mixing for an all inclusive ayurvedic bar.
They suggest the ACV with ALL of her bars though. :perplexed
I think I'll just get a sample size for the heck of it, after all I'm a soon to be recovering PJ!

flowinlocks

Nah...this bar has too many herbs and oils in it for my tastes. Anything as complex as this it too complex. No shampoo bar NEEDS 20 ingredients. I've heard you need an AVC rinse when using this cuz it has weird interactions w/ hard water.

Simplest is best, IMHO. Swastik bars are much cheaper (about $2 US) and focus on one herb (ie Shakakai or Neem) and don't require acidic rinses, only DCs. It's also a REAL vedic shampoo bar. This ain't.

I have a couple of their other bars as well as this one. I never do a ACV rinse. I haven't had any problems. I think the reason she also suggests the rinse is because some ppl with finer hair really notice the coated feeling from the bar. I notice this with the traditional Swastik bar as well but it goes away after I dc and dry. As far as my review of the bar, I don't have to ever use it again and it wouldn't bother me. Not because it made my hair feel bad or anything. I just didn't notice a difference from using this instead of my cheaper bar, other than the fact the Swastik bar leaves my hair suuuuper strong as well as soft.:yep: So in a nutshell the bar is just ok IMO, I will quit experimenting and stick to the real deal.

coilynapp

How many times have you used it thus far? Once?
No, I have used it twice so far. But I have been using CV bars for a long time. I've never needed to ACV and I've never used the other bar you speak of I have heard of it though and seen it at the indian grocery store too

empressri

I like this bar. I've used it a few times after getting them last week. My hair felt soft afterwards. I used to do an acv rinse afterwards but I got too lazy to do all of that. I do use a water filter though cause hard water does nasty things to my skin and hair.

coilynapp

Welll do you have soft water in your area or in your home? I'm asking this because I'm very curious as to why this AVC thing is going on w/ this soap. This is something I've never heard of w/ other soaps and I know artisinal soapmakers. I wanna learn a bit more.
well I don't think I have hard water in my area. I have a shower filter, but I need to get a new filter because that one is over a year old so it definitely doesn't do it's job. But my hair is not suffering because of that. I don't acv ever (even after using other shampoos) or baking soda to clarify. I just condition afterwards. After using this soap, my hair was soft and moist, not stripped and hard. That's just my experience. I have also used other soaps from CV and have never acv'd after them. I actually didn't know that an acv was recommended after her bars. My hair does fine without an acv rinse.

Oh, I just googled whether seattle has soft water and an article came up saying that seattle has "unusually" soft water. So maybe that's why I don't need an acv rinse.

HTH

my-my

I've tried this bar and I really like it. I'm glad I ordered a full bar of it and not just a sample. I lathered my hair twice with it and my hair turned out soft. I don't do ACV rinses when I use Ida's bars and I do have hard water. I've tried ACV rinses in the past and they do absolutely nothing for my hair. I've been using her bars for a little over a year and as long as she's in business I'll keep using them.

K. Evette

I prepoo'd with a concoction I made (molasses, conditioner, red palm oil, coconut oil), latered with the ayurvedic bar twice, conditioned with giovanni smooth as silk and did a acv rinse. At first i felt as if i would stick with the babassu marsh mallow because it seemed to leave my hair more moisterized and shiny but i always used the honey butter after washing with other chagrin valley poo bars (thanks Empress Ri) this time i didnt. But the reason i will keep using this bar for a while is that after my hair dried (all i put on it after i washed it was some almond oil, grape seed oil and a load of giovanni leave in - thank the Lord for massage warehouse...my hair is so soft it doesnt feel like hair. my hubby is sick of me asking him to touch my hair because i can't get over the softness. the next time i wash im going to use the honey butter bar after and see what happens but i give this soap a 9.5. just in case there is something out there that has my hair feeling this way before it dries that would deserve a 10.

oh yeah i'm 4b/c. medium length hair.

Last edited:

so1913

Just put in my order to try out this bar as well as samples of the other. I'm not sure if I have hard water or not...but hopefully I'll have a positive experience