Ayurvedic (Indian) Powders...(Now I've Got Them, How Shall I Use Them?)

Aggie

Anyone use the Tulsi powder? I just got it today (yes the PJ in me could not help it)

I just bought it too and will be using it on the weekend to try it out. I can't wait to see how my hair responds to that one. Most likely I will be using it as a gloss-like co-wash like the one in my fotki. I don't know if I'll mix it with other powders yet, I'll see and update later. On second thoughts, I might have to use it separate from the other powders first then try mixing it later just to see if there is a difference in how my hair responds to it. That's what I like about these ayurveda powders and oils, you can toy with it until you get it just right:yep:.

Aggie

I buy them at any Indian Market in my area. Look for the Little India section of your town and you'll find mostly everything there. Most importantly no exorbitant shipping fees. HTH

Oh ladies I made oil from Hibiscus Petal Powder that I got from FNWL. I used it once in my hair brew then decided to make an oil. I add the oil to Lustrasilks Tea tree Cholesterol with a couple of squirts of Amla oil and WOW hair is strong and moist and Im not "fiending" for my other conditioners. Out side of the wash and deep condition-I still use a creamy leave in like Giovannis or ElucenceMB- then seal with amla and hibiscus oil
I apologize daily to my Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose and my Curls Asian Hair tea.
According to FNWL Hibiscus Petal Powder has strong emollient properties- Has Anyone else tried this powder?

I have and I love love looovvvve it. I mix it in all my ayurveda powder mixes.

Aggie

Are you using you Methi(Fenugreek) as a rinse or a paste? I have some of this not sure how to use it. Tried it as a paste and I think I made it too thick cause it took forever and a day for me to wash it out!

I use it as a tea rinse. There is a recipe in my fotki, check it out and let me know how you like it, okay? It really does give the most amazing slip ever!

Tamrin

unapologetic
I just bought it too and will be using it on the weekend to try it out. I can't wait to see how my hair responds to that one. Most likely I will be using it as a gloss-like co-wash like the one in my fotki. I don't know if I'll mix it with other powders yet, I'll see and update later. On second thoughts, I might have to use it separate from the other powders first then try mixing it later just to see if there is a difference in how my hair responds to it. That's what I like about these ayurveda powders and oils, you can toy with it until you get it just right:yep:.

Aggie you took the words right out my mouth. Im sitting here with my little pink color bowl mixing up some Tulsi powder for my co-wash in 1 hour. Im using Heenara with it to see how it works. I also added some coconut oil. Wish me luck.

Aggie

Aggie you took the words right out my mouth. Im sitting here with my little pink color bowl mixing up some Tulsi powder for my co-wash in 1 hour. Im using Heenara with it to see how it works. I also added some coconut oil. Wish me luck.

Mmm, that sounds yummy. Let me know how it goes, okay?

Anna9764

With the exception of neem, I have all of the powders that you've mentioned. I make tea rinses and oil mixtures with them. So far so good, I've been incorporating more avurvedic practices in my haircare and I'm definitely seeing a difference.

Fenugreek is also great to add to the mixtures for the conditioning and slip factor.
How do you make the teas rinses?

jamaraa

How did the tulsi work out? I think it might be a bit too astringent for my hair, but it's nice for skin.

jamaraa

How do you make the teas rinses?

The same way you make tea. Add hot water to the herb and let it "steep" until cool, then use. You might need some of those empty tea bags you can get at heath food stores, some cheese cloth (gotten at any Walgreens, CVS, WalMart, etc..or an old fashioned crew top tea strainer made for loose teas. Even a old (clean) panty hose or coffee filter will work to strain the herb out of your "tea".

It's important to strain well for rinsing purposes.

Aggie

The PJ in me forced me to buy some Tulsi powder a while ago (to use on my skin). Still contemplating whether to use it on my hair. I'm in love with Kalpi Tone at the moment :yep:.

Hi vestaluv, yesterday I added some tulsi in my kalpi tone, bhringraj, hibiscus petal powder and brahmi tea rinse and it came it out silky and very soft surprisingly. I had oiled my hair and scalp very well first of course. I made the rinse from my fenugreek tea rinse as a base for the powders.

I didn't even strain the tea (because of pure laziness), I poured the whole thing right over my hair, herbs and all, left it on for 2 minutes, then washed out. I have never used the tulsi on it's own though, too chicken to try it that way. Good luck with it honey.

omnipadme

I DC'd for a few hours with amla oil and followup up with a paste of henna & amla powders mixed with hot water and Hair One condish cream. Best hair day ever:yep:

infojunkie

Quick question, I did a tea rinse on Saturday using shikakai and alma with water. I put it in the fridge but I know I'm not gonna wash tonight (I'm loving my hair too much to wet it right now :grin:). So do I need to put the rest of my rinse in the freezer until this Saturday?

Essensual

I started incorporating Ayurvedic products at the end of November 2008. I am absolutely in love with Dabur Amla Oil Lite. I love the consistency (similar to grapeseed oil) and I got the lite version because I did not want it to "color" my hair. I have recently begun using the Shikakai bar (soap) for cleansing and/or LongHairDon'tCare's version of CW (conditioner with shikakai powder and coconut oil added). I follow the later up with a caffeine rinse and a DC. (OTT??LOL!!)

I've got to get my hands on some of this Hibiscus Petal Powder though. I'm all for soft.

Aggie

Quick question, I did a tea rinse on Saturday using shikakai and alma with water. I put it in the fridge but I know I'm not gonna wash tonight (I'm loving my hair too much to wet it right now :grin:). So do I need to put the rest of my rinse in the freezer until this Saturday?

Yes I think you should put it in the freezer because they say that ayurveda tea rinses don't last longer than 3-4 days in the fridge.

Yellowflowers

I am new when it comes to Ayurvedic hair care products but I think I'll be using them for a while. I'm trying to locate a good shop that has all of these products.

I picked up some Alma oil and some Multani powder for my skin. I have no skin problems but bought it because the indian lady said it was really good.

Anyway, I'm off to give myself a facial with the Multani powder.:yep:

Jaxhair

Bloody hell! Another thread to subscribe to and read. I believe I have a total of 20 threads, all with 20+ pages (some up to 60!). These will keep me busy in 2009, lol! Loving it though ;-).

CurlyMoo

updates, looking for powders today to cover grays. Unfortunately the indian store I am going to does not have indigo but it does have henna. Does anyone know of an alternative to indigo to darken the hair?

Aggie

updates, looking for powders today to cover grays. Unfortunately the indian store I am going to does not have indigo but it does have henna. Does anyone know of an alternative to indigo to darken the hair?

Indigo is the only powder that can give you a true dark color but you can add amla powder to your henna mixes as it helps to darken that reddish copper tone from henna.