Hesh Brand - Ayurvedic Powder RECALL!

Nasdaq_Diva

My fellow Ayurveda junkies..were any of you aware of this? I received a posting of this from a group I run on another site. Anyway, upon reading I'm not personally throwing out my powders, though I can understand some folks reservations. Has anyone else read/heard about this?

http://cpsr-rspc.hc-sc.gc.ca/PR-RP/recall-retrait-eng.jsp?re_id=1086

This recall involves Hesh Shikakai powder, sold in a 100g yellow box with the picture of a long and dark-haired woman on the front of the box. The recalled product can be identified the Batch number 836 and the UPC 8901701105105.

Health Canada has previously recalled "Hesh Aritha Powder" due to microbial contamination, and therefore has reason to believe that other batches of Hesh Shikakai and other Hesh products may also be contaminated. As a result, this recall encompasses all Hesh natural powder products.

Hazard Identified

The recalled Hesh Shikakai hair powder was found to contain unacceptable levels of bacteria, including the presence of the gram-negative bacteria Enterobacter cloacae and Kluyvera intermedia.

This product poses an increased risk of infection to immuno-compromised people, especially if the powder is inhaled, or introduced to the body through openings in the skin.

Health Canada has not received any reports of incidents or injuries to Canadians related to the use of these products.
Corrective Action

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled product and dispose of it in their regular household garbage.

kittikat24

Thank you so much for posting!
I have 1 box of shikakai left, and was planning on stocking up soon w/ different powders--now, I think I'll hold off.:look:
Girl, you just saved me some $$!:grin:

rosieposey

Thanks for the info. I have 7 unopened boxes of Hesh powders...and just my luck mine has this upc code...
*off to sending emails I go :(

Also if anyone purchased Hesh Aritha Powder around this same time "sold in 100g yellow and orange boxes. The recalled product can be identified by UPC 8901701104108. All lots are affected by this recall." Check that as well. This recall is from January. source- http://cpsr-rspc.hc-sc.gc.ca/PR-RP/recall-retrait-eng.jsp?re_id=944 I ordered my products in July. How are vendors selling products that were recalled months ago; I dont understand. I took out all my boxes from this order(they have been in the closet, I havent gotten around to using any yet)

Last edited:

flowinlocks

[/B][/COLOR]

Question: Do you all think that BOTH the batch and UPC should match? What if the batch matches, but not the UPC? Or vice versa? Would you throw it away?

I think it's just the batch # The upc # will be the same on all the boxes. It's just to identify what type of product. The batch# Is how companys track down and recall a certain batch that was put out.

Harina

OMG, I have that. Same UPC, same batch no. I haven't used it yet. Crazy!!! Thanks for posting.

How can I turn this into a lawsuit? :look:

Nasdaq_Diva

How can I turn this into a lawsuit? :look:

I don't think you can do all that, especially since they put the public (at least the Canadian public) on notice. :grin:

You could however take it back to the store and get your money refunded. If it was online, I'd want the same refunds as well.

fivetimestwo

Thanks for the info! I recently went back to using the powders and I guess I'm going to have to stop now :sad: Better safe than sorry I guess...

Minty

thanks for the info. I am down to 1 box - where should I make future purchases that I can trust to be clean?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

My fellow Ayurveda junkies..were any of you aware of this? I received a posting of this from a group I run on another site. Anyway, upon reading I'm not personally throwing out my powders, though I can understand some folks reservations. Has anyone else read/heard about this?

http://cpsr-rspc.hc-sc.gc.ca/PR-RP/recall-retrait-eng.jsp?re_id=1086

This recall involves Hesh Shikakai powder, sold in a 100g yellow box with the picture of a long and dark-haired woman on the front of the box. The recalled product can be identified the Batch number 836 and the UPC 8901701105105.

Health Canada has previously recalled "Hesh Aritha Powder" due to microbial contamination, and therefore has reason to believe that other batches of Hesh Shikakai and other Hesh products may also be contaminated.
As a result, this recall encompasses all Hesh natural powder products.

Hazard Identified

The recalled Hesh Shikakai hair powder was found to contain unacceptable levels of bacteria, including the presence of the gram-negative bacteria Enterobacter cloacae and Kluyvera intermedia.

This product poses an increased risk of infection to immuno-compromised people, especially if the powder is inhaled, or introduced to the body through openings in the skin.

Health Canada has not received any reports of incidents or injuries to Canadians related to the use of these products.
Corrective Action

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled product and dispose of it in their regular household garbage.
THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR POSTING

i don't have that batch....

but man.... look hiya' all these Hesh powders are going in the garbage
shikakai, Neem, and all there dayuum brothers and sisters

this is ridiculous, I would have never considered even that possibility

I take the above statement to mean this may include allllll these hesh powders
But's its all good, i got a goyyt dayuum ticket on the way to get them $215, now I'm having to throw them away...including the other brand i own Gulzar

so whatever... ridiculous

Last edited:

1QTPie

Elder Sim
OK, I just checked mine. i only have 3 Hesh boxes, it's all Amla powder, and 2 years old, I'm keeping them.

Guitarhero

Thank you for this information. I never would have even guessed such could be possible. Incidentally, mine are old, lot 70, but it makes me wonder about the other powders, especially Tulsi and Amla, which I sometimes take internally.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

I have 2 boxes aa well and they are not the ones mentioned. Wow, how does this happen anyways...

Probably dirty water. I remember another product, blood cleanser Safi, made in India, that was recalled internationally because the water to make it was contaminated.

Guitarhero

Update: I just read part of a forum Nikkiforum (I'm not subscribed) and it comes from animal feces...yes, rats, most likely. OMG!

tricie

Geez! That's a hot mess! :nono: I have some Hesh Shikaikai that I bought, but it was at least two years ago. I also put mine in plastic tubs so I don't have to deal with the box. I wish they knew when the bad batches were produced, but the website says they were distributed across Canada. Since my box is old, and not distributed in the US, I'm gonna roll with it...don't use it too too often anyway.

Thanks for the heads up, OP!

trendsetta25

I'm going to check when i get home!

Side note...when are you allowed to "comb" your hair after an Ayuverdic powder treatment? I want to re braid my hair after my paste or rinse.

isioma85

Hol' up! Rat feces???? :barf: I literally JUST bought a box of Hesh Shikakai Powder from the Indian Grocery today. I'm still looking at my receipt in my hand! I was searching on here for reviews and how to use it and now I find this :( I hope my batch is ok.....

Kurlee

lawd, now this is gonna make me skeptical of ever using these things in the future. my precious bhringraj, amla and brami :cry:

Kurlee

Hol' up! Rat feces???? :barf: I literally JUST bought a box of Hesh Shikakai Powder from the Indian Grocery today. I'm still looking at my receipt in my hand! I was searching on here for reviews and how to use it and now I find this :( I hope my batch is ok.....
where did u hear about rat feces?