Beauty Budget for 2010

Yen Oak

I'm new and don't know how to make a poll yet (on my to-do list), but I wanted to ask the following question:

What do you think is a respectable amount of money to spend, per year, on your hair? In your answer, please say if your dollar amount includes products, salon visits, hair (!), etc.

Also, what percentage of your overall annual (discretionary) spending budget consists of hair care? I know spending is relative to your financial situation, so I thought adding that might help.

Sorry if this seems like an essay question, but I'm in the education field!

When I realized my spending was getting out of hand I decided to dedicate 5% of what I earn towards my hair. I think that's respectable. I am also starting a change jar...

I'm new and don't know how to make a poll yet (on my to-do list), but I wanted to ask the following question:

What do you think is a respectable amount of money to spend, per year, on your hair? In your answer, please say if your dollar amount includes products, salon visits, hair (!), etc.

Also, what percentage of your overall annual (discretionary) spending budget consists of hair care? I know spending is relative to your financial situation, so I thought adding that might help.

Sorry if this seems like an essay question, but I'm in the education field!

I think per year no more than $80 should be spent on hair products/salon visits/etc. That's actually what I'm aiming for now. I'm keeping a notebook in my product drawer that I am using to track all the products I use and their cost. It's the same reason that I use checks instead of a debit card. Seeing everything written down helps me to keep my spending in check.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what percentage of my annual income is spent on hair care. I'm past my pj phase (or at least I'm trying to get past it this year), so I'm not really spending a lot on products like I used to. But, I'm really all about DIY, so I can't imagine spending anything on salon services and things of that nature. I'd like to imagine that I wouldn't spend more than 1% (calculating my income versus what I plan on spending is actually <1%).

All of this is desirable, not literal. My heat cap just burned out and I'm thinking of replacing with a hooded dryer that costs around $100. And I'm not happy about that either.

ETA: I also really need some sheers. It's like I keep thinking of things I actually need that cost a lot.

I have a $5 a week budget.That will give me $260 for the year on hair stuff and whatever i dont use will be put in savings at the end of the year.

Since I am still new @ am giving myself a $300 budget. I might go over my budget this year because I need a hooded dryer and that will cost $100. I might just settle for a cordless thermal cap which I can get for like $23. However it does not dry your hair it is good for conditioning and hot oil treatments. I am also looking for my staples.
I don't go to the salon unless I am getting a trim only. I don't trust myself to do it. I also purchase wigs, and hair for my weaves. My sis does my hair so I don't spend any money on that. I wish you the best on you HHJ.

Last edited:
Well, somewhere around $300 is about what I plan to spend. But I really want to get a proper hood dryer, ideally a Pibbs ths year so that figure may double. But the dryer is an investment.... Good thread OP,come to think of it, I budget everything else except my hair stuff :rolleyes:

I put $40-$100 a month for my hair. I go to the salon twice a month. Keep my hair in Protective styles. I used to be a product junkie and I found that I wasted my money in a very short time.

Qhemet: $150.00
Hairveda: $150.00
Shescentit: $100.00
Trying new things: $100.00

Supporting African American owned small businesses: Priceless :)

I'm probably going to spend around $500-600 this year, which includes my three planned salon visits. Those are $100 each and include my touch up (texlax), color, deep conditioner, trim/cut, and eyebrow wax and tip. I would also like to upgrade my flat iron and I need to be able to replace a few products as I use them up (Joico, NTM, oil, etc.).

$50.00 a month (This is less than 7% of my yearly discretionary fund) and what is not used will be rolled over into a savings account at the end of the month. This amount is for products, tools, and accessories only. I am strictly a DIYer and have been for nearly 20 years. Any monies accumulated at the end of the year will be used for large appliance purchases i.e. a steamer or high end flat iron and blow dryer. :yep:

OT: I am now wondering if that is too much money. Granted, hair is currently my only vice. :scratchch

Last edited:
I would estimate about $440 for the year. That includes $20-$25 per month to replace products and salons visits every 3 months.

I have all the appliances I need so I won't need to spend money on that this year.

Most of my products I buy on sale at CVS, Target, Rite Aid and they always have a deal so I hardly ever pay full price.

My hair isn't expensive to maintain and I don't really use many salon products and I never order anything online.

Oh, I forgot about wigs. I want to try some this year, and I think I will have to order online so I'm not sure how much I'll be spending for those. I'm not thinking of the really expensive lace fronts just a couple of nice synthetic ones.

Last edited:
I'm giving myself $460 for the year, not counting my steamer. I bought it with gift money, so technically, it's a gift. :look:
Moving right along, that's $160 for salon visits (4 relaxers at $40 each) and $300 for product purchases. If I happen to relax fewer than four times this year, then the extra money will roll over into the product purchase budget.
I think that it will be hard for me to stick to the budget because I love buying stuff for my hair, but I'm really going to try to control myself and use the things that I already have. And I started a folder in MS Excel to keep track of and graph my spending as the year progresses. Maybe if I write down what I buy, I can shame myself into spending less. And I decided that if I can maintain a steadily negative trendline for at least six months, then I will reward myself with something nice. :yep:

I think this year will be an exception. I bought so darn much last year that I have more than enough product to not have to replenish at all this year. If I go to a salon for my quarterly dusting, that's $64/year (I go to Hair Cuttery). On a normal year, I'd say $150-$200. This does not include major purchases. If I decide to get a FHI blowdryer, that'll far exceed the budget, but that's not the norm.

I'm giving myself $460 for the year, not counting my steamer. I bought it with gift money, so technically, it's a gift. :look:
Moving right along, that's $160 for salon visits (4 relaxers at $40 each) and $300 for product purchases. If I happen to relax fewer than four times this year, then the extra money will roll over into the product purchase budget.
I think that it will be hard for me to stick to the budget because I love buying stuff for my hair, but I'm really going to try to control myself and use the things that I already have. And I started a folder in MS Excel to keep track of and graph my spending as the year progresses. Maybe if I write down what I buy, I can shame myself into spending less. And I decided that if I can maintain a steadily negative trendline for at least six months, then I will reward myself with something nice. :yep:

40 bucks for a relaxer in DC. Wow!

I don't really need much so I say about $175. The only products I will continue to order online are Njoi Creations Herbal Twisting Gel and Avocado Butter. Everything else I buy on the ground :yep: I've found my staples so I'm done ordering from 3+ vendors at a time

I stopped spending money after September i think and have been using my stash. So i think i am going to spend about $10-$15 monthly unless i have to buy an appliance.

40 bucks for a relaxer in DC. Wow!

LOL, noo...not in DC.
For relaxer, I go home to NYC and get it done there. Even with the bus fare to get home, it's more cost-efficient.
Relaxers in DC are too expensive...most salons gave me quotes for $80. I had to laugh right there on the phone....$80 for what?! A relaxer, deep condition and rollerset?
The only way I'm paying 80 dollars for that is if at some point during the appointment, the stylists infuses my hair with liquid diamonds and rubs something in my scalp that grows me to WL in three months.

For me it will be about $15 a month, I just use the basic Shampoo & Conditioner and then my protein treatments and Moisturizer & Leave In, which last a very long time. I touch up twice a year so that saves. I have used every product online from every vendor and I am so glad to be able to get my stuff locally!!! LOL!!

I've pretty much got my staples down and am avoiding new products (unless they are the bomb), so I figure probably around $10/month...at least until I run out of BKT, then it will depend on whether or not I stick to samples or go for the BIG bottle; that'll definitely run me more than $10.

This year I'll spend around $500. I'm investing in another flat iron (Maxiglide) and I'll need to purchase some BKT, preferably a liter. That also includes shampoo and conditioner, oils and half wigs (one of my protective styles). I've spent upwards of $1000 a year on salon visits and my hair ended up a jacked-up mess, so I'm actually coming out ahead by caring for my hair at home.

I'm going to be 'Tight' and say $200.00 -$300.00 for the Entire Year:whip: (including BF 2010).

This year my Plan is to Shop Da' Stash.:angel:

i cant wait to get a chance to read this whole thread.
i dont know about a yearly budget. but right now i have all that i need so i dont plan on buying anything for the next month or so. after that im thinking $30 a month??? is that too much? i have decided to stick to cheapies for co washing, 2 natural conditioners for deep treatments and shea butter and oils for moisture. the ting about shea butter is that it lasts a long time.

I am currently on $1 day budget, giving myself the months money on the first of the month carrying over any left over from the previous in order to save for more expensive items. This doesn't include my Beauty Salon Budget of $120 every four months for my Relaxer, cut, color and deep condition which would be $360 for chemicals and about $200 for salon visits outside my chemicals. I think is a great budget for myself.

$365 for the year for supplies MAX
$360 for my chemical visits (relaxer, cut, color and deep conditioner)
$200 - Doobies, wash/BD/ Style, special occassions styling

I really need to sit down and make a budget...

My SO told me we need an seperate savings account for my hair... (in the future...no sharing money before a ring!)

I think I will do better once I have all of my staples...I'm close now. Just need a DC.

The only 2 big purchases left are a standing dryer and steamer. (but that works for both of us b/c I do his locs) My table top ION dryer stinks...

My planned sew-in has ruined any reasonable budget...but it is what it is.

Maybe it'll get better once I am no longer transitioning... (whether I end up natural or relaxed again :)

I have taken to selling and returning things I don't like versus letting it sit there...or just making it work.

Back