Beer Rinses anyone?

DivaD04

see now look what ya done started pookiwah! we're gonna have to make a challenge for this. ever since i watched manswers which talked about beer enhancing breast size and yes i ran to the internet and found that it not only enhance your breast size but also strengthen and promote hair growth. now i don't know how "true" this really is.
btw, i 2 am not a beer drinker....no matter what beer comes my way, it all taste like yeast no matter the laager, lager, ale, brew, lite, distilled flavored...blah blah. but i will try it on my hair since i don't have to ingest it.

AwesomelyNappy

I have 2 bottles and a can of beer under my sink that I always forget to use for rinses/conditioner. My brother dies everytime I tell him i'm using it for my hair. I used to use them often and liked the results

I think i might have to pop the top off one tonight!

Aggie

more homemade beer recipes

3/4 cup beer (any cheap brand)
1 cup inexpensive shampoo

Boil the beer until it reduces to 1/4 cup. Cool the beer and add it to the 1 cup of inexpensive shampoo.

a variation to above
1/2 pint beer (any brand)
1 bar castile soap, grated
2 ounces glycerin
1 ounce hops (tea)

Since I had all these on hand, I just made this recipe (bolded). I had a busch beer put aside from last week for a beer and jojoba oil rinse but since this one was posted, I decided to try this one instead. I will try it when I wash my hair again which will be maybe on Sunday afternoon.

Pooks

Please let us know how it goes Aggie! I am trying to slow down on my 3/4 times a week cowashing addiction (worried this frequent manipulation even whilst in braids is counterproductive) I don't know what to do first - baking soda with con, beer, tea. LHCF has given me TMI, LOL!

ladylibra

ever since i watched manswers which talked about beer enhancing breast size and yes i ran to the internet and found that it not only enhance your breast size but also strengthen and promote hair growth. now i don't know how "true" this really is.

if by "increasing your breast size" you mean, "makes you gain more body fat" then yes, it's true... i went up a whole cup size, but i also gained like 15 lbs! :lol:

I've tried straight beer rinses, but never like the ones you've described Aggie. Sounds interesting. I usually buy the cheapies so I know I won't drink it (guiness for instance will never make it to my hair...I like guiness).

CG

Aggie

I've tried straight beer rinses, but never like the ones you've described Aggie. Sounds interesting. I usually buy the cheapies so I know I won't drink it (guiness for instance will never make it to my hair...I like guiness).

CG

:lachen::lachen:Well at least you are true to yourself and know your own weakness:grin:.

Aggie

Please let us know how it goes Aggie! I am trying to slow down on my 3/4 times a week cowashing addiction (worried this frequent manipulation even whilst in braids is counterproductive) I don't know what to do first - baking soda with con, beer, tea. LHCF has given me TMI, LOL!

Oooh pook, you so right, there really is TMI on LHCF. I had to start filtering out what I am no longer prepared to take on, it's just too much:nono:. I do like the beer idea for volumizing my hair and adding bounce and shine to it though, so I'll stick with it. I too have reduced manipulating my hair too much. I am down to washing it every 7-10 days for a while. I may increase it to every 5 days but not just yet.

DivaD04

although i have singles in right now, i'm thinking about getting a can of any ol' ale to rinse with.

off topic: ladylibra, girl i can't afford another 15lbs. unless there going straight to my breasts. i can use about 5-10 lbs there...lol for real tho, suposedly the hops in beer act as a phytoestrogen. although there are conflicting evidence....you never know what to believe with science....never say never in science right?!

ok, back to beer and hair. so does it really matter what type of beer to use? colourinspire says don't use light or n/a beer.....what's the verdict on this? in riyadh n/a beer....budweiser i can get in abundance but a/beer i can't.

Pooks

Oooh pook, you so right, there really is TMI on LHCF. I had to start filtering out what I am no longer prepared to take on, it's just too much:nono:. I do like the beer idea for volumizing my hair and adding bounce and shine to it though, so I'll stick with it. I too have reduced manipulating my hair too much. I am down to washing it every 7-10 days for a while. I may increase it to every 5 days but not just yet.

Girl I am trying hard - only had this style in 2 days and I'm feenin for a cowash, I'ma try to make it to Friday at least. Before LHCF I used to run from washing my hair for weeks and weeks!

off topic: ladylibra, girl i can't afford another 15lbs. unless there going straight to my breasts. i can use about 5-10 lbs there

*Sings* You are not alone, I am here with you... :lachen:

ladylibra

Beer is great! I use it in the syrup form as a shampoo once a month, and when I do my egg deep conditioner, I use the beer to rinse it out. Works great! My hair has never been stronger...

Really now? This, I must try... :yep:

off topic: ladylibra, girl i can't afford another 15lbs. unless there going straight to my breasts. i can use about 5-10 lbs there...lol for real tho, suposedly the hops in beer act as a phytoestrogen. although there are conflicting evidence....you never know what to believe with science....never say never in science right?!

Wow, I didn't know this! Me and phytoestrogens don't really get along... it's why I stopped taking fenugreek. No wonder all this excess drinking has been playing havoc on my cycle. :rolleyes: Back to wine I go...

Aggie

although i have singles in right now, i'm thinking about getting a can of any ol' ale to rinse with.

ok, back to beer and hair. so does it really matter what type of beer to use? colourinspire says don't use light or n/a beer.....what's the verdict on this? in riyadh n/a beer....budweiser i can get in abundance but a/beer i can't.

You know, I am using what I have access to and I've been using beer with alcohol in it but I really think the benefits comes from the hops in the beer. I will be trying guiness stout soon too. I need to see if there is a difference between it and regular beer on my hair. I'll report when I have tried them both. I have used beer and I love the results so far so stay tuned for my guiness findings.

Reporting in my findings with the guiness stout compared to regular beer. Well in my honest opinion, there were no real differences except the much stronger smell of the guiness stout. They both left my hair nice and poofy (thick look and feeling) which is what I wanted. The beer is more of a keeper for me I have to admit though. They both left a nice shine, bounce and body on my hair, but the smell of the guiness stout is a bit much for me, unfortunately. I will say this though, if guiness stout is all I have access to, then guiness it is:grin::yep:.

Last edited:

DivaD04

thx aggie. plz do tell. b/c i won't know the difference. i do have fresh hops on the way. they're good for about 3 mths.
until then-
i just got back from the store and i purchased some budweiser n/a. it was either that or holstens which had carbon dioxide. so, i choose bud since it only had water, barley, yeast, and hops. i have it sitting waiting to go flat in a glass jar. it should either be ready to use by tonight or tomorrow morning.

remilaku

I tried it, but my hair was not feeling it. I will try it again, but I will put oil in it and some of my eos

Aggie

Ran out of neutralizer shampoo? I hear beer is a good neutralizer. Anybody ever heard this?

The only beer neutralizer I've read about is in supplement form and is used to block carbs and prevent hangovers. As a neutralizer for the hair, I have never heard of this.

Last edited:

DivaD04

i've never heard of it neither. if you're looking to neutralize any chemicals...i'd steer clear of that idea, for our hair's sake.

i've rinsed my hair with the beer. i think it likes it. although i fell asleep with megatek in it, this morning i rinsed it out w/ plain water and used beer as a final rinse. i've used some infusium 23 and adlc....afro detangler l/in co. unlike my usual there are no gobs and gobs of hair in my sink waitng to be thrown away. just the normal amount and i'd hope to lessened that amount. i'm in between going back natural again, the relaxer is just to irritating so about 2in of my natural hair loves it and my relaxed hair doesn't care for it. and the only reason why is b/c it's cool beer and when the cuticles closes, where ever my hair is entagled with another...i have to work them loose.

tomorrow i'm going to try the beer poo recipe.

Pooks

^^Thanks for sharing.

I think I'll try this when my hair is loose to better judge any effect.

Pooks

I'm thinking of doing a beer and coffee treatment before my next moisture DC.

I think Aggie has been having good results with a beer shampoo mix - Aggie could you share your method and results?

Aviah

I'm trying some boiled beer in my ORS DC today... Right now actually:grin: I'll update to let you know how it goes!

Aggie

I'm thinking of doing a beer and coffee treatment before my next moisture DC.

I think Aggie has been having good results with a beer shampoo mix - Aggie could you share your method and results?

Hi pookiwah, here's my beer shampoo that I use on my hair:

**To keep your hair from breaking, pour a bottle of beer into a frying pan. Over a moderate flame, simmer the beer until it is reduced to a thick syrup.
**Let this cool, and pour into 1 cup of shampoo. Shake thoroughly. Wash your hair with this shampoo as usual.
***The protein from the beer will keep your hair in good condition.

3/4 cup beer (any cheap brand)
1 cup inexpensive shampoo

***Boil the beer until it reduces to 1/4 cup. Cool the beer and add it to the 1 cup of inexpensive shampoo.

a variation to above beer recipe - This is my favorite one:

1/2 pint beer (boiled and cooled - any brand)
1 - 8oz bottle of castile soap (any cheap shampoo will do but use a sulfate free shampoo if possible to keep the shampoo as close to natural as possible) I like and use the peppermint castile soap.
2 ounces glycerin
1 ounce hops (tea) I use any brand regular black tea.

***Mix all ingredients together and use as you would usually use any shampoo but leave it on the scalp and hair for about 2 minutes then wash it out and deep condition as usual.

***Gently massage the scalp with it but only allow the mixture to roll down and cover the length of the hair to give it shine and body.
I would normally cover it with a cap while I take my shower, then wash it out.

***Castile soap normally when used by alone would leave my hair feeling stripped, but this shampoo is very moisturizing for me and non-stripping.

***I really like the shine, bounce, and fullness of my hair after this treatment too. It's time for me to make some more right now:grin:. HTH!

ETA: I remember that I did put some rosemary essential oil in so it could last longer. I recommend this highly.

Last edited:

Aggie

Here are two more recipes to try:

My Beer Split End Mender:

Use flat beer to help prevent spit ends - do it once or twice a month, put it straight on your hair, wrap it in a towel for 1 to 2 hours and rinse out.

Simple Beer and Vinegar Hair Conditioner

This natural hair conditioner is very easy to make and does not require any special ingredients - such as emulsifiers, stabilizers, pH adjusters nor any other "chemical additives". It is therefore perfect for beginners and for anybody who wishes to stick to as natural as possible ingredients in hair care products.

This hair conditioner leaves the hair smooth, silky and strong, without any split hair or dandruff signs. And it is so cheap... that it is really worth trying!
Ingredients

Vinegar is slightly acidic and will help adjust the pH of your hair and scalp.

Beer is highly nourishing and will reinforce the hair shafts, while adding a thin "coat" to your hair that will help in keeping it in place. Both vinegar and beer also act as gentle "detanglers". Beer is a very good setting lotion. It makes hair look healthy and shiny, and gives blown dried hair increased vitality, resilience, and hold. Spray a little beer into your hair using a pump bottle after shampooing, just before you dry and style your hair. You can store the beer for a week or two if you keep it in a sealed bottle in the refrigerator.

Beer's natural ingredients tighten the cuticle of the hair shaft and give hair a beautiful shine. Most people do not smell the beer after the hair has dried.

If you love a beer rinse, but do not like the scent, take 1 cup of Chamomile tea that has already been boiled and cooled, and pour it slowly throughout your hair. Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse.

The vitamin B and natural sugar add body and shine. The proteins from the malt and hops in the beer coat the hair, build it up and help repair damage. It gives the hair wonderful body.