Best Detangling Brushes? What Brush Do You Use To Detangle?

trueimage.

What are the best dentangling brushes for thick hair? I have heard of the Denman Brush & the Tangle Teezer but I am not sure on which one to try. Wide tooth combs are not really working for me.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
What are your hair characteristics, @trueimage.? I feel like that might matter.

I change my answer below to the KareCo Tangle Buster brush available online and at WalMart.

I discuss details in a later post in this thread.

The official Wet Brush (at Target, Sally's, etc.) works GREAT for me and has changed my life: When my hair is soaking wet and slathered with conditioner or detangler, I either use the Wet Brush first and then a wide-tooth comb and then my fingers . . . or my fingers then the Wet Brush then a wide-tooth comb. (Sometimes I throw in a fine-tooth comb, too, but that might be a lot of passes. I'm still assessing.)

I don't lose a lot of hair with the Wet Brush, either: It's like the bristles and little mini balls do for my hair what finger detangling does.

HOWEVER, I have coily, O-shaped, 4a hair. I tried the Wet Brush on my niecy's 4c hair and it was not the same situation at all! Not saying that would be the case for every 4c head: It might have just been something I was doing wrong with her hair.

Last edited:

trueimage.

What are your hair characteristics, @trueimage.? I feel like that might matter.

The official Wet Brush (at Target, Sally's, etc.) works GREAT for me and has changed my life: When my hair is soaking wet and slathered with conditioner or detangler, I either use the Wet Brush first and then a wide-tooth comb and then my fingers . . . or my fingers then the Wet Brush then a wide-tooth comb. (Sometimes I throw in a fine-tooth comb, too, but that might be a lot of passes. I'm still assessing.)

I don't lose a lot of hair with the Wet Brush, either: It's like the bristles and little mini balls do for my hair what finger detangling does.

HOWEVER, I have coily, O-shaped, 4a hair. I tried the Wet Brush on my niecy's 4c hair and it was not the same situation at all! Not saying that would be the case for every 4c head: It might have just been something I was doing wrong with her hair.
I have 4C hair also !! Did you find another brush that worked for your niece hair?

HaveSomeWine

Goody Bright Boost Paddle Brush:

Just about any paddle brush works for my hair, though.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Right now I'm using my fingers......but I do have a Felicia Leatherwood Detangling Brush, a Knock-Off FL Detangling Brush (from a Saddlery) and a Tangle Teezer with and w/o a handle on stand-by if I need it.

I also like my Ba.ss Bam.boo Brush.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I agree that it depends on hair type. I'm a 4a/4b mix and can't use a Denman.

I use a Conair paddle brush, and also the Goody version of the tangle teaser for really tangled spots.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm a solid 4b and the wet brush is my ace boon coon. I recommend it all the time. Has anyone tried the wet brush and found something that is even better? I'll be picking up the paddle version today.

Good question. Please let us know if the paddle Wet Brush performs significantly better than the standard one.

One of these days I want to try the larger Kent detangling brush. The Kent 16t comb is great on my strands.

Tefnut

I have better luck with my Denman since I removed every other row. I did this a month or so ago. Before that I hadn't seen my Denman in 4 years.

Nap85 explains below. Start at 3:56

I agree that it depends on hair type. I'm a 4a/4b mix and can't use a Denman.

I use a Conair paddle brush, and also the Goody version of the tangle teaser for really tangled spots.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I have better luck with my Denman since I removed every other row. I did this a month or so ago. Before that I hadn't seen my Denman in 4 years.

Nap85 explains below. Start at 3:56

I'll have to try this. I can't get my Denman through my 4a hair.

Tefnut

I know we're taking about brushes but I have a question about combs.

Have any of you used any of seamless combs like the ones by Hercules Sagemann? If so, have you noticed any difference? Are they worth it?

AgeinATL

I know we're taking about brushes but I have a question about combs.

Have any of you used any of seamless combs like the ones by Hercules Sagemann? If so, have you noticed any difference? Are they worth it?

I have the jumbo rake and I absolutely LOVE it. I HATED the denman, even when I removed every other row. It was always too harsh for my coily hair. I have had my HS comb for more than 5 years and it is holding up like its new. It works out the shed hair and gets out the tangles without tearing out strands in the process.

Tefnut

OK, I'm sold.

I always finger detangle first but like a comb through as a backup. I'll try them out.

Is the Magic Star Jumbo Rake the one you have:

Thinking about that and getting this styling comb by HS too:

I saw some stylists like the Ultra Smoth Coconut Infused Detangling Comb:

I have the jumbo rake and I absolutely LOVE it. I HATED the denman, even when I removed every other row. It was always too harsh for my coily hair. I have had my HS comb for more than 5 years and it is holding up like its new. It works out the shed hair and gets out the tangles without tearing out strands in the process.

AgeinATL

OK, I'm sold.

I always finger detangle first but like a comb through as a backup. I'll try them out.

Yes ma'am! Get you one!

I plan on getting that styling comb next. Waiting on a sale.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Those seamless combs look scary to me.......I'm not liking how to teeth looks at all :nono:

My seamless comb is very gentle. The teeth aren't pointy. The material is crazy smooth so the comb gliiiiiiides through my hair. I only use it on a conditioner-and-water saturated section of hair after I have already been able to get the Wet Brush through it. It removes tangles and knots that the Wet Brush misses. I have very little hair loss as I detangle.

However, I am still assessing whether I make too many passes with tools as I'm detangling. It could be causing mechanical damage that is building over time, I don't know.

The reason I do it: My hair is like the lady's below, and she uses what's called the "Funnel Method" to fully detangle her hair. I was LOST until I discovered this video and method, just straight spending HOURS and HOURS trying to get my hair detangled and de-knotted.

More often than not this is the order that ends up doing my hair really well, with only a tiny amount of hair loss:
  • Fingers and praying hands method: Smooth, soften, elongate, unfurl section of hair using lots of detangler/conditioner and water
  • Course/wide-tooth pass from the bottom inch, making my way up: Wet Brush accomplishes this for me and separates webbed strands
  • Medium-tooth pass from the bottom inch, making my way up: Removes tangles that the Wet Brush can't catch
  • Fine/narrow-tooth pass, from the bottom inch, making my way up: Functions like finger detangling (like the peel method, the harp method, etc.), undoing knots I used to have to clip out

GGsKin

OK, I'm sold.

Thinking about that and getting this styling comb by HS too:

I saw some stylists like the Ultra Smoth Coconut Infused Detangling Comb:

I've already got a mini magic rake. I saw that styler comb here and ordered one today.