Blow-Drying: Detrimental to Natural Hair?

newsgrl

Hello Ladies! I haven't had a relaxer since August 2009, and I am loving my natural new growth. It has a wave pattern that I never knew I had, and I am "diggin' it". Anyway, because of my job, I go to the salon and get it blow-dried and flat-ironed every week or two. However, I believe this is killing my locks. While the length is still there, my fine hair is thinning, and I surely don't want that! Do any of you natural ladies skip the blow-drying part and simply flat-iron? Just wondering...I don't want to go back to a relaxer, but the relaxer is looking more tempting right now because it would be less maintenance. WWYD (what would you do?)...

(FYI: My stylist doesn't use high heat during the blow-drying process or the flat-ironing process. But again, I am starting to have shiny, see-through hair...)

Bublin

Alot of long haired naturals on this board blow dry. Is your stylist using a good heat protectant before blowdrying and a serum before flat ironing? Are you moisturising and dc on a regular basis?

I'm no expert so hopefully others will chime in.

Also search this board and have a look on Youtube and see how others are blowdrying.

Eluv

I would DC, spray heat protective, and put in two Pocahontas braids for drying the night before and skip the blow drying. And use a little more heat protective before going to the salon. And try limiting the heat to every two weeks.

BTW your hair is beautiful.

tada1

i just started a kinda related thread. some people that responded there said they skip the blowdryign by airdrying or bonnet drying in braids and then flat iron. i haven't tried it personally, but these techniques do help cut down on heat.

i know longhairdontcare2011 on youtube blowdries every month, but then again she is in braids for approximately 6-7 months per year so her hair is very protected most of the time and she conditions her braids too hth

brownbean96

Agree - I would skip the blow drying. Try roller setting to dry and then flat-ironing while use good heat protectors (I use Aveda).

In the future you may want to think of other styles while transitioning like rod sets/flexi-rods, braid-outs ect. to give your hair a break from the heat.

loolalooh

It honestly depends on the person. For me, blow drying is detrimental. For others, it works out just fine.

When I do flat iron (which is rare), I prefer to airdry in plaits, take down the plaits, then flat iron in sections.

HTH!

Aviah

I have fine hair hair too and rarely ever blowdry. I would stretch on velcro rollers under the dryer then flat iron on low heat. Still, the velcro rollers aren't for everyone.

detroitdiva

I think it depends on what type of hair you have. I'm a 4b and I had gotten a blow out, which wasn't that bad. However, I had also gotten my hair flat ironed and lost the natural texture of my hair in some places. It was like I had gotten a perm. It was stick straight, even after a wash!! I believe that heat can be damaging, especially if you're dealing with a stylist that is not aware of the importance of low heat on natural locks. So I would just suggest that you be very careful with heat appliances and pick out a reputable stylist with knowledge of natural hair. It will save you from having to cut off the dead straight hair like I had to.

mscocoface

If you are blow drying weekly or every two weeks I don't think anyone would recommend that. I know I would not.

You are transitioning so you are dealing with two different hair types. Look into having your stylist sit you under the dryer with curlers or cut down on the blow drying to maybe one a month.

See if you can do some bunning styles and other styles that won't require so much heat.

I would do some deep conditioning and find some styles that are less manipulative.

Hope this helps.

anon123

Hi! :wavey: I responded to a similar question in another recent thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=467622&highlight=

You really have to listen to your own hair. If it seems that blow drying is killing your hair, it probably is. Rollersets or twist outs are popular styles for transitioners that will not be as hard on your hair.

I blow dry my hair every other week now and it has helped me quite a bit in retention. That's because my hair isn't all knotted like it used to be. But I do it myself, gently, and not very high heat for a long period of time. Basically it's just to stretch my hair, not make it straight.

Eclass215

Because you aren't 100% natural I think you may be able to skip the blow drying as often. But for me being natural, it hasn't hurt my hair, it actually helps sometimes. As far as the thinning out, I did notice thinning over the years but I think that was more of a genetic thing than anything else; I'm sure blow drying and flat ironing doesn't help this issue, but that's the only way I can get my hair to look the way I want to when I wear it straight.

HTH!

cdawnlewis

Hello Ladies! I haven't had a relaxer since August 2009, and I am loving my natural new growth. It has a wave pattern that I never knew I had, and I am "diggin' it". Anyway, because of my job, I go to the salon and get it blow-dried and flat-ironed every week or two. However, I believe this is killing my locks. While the length is still there, my fine hair is thinning, and I surely don't want that! Do any of you natural ladies skip the blow-drying part and simply flat-iron? Just wondering...I don't want to go back to a relaxer, but the relaxer is looking more tempting right now because it would be less maintenance. WWYD (what would you do?)...

(FYI: My stylist doesn't use high heat during the blow-drying process or the flat-ironing process. But again, I am starting to have shiny, see-through hair...)

Well I personally would not relax it-it is still damaging no matter how safe you are, or how pretty your hair looks (not knocking relaxed women) but, you using constant heat on your hair is/will kill your curl pattern and will damage your hair...have you tried doing roller sets instead or trying to only flat iron once a month? Unfortunetly, the heat damage is irreversable and by slapping a relaxer on it, you can get some serious breakage. I would ditch the perm, stay natural and use more careful hair practices..try protein treatments to keep your hair healthy and strong and dont forget moisture, moisture moisture!

monnib

I get my hair flat ironed every week and its actually thriving, but my stylist is very gentle and I opt to rollerset instead of blowdry. It leaves me with thicker hair and my curl pattern stays in tact.

newsgrl

Thanks ladies! Great advice! I realized that I have really slacked off on my at-home regimen, so I need to step up my game on my end. As I got more new growth, I stopped trying to rollerset it myself, and headed straight to the salon every week or two for my stylist to blowdry and flat-iron. But that ends today! Thanks again ladies! I love this forum!

ms.blue

I blow dry my hair every week to every other week. I do this on medium heat w/ heat protection. The key is to dry the hair not to fry the hair. This has helped me a lot but b/c I do use heat, I tend to do a protein dc every time.

Fine 4s

I didn't read all of the responses but I would:
1) Start protein treatments NOW because the see-through hair is due to breakage. I know tons of ladies who were going to the DR salons & needed protein to prevent continuous breakage.
2) Do you have to straighten your hair every week? Or are you open to other styles that don't involve straight hair? There are professional styles you can dofor work that don't involve heat while giving your hair a break in the process.
3) You can skip the blowdrying if you like the results of it. Do you rollerset? You can wash, rollerset and flat iron only the roots, and wrap.

Lynnerie

You can also blow-dry your hair on cool using the tension method. I noticed that using the tension method opposed to using a comb attachment was better for my hair.

NicBenny

Newsgrl, I'm glad you decided not to relax! I need inspiration!

Like newsgrl, I'm also transitioning. My last relaxer was in March 2010, so I'm at the very beginning of the transition phase. I have been going to the Dominicans for about 15 years and I have had a relaxer for the last 9 years. However, I hate what the relaxer has done to my "natural" hair, it's just looks so different and I just don't wish to relax anymore. I originally relaxed my hair for manageability in college and I said I would stop relaxing my hair before I turn 30...so I'm keeping that promise.

Anyway, I was planning to rollerset, maybe blow the roots and do pin curls. Is this a bad practice for transitioning?

My hair texture has changed dramatically with the relaxer (*sadface*) and I don't feel comfortable wearing it in a wash-n-go look as it just doesn't look good, especially when it drys out.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I haven't posted pics yet, but will later this evening.

Thanks.