Blow Drying = Dry feeling hair... How to fix??

MsLizziA

Me and heat just do not get along. I was just blowing out my hair but i hate how dry it feels afterwards. I don't wanna flat iron. I used the heat protectant and i blow dried on warm then blow dried it on cool and it still feels dry.

I used my leave-in conditioner prior to blow drying it and i moisturized after i was doin....it still feels dry :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

What the hell is the problem?!!

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Do you need to blow dry? I know that my hair feels much more moisturized when I rollerset than when I blow dry :yep:

alive

some people swear by doing a serious deep conditioning treatment before any type of heat treatment. I'm talking sit under the dryer for 1 hour type deep conditioning. If i come across any of those threads, i'll try to report back here.

WestIndianBeauty (spelling?) started a thread about how this method worked for her a while back too

BillsBackerz67

Unpopular suggestion.... but the only thing that makes my hair feel remotely soft/supple after blowdrying is that green bergamont grease by blue magic :look:. I always DC etc but thats the only thing that really works for me. I put in on when my hair is 90% blowdried to lock in the last of the remaining moisture. once its applied i blow dry my hair to 99% dry and it feels great.

MsLizziA

some people swear by doing a serious deep conditioning treatment before any type of heat treatment. I'm talking sit under the dryer for 1 hour type deep conditioning. If i come across any of those threads, i'll try to report back here.

WestIndianBeauty (spelling?) started a thread about how this method worked for her a while back too
Yea but she was str8in her hair. im not

Amerie123

*lurking for more responses* although i may have something to add myself.. don't know for sure if this may be the culprit, but i was thinking maybe its the blowdryer itself.. maybe a better quality blowdryer could be what you (or even I) need. just a thougth..

Sianna

I've had this problem too, though I've only blown my hair out a handful of times since I went natural. Seems to feel really dry afterwards.

Unpopular suggestion.... but the only thing that makes my hair feel remotely soft/supple after blowdrying is that green bergamont grease by blue magic :look:. I always DC etc but thats the only thing that really works for me. I put in on when my hair is 90% blowdried to lock in the last of the remaining moisture. once its applied i blow dry my hair to 99% dry and it feels great.

Thanks for the tip! I might consider using this when I blow my hair out in the future. My understanding of petrolatum based products is that they act to block moisture out of the hair, so it seems reasonable to conclude that they could help to prevent reversion on blown out or straightened hair. If it can add softness as well, that'll be even better! You can always just wash it out later. :yep:

ms.blue

Ceramic blowdryers are better also going over the hair w/ the cool shot button after blowdrying helped my hair not feel so dry.

kittikat24

I like to do a serious protein pre poo, then moisturising DC. By applying heat protectant (Redken heat glide) to damp hair, my hair is quite soft when blowdried:yep:

MsLizziA

I like to do a serious protein pre poo, then moisturising DC. By applying heat protectant (Redken heat glide) to damp hair, my hair is quite soft when blowdried:yep:
Geez and i was trying do hard not to buy anymore products... we shall see

BillsBackerz67

Yeah you only need a little bit. I remember my mom using it when i was younger and my hair was always super soft. I decided to try it again but my first mistake was applying it to wet hair and trying to blow dry it. It felt like there was a film/coating on my hair as if i baked the product into my hair:perplexed. So the second time around I tried the other technique of applying the grease to my hair after it was 90% blowdried and my hair felt the complete opposite. I looked like rudy huxtable but my ends didnt have that dry crispy feeling like they ususally do.

I've had this problem too, though I've only blown my hair out a handful of times since I went natural. Seems to feel really dry afterwards.

Thanks for the tip! I might consider using this when I blow my hair out in the future. My understanding of petrolatum based products is that they act to block moisture out of the hair, so it seems reasonable to conclude that they could help to prevent reversion on blown out or straightened hair. If it can add softness as well, that'll be even better! You can always just wash it out later. :yep:

hola_lo2002

the best thing is:
1) heavy DC (if u have a steamer it's even better!!)
+
2) let your hair air dry with rollers on (the bigger the rollers u use, the easier your hair will be to blowdry straight) + put in some silk infusion from Chi
+
3) blow dry hair

Step 3 won't take too long since the rollers kind of make your hair strands straighter already.

That's it!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I agree. After blowdrying, I use grease to make my hair feel moisturized and soft without shrinking back up.

RoseGolden

For me, I always get a nice soft blowout with a combo of:

*a good moisturizing DC
*leave in
*a bit of heat protectant serum (Fantasia IC has always worked great for me)
*a decent blowdryer on warm, NOT hot

I think the serum is the key to softness for me.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
here's what works for me:
-moisturizing DC with heat
-herbal essences LTR
-fantasia heat serum
-finishing up with the cool shot

i also agree with what Billsbackerz67 mentioned, a little bit of Softee Coconut Oil grease makes my blowdried hair feel really nice. and it's only $1 for a small jar and lasts forever. :grin:

Nayna

Unbothered
One suggestion I have is to either blow dry on cool or at the very least make sure you hit your hair with a cool shot. Don't just blowdry on hot and then leave it. Seal it with cool air.

Black Ambrosia

I'm co-signing on the posts about replacing some of your products or tools. It sounds like you are taking the right steps. A good conditioner and a heat protectant should be enough. Everything else is extra especially if you aren't planning on following up with a flat iron.

Maybe you have product build up on your hair? Have you tried a clarifying shampoo?

darlingdiva

One suggestion I have is to either blow dry on cool or at the very least make sure you hit your hair with a cool shot. Don't just blowdry on hot and then leave it. Seal it with cool air.

I agree. I was getting ready to retire my FHI, but I decided to blow dry on cool & it made such a big difference. I don't get that crunchy feeling that I used to get when I'd blow dry on hot.

MsLizziA

I agree. I was getting ready to retire my FHI, but I decided to blow dry on cool & it made such a big difference. I don't get that crunchy feeling that I used to get when I'd blow dry on hot.
yea but that cool shot takes FOREVER! i did it one day just on cool and that was not ok... took too damn long