Braids or Twists 4A/4B naturals

Braids or Twists?

• I usually Braid my hair

Votes: 70 35.2%
  • I usually Twist my hair

Votes: 129 64.8%

• Total voters

lamaria211

i keep mine braided mostly because im in the hide your ahir challenge so i keep them tucked under my wig but after this challenge is over i might just tech myself how to twist!

silenttullip

I decided depending on how I plan to wash and the season and my upcoming events.
If I want to cowash in warmer weather I twist.
If I want longevity in cooler weather I braid.
Braids last me 3 weeks but most people can go longer
Twists last me 7-10 days
You have more style choices with braids IMO

Successfulmiss

I love them both! I recently did a style where I braided my hair into a bun, put twists in the middle to make it look fuller, put twists in the front and curled them and LOVES IT! It is lasting going into my 3rd week :)

Pooks

I'm 4b and how often I wash my plaits depends on whether or not I'm working out. If I am exercising hard I'll cowash or rinse after each workout which could be daily. I typically shampoo once a week. I don't use added hair for twists or plaits.

I feel that when twisted more individual strands get loose from the unit of the twist. When plaited my strands are easier to seperate come takedown, but some of that has to do with the way I used to twist. Now I do rope twists, my hair doesn't tend to tangle and try to lock as much but I end up with the twists seperating and leaving me with what look like comb coils (I have pics of this to add to my fotki at some point). [

QUOTE=Nonie;11966380]VeePickni what's your hair type and how often do you wash your hair in braids?

I ask because my 4B hair locks faster in braids than in twists. I couldn't wash it twice a week in braids as I do (w/o extension hair being included in the braid) otherwise, I'd have locs. I've tried it. Even undoing my own hair in braids is more work if extension hair isn't used. It's like the extension hair keeps my strands from hugging up on each other. When I twist, because each strand is twirled to make it a unit separate from the other strand, the hairs are kept from linking up with each other so I don't get locs.[/QUOTE]

Nonie

VeePickni, I feel like a newbie not knowing some of these terms. What are rope twists? I've always twirled each strand before wrapping it around the other in the opposite direction and it was only years later that I found out that not everyone does that. Then I heard someone call my way sister twists or sth like that. Now I'm hearing a new term "rope twists". What are they?

Pooks

It's another name for the twisting method you do Nonie. Sister twists, rope twists, same thing.

I just saw Netta's siggy someplace and I have to say I have an almost identical dress and hair flower that I'm waiting to rock while I'm in the Sunshine state. Netta you look gawjus girl!!

Duchess007

I prefer the look of twists because of the fullness.

Bun, twists vs. braids:

image-3350891255.jpg

image-841355513.jpg

image-2111448762.jpg

image-2750820716.jpg

Wearing it down, twists vs. braids:

image-1260130503.jpg

image-2001107269.jpg

image-2837080753.jpg

image-1421101522.jpg

That said, braids do show more length and last longer. I keep twists in for one week, braids in for two (haven't tried longer, but am planning to try this with my current set of braids).

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Blessed&higlyflavoured

I prefer the look of twists because of the fullness.

Bun, twists vs. braids:

View attachment 223467

View attachment 223473

View attachment 223469

View attachment 223471

Wearing it down, twists vs. braids:

View attachment 223479

View attachment 223475

View attachment 223481

View attachment 223477

That said, braids do show more length and last longer. I keep twists in for one week, braids in for two (haven't tried longer, but am planning to try this with my current set of braids).

That 4th pic tho'. Bringing tears to my eyes.
*whisper* sooooon

Duchess007

^ :lachen:

I'm heading into week three with my braids (not because I want to! I have a hand injury). They are super fuzzy around the edges now.

image-3662715674.jpg

If I put pomade around the edges and wrap a scarf around it for 30 minutes, they look OK. But not great.

Anyone have suggestions for cute braid styles for shoulder-length braids? I have been ponying and bunning like crazy. I need like two more weeks out of these braids. Hold onnnn braids!

Aggie

When I wore my hair relaxed straight, I braided it and now that I am texlaxed, I get my twisted with afro kinky hair because I feel it looks better with my hair this way.

I kept my braids in for 6-8 weeks at a time depending on how well it wears and I do the same wiwth my kinky twists. I would get my hairline (back and front) freshly done at about 3-4 weeks to keep it looking fresh and avoid it matting up on me too quickly.

As far as versatility, I can't help with this since I only either wear it pulled back loosley or back in a ponytail.

I either use a dry shampoo or have my stylist gently wet shampoo it every 2-3 weeks, spray in some leave-in treatment, allow it to air-dry and apply moisturizer/shine. To avoid matting, I oil my scalp and massage it carefully paying special attention to my hairline every other day.

CeeLex33

Happy Healthy Hair!
Since being natural, my hair prefers twists. It's easier for me to keep moisturized, and the take down is better for the both of us lol.

I can keep my twists in for as little as 2 weeks and at most 4 weeks.

I can do any style with my mini twists so they are most versatile- ponytail, flexirods etc.