HEAT TRAINED NATURALS-CAN YOU STILL...

Imani

I've been transitioning for a year and I've used heat along the way-weekly blow dry and flat iron (they only do one pass with the iron) at a salon that specializes in natural hair. I guess my hair might be considered heat trained. But my presses aren't hard presses and my hair fully reverts so I don't forsee any natural style limitations.

Last night I did a quick sloppy braidout with the intention of pulling my hair back afterwards. But it looked good enough to wear out and I wasn't even trying. Only problem was that it wasn't dry so I went ahead and pulled it back. But soon, I will definitely sit down and do my first real braid out and post pics.

lexiwiththecurls

It depends how much your hair is "heat trained"...if it loosened your texture so much that twists and braids won't hold like ladies with curlier, coilier, kinkier, textures...then it may be harder for you to keep those styles.

sidenote: if your hair is now easier to comb, looser texture, that means that the heat has damaged (or whatever you want to call it) your hair into something different than the texture that grows out of your head.
Your hair is not heat trained if it completely reverts no matter how many times you straighten your hair. You just straighten alot.
I think it is important for ladies interested in "heat training" to get a thorough understanding. I have several friends that "heat train" and it works for them. Not knocking people that do it though- that is their decision.
Not trying to convert anyone into a believer lol, but it is what it is.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I've been transitioning for a year and I've used heat along the way-weekly blow dry and flat iron (they only do one pass with the iron) at a salon that specializes in natural hair. I guess my hair might be considered heat trained. But my presses aren't hard presses and my hair fully reverts so I don't forsee any natural style limitations.

Last night I did a quick sloppy braidout with the intention of pulling my hair back afterwards. But it looked good enough to wear out and I wasn't even trying. Only problem was that it wasn't dry so I went ahead and pulled it back. But soon, I will definitely sit down and do my first real braid out and post pics.

Thanks for this post. I hope to be able to do this during my 1 year stretch/ transition. I am unsure what I'll do after the year is up, but I was hoping to be able to do weekly blow dry and light flat iron after I'm 3 months post.:rolleyes:

EllePixie

If you straighten your hair and it does not revert back to the curls/kinks you previously had (before using heat), then your hair is heat trained, which is a damaged hair shaft. Not all women who straighten experience this - it depends on each head of hair; this is why I am scared to straighten - because I'm not sure how my hair is going to react. Some women like having a looser curl pattern due to heat training - yes, this is damage. Sorry, it is what it is. I understand people don't like the term "damaged" to refer to their hair, but why do you think your curl doesn't spring back the way it was? Because you've broken the bonds in your hair...

jwhitley6

If you straighten your hair and it does not revert back to the curls/kinks you previously had (before using heat), then your hair is heat trained, which is a damaged hair shaft. Not all women who straighten experience this - it depends on each head of hair; this is why I am scared to straighten - because I'm not sure how my hair is going to react. Some women like having a looser curl pattern due to heat training - yes, this is damage. Sorry, it is what it is. I understand people don't like the term "damaged" to refer to their hair, but why do you think your curl doesn't spring back the way it was? Because you've broken the bonds in your hair...

Some heat training just makes your hair smoother...I don't see this as any different from men training their hair to grow in waves by brushing, or even using certain conditioners that penetrate or coat the hair shaft. It's all changing your "natural hair". Who's to say that the hair doesn't spring back the way it was because it's "healthier"? :look: I think I'm going to call it "heat conditioning" from now on instead of "heat training".

Also, I think back to the last time my hair wouldn't revert (in some places). I had gone to a salon and she used relatively high heat but the real issue was the tension she used as she pulled the flat iron through my hair. I mean, she clamped down on my hair so tight I could hear my hair squeaking between the plates and my neck muscles were working hard to keep my head upright....Never again! :nono: I think tension damage is a bigger issue than heat damage for my hair.

EllePixie

From The Natural Haven on Straightening - if you use low heat it's okay, but I know when my hair was relaxed I used heat at around 400 degrees - can't even imagine my natural hair getting straight without high heat.

Stage 1 : At and below 150 degrees C (302F)
Loosely bound water and tightly bound water is lost from the hair

Stage 2: At 160-175 degrees C (320 -347F)
Hair undergoes a glass transition phase (meaning the hair begins to flow as hot glass would). Plastic deformation is possible (meaning in a 'normal' hydrated state, hair is elastic and can stretch and return back to its original length. Hair does also have temporary plasticity which is why styles like roller sets, twist outs/knot outs can occur. However at this heating stage, the plasticity is NOT temporary, the hair may return to a 'normal' looking state but it will not be exactly the same)

Stage 3: Between 215 and 235 degrees C ( 419-455F)
The keratin in hair has a natural twist to it knows as an alpha helix (α-helix). This twist is present in all keratin, whether straight hair or curly hair. At this stage the helices of the hair protein melt (not reversible).

Like I said, it is what it is...

lexiwiththecurls

@jwhitley Tension has nothing to do with it...its the heat...not how hard the stylist was pulling the heatthrough your hair.
You said "Heat Training" makes your hair smoother...of course it does. If you have a kinkier hair texture, and the heat breaks down the bonds permanently, then you would get a smoother texture.
You cant compare a guy brushing his hair versus using heat and permanently changing the hair texture.
I think the real issue is people want what they call/think is more "manageable" hair. More "manageable" does not equal "healthier". Thats why women have been getting relaxers for years...for manageability. Its the same thing...but thats a whole other discussion....

natalie20121

Oh wow.... So much animosity buy yet still so much WRONG information. Like some of the ladies said above.... if your texture has changed because of using heat....then you have DAMAGED your hair. Point blank. It's science. Not opinion. All this information is widely available on the internet. I learned this my first week at hair design school. If you choose to damage your hair a little bit to get a "smoother" texture like a poster said above...then by all means.... go for broke. But please do not post misinformation for the sake of not wanting to hear the word damage. I don't believe anyone is trying to offend by using that term....it just is what it is. My cousin has damaged her hair because she wants a "smoother" texture and she has very little curl to her hair. Her hair looks fabulous when its straight.... I'm just sayin (Kanye shrug)

I straightened my hair for the first time since the big chop and loved it. However I know for me I would only do it twice a year. I love straight hair and have nothing against naturals who straighten. It's just important to put the right information out there

Last edited:

EllePixie

@natalie20121 @lexiwiththecurls Yup yup! Agree 1000% percent. If you like the texture of your looser/smoother hair FINE, but know that it IS damage. It's science. Not debatable - just because it's dressed up with a pretty name doesn't make it any less damaging...

jwhitley6

@jwhitley Tension has nothing to do with it...its the heat...not how hard the stylist was pulling the heatthrough your hair.
You said "Heat Training" makes your hair smoother...of course it does. If you have a kinkier hair texture, and the heat breaks down the bonds permanently, then you would get a smoother texture.
You cant compare a guy brushing his hair versus using heat and permanently changing the hair texture.
I think the real issue is people want what they call/think is more "manageable" hair. More "manageable" does not equal "healthier". Thats why women have been getting relaxers for years...for manageability. Its the same thing...but thats a whole other discussion....

I disagree with you. Have you ever stretched out a strand of hair? in the situation I mentioned, my hair fibers were stretched and damaged due to stretching. in all my years of heat styling my hair that had never happened to me before because I never stretched my hair like that.

But anyway...Like, EllePixie said, it is what it is. And for many people heat-treated hair is not only more "manageable" but it hold moisture better, breaks less and holds styles better (even braid-out and such). I think many people are under the impression that "natural hair" is automatically healthy and not damaged, and that heat-treated hair is on the verge of breaking off...that is not true. :nono:

LMAO at this thread and the perceived animosity. :lachen: Jeez, it's just hair....dead protein.

Last edited:

jwhitley6

Oh wow.... So much animosity buy yet still so much WRONG information. Like some of the ladies said above.... if your texture has changed because of using heat....then you have DAMAGED your hair. Point blank. It's science. Not opinion. All this information is widely available on the internet. I learned this my first week at hair design school. If you choose to damage your hair a little bit to get a "smoother" texture like a poster said above...then by all means.... go for broke. But please do not post misinformation for the sake of not wanting to hear the word damage. I don't believe anyone is trying to offend by using that term....it just is what it is. My cousin has damaged her hair because she wants a "smoother" texture and she has very little curl to her hair. Her hair looks fabulous when its straight.... I'm just sayin (Kanye shrug)

I straightened my hair for the first time since the big chop and loved it. However I know for me I would only do it twice a year. I love straight hair and have nothing against naturals who straighten. It's just important to put the right information out there

Since we're speaking scientifically and stuff. Now that your hair is "damaged" by the keratin bonds breaking down, why only do it twice a year? Are more and more bonds broken each time you use heat?

EllePixie

I disagree with you. Have you ever stretched out a strand of hair? in the situation I mentioned, my hair fibers were stretched and damaged due to stretching. in all my years of heat styling my hair that had never happened to me before because I never stretched my hair like that.

But anyway...Like, EllePixie said, it is what it is. And for many people heat-treated hair is not only more "manageable" but it hold moisture better, breaks less and holds styles better (even braid-out and such). I think many people are under the impression that "natural hair" is automatically healthy and not damaged, and that heat-treated hair is on the verge of breaking off...that is not true. :nono:

With all due respect, I don't think anyone is saying that. No, not all totally natural hair is automatically healthy - not by a LONG shot, and not all damaged hair has to break off. While yes, it is true that heat training = heat damage, if you had low porosity hair and its porosity is increased, you may be able to moisturize your hair easier, but lose moisture easier as well. I think that women are completely capable of nursing their hair so it does not break even if they straighten or relax - it may however be more difficult to keep that hair healthy because the keratin bonds are broken (or in the case of relaxers the cuticles are lifted) - which is why the hair breaks or dries out.

I personally am not against anything that anyone EVER does to their hair - I just would like for us all to be informed of what we are actually doing to our hair and make the decision, ya know?

EllePixie

Since we're speaking scientifically and stuff. Now that your hair is "damaged" by the keratin bonds breaking down, why only do it twice a year? Are more and more bonds broken each time you use heat?

Actually, yes. Each time you straighten more bonds are broken.

Honestly it's really just weighing the pros and cons - I don't feel as if I can straighten because I have seen women straighten their hair once and it significantly loosens their curl - I am trying to get to BSL curly and I'm not willing to risk having to do another big chop just so I can have straight hair for a week. When my hair is longer, maybe I'll feel differently. It's really just a personal choice.

Last edited:

jwhitley6

Actually, yes. Each time you straighten more bonds are broken.

Honestly it's really just weighing the pros and cons - I don't feel as if I can straighten because I have seen women straighten their hair once and it significantly loosens their curl - I am trying to get to BSL curly and I'm not willing to risk having to do another big chop just so I can have straight hair for a week. When my hair is longer, maybe I'll feel differently. It's really just a personal choice.

I hear you...it just seems like there is this mass hysteria that people get over the idea of using heat. I know more heat-styled long haired folks than those who don't use heat. I think my point of view is also influenced by the fact that I have rarely had problems with heat (especially when doing my own hair), and I was never "blessed" with looser texture because of it. :ohwell: My strands were smoother/silkier but just as curly as ever. I haven't straightened my hair since January and I think THAT has actually set me back.

Good luck with your hair journey. If you do decided to straighten, avoid heat happy stylist with marcel flat-irons. :look:

EllePixie

I hear you...it just seems like there is this mass hysteria that people get over the idea of using heat. I know more heat-styled long haired folks than those who don't use heat. I think my point of view is also influenced by the fact that I have rarely had problems with heat (especially when doing my own hair), and I was never "blessed" with looser texture because of it. :ohwell: My strands were smoother/silkier but just as curly as ever. I haven't straightened my hair since January and I think THAT has actually set me back.

Good luck with your hair journey. If you do decided to straighten, avoid heat happy stylist with marcel flat-irons. :look:

See, I really don't think it's a mass hysteria over heat, I just think the issue lies more with women being on the defense for use of the word "damage" or a lack of knowledge regarding what heat actually does to hair. Some think that because heat isn't a chemical like lye or ammonia, it's harmless - and that's completely untrue (and yes, I also recognize that not all "natural" practices are harmless either). While your texture never loosened, I have seen some women straighten their hair to the point where it looks like mine looked when it was relaxed (very wavy, not curly at all) - that's crazy to me and if that happened to me I would cry my eyes out! I don't think that using heat is a big deal but it concerns me when people use it and have no idea what reaction is taking place, then practicially insult another for calling it damage. A woman who does not use heat is not a "better natural" than one who does.

lexiwiththecurls

" 'blessed' with looser texture" :perplexed

heat styled vs "heat trained" is two totally different things. I heat style my hair but it isn't "heat trained". My hair completely reverts, kinkiness and all.

Like stated, it is a preference for everyone...it's just important that the lurkers and the newbies just see both "sides" and completely understand the science of what they are doing.

Lynnerie

:stop:

This thread is starting to :deadhorse:

OP, yes naturals who use heat can still wear braids and twists. Heck, relaxed ladies can also wear braids and twists and twistouts. Depending on how much curl the hair has will determine the way those braid/twists/twistouts will look. If the natural curl pattern has been loosened due to heat then obviously the twistout will not be as tight or defined and their maybe a lack of uniformity with the hair.

Carry on...

:pop:

preciouslove0x

Hi jwhitley6. I just wanted to know where you got your information from as far as "heat training" and/or "hair damage"? If you look through certain science textbooks about the structure of hair you will find that 'smoother' or 'silkier' hair is also a form of damage to the hair shaft. :yep: I just finished a course (anatomy and physiology) that included a section about the structure of hair so that's where I acquired the information.

LivinMyLifeLikeItsGolden

I think it's funny how people get so off topic just to defend their thoughts/facts/opinions to the death and really no one has answered the OPs question.

I came in curious about the answer, only to read through a thorough debate. Agree to disagree. It's your hair at the end of the day!

Imani

Thanks for this post. I hope to be able to do this during my 1 year stretch/ transition. I am unsure what I'll do after the year is up, but I was hoping to be able to do weekly blow dry and light flat iron after I'm 3 months post.:rolleyes:

I also forgot to add that I did weekly DCs under a steamer for the first about 6 or 7 months. Now I do them about every other week. The condition of your hair needs to be ON POINT if you want to use heat that often. Also, I NEVER touch my hair with heat after wash day, no matter how crazy it looks. I usually wear a half wig or something during the work week when my hair starts to revert, esp if I"m working out. Now that I'm past 1 year post, I can't even get the front of my hair to lay down once it reverts so I'm going to start doing full wigs vs half wigs.

Now that I'm further along in my transition, I'm attempting to cut back the the heat to maybe once or twice a month. I just had 4 weeks without heat in kinky twist extensions. But for that 1st year, I think heat helped me to not go crazy trying to figure out what to do with my hair and to gradually get used to my natural hair, especially since my hair is really short.

ETA- You also need to be realistic about what your hair can/will do, I'm 4a/b but most of my strands are fine not coarse and my hair straightens fairly easily and with the right technique, one pass with the iron does the trick. I read about coarse 4b's whose hair needs a huge amount of heat to get/stay straight, if thats how your hair is, you have to decide if its really worth it to use that much heat.

Last edited:

Vonnieluvs08

If you do have straighter ends when you go to twist or braid you can use some type of curler (flexirod, curler, etc) or twist them into bantu knots then release them. This will give you some curl to the end and help the twist to remain twisted. You may have to curl your ends everynight or less often it just depends on how your hair does.

My friend is transitioning right now and she just had some twist put in her head and this is what she is doing for them to last longer.

Cloefa

i think "heat-trained" is the wrong word, or rather it doesn't exist...most people who have hair that holds presses longer have simply mastered the technique of pressing, ie minimizing porosity so that the hair doesnt absorb as much moisture and revert as easily, and who also know what products and methods work best for your hair type for achieving the results. this is NOT the same as using heat damage to straighten your hair, which ineveitably leads to thin, weakened strands...also, i dont think anyone does this intentionally, they just assume their hair is becoming more "manageable" with repeated use of heat. my hair is natural, and even though i can get my hair relaxer straight with a flat iron and hold it longer than most, believe that the minute i sweat or water hits my hair it's OVA... and i can do a braid out or twist out just fine. so to answer the original question, if your hair is HEAT DAMAGED, since your hair has lost its natural curl pattern you prob can't wear some natural protective styles...otherwise, i don't see why you couldn't.

Fine 4s

The answer is a general yes.

In my experience, my natural protective hairstyles today look better than they did in the past when my hair sustained damage from repeated use of the blowdryer & pressing combs and other marcel appliances. My twists were very stringy which is why I limit (to never) use heat on my hair and broke off easily. This is in part due to my hair strands being so fine and too weak to withstand heat coupled with tension so frequently.

To answer your question, provided that you have hair on your head, you can wear pretective hairstyles no matter your texture, density, porosity, health, curl size etc. Protect away my lady!

HTH!