BSL/MBL 2015 Challenge

trclemons

I got frustrated and ended up quitting half way through. I didn't feel like my hair was getting "clean", especially since I pre-poo with oil. Ended up taking them out and washing my hair loose :ohwell:
Washing in braids/twists doesn't work for me either.

I usually unbraid/untwist a section at a time and loosely pull/hold the end of my hair so I can shampoo my scalp with out it getting tangled. Similar to how it's done in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc0Wbo_xZcs.

When I'm done shampooing my scalp, I pull little sections of my hair apart and let the water run thru and rinse out my hair.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I love washing in braids. I usually have about 12 braids... I rinse the braids first to get rid of buildup and then I gently massage shampoo into my scalp only, but the runoff cleans my whole strand. Washing in sections saves me a lot of time and detangling afterwards is much easier now. I haven't washed my own hair since October though and at the salon they wash it loose :nono:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Then may I ask what is your hair regimen?

Right now I'm doing the following:

Pre-poo with egg/olive oil/ peppermint oil/ honey every two weeks, wash with Ayurvedic powders (brahmi, shikakai), henna treatment, then add leave-in conditioner (Lush R&B treatment) followed by Liv cream on ends.

I co-wash and oil my scalp as needed.

strandedhhj

I know it's already 2015 but is it too late to join? I'm aiming for BSL this year and would love a support group.

ETA: This is an image from my last relaxer in September. I'm scheduled for a touch up in about two weeks and will have new pics then!

Attachments

• image-1422738037.jpg
    image-1422738037.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I know it's already 2015 but is it too late to join? I'm aiming for BSL this year and would love a support group.

ETA: This is an image from my last relaxer in September. I'm scheduled for a touch up in about two weeks and will have new pics then!

Welcome! What's your reggie? Any growth aids?

My mini update: I'm using sulfur and MN. DH asked me to wear my hair in a "Pam Grier fro" (his words!) for Sunday Bible study and he loved it! Unfortunately, I ended up with 2 scissor-worthy knots! I told him that's why I don't do it. He said every blue moon ain't bad. I said well here's your blue moon!

He was also impressed with my length. I asked him to pull a piece down in the back to see how long it was and his words were "it's past your armpit." I've taught him well! :grin::grin:

Last edited:

strandedhhj

Thanks for the welcome HappyAtLast! Hair out every once in awhile makes the journey worth it, right? :grin:

Since I haven't had an actual hair regimen in a long time, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible:

- Clarify wash once a month
- Shampoo and deep condition using heat weekly (or bi-weekly)
- Light protein treatment every two weeks
- Air dry hair using t-shirt method unless wearing roller set or protective style
- 5000mcg of Biotin daily
- Moisturize and seal 3-4x times per week
- Exercise 3-4 times per week
- Drink 64 ounces of water daily
- Stretch relaxer at least 16 weeks
- Heat pass once a month

I'm going to try to stick with you ladies for support and accountability.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse

Pretty hair and this challenge is open all year!!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm under the dryer with my rollers. Jackie (my stylist) refused to blowdry and flatiron. The gray rollers get my hair pretty straight so she only needs to blow the roots. I will post pics later tonight.

lexxi

So I figure I would join the challenge but I had to wait because I had to take out a sew in so I can take pictures. Now that's it's done I'm ready to join.

My goals:
Get to BSL and try to get to MBL by dec 2015
No dying hair anything other than black
Take mane choice vitamins
Drink lots of water( I've been slacking lately)

My regimen:
I noticed my hair likes spring and will cooperate better so I won't be in a protective style to long in the spring but for the other seasons I will be in either a weave or kinky twist.

When I am in my weave I wash 2x a week with 1 dc and oil

When I am in kinky twist I wash 1x a month and oil everyday.

When it's my hair I wash once a week and oil everyday and usually it's goes up into a pony tail but lately I've been doing curls on flat ironed hair but that was only 2x within the last 6 months I think .I probably won't be doing that again for awhile but my mom wanted to see it.

Attachments

• image-715568917.jpg
    image-715568917.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 73

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I got my hair blown out and I feel like myself again :blush: I was a hot mess for a few days :lol:

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1420600403635.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1420600403635.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 92

missyrayne19

Washing in braids/twists doesn't work for me either.

I usually unbraid/untwist a section at a time and loosely pull/hold the end of my hair so I can shampoo my scalp with out it getting tangled. Similar to how it's done in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc0Wbo_xZcs.

When I'm done shampooing my scalp, I pull little sections of my hair apart and let the water run thru and rinse out my hair.

See, I went with braids just because a lot of longer haired ladies say this helps with tangles and since I'm beginning to experience more of those the longer my hair gets, I figured why not give it a shot.

But I'm totally open to other ideas too :look: nothing wrong with having a back up, just in case. If the braids/twists don't work after a couple more tries, I might have to give this way a thought :yep:

I was hoping that you had discoveredthe trick to washibg in braids.

You can always try medium sized twists that are loose at the roots. This way you have room to massage your scalp but also product can get into and out of the length of your hair.

I found that braids bound my hair to tightly for shampoo/conditioner to be washed out properly, but twisted hair was easier to manipulate.

Hmmm, maybe I'll try twists next wash day. I don't wanna give up just because it didn't work my first attempt. I'll try the twists and report back how they work!

strandedhhj

Anyone have a favorite protective style? I'm currently rocking a crochet wig I made. Might keep it until my touch up but not sure what I'll do after.

melisandre

My preferred method of protective styling is a full lace or lacefront wig. I don't have to worry about bad hair days. :lol:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using LHCF

danysedai

Please add me
I was between BSL and MBL but cut some damaged ends off and now am between APL and BSL. I'm doing protective styles until July under a lace wig(RPGshow PT001-s) and bunning when my hair is out.

starting pic from about a month ago:

Attachments

• 20141108_201315.jpg
    20141108_201315.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20141109_213018.jpg
    20141109_213018.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 89

FollicleFanatic

My fave protective styles are curly half wigs and crochet braids if I get too bored. This satisfies my desire to see my own hair out since the styles are curly as well.

divaorleans

I'm currently APL. My goal for 2015 is is to reach BSL. My plan is to keep my regimen as simple as possible with a focus on length retention by moisturizing and sealing my ends every other day. I have fine 3c hair so I plan to wear mostly wigs and wash n go's for protective styling. I currently DC once per week but I'll be increasing that to twice each week. image-3589230171.jpg

Last edited:

PlainJane

I have had a headache all day from sleeping in Bantu knots last night smh. I need another way to stretch my hair. Does anyone blow dry their hair on cool to stretch it? Successfully?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have had a headache all day from sleeping in Bantu knots last night smh. I need another way to stretch my hair. Does anyone blow dry their hair on cool to stretch it? Successfully?

My blowdryer doesn't have a cool setting. Even when I t the cool shot button it is warm :( Have you tried stretching your hair on flexirods or in huge plaits?

strandedhhj

Please add me
I was between BSL and MBL but cut some damaged ends off and now am between APL and BSL. I'm doing protective styles until July under a lace wig(RPGshow PT001-s) and bunning when my hair is out.

Gah! Your hair is so pretty!:yep:

trclemons

Please add me

Your hair is so full & pretty.