BSL/MBL 2015 Challenge

FollicleFanatic

Looks like 4a roots with 3b/c ends

Huh? How is that possible? The front of my hair is a tighter curl that has the heat damage on it, is that what you are referring to?

I agree, your curl type appears to be in the 4's; however the heat damage makes your curl type to be in the 3's especially on the ends.

I think I need to apply my DCs relaxer style, bc I don't get why there such a curl pattern difference. I cut all of my heat damage off, starting in July and continued cutting the damage off. You can't tell from the pics, but my hair is super uneven due to chopping off the damage and ssks. Except the front, then no style would've looked right being so short. Could it just be the weight? The only heat my hair gets is when I DC..

Either way, thanks ladies!

quirkydimples

I'm pretty sure I'm APL and think I can make BSL by year's end. My 4C hair is fine, but dense. You can't tell in my pictures because I just finished flat ironing my hair.

Bedtime Routine:

If I am bunning, then I use a liquid, cream, then seal with oil or my coconut shea mix. I then put my hair in one braid and use GHE. If I'm wearing it down, I add a little oil to my ends and cross wrap.

Daily Style

I either bun or blow dry straight and KIM until about the 7th or 8th week of my stretch. At that point it's bun or blow dry and flat iron.

Cleansing/DC Routine

I wash/cowash once or twice a week. DC with something from Alter Ego or Nexxus Humectress (whichever I have on hand) and use Nexxus Emergencee every other week followed by my usual DC.

Relaxer Schedule

I relax at 10-12 wks using Linange Shea Butter Relaxer. I also get my ends trimmed at Great Clips after a relaxer.

Attachments

• APL 1.jpg
    APL 1.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 50
  • APL 2.jpg
    APL 2.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 53
  • APL 3.jpg
    APL 3.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 59
  • APL 4.JPG
    APL 4.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 60

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Huh? How is that possible? The front of my hair is a tighter curl that has the heat damage on it, is that what you are referring to?

I think I need to apply my DCs relaxer style, bc I don't get why there such a curl pattern difference. I cut all of my heat damage off, starting in July and continued cutting the damage off. You can't tell from the pics, but my hair is super uneven due to chopping off the damage and ssks. Except the front, then no style would've looked right being so short. Could it just be the weight? The only heat my hair gets is when I DC..

Either way, thanks ladies!

I have heat damaged ends too. My texture is 4b and my ends are looser than yours. I don't mind since it makes detangling easier and I rarely get single strand knots anymore since I keep my hair straight so much.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm pretty sure I'm APL and think I can make BSL by year's end. My 4C hair is fine, but dense. You can't tell in my pictures because I just finished flat ironing my hair.

Bedtime Routine:

If I am bunning, then I use a liquid, cream, then seal with oil or my coconut shea mix. I then put my hair in one braid and use GHE. If I'm wearing it down, I add a little oil to my ends and cross wrap.

Daily Style

I either bun or blow dry straight and KIM until about the 7th or 8th week of my stretch. At that point it's bun or blow dry and flat iron.

Cleansing/DC Routine

I wash/cowash once or twice a week. DC with something from Alter Ego or Nexxus Humectress (whichever I have on hand) and use Nexxus Emergencee every other week followed by my usual DC.

Relaxer Schedule

I relax at 10-12 wks using Linange Shea Butter Relaxer. I also get my ends trimmed at Great Clips after a relaxer.

You have nice hair. How was your experience at Great clips? I have been considering going to a chain salon for my trims. My Dominican lady is amazing, but her trims are more like cuts :look:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Here are the nudies :lol: The front has straight ends from some heat damage. A lot of pics I know, but hopefully that will give you guys a good idea of the type/s.

You're 4a...maybe some 4b mixed in there, but definitely 4a :yep: That is how my coils look and I am 4 a/b.

Leo24Rule

I don't think I'm doing the LOC/LCO method right. I've been doing a pre-poo of coconut oil & Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner. Wash only scalp with Shea Moisture JBCO Shampoo & Rinse, Add more Trader Joe's Conditioner, and tea rinse. Then spritz hair with more tea, add Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner and comb out. Last step is applying my Shea Butter mix. I need a cream right?

snoop

I don't think I'm doing the LOC/LCO method right. I've been doing a pre-poo of coconut oil & Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner. Wash only scalp with Shea Moisture JBCO Shampoo & Rinse, Add more Trader Joe's Conditioner, and tea rinse. Then spritz hair with more tea, add Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner and comb out. Last step is applying my Shea Butter mix. I need a cream right?

It sounds like:

L= tea spritz
C= Shea Moisture conditioner
O= shea butter mix

I don't think you need anything else.

missyrayne19

I think I'm gonna try washing my hair in braids for the first time today. My hair's getting at a length where it's tangling more and more the longer it gets. I see longer haired ladies do this all the time so maybe it'll help me too!

MkLaShay

I'd like to join! I'm in WSL 2015 and decided to come over here too. I'm currently at BSL and a few inches from MBL. I'm hoping to be there by July 1st

Attachments

• 20141228_202240_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    20141228_202240_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 2014-12-23 22.24.01.jpg
    2014-12-23 22.24.01.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2014-12-29 00.45.05.jpg
    2014-12-29 00.45.05.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 57

snoop

I think I'm gonna try washing my hair in braids for the first time today. My hair's getting at a length where it's tangling more and more the longer it gets. I see longer haired ladies do this all the time so maybe it'll help me too!

Let us know how it goes. I usually wash in two mini two strand twists and it works quite well.

melisandre

I'd like to join this challenge. My hair is APL, 4a/b, natural, fine strands, medium density. I'd like to make MBL this year. My regimen includes:
- 1x/week shampooing and deep conditioning under my steamer, followed by moisturizing + sealing + air drying
- 1x/month wash with clarifying shampoo
- 1x/month cassia treatment
- hiding my hair under wigs (in twists or braids)
- spritzing at least every other day
- mostly finger detangling, limited use of combs

ETA: More info about my hair and goals

Attachments

• Dec.31.2014.jpg
    Dec.31.2014.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

quirkydimples

Prettymetty

For the last 10-15 years I've been going to Great Clips, Super Cuts or some place like that for trims. I only had one bad experience and that's because I didn't open my mouth when the newbie took out thinning shears (that was back when I was a straightened natural).

They cut all day every day, so they're fast, cheap, and you're facing the mirror the entire time. I just make sure my hair is straight and tell them exactly what I want...$12, unless I really only needed a dusting, then I might get charged $4 (same price as getting your bangs cut).

FollicleFanatic

Prettymetty I'll probably get stoned for saying this, but I hate trying to detangle and blend the front of my hair with the rest. It's like night and day! Oddly enough I get ssks everywhere but the front smh.

MkLaShay your pony looks so lush!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I get my hair done tomorrow so I'm going to do a coconut oil prepoo tomorrow. I feel like the coconut oil protects my hair from that first lather shampoo at the salon.

Leo24Rule

For those who moisturize everyday how's your hair on wash day: still silky, soft, or dry and matted?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
For those who moisturize everyday how's your hair on wash day: still silky, soft, or dry and matted?

I moisturize every couple days, but since wash day only happens every few weeks my hair is always full of buildup/stiff. It is still very soft, but just weighed down. Wash day is tomorrow :yay:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Straight haired naturals or relaxed ladies: What do you do on rainy days?

It has been raining a few times a week and I am really trying to preserve my straight hair.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
^^^I have been doing that too. I have an emergency silk scarf in there too. Ya never know what's gonna happen

pinkchocolatedaisy

I'd like to join as well! Here are my starting pics (tired to get one in my bra...not sure what's up with that blur)

ForumRunner_20150105_170634.jpg

ForumRunner_20150105_170654.jpg

I wash, deep condition and then blow dry and flat iron weekly. I wear my hair in a bun or some type of ponytail. Very rarely down. I'm natural btw...Don't know what my hair type is.

I hope to bsl this year. If I can make it to mbl that would be great!

quirkydimples

As a relaxed head...I don't care about rain. I did when I was natural because I was a straight natural. Now that I don't have to worry about reversion...don't care.

This is probably also because my hair is never really "done." I wear is straight down or in a bun. If it were down and got wet = bun. I try to keep it simple.

Leo24Rule

I moisturize every couple days, but since wash day only happens every few weeks my hair is always full of buildup/stiff. It is still very soft, but just weighed down. Wash day is tomorrow :yay:

Then may I ask what is your hair regimen? And what is your hair type?

missyrayne19

Let us know how it goes. I usually wash in two mini two strand twists and it works quite well.

I got frustrated and ended up quitting half way through. I didn't feel like my hair was getting "clean", especially since I pre-poo with oil. Ended up taking them out and washing my hair loose :ohwell:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'd like to join as well! Here are my starting pics (tired to get one in my bra...not sure what's up with that blur)

View attachment 292119

View attachment 292121

I wash, deep condition and then blow dry and flat iron weekly. I wear my hair in a bun or some type of ponytail. Very rarely down. I'm natural btw...Don't know what my hair type is.

I hope to bsl this year. If I can make it to mbl that would be great!

beautiful hair! I have to update the challenger list tomorrow

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Then may I ask what is your regimen? And what is your hair type?

I get my hair washed and blown out monthly. The first few days I don't add any products and I cross wrap nightly. I moisturize as needed with Neutrogena silk touch cream and I seal with argan oil. Before my blowout I prepoo overnight with coconut oil. Since it's freezing tonight I used evoo instead.

snoop

I got frustrated and ended up quitting half way through. I didn't feel like my hair was getting "clean", especially since I pre-poo with oil. Ended up taking them out and washing my hair loose :ohwell:

I was hoping that you had discoveredthe trick to washibg in braids.

You can always try medium sized twists that are loose at the roots. This way you have room to massage your scalp but also product can get into and out of the length of your hair.

I found that braids bound my hair to tightly for shampoo/conditioner to be washed out properly, but twisted hair was easier to manipulate.

iLurk

found an old pic. my hair was jacked up then but i have been able to get to bsl before