BEAT THE HEAT: HOT GIRLS 2015

Lylddlebit

This is my straight hair pic for may 10. I have been meaning to spend more time on the for keeping up with this thread April and May just ended up being extremely hectic for me. Even though I haven't checked the thread as often as normal I have been adhering to the challenge. Here is my may pic of me straightening my hair in May. I finished unpacking and finally found my camera so my pictures for June should be better quality.

Attachments

• IMAG0083.jpg
    IMAG0083.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 149

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I got my hair blown out/flat ironed yesterday. It isn't as smooth at the roots as when I go to a Dominican salon, but overall I love it. My next appt is in 3 weeks so this has to last.

Lylddlebit

Is it too late to join? I've just transitioned into being a hot girl in the past week.

Yep you can join anytime, matter of fact, Jun. 30 is the next progress check in date so if you could have a starting pic for the end of June it would be a great contribution

davisbr88

1-What is your hair type and starting length? Relaxed or natural?
3c/4a natural, low-medium density, soft medium strands, low-normal porosity
2-Short version of your regimen.
I plan to heat stretch on ~ 180 degrees (flat iron on airdried hair) once per week and wear a bun/braid-out/dry rollerset.
On wash day, I will DC with heat on dry hair, shampoo, condition, and twist up my hair with heat protectant to dry overnight. I will flat iron in the morning.

3-What type of direct heat do you plan to use? How often?
Flat iron; once per week. I will also blow dry and straighten in order to trim my ends each season.
4-What heat protectant will you use?
Tresemme 7-Day Keratin Smooth treatment
5-Why do you like to use direct heat?
Now that my hair has gotten longer, the tangles and SSKs (and the splits as a result of the SSKs) have gotten out of control. I know I need to keep my hair stretched and no-heat stretching doesn't seem to last longer than a couple of days and definitely not through workouts and/or hot days.
6-What is your goal for the year?
I'd like to reach w'hip length by the end of the year.
7-Please post a starting picture.
The line is at WL. I think I am about 1.5" away.

davisbr88

Does anyone use hairspray here? And if so, can you recommend a brand?
I curled my hair with the flat iron last week and it was gorgeous but the wind pretty much straightened it out when I was walking around outside.

Lylddlebit

I am a fan of Tigi Spoil me. I haven't found a wow grail hairspray that leaves my hair soft like there is no hairspray but holds to perfection yet. However, the spoil me is the closest I have gotten to it. It leaves my hair soft, smells good and has decent hold without a lot of buildup. I need to buy a bottle now, haven't used it in a while.

Lylddlebit

I don't use hairspray @davisbr88. My curls never last more than a day either :(

How is yalls hair holding up in this heat? The sweat is killing my roots. I miss my relaxed days...

Mine is holding up pretty well. I don't sweat a lot in my scalp, but I do have to make sure I wear sheer tops/cardigans over my summer dresses so when my back sweats a bit the hair doesn't cling to my back where the skin is bare. We have had a heatwave this week so I have been cranking my ac up in the car and house but my hair is laid lol.

Last edited:

davisbr88

I decided to do a quick wash and condition. My hair was still straight from Saturday's flat iron but I've been cooped up in the house sick and I wanted to pamper myself.
I did a blow-out on cool using the tension method since I'm not supposed to use heat again until Friday (I'm following the rules, @Lylddlebit! LOL). It took twice as long and didn't get nearly as stretched (probably about 50-60% of the length of my regular blow-outs):

But it was enough for my purposes of bunning my hair until my next real wash day on Friday:

I'm changing my sheets - don't judge me!

I like how it turned out for the most part, and I'm happy my hair is finally long enough to completely cover the two thick headbands I'm using as filler. My hair is on the thinner side so I needed length to pull it off.
I will probably wear this style often, especially when my heat stretched hair gets older.

davisbr88

I think I am going to stick to weekly warm tension blow-out buns for the rest of the summer. I am getting ready to head to hot, humid, and polluted China next week for a month and I don't even want to entertain wearing my hair down. Last night's cool blow-out gave me a decent stretch and kept enough texture for a decent-sized bun, so I will keep doing it but with some heat for a bit more stretch and quicker styling (and so I don't get kicked out of this thread already :giggle:).
Currently baggying last night's bun under a head wrap, which I will probably do often:

davisbr88

Wash day results:

I DC'ed with fenugreek paste, washed with rhassoul clay, and twisted in 8 sections overnight with cocoa butter. I flat ironed on 190F this morning and put in around 10 1" rollers with a little bit of Giovanni Vitapro spray for a dry rollerset. Took it out 3 hours later. I will probably do this process every week from now on instead of blowdrying. My hair feels so much more moisturized than when I blow dry. And this will probably make a cute bun.

Ok, I'm done with hair pictures for a while. Just noticed all of the posts have been mine lately... LOL.

Lylddlebit

Goodness this has been a busy year! I am still pressing my hair once a month though. Last press was the week of August 10. Next press will be next week.

Attachments

• IMAG0170.jpg
    IMAG0170.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 89

Lylddlebit

I trimmed an inch and a half almost-2 inches off my ends. I goofed over the weekend and let my hair shrink fully which caused a bunch of knots and required some cutting. I put the post in a random hair thoughts thread explaining my mistake in more detail. Anyway, whenever I make a hair mistake I baby my hair for a while before my next straightening. I would hate to jump ship on the challenge so close to the end of the year. So instead of dropping I am going to stretch my next press until Halloween and baby my hair before my next straight day that way I am still meeting the rules.

Lylddlebit

I was planning to wait until halloween to straighten BUTTTTTT I bought the Sedu Prive Icon blow dryer that I have been wanting for years now and couldn't wait any longer to use it. So I am straightening now. Pictures to come...

Some people review the sedu prive and say it's too strong for it's own good, blowing out out easily. However, Sedu blow dryers are the best blow dryers I have ever used and the icon although very expensive full price comes with a 6 year warranty so I went for it. So far yep it's awesome two -3 blow dry passes per section and dry hair...RIGHT ON!

Last edited:

coconifah

A natural girl living in an unnatural world
I know im all late and out of date for the challemge but how the heck do you upload pictures???

Lylddlebit

Pictures

I edited the one from the back like 5 times lol it's so hard to get one from the back that shows with you fully centered in the back without being turned away to much left or right but this is the last one and I'm just leaving it. Not bad for that 2 inch trim I did last month after my mini set back. Not as good as I expect it to be once we get to December and I trim again though.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Lylddlebit

@Lylddlebit does it get as hot as the blowdryers at the Dominican salon?

Well I admit I have never gotten a dominican blow out. I only watched my friends get them at the salon and alway have patroned black salons with the traditional blow dry press and curl instead. However one of my former stylist used those super hot blow dryers and the dominican method of blow drying and that sucker was hot as heck. I used to have to hold my ear. This dryer isn't like that. Instead of fear of burning hair, the force that the air came out was the strongest that I have ever experiences on a blow dryer. The features says the air coms out at 93 mph so I believe that is the impact, forcing more ionic air our at a time rather than the hottest blow dryer you can find. It does get considerably hot enough just not hot enough to burn your scalp/hair as you pass oner the section. .