BUNNING

rufus12

HELP!!!!! I am a newbie, and I need help with bunning for short hair, maybe a phony pony bun or any ideas that would be helpful. I do not want to apply heat or manipulate my hair that much at all.....just DC, co-wash, moisturize and sealing. Any suggestions?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
HELP!!!!! I am a newbie, and I need help with bunning for short hair, maybe a phony pony bun or any ideas that would be helpful. I do not want to apply heat or manipulate my hair that much at all.....just DC, co-wash, moisturize and sealing. Any suggestions?

I Phony Bunned this summer and I had this much hair:look:*snaps finger* I would co-wash, DC, Moisture and apply a light Serum, tie hair down with Scarf.

After removing scarf, hair was nice, sleek and moisturized and I attached the phony bun on with Pins.:yep:

lolascurls

Another alternative is a donut bun or sock bun (can be made with a tube sock with the toe part cut out and rolled on itself). It works pretty well an you can spray your bun daily. I sleep in this bun alot with a satin scarf on to lay edges down for the morning. HTHs!:)

Triniwegian

Ponies sounds like a good idea, great protective style.
Just make sure you don't pull it too tight trying to bun it at all cost.
Your simple reggie sounds like it is spot on.
Happy hair growing!

TeeWhyAre

hi there! :welcome: :newbie:

here is the album of a former member here. she was an inspiration to lots of the ladies with crazy long hair you see today. her name is adrienne0914 if you ever wanna view any of her other threads but she and babygurl (another person whose threads you may wanna go through) both grew their hair to waist length from being unable to bun.

i hope you find the album and methods mentioned by them helpful Adrienne's Hair Album

rufus12

Thank you so much Ladies'! I will also check out Adrienne0914 and babygurl right now......:yep:
LOL

wontonfm

Another alternative is a donut bun or sock bun (can be made with a tube sock with the toe part cut out and rolled on itself). It works pretty well an you can spray your bun daily. I sleep in this bun alot with a satin scarf on to lay edges down for the morning. HTHs!:)

The donut bun is my #1 style right now. I don't sleep in it though because i'm afraid of the friction on my hair.

There are a few youtube tutorials on donut buns.

Bene

I'm of the minority who think if your hair is too short to bun, it doesn't need bunning. It's not long enough to get snagged on anything or to rub on any harsh textured things like clothes or chairs or something. It's still relatively young hair, so it just doesn't need "protection" like longer hair does. I think bunning is only for hair that's long enough to get in the way. If it isn't, don't worry about it. Head bands and clips are more than enough to keep hair out of your face at that stage.

RosesBlack

When my hair was too short for a whole bun I did a lot of puffy semi buns. I would make a comfortable ponytail, then pin my ends after oiling them. I also did a lot of tiny buns w/fake ponies and sock buns as well.

PPGbubbles

In my early natural days i used to rock fake puffs to hide my hair. I had a small super kinky one and a larger one that looked like a bantu knot out. I was a great PS and I loved it!

Babygurl

Bunning is what I swore by while growing my hair, it helped me retain almost all of my growth in the first 4 years I wore buns. I highly recommend them as a way to retain growth while protecting and nurturing your hair! I do have a couple ideas for buns in my fotki year 2 album, check it out!

rufus12

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! This is the information that I needed the only thing that I do not have is the twisted hair scrunchie which I will be getting next week. I cannot wait to start bunning!
LOL:yep:

Last edited:

LadyRaider

My hair is still too short for the donut bun from Sally's. However, I figured out that I could put my hair in a pony using a scrunchie, then shape my hair around the scrunchie and it makes a small bun. Then I put another scrunchie around the outside to hold it.

I bought some satin scrunchies on Ebay. I love them!

I also use a phony pony wrap (you know the circle thing) from Tony tail that works well for me.