C-COW-C: a fusion wash method

Cinnabuns

Hello ladies, I found this on another forum and I thought that I would share this with anyone that would like to try it. I have done it twice already and I must say that I will never wash my hair the old way (WC) again. :)

C-COW-C (C - CO+W - C, C-"cow"-C, or C-:Cow:-C)
(can be pronounced in any of the above ways)

also known as "Doing the Moo" or "Moo Shampoo" (courtesy of Wavelength)

This fusion method is basically a combination CO and CWC (diluting shampoo in plain water). The grease goes away, but the moisture can stay!

The method begins with the basic CWC, but it is modified by the addition of conditioner to your shampoo. Cutting shampoo this way added moisture and you get the best of both worlds (the CO and the CWC), since oftentimes people can only go one way or the other. C-COW-C is a middle ground.

This method works best for the following kinds of people:
Those who itch from CO but would like a gentler method of cleansing anyway
Those who get too greasy from CO and have a difficult adjustment period - [may help] Those with dry scalp, but who still have dead skin buildup that can be removed only by a detergent (???).

You will need the same stuff you'd use for a CWC:
- The same C-onditioner you'd normally use for CO or CWC (e.g. any of the V05 regulars, any Suave Naturals, White Rain, etc.)
- your regular shampoo (W-ash)
- a plastic squeeze bottle, ~24 oz or less (I use a plain old ketchup bottle)
- seamless rake comb, if you use one
- your favorite final C-onditioner

(1) The first C: Wet scalp and entire length. Work the light conditioner into your ends or into the "bottom half" of your hair.
(2) Make your COW cocktail: In a squeezie bottle, add 1 dose (a dose is your regular amount of shampoo) of shampoo and 1-2 heaping tbsp of the same light conditioner. Add 8-14 oz of water and shake well. This isn't scientific by any means. Some people could end up preferring less water, if they use less shampoo. As long as you end up with a nice cappuccino froth. Just today (02/16/2005) I made two separate COW cocktails, each one being about 6 oz. Each cocktail contained 1 tsp of C and a nickel-sized dollop of shampoo.
(3) Apply your COW cocktail: Squeeze contents onto wet scalp, massaging the scalp lightly as you would with a CO wash. Finger comb only in this step, even though there is conditioner involved.
(4) Rinse very VERY well.
(5) Apply your regular conditioner normally; generally from the ears down. Comb, rinse, etc.. as usual.

With this method, I get a "clean" feeling that still has the bounce of CO or CWC. This method does differ from CWC in practice, since the shampoo is made more gentle by the addition of light conditioner.

There hasn't been enough documentation of this method. If anyone has anything to add, I'll be happy to edit this entry.

Please let me know how it works out for you if you try it. (Who knows if it works out for everyone I would love to start a challange later on:))

God Bless

Oh great my first tryer of "the Big Cow":weird:

Please post once you have done this. i would love to know your results. :)

You know another reason why I like this method so much is that it I'm able to use very little of my poo's & cons rather than using too much of it. :)

This sounds interesting... but I'm about to get a relaxer on Thursday so can't wash for a little while. I wonder how this would work with a moisturizing 'poo like NTM and a clarifying con ( Vo5 Kiwi & Lime) :scratchch ....
ETA: Thanks for posting BTW!

Last edited:
I'm govong up shampoo for a while, but this will be interesting to try when I incorporate it back into my routine. Thanks.

MeccaMedinah said:
I've done this for my daughter's hair. We have a bottle of this sitting in the shower. ;)

Oh so how did it work for your daughters hair? I really like doing the C-COW-C method and my hair stays well moisturized and shiny for days until my next wash. Did your daugther have the same results?

LOL! I think the "W" means the wash (shampoo) part. CO (condition only) + W (shampoo wash) combo?

The moo shampoo! LOL That is too funny.

This is very interesting since I used to do the CWC method. I will have to try this.

CatSuga said:
I'm still confused??????? c-cow-what???

Yes, cinnabuns, i think you are on to something MAJOR. this is great. CatSuga it sounds a little confusing but when u really think about it, it makes perfect sense. the C-cow-C means, apply C(conditioner)- then do a COW(cowash with a dolop of poo) then apply your final C (conditioner). (am i right cinnabuns?)

I think this will work for me because i've tried cowashes and it leaves my scalp white with product buildup and it itches like crazy the day afterwards. I've been diluting my poo with water, but the thought of adding conditioner to the mix is a GREAT idea.

I'll make this my official way of pooing my hair.

thanks Cinna!

Mizani_Mrs said:
Yes, cinnabuns, i think you are on to something MAJOR. this is great. CatSuga it sounds a little confusing but when u really think about it, it makes perfect sense. the C-cow-C means, apply C(conditioner)- then do a COW(cowash with a dolop of poo) then apply your final C (conditioner). (am i right cinnabuns?)

I think this will work for me because i've tried cowashes and it leaves my scalp white with product buildup and it itches like crazy the day afterwards. I've been diluting my poo with water, but the thought of adding conditioner to the mix is a GREAT idea.

I'll make this my official way of pooing my hair.

thanks Cinna!

You are welcome Mizani_Mrs. (BTW, I like your name)

Yes that is explained exactly right you can do it anyway that you like, or you may do it this way.

C = Conditioner you can apply it to your hair (this could be a pre-poo or oilve oil or oil of choice <---this is what I do) then rinse out
CO or COW= Conditioner Only Wash (this "C" can be with any old cheap conditioner VO5 or Suave)
W = Wash (or you can use the "W" for a regular poo-wash) which means that you could use the shampoo of your choice, but please use very little because contrary to what I've learned in the past is that shampoos can be very drying to the hair if used in excess. :)
C = Conditioner Only (with this final "C" you can use one of your favorite conditioners. I like to use the more expensive ones, like Kenra or Keracare, etc. Or you could use a spray leave-in such as a detangler combined with a little creamy leave-in.

The "COW" or :Cow: is what is being infused!

The way that I do it is the "Fushion Way" and this is the way that I recommend that everyone do it which is combining all those ingredients (except for the first and last "C") that I listed at the top into one squezable bottle with water added - you could use rosewater mixed with water, which is a great choice also. :)

Ladies however you do the C-:Cow:-C Method is great, just make sure that you incorporate all the steps and you will do great and above all feel free to modify. :)

Sometimes when I'm in the shower I turn into a mad chemist and I add more conditioner and even less poo (like say half a teaspoon) or something and then I change it up with a good smelling conditioner.

You can make it fun!!!:weird:

You know I've found that I like the different affects from different conditioners and with this method I can get the best of both worlds. For example I like the way that VO5's Strawberries and Cream adds strength to my hair but for me it does not moisturize enough, but if I add something else like Suave's Freesia then I have something that looks like this:

Protein + Moisturizer = One Heck of A Great Balance:trampolin

I hope that this has helped you Catsuga. If not then anyone who has questions, please feel free to pm me if you'd like. :)

Last edited:
MeccaMedinah said:
I've done this for my daughter's hair. We have a bottle of this sitting in the shower. ;)

I would also like to know how it is working for your daughters hair. I may have to try this on my own daughter's hair. This seems like a good balance.
Thanks for the info.

Let me tell you ladies,

Cinna showed me how to this over the weekend. She mixed up White Rain Conditioner (about 3 capfulls) w/ Creme-of-Nature Shampoo (1 capfull) and she filled the rest of the bottle with water.

All I can say is WOW!! :weird: My hair didn't feel weighed down or anything. Shampooing has always seemed to strip my hair (even though the ph level was never high) and co washing has always left my scalp itchy. This was a perfect combination. I'm washing my hair tonight and I can't wait to mix some of shampoos/conditioners together. :think:

Thanks Cinna for posting this. :grin:

I'm so glad that it worked out for you Sugaplum! :kiss:

Shampooing has always been a problem for my hair (dryness, limp, stripped) and conditioner washes always made my scalp so itchy. But combining this method together is really gives amazing results. This method is truly the best that I have ever tried. :)

Tanelions said:
I would also like to know how it is working for your daughters hair. I may have to try this on my own daughter's hair. This seems like a good balance.
Thanks for the info.

I tried this on her when I realized that conditioner washes appeared to be causing her problems & that straight shampoo was too drying. We had good results. Softer more moisturized hair but still very clean. I have my best results though on my daughter & myself by just diluting some Dr. Bronner's castile soap- just a squirt and a big cup of water. HTH

MeccaMedinah said:
I tried this on her when I realized that conditioner washes appeared to be causing her problems & that straight shampoo was too drying. We had good results. Softer more moisturized hair but still very clean. I have my best results though on my daughter & myself by just diluting some Dr. Bronner's castile soap- just a squirt and a big cup of water. HTH

Wow, I will try this on her the next time I wash.

MeccaMedinah said:

Hmm...I have not thought about using this. I have some from Trader's Joes with peppermint oil added it. I might give this a try also...back to the labratory. :p

So basically it's just pre poo, adding conditioner to shampoo, and condition right, or am I missing something? For some reason it seems like something simple but it's coming across so complicated (for me anyway). Must be all the c's and CW's and cows and stuff.

sprungonhairboards said:
So basically it's just pre poo, adding conditioner to shampoo, and condition right, or am I missing something? For some reason it seems like something simple but it's coming across so complicated (for me anyway). Must be all the c's and CW's and cows and stuff.

Yes exactly!

Step 1: Do a pre-poo (leave on for however long you want) then rinse
Step 2: Do a Conditioner Wash then rinse
Step 3: Use the COW :Cow: which is mixing the poo, con with water in a ketchup bottle then rinse out.
Step 4: Finally do another Conditioner wash and rinse or you could us a leave-in)

And then that's it. I hope that this helped you a little if not then feel free to pm me. :)

Hey Cinna,

I did this again last night. And all I have to say is :yay: :lol:

I did a pre-poo treatment of Queen Helen's Cholesterol for about an hour. Then In a empty shampoo bottle filled with water, I added 2 capfulls of Pantene Relaxed & Natural Shampoo with VO5 Sun-Kissed Raspberry Conditioner, and I shook all this up very well (Untill the miture was a milky white color).

In the shower, I rinsed out the cholesterol, and poured the concotion over the hair. What a great slip I got afterwards. :yep: I used the Black N' Sassy Carribean Leave-in and Kemi Oyl on my ends.

My hair was not weighed, there was ZERO build-up, and my hair has soooo much body. I can't wait to see what I will mix up next. I strongly recommend doing this. :yay:

Hoorah :weird:The Moo-Poo is catching on

Wow sugaplum, I like your line-up there of products, I'm going to do mine tonight also and I can't wait to see what I'm going to create next.

Anybody else out there being a mad scientist in the shower with the C-:Cow:-C?:lol:

I'm gonna try this tonight.

sugaplum, I never prepoo'd with Cholesterol. Did you put it on dry hair or did you wet your hair first?

baglady215 said:
I'm gonna try this tonight.

sugaplum, I never prepoo'd with Cholesterol. Did you put it on dry hair or did you wet your hair first?

Hey, baglady :wave:

Yeah, I do this all the time with great results. :up: I put this on dry hair and I leave it on for 1 hour (no heat) as a pre-poo. I do this once a week. I use either Hollywood's Carrot Cholesterol or Queen Helen's Cholesterol. :yep:

HTH

sugaplum said:
Hey, baglady :wave:

Yeah, I do this all the time with great results. :up: I put this on dry hair and I leave it on for 1 hour (no heat) as a pre-poo. I do this once a week. I use either Hollywood's Carrot Cholesterol or Queen Helen's Cholesterol. :yep:

HTH

Thanks sugaplum!

Cinnabuns said:
You are welcome Mizani_Mrs. (BTW, I like your name)

**Blushing** awwww, thanks, Cinna! Well i'm glad to read that everybody is having good results. I will try this in a day or so, or should i say as soon as i can get off my lazy @$$.... :look:

Back