Calling all Naturals/Transitioners

BahatiSeey2

I have a question that only you can help me with. My sister began transitioning in November 2005. She wore sew-ins up intil 2 weeks ago and is currently having a very difficult time combing through her natural hair. She has petitioned me to find out which leave-ins, detanglers, and other products naturals have found useful in maintaining/combing hair. She works out 3-4 times a week and sweats very heavily (in her head) even at night. She has been using tea tree and coconut oil(s) also, but complains that her hair is chronically dry. She can only comb the perimeter of her hair, the comb will not penetrate the crown so she just pulls it up into a pony-tail. I have suggested conditioner washes. Any suggestions??:perplexed

ayoung

Conditioner washes is a great idea.

She should also comb(wide tooth comb) her hair only when wet/very damp--doing it dry is asking for trouble.

For moisture---she may want to try a butter--like shea or mango to add w/ her coconut oil

As for leave ins---i love a basic leave in of conditioner and water--spray it on her hair and she is ready to go! She can spray her hair w/ this and then comb/style also.

i'm sure others will have some great tips for you as well....

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Tell her to get a k-kutter comb. If her hair is always dry she may need to clarify to remove build up. When I went natural the first products I found to work for me were Qhemet Biologics. You cant go wrong with any of her stuff, they will make her hair real soft. She has an AWESOME detangler. My honeychild has some things I like also, but I always go back to qhemet.

BahatiSeey2

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am relaying this info to her now and she is very grateful. I just don't want her to become frustrated and relax again when I know that she really wants to transition. Thanks again!!!

so1913

ONLY detangle when wet, Paul Mitchell the detalgler is excellent. BBD Stretch cream is excellent (used as leave in and/or deep treatment) at keeping the hair strong and from breaking. A LARGE tooth comb, I love my Conair Shower Comb. Use a natural butter based product to seal in moisture.

BahatiSeey2

Maybe I shouldn't say transitioning. I think she'll be natural forever. Our mother has been natural for over 40 yrs, so relaxed hair is something we embraced. It's ('going natural') something she's always wanted to do, but because my sister's hair is coarse and very difficult to maintain--according to stylist and herself-- she stuck with the relaxer. Mississippi definitely is not big on natural hair care. Now that she is in Atlanta, she has more options and I just want to support her as much as possible in this 'transition'.

Brownshugaz

She should section her hair in a several parts and then saturate each section with a thick conditioner or cholesterol. Comb through each section from tip to root with a wide tooth comb. Then rinse out the conditioner. Comb through it again while your hair is under the water. The pressure from the shower will help to loosen and tangles that are left.

For moisture she should try a butter like shea butter or a water type moisturizer. She should also clarify her hair to rid it of build up and then do a deep moisturizing conditioner.

caligirl

Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner is great for increasing elasticity (so the hair doesn't break when you comb it) and it has prevented my hair from matting during my transition.

syoulee1

Pantene Hydrating Curls Conditioner has been my saving grace when I detangle.

As far as leave in's I just tried NTM silk-touch leave in and I am in love! I have been sleeping on this. Also Aussie "Knot Forgotten" is a good detangler.

I also use either my trusty K-Cutter or a Jilbere shower comb. The right comb is essential!

Lucia

When the hair was weaved did she moisterize it? then if not she's got some serious moisture treatments to do, maybe several times a week she should deep conditon.
Matrix Biolage baume demelmant/detangling balme is really, really good after you've condionted for a rinse and detangle with this in then lightly rinse out.
She should do clarifying (ACV rinse) and deep conditioning treatments w cholesterol (shea in it), mayonaisse, or another thick conditioner. Scurl no drip, CW, minimal or no cones, and def. no shampoo's.
Only use oils to seal for protection so the moisture doesn't get out. don't forget to trim the ends even id it's self dusting trims. hth

sweetascocoa

kenra moistursing conditioner is the only conditioner that detangles my hair. and i only comb my hair when im in the shower. i conditioner wash every and i dont experience any breakage

tropicexotic

free @ last
I dunno if she has a health food store near her, but if she does I just bought a hair and scalp tonic called 'Hairever II' by Home Health and I combed through my hair extra easy today. There's lots of great tips in this thread tho incase she can't find that particular product. I second a great wide tooth comb, and using a leave-in or something watery on her hair before combing through. :) HTH!

firecracker

I use the Pantene lite conditioner detangler on wet and dry hair. It is really lightweight. You don't need to spray much for a fast and easy tangle free combout and I use a large tooth comb. Since my year of being natural I have never had breakage, tangles or split ends. I have not had a trim or haircut in over a year either. My hair grows bob like without any asssistant. I don't plan on getting one until I get shoulder length natural hair either. :) I like being natural because its easier for me as I am hair lazy. I don't miss the salon not one bit. I do miss giving my own beautiful bouncy rollersets though.

jaiku

I think everyone already gave alot of good advice. The only thing I would suggest is different oils. Tea tree and coconut oils can be very drying for some people. I would switch to jojoba or olive oil.