Calling Protein Experts

DeQuendre

Do you think one can go without hardcore protein treatments altogether? Also do you think increasing internal protein intake is optimal compared to external treatments? Do you think hair type matters?

i ask this because I have been quite disappointed with a number of them. Aphogee, CPR, etc. However, with my barebones routine, replete with co-washes, I couldn't be happier with the condition of my hair (not length, although that's been improving too). I would only use the hard stuff when I had breakage, but I had a problem with color changes, feeling a little more stringy, harder to moisturize, which seems honestly to lead to more breakage. Of course, many of the conditioners I use have some protein/amino acids, but are not hard-core.

I am beginning to think that my increase of protein in food and supplements combined with a Moisture/Conditioning-emphasized hair routine will take care of things better than placing strong proteins on my hair. What do you think?

candibaby

i never do "hardcore" protein treatments. i might use a reconstructor once a month, but i dont consider those "hardcore". I just use shampoos/conditioners that have protein in them most of the time.

I think you should continue to do whatever has been working for you. If the "hardcore" protein treatments aren't working for you, dont use them.

patience

Healthy hair begins on the INSIDE and this includes getting adequate protein in your diet. In the "off topics" discussion forum on the "ARe you vegetarian" thread, I posted some links to vegetarian sources of protein if your interested.

As for the external treatments, they are beneficial...however, I feel that they work better when you also have a good balance on internal protein intake as well. However, note that if you have too much protein, you hair may be hard feeling. Therefore, always be sure to moisturize your hair.

Have you tried increasing your intake of protein and giving the external protein treatments a rest for a while?

Neroli

I'm still learning but I think with protein, less is more. I now only do "hard core" proteins around my relaxers to help add strength before and after the chemicals. I use nexxus emergencee or aphogee, ALWAYS followed by a serious deep moisturizing conditioner. The rest of the time, I use moisturizing conditioner washes, with the occasional "softcore protein" conditioner wash (nexxus keraphix or aubrey GPB).

By the way, I also only use shampoo around the chemicals at time I do the proteins to really cleans hair before and then again after. I have 4b relaxed and that seems to really really keep my hair healthy, strong and moisturized. I retouch every 10 to 12 weeks.

Angelicus

i never did a hardcore one. when my hair really needs to be pumped up, i use mayonnaise. that's as hardcore as it gets.

Patrice

I use QP breakage control Serum every other week and I dont think this is considered strong. I am planning on giving emergencee a try soon as well

DeQuendre

Thanks all. I think my harcardcore stuff is going to bite the dust soon.

Patience, that's exactly what I've been doing, and I really love it. And I am quite in interested in varying my source of protein. Particularly, I hear that spirulina and chlorella have a good amount too. I would love to get a good dose in pill form. Right now it's shakes, chicken, and fish (and sometimes peanut butter). I don't eat red meat . Also, Neroli, when I did the treatments I followed with a serious moisturizing conditioner too. But I didn't like how hard I had to work to keep it moisturized days later, plus there was the annoying light brown tint that always seemed to follow a treatment.

Also, Neroli, I haven't been shampooing often either. I have completely jumped on the (moisturizing) conditioner wash bandwagon, and my hair LOVES it. The first thing I noticed was how doing it frequently seems to deepen the color of my hair (sealing the shaft, maybe), plus moisturizing is a sinch! I mix in a little evoo or honey with it or with a a leave in afterwards, and my hair is good to go. This, plus using no heat in the last (I don't know how long), I'm sure has eliminated my need for serious protein.

Okay, anky, I have to ask: there is some product with mayonaise in the title that I just haven't heard, right? You don't actually mean...?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
DeQuendre said:
Do you think one can go without hardcore protein treatments altogether? Also do you think increasing internal protein intake is optimal compared to external treatments? Do you think hair type matters?

i ask this because I have been quite disappointed with a number of them. Aphogee, CPR, etc. However, with my barebones routine, replete with co-washes, I couldn't be happier with the condition of my hair (not length, although that's been improving too). I would only use the hard stuff when I had breakage, but I had a problem with color changes, feeling a little more stringy, harder to moisturize, which seems honestly to lead to more breakage. Of course, many of the conditioners I use have some protein/amino acids, but are not hard-core.

I am beginning to think that my increase of protein in food and supplements combined with a Moisture/Conditioning-emphasized hair routine will take care of things better than placing strong proteins on my hair. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

before finding this forum, i never heard of a protein treatment and never got one done and my hair survived without one. i started using Elasta Qp Breakage Control Serum on May 10 as my first protein treatment. it left my hair feeling great and it really cuts down on the breakage.

kitchen_tician

I've always done a protein treatment at least once a month, prior to joining the lchf. I think that's helped me retain my length.

I prefer the lighter ones, like Sally's ION Effective Care Trtmt. I don't really know if it's lighter or not, but it doesn't seem as intense as the Apoghee and it doesn't leave my hair feeling "weird".

Also, I really think the increase of protein and supplements will help. I don't take any supplements. Well. except for a can of Ensure for breakfast sometimes. I normally do that to maintain my weight. I never really thought of it being used as a good supplement for hair care. But i guess so, since it's full of "good stuff".

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
ms_jennifer said:
I have never done a hardcore protein treatment either.

[/ QUOTE ]
same here

beana3

If your hair is saying no, listen.

Protein maintenance is a very complex issue, and the amount of hard core, reconstructive or light tx' s depends on the individual.
For my relaxed 4a hair, doing a reconstructive or hard core protein treatments every 4-6weeks is a must to maintain my hair's health. supplementing from the inside can only help.

Maybe you should substitute a reconstructive tx with the hard core. something mildly reconstructive like affirm 5in 1 or elasta breakage control is good.