Can we talk about relaxing bone straight and why people do this??

*Michelle*

Please. I'm tyring to understand why someone would relax bone straight. When you relax bone straight, you are removing all natural curl pattern = no body/lifeless/limp hair. Think: People with naturally bone straight hair get a "body wave/perm" to add, well, body = movement.

Also, it breaks the hair bonds down so much, it is hard to recover and takes a LOT of effort, time energy to make the hair healthier.

Look, I'm not saying nobody doesn't have healthy bone straight hair and I'm not bashing. I really am trying to understand and hopefully help somebody!

Of all the hair things we do or can do, this is by far the MOST baffling and quiet honestly the most damaging single process we do (most of us don't bleach or if we do we keep it VERY short).

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:

PinkPeony

I'm texlaxed and texturized(about 40% of me hair) and I occasionally think about going bonestraight.

I have very few strands that are bonestraight and with the right products(SILICON MIX or Humectress) I can airdry them super sleek very similar to a rollerset or even being flatironed.

If you want to wear your hair straight alot I guess it would make sense for some because you can achieve straight hair more easily by rollersetting or airdrying.
Also detangling can be a mess with texturized hair.:lol:

That's just my two cents
:)

*Michelle*

ella said:
I'm texlaxed and texturized(about 40% of me hair) and I occasionally think about going bonestraight.

I have very few strands that are bonestraight and with the right products(SILICON MIX or Humectress) I can airdry them super sleek very similar to a rollerset or even being flatironed.

If you want to wear your hair straight alot I guess it would make sense for some because you can achieve straight hair more easily by rollersetting or airdrying.
Also detangling can be a mess with texturized hair.:lol:

That's just my two cents
:)

When you do this what does your hair look like? How does it feel?

Acheive straight hair more easily...but at what cost (if at all)?

Maybe the right products arent used?? Are all texturized heads hard to detangle???

hairmaster

They think the relaxer did not work if it not bone straight, and they have to work at styling their hair. I tried to get one friend to use a regular relaxer other than a super, she said it didn't work (do to her hair was not bone straight)

*Michelle*

hairmaster said:
They think the relaxer did not work if it not bone straight, and they have to work at styling their hair. I tried to get one friend to use a regular relaxer other than a super, she said it didn't work (do to her hair was not bone straight)

Now that is making sense...well not making sense, but you know what I mean!

I'm glad you mentioned super, because NOBODY needs super. Thats the second baffling thing to me :confused: Another marketing lie...

missjoey

IMO, bone straight hair is just easier to deal with and manage.

I recently converted to texlaxing by accident and can honestly say that my hair is much more difficult to deal with. Though I do love the fullness and thickness that texlaxing has given my hair, it's much more difficult for me to stretch my relaxer now. I have 4b hair and once I'm past 6 weeks my hair just turns against me.:lol: It's really bad. LOL I know that it's just a matter of getting used to the different hair textures and I'll stick with texlaxing for now, but only time will tell how long though. :perplexed

PinkPeony

Pixel Lady said:
When you do this what does your hair look like? How does it feel?

My straight strands feel very soft and sleek like silk or satin.My texturized hair feels soft too with the right products but it's not the same feel.

Acheive straight hair more easily...but at what cost (if at all)?

Well if you know what you're doing and take care of your hair you can have gorgeous straight hair.
If you're texlaxed or bone straight and don't know how to deal with your hair or abuse it with to much heat and manipulation you will have problems either way.:(

Maybe the right products arent used?? Are all texturized heads hard to detangle???
I think most are after a certain length is achieved
ORS replenishing Pak works like a charm for me and I have no problems with detangling yet.:)

After seing Macherie's hair videos I got a baaaad itch to relax straight but I think I would miss the thickness I get from texlaxing.

*Michelle*

ella said:
After seing Macherie's hair videos I got a baaaad itch to relax straight but I think I would miss the thickness I get from texlaxing.

Thanks for your answers. ;)

Undeniably, she has a beautiful head of hair...let me say it again...UNDENIABLY SHE HAS A BEAUTIFUL HEAD OF HAIR! Now with that said...I wonder if she is one of the exceptions to the rule??

Just trying to figure it out...Just pondering...

I wonder if this is best for certain hair types? Still wondering and pondering...

sugarose

I relax bone straight and have seen no damage since I found the boards and know how to care for my hair. Right now I'm stretching, but after my touch-up I can airdry and the result is straight hair. I really don't need to flat iron or rollerset or any of that.
Relaxing bone straight is easier for me. If you know what you are doing, it does not have to = damage.

Southernbella.

When I got my Halle Berry cut a few years back, my stylist relaxed me bone straight every 5 weeks. With short hair, you can get away with that and it's more desirable because short, puffy hair is not a good look.

As my hair grew, I found that it was thinner than I wanted it to be, and it had very little life or volume. I've always had thick hair, even when I was abusing it in high school, but my hair was thin for the first time in my life.

When I started doing my own hair, I texlaxed by accident and stuck with it. It was a very hard adjustment for me, because that bone-straight look is very seductive! My texlaxed hair would never really get bone-straight, but the thickness came back, so I was happy.

Now, I look back and think, why did I ever think my hair was SUPPOSED to be bone straight? I mean, I liked wearing straight styles, and probably always will, but I don't know why I thought bone straight was the only way to go. I guess it's because that's what I was used to.

Cbgo

I used to relax bone straight and now I am paying for it. My hair is thinner and just hangs there limp nor can it hold a curl for more than an hour. I really miss curls, even roller setting does no good after an hour or two. :(

PinkPeony

Pixel Lady said:
Thanks for your answers. ;)

Undeniably, she has a beautiful head of hair...let me say it again...UNDENIABLY SHE HAS A BEAUTIFUL HEAD OF HAIR! Now with that said...I wonder if she is one of the exceptions to the rule??

Just trying to figure it out...Just pondering...

I wonder if this is best for certain hair types? Still wondering and pondering...

Yes not everything is for everybody of course.
That goes for bone straight,natural,texlaxed,texturized every head of hair is different so some people can get away with it while others cant.
Southerngirl and Sylver are bonestraight too if I remember correctly.

IMO there is just not one size fits all rule.
Both have their pro's and cons and add to that the biggest variable... your own head of hair.:yep:

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
I never knew there was another option before LHCF. Stylists always did it bone straight so I figured that's what relaxers were supposed to do. Also leaving it on the recommended amount of time relaxes my hair bone straight..

I'd love to texlax but I don't want to deal with the two different textures on my head or use heat. I don't know :perplexed

*Michelle*

ella said:
Yes not everything is for everybody of course.
That goes for bone straight,natural,texlaxed,texturized every head of hair is different so some people can get away with it while others cant.
Southerngirl and Sylver are bonestraight too if I remember correctly.

IMO there is just not one size fits all rule.
Both have their pro's and cons and add to that the biggest variable... your own head of hair.:yep:

For the most part this is true...but the fact of the matter is, when you relax bone straight, you are completely breaking the cystine bonds and we know what that means in terms of condition. Just because someone's hair appears healthy doesn't mean it can't be healthier

You pointed out three women with beautiful heads of hair...I still think they are exceptions. However, I wonder if they all have the same hair type...this has my curiosity peaked!!

Last edited:

*Michelle*

lauren450 said:
When I got my Halle Berry cut a few years back, my stylist relaxed me bone straight every 5 weeks. With short hair, you can get away with that and it's more desirable because short, puffy hair is not a good look.

As my hair grew, I found that it was thinner than I wanted it to be, and it had very little life or volume. I've always had thick hair, even when I was abusing it in high school, but my hair was thin for the first time in my life.

When I started doing my own hair, I texlaxed by accident and stuck with it. It was a very hard adjustment for me, because that bone-straight look is very seductive! My texlaxed hair would never really get bone-straight, but the thickness came back, so I was happy.

Now, I look back and think, why did I ever think my hair was SUPPOSED to be bone straight? I mean, I liked wearing straight styles, and probably always will, but I don't know why I thought bone straight was the only way to go. I guess it's because that's what I was used to.

ITA! I think you have described the average...

PinkSkates

I don't have anything to add since I gave up on relaxers 7 years ago. But this is an excellent thread and you raise some interesting questions.

PinkPeony

Pixel Lady said:
For the most part this is true...but the fact of the matter is, when you relax bone straight, you are completely breaking the cystine bonds and we know what that means in terms of condition. Just because someone's hair appears healthy doesn't mean it can't be healthier

You pointed out three women with beautiful heads of hair...I still think they are exceptions. However, I wonder if they all have the same hair type...this has my curiosity peaked!!
I think they are all type 4a/b:)

I see and completly understand where youre coming from,just relaxing bone straight is not the debil in my eyes*I know you did not say that:lol: *

I personally probably would not go completly straight but just slightly texlaxed.Just because bone straight is for me a too big of a risk as I'am kinda sloppy with the application of my relaxers.:look:

Last edited:

mango387

I'll be perfectly honest. I love to have my hair relaxed bone straight every eight weeks.*** Why? I have worn my hair natural as an adult, and it was completely natural (4b and a sprinkle of 4a in the nape area-no texturizer or anything). As I explained to my concerned stylist, if I want my hair to be kinky, then I will transition. If I am going to wear my hair relaxed, then I want it straight-BONE straight. No straddling the fence for me. Does my hair suffer? Call me next year, and I'll tell you. As of right now, my uber-resistant coarse hair seems to be doing just fine. My hair is almost the length (APL in back) that it was as a child, and I am hopeful that it will surpass that point.

***I relax my nape last, because it is a different texture.

Sistaslick

Pixel Lady said:
I'm glad you mentioned super, because NOBODY needs super. Thats the second baffling thing to me :confused: Another marketing lie...

Well, I wouldn't say nobody. There are some people who would actually benefit from a super. Some individuals with thicker hair (by thick, I mean thick individual strands) have many more cutcile layers than others. I've read that normal hair can have as few as 6 and as many as 16 overlapping cuticle layers. You've seen folks with strands that are like strong thready, wires.:lol: They would need the higher pH to get the same result you'd get with a mild or regular in the same processing time.
Also, some people have hair with very low porosity (usually the same folk above with the thick strands) or have a lower overall body pH. They also need the higher pHs to help breach the cuticle.

But, I do agree that most of us certainly don't need super at all.:nono:

PinkPeony

Sistaslick said:
Well, I wouldn't say nobody. There are some people who would actually benefit from a super. Some individuals with thicker hair (by thick, I mean thick individual strands) have many more cutcile layers than others. I've read that normal hair can have as few as 6 and as many as 16 overlapping cuticle layers. You've seen folks with strands that are like strong thready, wires.:lol: They would need the higher pH to get the same result you'd get with a mild or regular in the same processing time.
Also, some people have hair with very low porosity (usually the same folk above with the thick strands) or have a lower overall body pH. They also need the higher pHs to help breach the cuticle.

Man Sista,you did it again.
Drop the knowledge on us.:lol:
I always wondered what makes hair thick or fine.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Bone straight hair helps ensure the sleekest -not a hair out of place - styles.

The reason why Aaliyah's picture pops up across hairboards - hell even on nappturality is because 'her hair' was flawless and there was never not nan stray hair out of place.

As Lauren mentioned for short styles with bone straight hair you don't have the poofyness.

It's kind of a taboo subject but if your hair is bone straight, you have better control over the finished 'look' that you are going for. The more texture to the hair, the more you have to compromise or learn to deal with what your end style will look like.

*Michelle*

Sistaslick said:

Hey Sista! I know about the cuticle, cortex, medula, thickness and all that...I know I'm going out on a limb by disagreeing with you. But I also feel we can agree to disagree ;)

Maybe I should quantify this statement; I have extensive professional training/licensing/awards including working for Mizani (before it was bought out by Loreal). In my professional experience I have been able to successfully relax every hair type without using super and I have worked with many stylist who were able to...this is why I say this. But again, I can only draw from "my" experiences and judging by this post...maybe there are more stylist who can't/didn't and just took the lazy way out!

I'm curios if only a certain hair type successfully does this? I wish I would have kept the records from my travels/experiences/hairshows of what worked well on what hair type. Man if hind sight was forsight...LOL!

As always you have provided good info for those that don't know. I wish I had the writing skills you have!

Sistaslick

ella said:
Man Sista,you did it again.
Drop the knowledge on us.:lol:
I always wondered what makes hair thick or fine.

Two things: hair density and strand circumference. Hair density is how much hair per sq inch you have and strand circumference is determined by number of cuticle layers and the presence or/absence of that inner medulla layer. Those things tend to be genetic. As a race, Asians tend to have the most cuticle layers.

You can have fine hair (strands), but still have a thick density. Or thick hair (strands), with low, sparse density. Okay, its 2am here... off to bed. :lol:

*Michelle*

JCoily said:

The reason why Aaliyah's picture pops up across hairboards - hell even on nappturality is because 'her hair' was flawless and there was never not nan stray hair out of place.

As Lauren mentioned for short styles with bone straight hair you don't have the poofyness.

It's kind of a taboo subject but if your hair is bone straight, you have better control over the finished 'look' that you are going for. The more texture to the hair, the more you have to compromise or learn to deal with what your end style will look like.

I'm not so sure this was because her hair was relaxed bone straight...if it in fact was.

How would this allow for more control? Would you elaborate on this please? Thanks!

You don't have to relax bone straight...to get end result bone straight hair. Naturals can bone straight hair.

*Michelle*

Sistaslick said:
Two things: hair density and strand circumference. Hair density is how much hair per sq inch you have and strand circumference is determined by number of cuticle layers and the presence or/absence of that inner medulla layer. Those things tend to be genetic. As a race, Asians tend to have the most cuticle layers.

You can have fine hair (strands), but still have a thick density. Or thick hair (strands), with low, sparse density. Okay, its 2am here... off to bed. :lol:

I absolutely agree! I explained this in the "How do I know if my hair is fine thread"!

I'm going to bed too...good night! :)

PinkPeony

Sistaslick said:

Someone on an other board explained this part to me as well.
I have thick hair but fine strands:)

JC I think you're right,my hair is texlaxed and it usually just explodes all over the place:lol:

ETA:
Pixel that sounds like a interesting read.. off to check it out

Sistaslick

Pixel Lady said:
Hey Sista! I know about the cuticle, cortex, medula, thickness and all that...I know I'm going out on a limb by disagreeing with you. But I also feel we can agree to disagree ;)

Maybe I should quantify this statement; I have extensive professional training/licensing/awards including working for Mizani (before it was bought out by Loreal). In my professional experience I have been able to successfully relax every hair type without using super and I have worked with many stylist who were able to...this is why I say this. But again, I can only draw from "my" experiences and judging by this post...maybe there are more stylist who can't/didn't and just took the lazy way out!

I'm curios if only a certain hair type successfully does this? I wish I would have kept the records from my travels/experiences/hairshows of what worked well on what hair type. Man if hind sight was forsight...LOL!

As always you have provided good info for those that don't know. I wish I had the writing skills you have!

Well I don't have the field experience you have girl! Though I do have a wire haired cousin who can only use super.:lol: Her hair also doesn't accept color very well. Maybe she needed to find you and get in touch with that Mizani regular. :lol:

But hey, tell me what you think about this... do you think that the formula may have something to do with it? Lye vs. No lye? Do you think that those who use no-lye with the lower pHs would be more likely to have to reach for a super to get the same basic straigtening they'd get from a lower strength lye relaxer? :scratchch Maybe that has something to do with it too? The desire of DIYer's to reach for a super kit.

Sistaslick

ella said:
Someone on an other board explained this part to me as well.
I have thick hair but fine strands:)

JC I think you're right,my hair is texlaxed and it usually just explodes all over the place:lol:

ETA:
Pixel that sounds like a interesting read.. off to check it out

me too! You can really see it when my hair is flatironed.:ohwell:

Sistaslick

*Thinks back to the Aaliyah is a natural who presses straight thread in the entertainment forum.* :lachen:

JCoily said:

*Happily Me*

I don't relax bone straight simply because I don't like the look on me. It looks too unnatural and besides, texlaxing is healthier for my hair.

But, when I saw Machieramour's video blog i was like :drool:. The way she was able to comb her hair from root to tip like that. Ah man! I haven't been able to do that in years!! She and Silver2 have beautiful healthy heads of bone straight hair. :)

I, too, have thick hair with fine strands.