Carol's Daughter filed for bankruptcy today

CaraWalker

Companies affiliated with beauty brand Carol’s Daughter filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Thursday.
According to court documents, Carol’s Daughter Stores LLC, filed a Chapter 11 petition with the Manhattan bankruptcy court. Court papers show that CD reported assets and debts each in the $1 million to $10 million range, was signed by Carol’s Daughter Chief Financial Officer John D. Elmer.
Carol’s Daughter is one of the first companies to cater to the natural hair community. It was founded in 1993 by Lisa Price, as she started mixing natural hair concoctions by hand. In recent years, celebrities such as Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith and Jay Z have promoted the natural hair line.

msdeevee

She was just on HSN today. She regained some of that weight she lost. I guess stress.

I never got too into her prods . Before she sold her company I guess before they were all natural they would go rancid too fast. After she sold her brand I bought her Monoi shampoo & conditioner that got great reviews but never did anything for me & my natural hair.

I do like her black vanilla leave in though it's not my fave.

Last edited:

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Product prices too darn high... :perplexed

and really weren't all that.

Carol's Daughter is almost NEVER mentioned as staple for most naturals so I'm not all that suprised.

Her products didn't work for my hair and were too heavily fragranced.

But what she did do is open the door for other product lines catering to naturals.

And for that, I am thankful.

I wish her the best in what is undoubtedly a stressful time, :nono:.

NaturalEnigma

I'm not surprised. I barely hear any good reviews about their products and they're overpriced. I could understand if they had good ingredients that you knew were hard to come by or expensive, but most of the products contained cheap herbs. She just started incorporating butters and oils in her new products.

Last edited:

almond eyes

I really jumped on that Carol's daughter bandwagon when it first came out. I was abroad and begged my mother to send me a care package with some Carol's daughter and my goodness after using one of her products, I had a migraine for one week. But that's sad.
Something went wrong somewhere in the plan.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Jace032000

Not that I would wish this upon anyone --- but I predict the Miss Jessies' line to follow suit. Their products are ridiculously priced and the ingredients are terrible. Seriously, I can't think of a single thing I like that they produce. Maybe it's just me...

Carol's Daughter products are hit or miss for me….I love her Hair Milk….that is all.

Last edited:

curlyTisME

I wonder what happened. Maybe the "natural hair boom" forced them to make changes to their products. Mass distribution could be to blame.

chejam

Once you start selling you products for the money, and not focusing on great quality ingredients for the natural hair, you soon go wrong.

RoundEyedGirl504

Aww sorry to hear this. I've never found her products to work for me. At that price point I can't afford to keep trying.

Funny thing miss Jessie's works for me. But I can't pay those ridiculous prices.

Embyra

Isn't miss jessie cheaper than carols daughter?

I feel like miss jessie will be here for a long time

Carols daughter had a lot of celebs for their ads which I'm sure cost a pretty penny

I bet that is a big reason why they gone bankrupt

nubiangoddess3

@ Embyra

I agree I think Carol's Daughter went bankrupt for a number of reasons

1. Marketing cost ( Celebrity endorsement) . She wasted money because her target market ( natural haircare market) uses Blog, Youtube, Etc to find out about products.

2. Competition. Competitor have better and cheaper products .

3. The Opening of Carol Daughter store instead of just having Sephora, Macy and Target selling the product line

ellebelle88

I'm sorry to hear about Carol's Daughter but I've never been interested in trying their products.

I do hope Miss Jessie's goes under next. I'm so sick of those two mass-marketing overpriced basic products because they are privileged to be mixed. The owners of Miss Jessies are relying on their curly3c type hair to market overpriced products to Black women who are under the false impression that the products will help their hair texture. Black women are paying for a false dream. Either Miss Jessie's needs to be forced to lower their prices or they should go under.

Lilmama1011

miss jessie's is next. too much money for crappy ingredients.

Yes, you can go to a regular beauty supply and get products filled with petroleum for less than half the price. I thought highly of miss Jessie until I saw those terrible ingredients