Carol's Daughter filed for bankruptcy today

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
@Dreamn

Was it better for them to be in Macy's and Sephora? Or, will they get more sales/revenue from being on the shelf in Target?

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

I have no idea. I'm just saying that once a brand goes to a big box store like Target, the stores that consider themselves higher end cosmetic retailers (and I'm using higher end loosely) will discontinue selling their products. I'm sure it's in their contracts somewhere.

djkforeal

That's too bad, I only really like her hair balm and that's her only product that I have and I still use. Never tried Ms. Jessies cause like other's have said it is way too expensive.

ronie

I have no idea. I'm just saying that once a brand goes to a big box store like Target, the stores that consider themselves higher end cosmetic retailers (and I'm using higher end loosely) will discontinue selling their products. I'm sure it's in their contracts somewhere.
Really? What about brands like macadamia nut oil, Paul Mitchell, Tigi, nexxus, mizzani, redken? They are all in the high end section of ulta, but they are also at target and cvs.

Allandra

There's a lot of competition out there with all the natural hair products / companies that have come into business.

Mz.MoMo5235

Meanwhile, Shea Moisture has better ingredients ,for a cheaper price, and they keep expanding.

That right there is the key. I used to go hard for CD. I loved that stuff and the price didnt bother me because a little went a long way. I didnt have to pile it on. Then I got into SM and found their stuff did the same, was cheaper, and I could get it locally (this was before CD was in target).

I never looked back.

I need to hop back on SM not that I think about it

RockRideTrue

I'm happy that she's still afloat, but something has to give. Her ingredients are crap, and prices way too high for said crap. CD needs to follow in the steps of SM, either decrease price, or up the quality. (Still SM,imo, will always have them beat--have you read the deliciousness they put in their body oil-for only $10?!?!?!?)

Vashti

Maybe CD will go back to basics and learn how to market to those of us with highly textured natural hair. With the products that actually work.

Last edited:

Vashti

I'm sorry to hear about Carol's Daughter but I've never been interested in trying their products.

I do hope Miss Jessie's goes under next. I'm so sick of those two mass-marketing overpriced basic products because they are privileged to be mixed. The owners of Miss Jessies are relying on their curly3c type hair to market overpriced products to Black women who are under the false impression that the products will help their hair texture. Black women are paying for a false dream. Either Miss Jessie's needs to be forced to lower their prices or they should go under.

You just told the truth. Besides, their hair isn't even that texture. They texturize their hair first it make it curlier. One of them does, anyway.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Really? What about brands like macadamia nut oil, Paul Mitchell, Tigi, nexxus, mizzani, redken? They are all in the high end section of ulta, but they are also at target and cvs.

These brands are also salon approved. Even more, there usually isn't a "huge" selection of these items in these stores, just what people are likely to buy. For example, the Duane reade by me sells paul mitchell and Redken, but mostly shampoos, conditioners and stylers and they will be specific lines of the line. The BSS sells the entire of both lines These items also come in larger sized containers and while they are expensive, their formulas aren't constantly being manipulated.

I remember it took me months to use up a 60ounce bottle of nexxus shampoo and conditioner. And I mean like 6 months. And I didn't have to use a lot. I spent roughly $60 on products every 6-7 months. You don't need a lot of their stuff too. I had a bottle of Redken for a year and it was 3/4 full before I gave it away.

I think for most of the ladies here, it's about what's proven from quality, quantity and cost. Her conditioners cost $20 and last barely last 3 washes. For a product that fails so many of us, I don't think we shade her, she just needs to do better compared to her competitors.

naheda72

CD is my staple. I use HHB, black vanilla leave in, her shampoos and I just received my order for her black vanilla conditioner, oil and leave in. I only use other products with my CD stash, versus instead of.

greenandchic

Not that I would wish this upon anyone --- but I predict the Miss Jessies' line to follow suit. Their products are ridiculously priced and the ingredients are terrible. Seriously, I can't think of a single thing I like that they produce. Maybe it's just me...

Carol's Daughter products are hit or miss for me….I love her Hair Milk….that is all.

I'm actually shocked Miss Jessies didn't fall after they changed their name from "Curve Salon" and the two sisters had a huge falling out before they kissed and made up. :look: They pissed a lot of customers off when they closed announced.

I purchased CD products back in the late 1990s when it was still a small mail order company. I liked the fact that there were no mineral oils and it was a black owned company. Times have changed in the natural hair world, the market has changed dramatically and so did CD. The products were always so/so to me but it was better than what was available at the time at the BSS and there were very few of us that were loose haired naturals. I currently like their Monoi line but won't repurchase when I run out due to the price (it was a gift).

I wish the company all the best regardless.

firecracker

I liked CD Hair Milk and Mango oil only. All CD good stuff was discontinued.

As for Miss Jessie's I like several of their products as they work well for my texturized and natural hair. I only purchased during their 2 for one sale.

I hope she rebounds from this since its only the stores that are going under.

DirectorChic

and really weren't all that.

Carol's Daughter is almost NEVER mentioned as staple for most naturals so I'm not all that suprised.

Her products didn't work for my hair and were too heavily fragranced.

But what she did do is open the door for other product lines catering to naturals.

And for that, I am thankful.

I wish her the best in what is undoubtedly a stressful time, :nono:.

Double Post.

DirectorChic

and really weren't all that.

Carol's Daughter is almost NEVER mentioned as staple for most naturals so I'm not all that suprised.

Her products didn't work for my hair and were too heavily fragranced.

But what she did do is open the door for other product lines catering to naturals.

And for that, I am thankful.

I wish her the best in what is undoubtedly a stressful time, :nono:.

It used to be one of the first lines people went to when they first went natural. But not any more. There are other products out there now, that compete very well. Maybe she will re-invent her line (and prices) when the smoke clears?:look::look:

MzRhonda

She is on HSN now I know you can not always tell the race of someone by their voice but the callers raving about this line sound yt.

I bought CD when she first came out and was making it in her home....it was ok.

I think she thinks she is marketing to natural ladies but her marketing pieces have yt folks as the hair models (what I am seeing now on HSN).

For those interested many of the products today are anniversary priced, autoship and flex pay.

lookingforkeona

I've been on my natural journey for about 8 month. I used her monoi shampoo and conditioner when I started growing out my perm. I had the trial set and it didn't work well enough to continue it and buy the bigger, pricier bottles when it was gone, but it was ok.
It did start using her hair milk. I've had 2 bottles and after this bottle is done I'm not buying it. It isn't nearly worth the price. It's runny and just doesn't do anything for me.

The only thing I do like is the Lisa's Hair and Scalp Elixir. I had bad dandruff and an itchy scalp before I started using it. Now the bottle is almost gone and my scalp feels better than ever and I have no dandruff.

Hibiscus30

MzRhonda

I'm not sure who's her target audience is anymore...I used her products yrs ago...and I kinda stocked up on the tui oil when Belk cleared her products out.

My white co-worker with thick curly hair loves the line! She came up to me one day and we started a "hair convo". I had no idea white ladies "love" her products...but so many do.