Carol's Daughter filed for bankruptcy today

Xavier

I'm not surprised at all. A few years ago it seemed that Carol's Daughter was the only natural hair product company around. These days you can find a lot more affordable products for natural hair.

ronie

I went to the mall the other day and their store was closed. I thought that they moved. So I went to macys looking for them, and the CD section was emtied out. I went to another mall, same thing. I didn't think it was that serious though.

Jace032000

I'm sorry to hear about Carol's Daughter but I've never been interested in trying their products.

I do hope Miss Jessie's goes under next. I'm so sick of those two mass-marketing overpriced basic products because they are privileged to be mixed. The owners of Miss Jessies are relying on their curly3c type hair to market overpriced products to Black women who are under the false impression that the products will help their hair texture. Black women are paying for a false dream. Either Miss Jessie's needs to be forced to lower their prices or they should go under.

:lachen:
I laugh but it is so true! When I first started my HJ years ago--I was young, naive and fell into that trap. I bought an entire $60 set of Miss Jessies thinking my 4A/4B hair would be transformed to loose 3B/3C curls….WRONG!

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I was a bit surprised CD went to Target being that for years it was in more expensive stores. And the weekly sales on the site, seemed odd. Then I thought someone said Ulta stopped carrying the line.

I will say CD was my first "natural" hair care purchase, back in the day. Hopefully she can revamp the line, put in quality ingredients that work, and make it affordable, and not rely on celebrity endorsements.

RegaLady

Well her website is still up.

Many companies file for bankruptcy to start all over again. It is a quick way to get out bad debt:look:

She will bounce back.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
To me it wasn't even about affordability it was about quality.

The only good product she had was good was the khoret amen but it was heavily fragranced. It was still really good and had the least amount of junk and fillers. Then she reformulate the conditioner by discontinuing it and then only offering it with an olive oil infusion. Then the olive oil infusion was just oils that most of us have at home.

Her shampoos were too drying. Her conditioners where nothing but glycerin in addition to things. Her hair butters and stylers were either to heavy, drying or sticky. I always heard from naturals in NYC that her stuff was great when she was in flea markets but it became crap when she went into her own business.

Her products became the Pantene of black hair for me. I hope she bounces back, but she needs to lower the price and up the quality.

SoSwanky

Perfectly Posh...
Macy's stopped selling Carol's Daughter a few months ago. I went in and "cleaned up ":look: the Black Vanilla Condish, Olive Oil Treatment, and various body products. For me, the body products are where it's at and you can run up on those a TJMax/Marshall's.

MrsMe

Macy's stopped selling Carol's Daughter a few months ago. I went in and "cleaned up ":look: the Black Vanilla Condish, Olive Oil Treatment, and various body products. For me, the body products are where it's at and you can run up on those a TJMax/Marshall's.
I did the same thing and decided to test out a few products that I hadn't tried before. The only ones I still like and use are the body products :lick: and the Black Vanilla hairspray. The rest turned my hair into a crunchy dry mess.
Why does she insist on putting beeswax in her products? I hate it!

Sent from my iPad...excuse the typos. I don't get mentions on the app. :( PM me for a faster response

iVR

The stores filed for bankruptcy not the actual parent company. It's in the article buried in all those colorful words.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
Macy's, Ulta, and Sephora stopped (or will stop) selling the CD products because of their move to Target.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Dreamn

Was it better for them to be in Macy's and Sephora? Or, will they get more sales/revenue from being on the shelf in Target?

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

AmiJay

I'm guessing it's because so there are so many other options that aren't as expensive.
I bought 2 of her products in 2007 or 2008. One left white residue in my hair and made it itch. The other was Lisa's Hair oil. It smelled horrible so it sat until I threw away.

ThePerfectScore

To be honest the best products for my natural hair I get from the grocery store.... in the food aisles...

like Coconut oil

As far as hair companies I love the underrated products no one talks about like Hawaiian silky 14 in 1.

As far as the natural hair companies the only one I've tried was Kinky Curly.... but to be honest I get the same results for a fraction of the price using Coconut Oil, Hawaiian Silky and ECCO Styler.

Carol's Daughters products always smelled like booty to me so I skipped over them at the store.

Lilmama1011

To be honest the best products for my natural hair I get from the grocery store.... in the food aisles...

like Coconut oil

As far as hair companies I love the underrated products no one talks about like Hawaiian silky 14 in 1.

As far as the natural hair companies the only one I've tried was Kinky Curly.... but to be honest I get the same results for a fraction of the price using Coconut Oil, Hawaiian Silky and ECCO Styler.

Carol's Daughters products always smelled like booty to me so I skipped over them at the store.

Booty?! Lol

Divine Inspiration

Well her website is still up. Many companies file for bankruptcy to start all over again. It is a quick way to get out bad debt:look: She will bounce back.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the parent company will continue to operate and is in healthy financial condition. The bankruptcy filing concerns their stores (owned by a subsidiary of Carol's Daughter Holdings). They're closing all of their stores except the 2 in NYC.

The way this story is written is misleading. The holding company is not bankrupt. Carol's Daughter will continue to make products and appear on store shelves.

Urban

^^ She was smart in separating the stores from the parent company. It's a good business lesson for those planning on going into business!

Beany

SMH, what a shame.

Back in 2008ish when my hair was relaxed, I liked the hair balm. Recently, when Target had that $5 off $15 sale I bought another bottle to test the waters then give the rest to my mom (if it was still as good as I remembered). If it's not like I remembered I'll just use it as a body balm lol.

BonBon

I haven't heard anyone mention Carols Daughter for YEARS. I'm sure someones using it but none of the threads I click in seem to give that brand a shout out.

Not surprised.

nerdography

CD's products suck. I tried the Tui shampoo, and my hair cussed me out. My hair did the same thing with Miss Jessie's.

NaturallyATLPCH

Isn't miss jessie cheaper than carols daughter?

I feel like miss jessie will be here for a long time

Carols daughter had a lot of celebs for their ads which I'm sure cost a pretty penny

I bet that is a big reason why they gone bankrupt

Hmmmmm, I don't know about Miss Jessie's being next. There are people who have some of her products as staples. I'm not one of them. :lol:

I feel bad for Carol's Daughter but she will bounce back quickly. Bankruptcy is just a way to start a clean slate and rebuild, it doesn't mean life is over. Her line never intrigued me either.

oneastrocurlie

According to the Wall Street Journal, the parent company will continue to operate and is in healthy financial condition. The bankruptcy filing concerns their stores (owned by a subsidiary of Carol's Daughter Holdings). They're closing all of their stores except the 2 in NYC.

The way this story is written is misleading. The holding company is not bankrupt. Carol's Daughter will continue to make products and appear on store shelves.

Well that changes what I was going to say lol.

I've never tried CD. It being at Target got me to at least look at it. But when you have Oyin and Shea Moisture on the same shelf. I'll pass.

It is pretty interesting that I never see it mentioned on hair boards as staple products.

Ann0804

I'm not surprised by this news at all. The products are aweful.

I like miss Jessie's products. They always have great sales. As a 4c I don't expect to have curls by using their products and I don't believe other coily hair types expect that either. Not every type 4 person is disillusioned and is trying to sport curls that's what curl formers are for.

Embyra

I'm not surprised by this news at all. The products are aweful. I like miss Jessie's products. They always have great sales. As a 4c I don't expect to have curls by using their products and I don't believe other coily hair types expect that either. Not every type 4 person is disillusioned and is trying to sport curls that's what curl formers are for.

Exactly maybe when they first started type 4 people where led to believe different about what could be done with their hair

But I just looked on their website and they have lots of new products and lots of tutorials for kinky hair showing you what steps are needed to create different looks

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

bydebra

I like Carol's Daughter's products :look:. I also met Lisa Price at a pop-up store that they had at the Essence Festival a couple of years back. She was really nice and was talking to all of the customers and taking pictures.

I find it really hard to believe that they are bankrupt. She makes a killing on HSN alone. I'm glad to hear it's just the physical stores and not the entire company. I do think her prices are a bit high, but I think that most of these start-up natural hair companies have overpriced products.