Castor Oil Challenge 2012 (June-December)

LexiDior

Borrowing the format from the previous challenge
T
he challenge will begin on June 10, 2012 and end on December 10, 2012.

Rules :bat:
-Thank this post to join the challenge.
- You must submit a starting photo.
-- You can use any type of Castor Oil you desire.
-You must apply the castor oil to your scalp 3x’s a week at the minimum.
-You may apply the castor oil to the length of your hair if you wish to seal.
- You may mix your castor oil with another oil if it is too thick for you, or if irritation occurs.
--Check in once a week and let us know how your hair is doing.
-By the end of the challenge, December 10th, 2012, post your starting photo and your ending photo together.

No prize this time, sorry.

Now that thats out of the way...

What type of Castor Oil will you be using:
Tell us a bit about your hair:
How will you be using your Castor Oil:

Alright hair, lets grow grow grow!!

Last edited:

lilpooky

Thanks for starting a new challenge. I wasn't visiting the board frequently when the old challenge began but I would like to join this one. I will be using Now Solutions 100% pure expeller-pressed and hexane free castor oil that I got from iherb.com and JBCO whenever I use up the first one. My hair is relaxed APL and basically I want to promote my hair's growth and thickness. I will be using my castor oil nightly by applying to my scalp and sealing my hair after moisturizing. I don't have a starting pic yet, but I will get one up after my relaxer on Tuesday.

LexiDior

What type of Castor Oil will you be using: i will be using pure castor oil from Walgreens a long with super gro brand castor oil
Tell us a bit about your hair: as of right now my hair is ear length and relaxed. my hair is naturally thick so i hope to get length from the castor oil.
How will you be using your Castor Oil: I will use the castor oil 3x a week. twice as a leave in after i wash and once as a moisturizer. I mixed the two castor oils mentioned above with Dr. Miracle Gro Oil and apply it to my scalp and ends since its my ends are so short.

Starting pic:

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 70

CurlsBazillion

My starting photo is not recent (April) and I will be doing another length check with my new camera at the end of the month for the HYH reveal and I will post here.
What type of Castor Oil will you be using: regular
Tell us a bit about your hair: fine strands, APL
How will you be using your Castor Oil: on scalp and sealing when in protective styles.

Attachments

• 2012-04-04_21-54-47_533.jpg
    2012-04-04_21-54-47_533.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 72

alive

This is right on time for me! Just started using Castor Oil again this weekend.

About the oil:
I'm using the home health brand from puritans pride.

About my hair:
4a/b (mostly 4a). It's a few inches past my shoulders when stretched (which is almost never :lol:). It's extremely dry and loves to split. I'm hoping that castor oil and some TLC will help with both issues :yep:

Last edited:

CurlsBazillion

Whats up checking in. I massaged my scalp in "layers" first coconut then emu and lastly castor. I don't know what prompted me to do it this way but I loved it. my hair and scalp soaks up coconut and emu oils like its nothing so after about an hour my hair wasn't oily by my standards.

Eclipse

I'd like to join! I started using it yesterday.

What type of Castor Oil will you be using: Tropic Isle Lavender JBCO

Tell us a bit about your hair: Currently transitioning to natural. Last relaxer was Nov 2011

How will you be using your Castor Oil: Apply to the scalp 3x/week and add to my DC 2x/week

Attachments

• 6.6.12.jpg
    6.6.12.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 45

lilpooky

I forgot to mention that I've used castor oil on my hair and scalp 1x this week so far on Sunday night right after I moisturized with Care Free Curl Gold.

Here's my starting pic.

My starting pic was taken today after relaxing from being 17 1/2 weeks post. I'm hoping I achieve full bsl and mbl by the end of the year.

Eclipse

Checking in: Applied JBCO to my scalp last night. Tonight, I added about 3 tablespoons to my DC mix.

Hairroots

Just received my JBCO. How'd you know :lol:.

I'm a relaxed head. I like to stay in braidouts. I'm 13 weeks post relaxer on a 24 week stretch. My goal is to improve my thickness. I will be using castor oil 3x's weekly as a scalp massage. Also using it in my conditioner. I also plan on mixing up a moisurizing spritz that will include castor oil.

Thank you for this thread.

mamaore

LexiDior what are the benefits of JBCO? I use it for my scalp but I''m not sure what results to expect? How is it different from ceramide oils?

SoopremeBeing

I'd like to join! May I post my starting pic this weekend? I am taking down my kinky twists, then doing a twist out.

LexiDior

@LexiDior what are the benefits of JBCO? I use it for my scalp but I''m not sure what results to expect? How is it different from ceramide oils?

Castor oil ,regardless of whether or not its jbco or pure castor oil is a great anti-fungal. putting it on your hair regularly kills the bacteria that hinders hair growth. After the first use most people notice thicker, healthier hair. Castor is also great for moisturizing because the scalp can absorb it. Ceramides are naturally found on hair strands and helps the cuticles lay flat.

shortt29

I would love to join!

JBCO
Tell us a bit about your hair: Long term transition to natural (Almost 4 months post)
How will you be using your Castor Oil: To grow in healthy edges and promote overall thickness!

Here are a few starting photos of my horrible edges:

Attachments

• Hair line 1.JPG
    Hair line 1.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Edges left.JPG
    Edges left.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Edges right.JPG
    Edges right.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Edges right 2.JPG
    Edges right 2.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Close up of hair line.JPG
    Close up of hair line.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Ronnieaj

I'm in. I'll be using castor oil from three sources, an oil blend that I make myself, which contains castor oil, vatika oil, avocado oil, bhringraj oil, and rice bran oil, and two butters from Hairitage hydration, Jar of Joe and Sprout.

I hope that my starting picture is attached. This is the first time that I've tried to upload it from my camera.

Attachments

• image-3598697995.jpg
    image-3598697995.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 50

CHANNYY

Thanks for starting this challenge!! I'm looking to gain length as well as growth.

JBCO
Tell us a bit about your hair: I think its a lil pass SL but not APL

How will you be using your Castor Oil:
I will be using to seal!!

I will post a pic by Sunday...once I wash for the week

Last edited:

lilpooky

shortt29 your edges are WAAAY better than mine! :)

I Moisturized and massaged castor oil to my scalp and on my hair tonight. Since my relaxer I have also been experiencing less breakage so that is a plus.

lilpooky

My JBCO came in today, so I tried it on my hair and scalp tonight. I like how it is light and non-greasy, and it gives my hair great shine.

SoopremeBeing

Hi! I am officially joining now, here is my start pic:

Please excuse the filthy mirror, lol

This is after I washed, DC'ed for 45 min, air dried for 30 min, and blow dried on low for 5 min. I am grazing SL, and I am not sure what my hair type is.

The castor oil I am using is from Starwest BodyCare, a natural/organic supply company out of Rancho Cordova, California. I bought all my other oils from there, except for my EVOO, which I got from Vitacost. I use it as a sealant for my ends, as I have a homemade mix of oils already.

Not much of a smell to it, which is nice, and it's not a heavy oil which I also like.

LexiDior

checking in. today i used aphogee two step treatment and finished everything off with castor oil.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I'm in. :yep: I'll be massaging it into my edges but I can't do it straight onto my entire scalp.... it gives me sinus infections. :ohwell: I can mix it with conditioners and such, use it on my edges, and on my ends. :yep: