Chase the Comb Flat Iron Technique (Atlanta JJ)

zzirvingj

You can substitute a small toothed comb where I had my brush but in my experience brushes are better for my knotty head

Very interesting!!! Cuz this is EXACTLY how the stylist that pressed my hair last week did it! (she used a comb, though)

empressri

Holy sh*t you ladies are the best! I just tried this with my boar bristled brush and it's a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEE difference than using the comb!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN why didn't I see this thread half a head ago! lol

AtlantaJJ

Very interesting!!! Cuz this is EXACTLY how the stylist that pressed my hair last week did it! (she used a comb, though)

Your hair is so pretty, I have to highjack my own thread! :laugh: How did you get a roller set to look like that on natural hair do tell!!

AtlantaJJ

Holy sh*t you ladies are the best! I just tried this with my boar bristled brush and it's a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEE difference than using the comb!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN why didn't I see this thread half a head ago! lol
:yahoo: I'm so glad it worked for you...I'm going to have a chance to do this in December, I can't wait...When I finally do straighten, I am going to do it right!

empressri

:yahoo: I'm so glad it worked for you...I'm going to have a chance to do this in December, I can't wait...When I finally do straighten, I am going to do it right!

Girl you don't know, I'm over the freakin MOON right now! I was fussing so bad this morning my fiance was about to take me wherever I wanted to get a new flat iron.

Now if you know how much I buy hair stuff, he is so not the enabler. But to see my hair straight he'll go almost to the ends of the earth lol.

I was about to buy the sedu! Now I don't have to..

Aw hell, I might do it anyway, yanno, just in case hehe!

AtlantaJJ

Girl you don't know, I'm over the freakin MOON right now! I was fussing so bad this morning my fiance was about to take me wherever I wanted to get a new flat iron.

Now if you know how much I buy hair stuff, he is so not the enabler. But to see my hair straight he'll go almost to the ends of the earth lol.

I was about to buy the sedu! Now I don't have to..

Aw hell, I might do it anyway, yanno, just in case hehe!
:up: Yes you must get the Sedu, just for back-up purposes only of course .. and since you got his sympathy, it would be ashamed for it to go to waste :yep: You have pictures?

empressri

:up: Yes you must get the Sedu, just for back-up purposes only of course .. and since you got his sympathy, it would be ashamed for it to go to waste :yep: You have pictures?

hehe!!! YOU'RE ANOTHER ENABLER!!!!!!! I swear, you ladies have made be buy more stuff....

Ooh I'm almost done! And let me say, this cuts my pressing time wayyyy down than compared to before. I have before and after shots too!!

Wait, I posted a new vlog on youtube, check out my shrinkage. Well, I had my hair in cornrows so it's stretched out a bit more than a wash and go BUT I really though my hair was going to be brushing my armpit in terms of length.

It's still down my back. Shrinkage is a ****!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgIr9y2IHAU

morehairplease

You can substitute a small toothed comb where I had my brush but in my experience brushes are better for my knotty head

Wow, this is neat. I wish I would have known about this when I went natural the first time. After being natural for close to 2 years, I went to a stylist to flat iron/dust my hair(4a/b).....it was torture to say the least(shortly after that I had to do another forced bc and start all over :wallbash::wallbash:).

AtlantaJJ

hehe!!! YOU'RE ANOTHER ENABLER!!!!!!! I swear, you ladies have made be buy more stuff....

Ooh I'm almost done! And let me say, this cuts my pressing time wayyyy down than compared to before. I have before and after shots too!!

Wait, I posted a new vlog on youtube, check out my shrinkage. Well, I had my hair in cornrows so it's stretched out a bit more than a wash and go BUT I really though my hair was going to be brushing my armpit in terms of length.

It's still down my back. Shrinkage is a ****!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgIr9y2IHAU
OOoooooh you famous on YouTube :grin:!!

You are so pretty !! :up: Look at ALL that hair!! No wonder your honey wants to take you to the ends of the earth to help you get your hair the way you want it to be!! It's so thick it prolly takes you all day to get it straightend, that is before you found out about the "technique" that is!

I only want to enable you to get the things you need to keep your hair healthy happy and pretty! :grin: The Sedu is actually going to help ensure that you don't damage your hair while straightening because of the ceramic plates...that's why I want to get one too :yep:. Thanks for sharing, I"m going to have to stalk your Fotki's and YouTubes too!

empressri

OOoooooh you famous on YouTube :grin:!!

You are so pretty !! :up: Look at ALL that hair!! No wonder your honey wants to take you to the ends of the earth to help you get your hair the way you want it to be!! It's so thick it prolly takes you all day to get it straightend, that is before you found out about the "technique" that is!

I only want to enable you to get the things you need to keep your hair healthy happy and pretty! :grin: The Sedu is actually going to help ensure that you don't damage your hair while straightening because of the ceramic plates...that's why I want to get one too :yep:. Thanks for sharing, I"m going to have to stalk your Fotki's and YouTubes too!

Thanks girl!!! :grin:

Eh, you know, I was able to sit down my my living room with my honey while chatting with him and solia'ing at the same time...without looking!

Still getting the sedu. Just because lol.

Sha76

I have tried this before but sould not get the coordination. But I will continue to try to get it right.

AtlantaJJ

Goodys has a tool made specifically for this, they sell them at Walmat. The teeth are spaced to far appart for me however.

I am going to try with a boars head brush when I straighten my hair or a medium/fine tooth comb that won't melt...:lol:

BiRacialBarbie

i've been using this technique for about a year or so.. it works really good. The comb i used is ion infused, and it looks similiar to this

http://lastheplace.com/images/article-images/1A_New_Pics/michele/prosilk_comb.jpg

Thats not the excact one that i have, but basically its U shaped, and the teeth from the comb clamp down and insert into the bottom piece, therefore pulling your hair really tight so you can flat iron it easily. The 2 things i have personally benefited from using this comb is quicker flat iron time, (from 70 minutes to 40 min) and less passes needed from the flat iron to achieve that sleek look.. I bought mine at walmart. It was in the section with the combs/brushes. I think i paid like $7 for it..

I never flat iron without one..

But whatever I'm giving up heat for 09!!!

Muse

Goodys has a tool made specifically for this, they sell them at Walmat. The teeth are spaced to far appart for me however.

I am going to try with a boars head brush when I straighten my hair or a medium/fine tooth comb that won't melt...:lol:

I know the tool you are talking about and I have it but you are right it is spaced too far apart. I read some posts here where people were saying they get better results with a brush versus a comb. The Silk Elements brush from Sally's looks good and it's boar bristle.

AtlantaJJ

i've been using this technique for about a year or so.. it works really good. The comb i used is ion infused, and it looks similiar to this

http://lastheplace.com/images/article-images/1A_New_Pics/michele/prosilk_comb.jpg

Thats not the excact one that i have, but basically its U shaped, and the teeth from the comb clamp down and insert into the bottom piece, therefore pulling your hair really tight so you can flat iron it easily. The 2 things i have personally benefited from using this comb is quicker flat iron time, (from 70 minutes to 40 min) and less passes needed from the flat iron to achieve that sleek look.. I bought mine at walmart. It was in the section with the combs/brushes. I think i paid like $7 for it..

Oh this looks like it would really work, I haven't seen one like this at my local Walmart!

I would love to try this one, it looks perfect!!

Thanks for posting this!

AtlantaJJ

I'll buy that comb from ya! Take it off your hands so you won't be tempted by that evil heat :giggle:

BiRacialBarbie

But whatever I'm giving up heat for 09!!![/b]quote]
I'll buy that comb from ya! Take it off your hands so you won't be tempted by that evil heat :giggle:

:rolleyes: I might use it when i do my length checks...

but here i found my excact one!!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10319901

it doesnt say the price but if you put your zip in the box it will show u which walmart to get it from

Eisani

I'm going to try one of those "special" combs. I had to buy a new boar bristle brush because mine melted a lil bit :look:. I like my new one too much to risk melting!