Color-treated (and growing) Support Thread

pinkchocolatedaisy

This thread couldn't be more on time! I used to color my hair myself in the past when I was relaxed and :blush: the damage! Then I tried to use one of those at home higlighting kits by L'oreal- I had brassy orange ugly hair! I hid in a hat for weeks.

Now that I'm natural I have been thinking about color. I did do a semi perm color myself (Clairol Natural Insticts) back in July/Aug. I didn't notice any problems with my hair but the color didn't really show up. :wallbash: Plus, I don't think I did it right- obviously it's not the same applying color to coily, curly hair as it is with relaxed so it didn't show all over my head.

I am DYING to get highlights. What I really want is to get some highlights. I want to dye my natural (black/off black) hair like a chocolate brown and have some highlight in a lighter shade of brown - I don't want to go too light. After hearing so many rave reviews of Aveda color, I emailed their salon and they responded to me quite promptly. I am thinking of going in for a consultation at the very least (if they even do those). Since my hair isn't too long, I am thinking of just doing a single color first and seeing how my hair responds to that and as it grows and remains healthy, get some higlights.

What do you ladies think?

RocStar

I currently have blonde highlights (and a relaxer) and would have to agree with many of the things mentioned early in the thread. I think most important is:
1.) Only use color on hair that is currently healthy
2.) Colored hair usually requires more care
3.) And for me the key to retain the health and growth is MOISTURE, MOISTURE, and MOISTURE.

Good luck to all!

leona2025

Yup, it's me ....

Girl I am dying to color my hair, but it's so healthy and behaving well that I'm scared to mess it up. I was thinking about henna, but it seems like so much. How does the lumizes work? Can you use it to lighten your whole head and then apply a color over it? You do it yourself? What did you do to get the blonde color? I wanted to dye my whole head this color
or
. My hair is already naturally brown with some very light natural highlights. I would probably do the long layers in the front 1st to test the color out.

nymane

Girl I am dying to color my hair, but it's so healthy and behaving well that I'm scared to mess it up. I was thinking about henna, but it seems like so much. How does the lumizes work? Can you use it to lighten your whole head and then apply a color over it? You do it yourself? What did you do to get the blonde color? I wanted to dye my whole head this color
or
. My hair is already naturally brown with some very light natural highlights. I would probably do the long layers in the front 1st to test the color out.

I looovvvveee this color! :love: The 366...

CandyCurls

Last edited: