Confessions Thread

*Michelle*

jovan787 said:
Because my hair is very fine/thin and flat ironoing it gives it a more body and movement. I normally wrap it at night (not too tight) then tie it down and when I wake up its flat and lifeless. This was my routine pre LHCF :cool:

Any suggestions to maintain my hair's life and body without having to use a flat iron PLEEEEASE let me know. I have the thin lifeless hair that when I moves it gets stuck in place :(

My hair is fine too...so I understand the issues. I need to know if by chance are you relaxing with no-lye? Are you relaxing bone-straight?

Just because your hair is fine does not mean it should be lifeless...there is something else not quite right. Do you mind posting your regimen?

LovelyLionessa

naijamerican said:
- I have microbraids and they are not looking good at all right now. It is a battle for me to overcome my laziness and apathy and spray/moisturize them daily.

- For the past several months (and I mean SEVERAL, since last October) I have been contemplating getting a relaxer even though I've been natural for 7 years. I am so sick and tired of twists and braids that it's not even funny. But I am very scared of putting chemicals in.

- I am purposefully using products that go against what I believe I should be putting in my hair (that is, things that are not totally natural) and I don't even care.

- In fact, I almost don't care if my hair grows or not. I have been a member for 2 years and I never seem to achieve the growth that others do. I am thinking of cutting it all off and starting over because I'm so sick and tired of dealing with it and worrying about it.

- I still don't have a solid hair care regimen down.

Wow, I don't feel any better at all. Sorry so morose. :(

Don't worry Naij, it'll get better I promise. Cheer up. :kiss: I have my morose days too. We'll support you. Heck, I have just kinda got my reggie down, it's always a bit of a work in progress tho. :)

*Michelle*

Priestess said:
Don't worry Naij, it'll get better I promise. Cheer up. :kiss: I have my morose days too. We'll support you. Heck, I have just kinda got my reggie down, it's always a bit of a work in progress tho. :)

Oh man, I missed her post!

ITA with Priestess! Hang in there girl, once you get it down...stick with it! Also make sure you drink lots of water and are not anemic! (((HUGS)))

naijamerican

Thank you Priestess and Pixel Lady (Pixel, it's on the previous page). I am so discouraged about my hair. I got microbraids put in a month ago and they look like they've been in my hair for 2 months, maybe even 3. It's like I can't win. If I wear it out, it will get knotted in spite of twisting it. If I braid it it will look jacked up a month later when it's supposed to last at least 8 weeks. I know that I am not doing what I'm supposed to do. I'm in a time of stress right now with school and work. I don't even have the time or energy to do what I'm supposed to do take care of myself and it is having an adverse affect on my hair. Again, I am sorry - I am not trying to hijack this thread, I just want to explain why I am so downhearted about my hair. :(

Sasha Fierce

I didnt sleep with my hair covered for like 4 weeks or something. Just brushed it up and put a bobby pin in the back. I went to the hair dresser this Saturday and she had to hack it off cause of breakage. At least a got a cute cute :ohwell: Kinda like the girl off of real world reunion las vegas.

jovan787

HoneyDew said:
I flatiron my hair after airdrying and I really don't need to until I wash again. I use satin covered foam rollers on my hair at night - only a few - like 3 or 4 maybe. I roll it up, lay some sections down - like the bang, which I kinda just wrap around and tie it all down. That way my hair is not too flat. Actually sometimes I don't have to do that every night. I could do that one night and then the next just put on the satin bonnet if I just want it to be a bit flatter.

But, if your hair is just staying in place when it moves, I don't think flatironing everyday would be helpful to your hair over the long haul. Even if I don't do my nightly rollerset and my hair gets flat, I still have the movement, just not as much volume. So it seems that there is something else going on there. But, I am afraid for you if you will flatiron daily, especially since your first goal is healthy thick hair. That can't be too good for your goal.

If that is what you were doing before, did you retain your length and health of your hair?

No I really didnt retain length but I dont believe my hair was that unhealthy. Ive been on and off (mostly on) for a year and a half and my last real relaxer (December no-lye) I think my hair was bone straight. Im only going to have my braids out for one month then Ill be back in braids:cool: And I guess I should clarify....I will be using a lye relaxer (mizani or ORS lye) and I will texlax to retain some of the thickness Ive gained since Ive joined the board and Ive been in braids and havent put heat in in a long time. If I find (which I hope) that after waking up in the morning that my hair is full and has movement I wont flat iron but Im not too optimistic about that happening :ohwell:

jovan787

Pixel Lady said:
My hair is fine too...so I understand the issues. I need to know if by chance are you relaxing with no-lye? Are you relaxing bone-straight?

Just because your hair is fine does not mean it should be lifeless...there is something else not quite right. Do you mind posting your regimen?

Hey Pixel Lady. I was using a no-lye but when I relax in a few weeks Ill be using a lye (mizani or ORS) and Ill do a texlax. Ive been in braids for so long my regimen is moisturize every night before bed and wash once a week. When I take out my brraids I dont know what my regimen will be but I know that Ill wash once a week :ohwell:

BTW your hair looks so lovely. I would have never thought you had fine hair.

RubyWoo

jovan787 said:
Hey Nixx :wave: Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about rollersetting but I dont know how. Im hoping that macherieamour will have her tutorial out by the time I relax my hair. Im sure some people have tutorial in their fotki but Im a visual person so Ill need to see it in action.

Ive gotten a couple of Dominican blowouts where she did a rollerset but I wasnt paying much attention to what she was doing. I wrapped it at night and I think I still ended up flat ironing it everyday (It was a few months ago so I cant recall if I flat ironed everyday)
Hey jovan :wave:! I hear ya!!! I'm still trying to master rollersetting myself...:lol:..I'm almost there. Hopefully you'll be there soon as well once macherieamour has her tutorial out. Anyhow, Good luck with whatever you decide to do:)!

*Michelle*

jovan787 said:
Hey Pixel Lady. I was using a no-lye but when I relax in a few weeks Ill be using a lye (mizani or ORS) and Ill do a texlax. Ive been in braids for so long my regimen is moisturize every night before bed and wash once a week. When I take out my brraids I dont know what my regimen will be but I know that Ill wash once a week :ohwell:

BTW your hair looks so lovely. I would have never thought you had fine hair.

The no-lye and bone-straight...those are the MOST LIKELY culprits!! When you described what your hair is doing...or not doing...thats when I knew and thats why I asked!

Good luck converting to lye and texlax...if its done right you won't regret it ;)

Thank you for the hair compliment!

Jaegermany

*puts head down*

I used gel this morning....I dunno how Im supposed to stretch and wear buns if I cant get it layed all the way down! Im trying the best I can AND I also used moisturizer with it :perplexed

Dearlove

I cut off my monthly progress for three years straight...every three weeks, I would cut off the end of my twists. Instead of just trimming half a coil, I would cut off the bottom two turns of a coil. I thought my hair was dry. When I unrolled a strand, and realized each turn equalled a quarter inch in length, I almost died.