Confused

La Colocha

Sisters i have been gone a few days to take a rest and i have come back more confused than ever:nono:. I need help answering questions that i have because it is very important to me. This thread is not intended to cause confusion or division but i must know some things.

When is the sabbath? I have googled and i find that it is saturday, is that true? And if it is why does everyone worship on sunday. This has me very confused and im trying to seek the truth. And the reason that i want to know is that it says to keep lords day holy, but which day is it? I have read on internet searches that the catholic church changed the day from saturday to sunday is this true. I have prayed on this and i am still confused. Some even say its only a jewish law. Any help would be appreciated, some scripture or a site something, because i must know.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Sisters i have been gone a few days to take a rest and i have come back more confused than ever:nono:. I need help answering questions that i have because it is very important to me. This thread is not intended to cause confusion or division but i must know some things.

When is the sabbath? I have googled and i find that it is saturday, is that true? And if it is why does everyone worship on sunday. This has me very confused and im trying to seek the truth. And the reason that i want to know is that it says to keep lords day holy, but which day is it? I have read on internet searches that the catholic church changed the day from saturday to sunday is this true. I have prayed on this and i am still confused. Some even say its only a jewish law. Any help would be appreciated, some scripture or a site something, because i must know.

:kiss: This is a very good topic to share. Just know that God loves you no matter which day is chosen as a day of Rest and Worship unto Him .:yep:

Saturday Sabbath:

The Sabbath did originate on Saturday and is still honored as such by Jews, Messianic Jews and Many Christians.

Genesis 2:1-3

1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Sunday Sabbath:

However, it was changed to Sunday in honor of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Keywords in this scripture: First Day of the Week.

Matthew: 28:1-7
1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.

Those words "First Day of the Week" are the catalyst, the basis upon Sunday as the 'New Sabbath' , as Jesus, Himself is the New Testament, the New Covenant, the New Salvation that God has given unto us.

Again, Little One, God is not concerned with Saturday or Sunday, He values that your heart is in the day which one chooses as their Sabbath.

Let no man therefore judge you ............ in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the SABBATH days: (Colossians 2:16 pph)

Here's an online book which may be of help to you:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7877816/theearlychristiansabbath-fank-h

Now I do need to clarify that Jesus did not 'rise' on Sunday, as many interpretors have believed. Jesus arose exactly as was prophesied by the prophets; His Jewish Law was followed to the letter, which was at the end of the Sabbath on Saturday.

Hope this helps. There are many here who will help you to understand this. :yep:

Netta1

I am still researching the SABBATH but this is PRT 1 of what I have found so far. The web reference is given at the end:

Shouldn't we Keep Sunday in Honor of the Resurrection?
It is true that Jesus rose on the first day of the week, but nowhere is there the slightest intimation in the Bible for anyone to keep that day holy. The basis for Sabbath keeping is the direct handwritten command of God.

Many wonderful events occurred on certain days of the week, but we have no command to keep them holy. Jesus died for our sins on Friday. That is probably the most significant event in all of recorded history. It marks the moment my death sentence was commuted and my salvation assured. But not one Bible text hints that we should observe this day of such great significance.
It was a dramatic moment when Jesus rose from the grave on that Sunday morning, but there is not a scintilla of biblical evidence that we should observe it in honor of the resurrection. Not one instance of Sunday observance has been found in the recorded Scriptures.

There is, of course, a memorial of the resurrection commanded in the Bible, but it is not Sunday keeping. Paul wrote: "Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." Romans 6:4.

Baptism is the memorial of Christ's death, burial and resurrection. Those who believe that Sunday observance honors His resurrection cite the upper room meeting of the disciples on the same day He arose from the grave. To them that gathering was to celebrate His resurrection. But when we read the Bible record of the event, we discover that the circumstances were quite different. Luke tells us that, even though the disciples were confronted with the eyewitness story of Mary Magdalene, they "believed not." "After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country. And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them. Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen." Mark 16:12-14.

Obviously, none of those upper room disciples believed that He was raised, so they could not have been joyously celebrating the resurrection. John explains their reason for being together in these words: "The doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews." John 20:19.

^ Top
Wasn't The Sabbath Only a Memorial of Deliverance out of Egypt?

This strange idea is drawn from a single text in the Old Testament and is distorted to contradict many clear statements about the true origin of the Sabbath. The text is found in Deuteronomy 5:14, 15: "But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ***, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou. And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the Lord thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day."

Some people draw from this text that God gave the Sabbath as a memorial of the Exodus from Egypt. But the Genesis story of the making of the Sabbath (Genesis 2:1-3) and the wording of the fourth commandment by God Himself (Exodus 20:11) reveals the Sabbath as a memorial of creation.

The key to understanding these two verses rests in the word "servant." God said, "Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt." And in the sentence before this one He reminds them "that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou." In other words, their experience in Egypt as servants would remind them to deal justly with their servants by giving them Sabbath rest.

In similar vein God had commanded, "And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him ... for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt." Leviticus 19:33, 34.
It was not unusual for God to hark back to the Egyptian deliverance as an incentive to obey other commandments. In Deuteronomy 24:17, 18, God said, "Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge. ... Thou wast a bondman in Egypt, and the Lord thy God redeemed thee thence: therefore I command thee to do this thing."

Neither the command to be just nor to keep the Sabbath was given to memorialize the Exodus, but God told them that His goodness in bringing them out of captivity constituted a strong additional reason for their dealing kindly with their servants on the Sabbath and treating justly the strangers and widows.

In the same way, God spoke to them in Leviticus 11:45, "For I am the Lord that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt. ... ye shall therefore be holy." Surely no one would insist that holiness did not exist before the Exodus, or that it would be ever afterwards limited only to the Jews, to memorialize their deliverance.

http://www.sabbathtruth.com/sabbath_questions.asp

Last edited:

Netta1

PRT #2 http://www.sabbathtruth.com/sabbath_questions.asp

^ Top
(Has) The Calendar has been changed?

The calendar has not been changed so as to confuse the days of the week. We can be positive that our seventh day is the same day Jesus observed when He was here. Pope Gregory XIII did make a calendar change in 1582, but it did not interfere with the weekly cycle. Our present Gregorian calendar was named after him when he made that small change in 1582.

What did Pope Gregory do to the calendar? Before 1582 the Julian calendar had been in effect, instituted by Julius Ceasar about 46 B.C. and named after him. But the Julian calendar had calculated the length of the year as 365 1/4 days, and the year is actually eleven minutes less than 365 1/4 days. Those eleven minutes accumulated, and by 1582 the numbering of the calendar was ten days out of harmony with the solar system. Gregory simply dropped those ten days out of the numbering of the calendar. It was Thursday, October 4, 1582, and the next day, Friday, should have been October 5. But Gregory made it October 15 instead, dropping exactly ten days to bring the calendar back into harmony with the heavenly bodies.

Were the days of the week confused? No. Friday still followed Thursday, and Saturday still followed Friday. The same seventh day remained, and the weekly cycle was not disturbed in the least. When we keep the seventh day on Saturday, we are observing the same day Jesus kept, and He did it every week according to Luke 4:16.

^ Top
We Can't Locate the True Seventh Day
This is a fallacy that has comforted many in their disobedience of the fourth commandment. It just is not true. Here are four positive proofs which identify the true Sabbath today:

1. According to the Scriptures, Christ died on Friday and rose on Sunday, the first day of the week. Practically all churches acknowledge this fact by observing Easter Sunday and Good Friday. Here is the Bible evidence: "This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid. And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on." Luke 23:52-54.

Here is proof that Jesus died the day before the Sabbath. It was called "the preparation day" because it was the time to get ready for the Sabbath. Let us read the next verses: "And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid. And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment." Verses 55, 56.

Please notice that the women rested over the Sabbath "according to the commandment." The commandment says, "The seventh day is the Sabbath," so we know they were observing Saturday. But the very next verse says, "Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared. ... And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre." Luke 24:1, 2.

How clearly these three consecutive days are described for us. He died Friday, the preparation day, commonly called Good Friday. He rested in the tomb on the seventh day, Sabbath, "according to the commandment." That was Saturday. Then on Sunday, the first day of the week, Easter Sunday to many, Jesus arose from the grave.

Anyone who can locate Good Friday or Easter Sunday will have absolutely no difficulty finding the true Sabbath.

2. The calendar has not been changed so as to confuse the days of the week. We can be positive that our seventh day is the same day Jesus observed when He was here. Pope Gregory XIII did make a calendar change in 1582, but it did not interfere with the weekly cycle. Our present Gregorian calendar was named after him when he made that small change in 1582.
What did Pope Gregory do to the calendar? Before 1582 the Julian calendar had been in effect, instituted by Julius Ceasar about 46 B.C. and named after him. But the Julian calendar had calculated the length of the year as 365 1/4 days, and the year is actually eleven minutes less than 365 1/4 days. Those eleven minutes accumulated, and by 1582 the numbering of the calendar was ten days out of harmony with the solar system. Gregory simply dropped those ten days out of the numbering of the calendar. It was Thursday, October 4, 1582, and the next day, Friday, should have been October 5. But Gregory made it October 15 instead, dropping exactly ten days to bring the calendar back into harmony with the heavenly bodies.

Last edited:

Netta1

PRT 3

Were the days of the week confused? No. Friday still followed Thursday, and Saturday still followed Friday. The same seventh day remained, and the weekly cycle was not disturbed in the least. When we keep the seventh day on Saturday, we are observing the same day Jesus kept, and He did it every week according to Luke 4:16.

3. The third evidence for the true Sabbath is the most conclusive of all. The Jewish people have been observing the seventh day from the time of Abraham, and they still keep it today. Here is a whole nation - millions of individuals - who have been counting off time meticulously, week after week, calendar or no calendar, for thousands of years. Could they have lost track? Impossible. The only way they could have lost a day would have been for the entire nation to have slept over an extra 24 hours and for no one ever to tell them about it afterwards.
There has been no change or loss of the Sabbath since God made it in Genesis. The origin of the week is found in the creation story. There is no scientific or astronomical reason for measuring time in cycles of seven days. It is an arbitrary arrangement of God and has been miraculously preserved for one reason - because the holy Sabbath day points to the creative power of the only true God. It is a sign of His sovereignty over the world and over human life; a sign of creation and redemption.

Is this not the reason God will preserve Sabbathkeeping throughout eternity? We read in Isaiah 66:22, 23: "For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord."

The Sabbath is so precious to God that He will have His people observe it throughout all time to come in the beautiful new earth. If it is so precious to Him, should it not be precious to us? If we are going to keep it then, should we not keep it now?
In an age of false gods, of atheistic evolution, and traditions of men, the world needs the Sabbath more than ever as a test of our loyalty to the great Creator-God and a sign of our sanctification through His power.

4. Proof number four lies in the fact that over one hundred languages of the earth use the word "Sabbath" for Saturday. For example, the Spanish word for Saturday is "S‡bado," meaning Sabbath. What does this prove? It proves that when those hundred languages originated in the long, long ago, Saturday was recognized as the Sabbath day and was incorporated into the very name of the day.

^ Top
Shouldn't We Just Keep Any Day in the Seven?
By this argument Satan prepared the world to accept a substitute in place of the Sabbath God had commanded. Upon the tables of stone God wrote the great, unchanging law of the ages. Every word was serious and meaningful. Not one line was ambiguous or mysterious. Sinners and Christians, educated and uneducated, have no problem understanding the simple, clear words of the Ten Commandments. God meant what He said and He said what He meant. No one has tried to void that law as too complicated to comprehend.

Most of the ten begin with the same words: "Thou shalt not," but right in the heart of the law we find the fourth commandment which is introduced with the word, "Remember." Why is this one different? Because God was commanding them to call something to memory which already existed but had been forgotten. Genesis describes the origin of the Sabbath in these words, "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made. ... And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." Genesis 2:1-3.

Which day did God bless and sanctify? The seventh day. How was it to be kept holy? By resting. Could any of the other six be kept holy? No. Why? Because God commanded not to rest those days but to work. Does God's blessing make a difference? Of course. This is why parents pray for God to bless their children. They believe it makes a difference. The seventh day is different from all the other six days, because it has God's blessing.

Some more questions: Why did God bless the day? Because He had created the world in six days. It was the birthday of the world, a memorial of a mighty act. Can the Sabbath memorial be changed? Never. Because it points backward to an accomplished fact. July 4 is Independence Day. Can it be changed? No. Because the Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776. Your birthday cannot be changed, either. It is a memorial of your birth, which happened on a set day. History would have to run through again to change your birthday, to change Independence Day, or to change the Sabbath day. We can call another day Independence Day, and we can call another day the Sabbath, but that does not make it so.

Did God ever give man the privilege of choosing his own day of rest? He did not. In fact, God confirmed in the Bible that the Sabbath was settled and sealed by His own divine selection and should not be tampered with. Read Exodus 16 concerning the giving of manna. For 40 years God worked three miracles every week to show Israel which day was holy. (1) No manna fell on the seventh day. (2) They could not keep it overnight without spoilage, but (3) when they kept it over the Sabbath, it remained sweet and fresh.

Netta1

PRT 4
But we must not overlook the fact that this God who created the world and made the Sabbath was Jesus Christ Himself. John wrote: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. ... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father), full of grace and truth." John 1:1-3, 14.

Paul clearly identified Jesus as the Creator, "... his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood. ... For by him were all things created." Colossians 1:13-16.
For Christians to separate Jesus from the Sabbath is a tragic mistake. For He is the Author, the Maker, the Sanctifier, and the Architect of the Sabbath. To discount the blessing which He placed on that day is to deny His authority.

This argument has led many to believe that the Sabbath existed only for a limited period of time following creation. But is this a fact? Actually, the Sabbath could never be just a type or shadow of anything, for the simple reason that it was made before sin entered the human family. Certain shadows and typical observances were instituted as a result of sin and pointed forward to the deliverance from sin. Such were the sacrifices employed to symbolize the death of Jesus, the Lamb of God. There would have been no animal sacrifices had there been no sin. These offerings were abolished when Christ died on the cross, because the types had met their fulfillment (Matthew 27:51). But no shadow existed before sin entered this world; therefore, the Sabbath could not be included in the ceremonial law of types and shadows.

Paul referred to the temporary system of ordinances in Colossians 2:14-16 as being "against us" and "contrary to us." He tied it to the meat offerings, drink offerings, and yearly festivals of the law that was "blotted out." It is true he referred to sabbaths also in the text, but take careful note that he called them "sabbath days which are a shadow of things to come." Were some sabbath days blotted out at the cross? Yes, there were at least four yearly sabbaths which came on certain set days of the month, and they were nailed to the cross. They were shadows and required specified meat and drink offerings. All of these annual sabbaths are described in Leviticus 23:24-36, and then summarized in verses 37 and 38: "These are the feasts of the Lord, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, to offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord, a burnt offering, and a meat offering, a sacrifice, and drink offerings, every thing upon his day: beside the sabbaths of the Lord."

The Scripture plainly differentiates between the annual, shadowy sabbaths and the weekly "sabbaths of the Lord." The ceremonial sabbaths were blotted out at the cross; they had been added as a consequence of sin. But the Sabbath of the Ten-Commandment law had been hallowed before sin was introduced and was later incorporated into the great moral law written by the finger of God. It was eternal in its very nature.

^ Top
Isn't There a "New" Law of Christ?
Some try to dispose of the Ten Commandments on the basis of the "new" commandments of love which Christ introduced. It is certainly true that Jesus laid down two great laws of love as a summary of all the law, but did He give the idea that these were new in point of time? The fact is that He was quoting directly from the Old Testament when He gave those new commandments. "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." Deuteronomy 6:5. "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Leviticus 19:18. Certainly, those penetrating spiritual principles had been forgotten by the legalists of Christ's day, and they were new to them in relation to their life and practice. But they were not intended by Jesus to take the place of the Ten Commandments.

When the lawyer asked Jesus which was the greatest commandment in the law, he received the answer: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:37-40.

Notice that these two love commandments simply summed up "all the law and the prophets." They all hang upon these two principles of love. Christ was saying that love is the fulfilling of the law just as Paul repeated it later in Romans 13:10. If one loves Christ supremely with heart, soul, and mind, he will obey the first four commandments that have to do with our duty to God. He will not take God's name in vain, worship other gods, etc. If one loves his neighbor as himself, he will obey the last six commandments which relate to our duty to our fellow men. He will not be able to steal from his neighbor, lie about him, etc. Love will lead to obeying or fulfilling all the law.

^ Top

Netta1

PRT 5
Not Under the Law?
Often we hear this argument in an effort to belittle the law of God: "Well, since we are not under the law but under grace, we do not need to keep the Ten Commandments any longer." Is this a valid point? The Bible certainly does say that we are not under the law, but does that imply that we are free from the obligation to obey it? The text is found in Romans 6:14, 15. "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid."

How easily we could prevent confusion if we accepted exactly what the Bible says. Paul gives his own explanation of his statement. After stating that we are not under the law but under grace, he asks, "What then?" This simply means, "How are we to understand this?" Then notice his answer. In anticipation that some will construe his words to mean that you can break the law because you are under grace, he says, "Shall we sin (break the law) because we are not under the law but under grace? God forbid." In the strongest possible language Paul states that being under grace does not give a license to break the law. Yet this is exactly what millions believe today, and they totally ignore Paul's specific warning.

If being under grace does not exempt us from keeping the law, then what does Paul mean by saying that Christians are not under the law? He gives that answer in Romans 3:19. "Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God." Here Paul equates being under the law with "being guilty before God." In other words, those who are under the law are guilty of breaking it and are under the condemnation of it. This is why Christians are not under it. They are not breaking it - not guilty and condemned by it. Therefore, they are not under it, but are under the power of grace instead. Later in his argument, Paul points out that the power of grace is greater than the power of sin. This is why he states so emphatically, "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace." Grace overrules the authority of sin, giving power to obey God's law. This is the effective reason that we are not under the law's guilt and condemnation and also why Paul states that we will not continue to sin.

Suppose a murderer has been sentenced to death in the electric chair. Waiting for the execution the man would truly be under the law in every sense of the word - under the guilt, under the condemnation, under the sentence of death, etc. Just before the execution date the governor reviews the condemned man's case and decides to pardon him. In the light of extenuating circumstances the governor exercises his prerogative and sends a full pardon to the prisoner. Now he is no longer under the law but under grace. The law no longer condemns him. He is considered totally justified as far as the charges of the law are concerned. He is free to walk out of the prison and not a policeman can lay hands upon him. But now that he is under grace and no longer under the law, can we say that he is free to break the law? Indeed not! In fact, that pardoned man will be doubly obligated to obey the law because he has found grace from the governor. In gratitude and love he will be very careful to honor the law of that state which granted him grace. Is that what the Bible says about pardoned sinners? "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." Romans 3:31. Here is the most explicit answer to the entire problem. Paul asks if the law is nullified for us just because we have had faith in Christ's saving grace. His answer is that the law is established and reenforced in the life of a grace-saved Christian.

Last edited:

Netta1

PRT 6

The truth of this is so simple and obvious that it should require no repetition, but the devious reasoning of those who try to avoid obedience makes it necessary to press this point a bit further. Have you ever been stopped by a policeman for exceeding the speed limit? It is an embarrassing experience, especially if you know you are guilty. But suppose you really were hurrying to meet a valid emergency, and you pour out your convincing explanation to the policeman as he writes your ticket. Slowly he folds the ticket and tears it up. Then he says, "All right, I'm going to pardon you this time, but ..." Now what do you think he means by that word "but"? Surely he means, "but I don't want to ever catch you speeding again." Does this pardon (grace) open the way for you to disobey the law? On the contrary, it adds compelling urgency to your decision not to disobey the law again. Why, then, should any true Christian try to rationalize his way out of obeying the law of God? "If ye love me," Jesus said, "keep my commandments." John 14:15.

^ Top
Is It Possible To Obey the Law?
Countless Christians have been taught that since the law is spiritual and we are carnal, no human being will ever be able in this life to meet the requirements of the perfect law. Is this true? Has it been given by God as a great idealistic, impossible goal toward which converted souls should struggle but never expect to attain? Is there some hidden reservation or secret meaning in the many commands to obey the ten great rules God wrote on stone? Did God mean what He said and say what He meant?

Many believe that only Christ could have obeyed that law and only because He had special powers that have not been made available to us. Certainly it is true that Jesus is the only One who lived without committing a single act of disobedience. His reason for living that perfect, victorious life is laid out in Romans 8:3, 4. "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh, That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit."

Do not miss the point that Jesus came to condemn sin by His perfect life in the flesh in order that "the righteousness of the law" might be fulfilled in us. What is that righteousness? The Greek word "dikaima" is used here which means, literally, "the just requirement" of the law. This can only mean that Christ won His perfect victory in order to make the same victory available to us. Having conquered the devil, showing that in the flesh the law can be obeyed, Christ now offers to come into our hearts and share the victory with us. Only by His strength and indwelling power can the requirements of the law be fulfilled by anyone. Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13.

Not one soul can ever keep one of those Ten Commandments in human power alone, but all of them may be kept through the enabling strength of Jesus. He imputes His righteousness for cleansing and imparts His righteousness for victorious living. Christ came in a body of flesh like our own and depended wholly upon His Father in living His life to demonstrate the kind of victory which is possible for every soul who will likewise draw upon the Father's grace.
^ Top
Is Obedience Legalism? - The Test of Love
Someone may bring up the objection that after the law has accomplished its purpose of pointing the sinner to Christ for cleansing, it will no longer be needed in the experience of the believer. Is that true? No, indeed. The Christian will always need the watchdog of the law to reveal any deviation from the true path and to point him back to the cleansing cross of Jesus. There will never be a time when that mirror of correction will not be needed in the progressive growth experience of the Christian.

Law and grace do not work in competition with each other but in perfect cooperation. The law points out sin, and grace saves from sin. The law is the will of God, and grace is the power to do the will of God. We do not obey the law in order to be saved but because we are saved. A beautiful text which combines the two in their true relationship is Revelation 14:12. "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." What a perfect description of faith and works! And the combination is found in those who are "saints."
The works of obedience are the real test of love. This is why they are so necessary in the experience of a true believer. "Faith without works is dead." James 2:20. No man ever won a fair maiden's heart by words alone. Had there been no flowers, no acts of devotion, no gifts of love, most men would still be searching for a companion. Jesus said, "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matthew 7:21.

Netta1

PRT 7 FINAL ALL TAKEN FROM

http://www.sabbathtruth.com/sabbath_questions.asp

Words and profession are not enough. The true evidence is obedience. Today's bumper stickers reflect a shallow concept of love. They say, "Smile if you love Jesus," "Honk if you love Jesus"; but what did the Master Himself say? He said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15. And that is exactly what most people don't want to do. If love makes no demands beyond a smile or wave, then it is welcome; but if the lifestyle must be disturbed, the majority will reject it. Unfortunately, most people today are not looking for truth. They are looking for a smooth, easy, comfortable religion which will allow them to live the way they please and still give assurance of salvation. There is indeed no true religion which can do that for them.

One of the strongest texts in the Bible on this subject is found in 1 John 2:4. "He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." John could write that with such assurance because it is one of the most deeply established truths in the Bible. Jesus spoke of those who said, "Lord, Lord," but did not do the will of the Father. Then He described many who would seek entrance to the kingdom claiming to be workers of miracles in the name of Christ. But He would sorrowfully have to say, "I never knew you: depart from me." Matthew 7:21-23. You see, to know Christ is to love Him, and to love Him is to obey Him. The valid assumption of the Bible writers is very clear and simple: If one is not obeying Christ, he does not love Christ. And if he doesn't love the Master, then he doesn't know Him. John assured us, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3. Thus, we can see how knowing and loving and obeying are all tied closely together and are absolutely inseparable in the life of God's faithful people. The beloved John summed it up in these words: "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:3.

^ Top
No Sunday-keeping in Corinth
In 1 Corinthians 16:1, 2 Paul wrote: "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come ... whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem."

Please carefully notice what the apostle said, and also, what he did not say. Many have assumed that a religious meeting was held and a collection plate passed. This is not the case. Paul was writing special appeals to the churches in Asia Minor, because many of the Christians in Jerusalem were suffering greatly for lack of food and daily necessities. Paul asked the church at Corinth to gather food, clothing, etc., and store it up at home until he could send men to transport it to Jerusalem. The expression "lay by him in store" in the original Greek gives the clear connotation of putting aside at home. Even Sunday advocates agree to this.
There was no service held on the first day of the week. The gathering up and storing was to be done on that day. Why did Paul suggest that this work be done on Sunday, and what was involved in getting it done?

First of all, the letter would have been shared with the church on the Sabbath when they were all gathered for worship. The first opportunity to do the work would be the next day - the first day of the week. Keep in mind that there was an apparent food shortage in Jerusalem, and the need was not primarily for money. Such famine conditions were not unusual in areas of the Middle East, as Luke reminds us in Acts 11:28-30.

The church in Rome gives a clue as to the special needs of those suffering Christians "But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints. For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem. It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things. When therefore I have performed this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain." Romans 15:25-28.

Here the apostle touches a tender spot in his eloquent appeal. The Roman Christians owed a great debt of gratitude to the mother church in Jerusalem which had sent teachers to evangelize them. Paul urges them to return carnal, or material, gifts in appreciation of the spiritual truths received from them. What kind of gifts did Paul have in mind? It is very interesting that he describes it as sealing to them "this fruit." The Greek word used here is "karpos," which is the universal term used for literal fruit. It can also have the connotation of "fruits of one's labor."

This throws light on Paul's counsel to the Corinthian Christians to do their work on the first day of the week, "so that there be no gatherings when I come." Such work as gathering and storing up produce from garden and field would certainly not be appropriate on Sabbath. In these verses, Sunday is identified once again as a day for secular activities and gives no indication of religious observance.

La Colocha

Thank you shimmie and thank you netta

@ Netta, this site is where i read the information that i learned on the sabbath. This is where my confusion started because i want to start keeping sabbath.

@Shimmie, What i am confused about is if we are to keep the commandments , Shouldn't the sabbath(saturday) remain holy. And why do people keep sunday holy? Is it because the old and new testament? Everyone that i know in my life holds sunday as a holy day and not saturday. How do you know what is right? Did the laws change with the new testament?

Shimmie

Staff member
Thank you shimmie and thank you netta

@ Netta, this site is where i read the information that i learned on the sabbath. This is where my confusion started because i want to start keeping sabbath.

@Shimmie, What i am confused about is if we are to keep the commandments , Shouldn't the sabbath(saturday) remain holy. And why do people keep sunday holy? Is it because the old and new testament? Everyone that i know in my life holds sunday as a holy day and not saturday. How do you know what is right? Did the laws change with the new testament?

Hi Angel...

I'm sorry for not answering right away. I saw your questions and it is okay to still have questions about this. I have questions myself. I will share with you what I have learned in my studies.

Here are some scriptures that I hope will bless you. I apologize for not going a little deeper into this for you. Let's see if I can explain this a little better.

The first day of the week, namely Sunday, became known as the Day of Resurrection, (or the day when the Resurrection of Jesus was first discovered by Mary and his followers).

Here in the Bible (New Testament ) are the Scriptures that show Sunday as a day of worship by the follwers of Jesus Christ.

Now, don't forget our Key words: "First Day of the Week" :yep: :love2:

Acts 20:7

7- And upon the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2

1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2 Upon the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him,

I hope this really blesses you. Remember when John wrote the book of Revelation? Guess what? It was the First Day of the Week and it was called , The Lord's Day.

Revelation 1:9-10

9- I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

10- I was in the Spirit on THE LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

So, according to these scriptures and events of the Bible, the first day of the week may properly be called the Christian Sabbath.

But let's acknowledge this above all else...

We should be worshipping God every day. One day is never enough to thank God enough for all that He has done for us. A million days and we still can never give unto Him enough thanks.

Blessings Angel... :Rose:

Netta1

Thank you shimmie and thank you netta?

You are welcome!

The information I posted is very detailed and may help you, but you have to read it. The site has a lot of info about the sabbath and scriptures to back it up. When you find some time take the time to review prt 1 through 7, GODs answer is found in his word. The sabbath is not on SUNDAY, the sabbath is on SATURDAY. The sabbath day was not changed. If you want to follow the Sabbath then go for it and enjoy!

I also agree with Shimmie in that everyday is a great day to worship. The sabbath, however is extra special and it/was specifically blessed. Christians can enjoy the sabbath too. I have started doing this with DH. I try to focus on the spirit of the sabbath. I am not perfect in observing it-but I appreciate God carving out that time for me. GOD is smart and he knows what we need....

Last edited:

La Colocha

Thank you both again shimmie and netta. You both are a blessing in helping me decide what i should do. I want to start living the way i should and i want to do it right. May god bless and keep you both.

Netta1

Thank you both again shimmie and netta. You both are a blessing in helping me decide what i should do. I want to start living the way i should and i want to do it right. May god bless and keep you both.

No problem! May God bless you and your sabbath (if you should decide) to go for it.

:kiss:

Nice & Wavy

Thank you both again shimmie and netta. You both are a blessing in helping me decide what i should do.
I want to start living the way i should and i want to do it right
. May god bless and keep you both.
Trust GOD, sis...trust GOD! He loves you immensely and doesn't want you to be in confusion...that is NOT of Him!

The scripture that Shimmie gave you is evident of this:

Let no man therefore judge you ............ in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the SABBATH days: (Colossians 2:16 pph)

The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Mark 2: 27

We can see what Jesus meant by looking at the phrase: "and not man for the Sabbath." His point was that the Sabbath was made to serve people, instead of people being created to serve the Sabbath. The Sabbath was a servant, not a master. He was addressing the relative importance of the Sabbath, not which specific people were given the Sabbath.

The important thing in all of this is that YOU WORSHIP GOD! He will honor your heart, no matter what day it is!

Bless you, always!

LatterGlory

I am trying to simplify but there are 7 different Dispenstions througout the bible.

Keeping the Sabbath was given under the Dispesation of Law.

We are presently under the Dispensation of Grace which began with the death of Christ.

No flesh can keep the Law because if you break just one law you were guilty of breaking the whole Law, hence the need for high priests and sacrifices.

Jesus came and fulfilled the law with the sacrifice of His Life and His blood.

Mat 5:16-17
(16) Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
(17) Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

No human can keep the entire Law, it teaches/ shows us how just sinful we are and how much we needed Jesus to be a propitiation for our sins.

Mat 22:36-40
(36) Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
(37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
(38) This is the first and great commandment.
(39) And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
(40) On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Joh 1:17
(17) For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Rom 3:20-25
(20) Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
(21) But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
(22) Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
(23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
(24) Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
(25) Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Don't think that by keeping one part of the Law ( the Sabbath ) religiously you are more saved.

Salvation does not come through works only but by faith in Jesus and all works done must be done in conjunction with this faith.

Repent
Be baptized in Jesus Name
Be filled with the Holy Ghost
Live the life as becomes Saint before God ( walk circumspectly )

Act 2:36-39
(36) Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
(37) Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
(38) Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(39) For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

goldielocs

This is something my family wrestled with last year and we decided to keep the Sabbath as a family and continue to worship on Sunday at our church. We started about 4 months ago and worshiping as a family has made a huge difference. We also keep the OT holy days instead of Easter & Christmas.

Shimmie

Staff member
I am trying to simplify but there are 7 different Dispenstions througout the bible.

Keeping the Sabbath was given under the Dispesation of Law.

We are presently under the Dispensation of Grace which began with the death of Christ.

No flesh can keep the Law because if you break just one law you were guilty of breaking the whole Law, hence the need for high priests and sacrifices.

Jesus came and fulfilled the law with the sacrifice of His Life and His blood.

Mat 5:16-17
(16) Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
(17) Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

No human can keep the entire Law, it teaches/ shows us how just sinful we are and how much we needed Jesus to be a propitiation for our sins.

Mat 22:36-40
(36) Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
(37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
(38) This is the first and great commandment.
(39) And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
(40) On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Joh 1:17
(17) For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Rom 3:20-25
(20) Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
(21) But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
(22) Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
(23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
(24) Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
(25) Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Don't think that by keeping one part of the Law ( the Sabbath ) religiously you are more saved.

Salvation does not come through works only but by faith in Jesus and all works done must be done in conjunction with this faith.

Repent
Be baptized in Jesus Name
Be filled with the Holy Ghost
Live the life as becomes Saint before God ( walk circumspectly )

Act 2:36-39
(36) Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
(37) Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
(38) Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(39) For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

This really touched my heart and reminded me how truly blessed we are....

"We are presently under the Dispensation of Grace which began with the death of Christ."

Thank you for this 'reminder'... God's Grace which I so often take for granted. :Rose:

zenith

Thanx for bringing this up. I was doing some research and found that the sabbath is supposed to be saturday not sunday.

what made it sunday was when rome conquered greece, they assimilated the greek lifestyle of worship. greek were into believing man is god and into female goddess worship as well.

i also learnt that easter and christmas are pagan worship so now i'm at a place where i have to off celebrating with the tree and trimmings and easter egg hunting.

JinaRicci

La Colocha- thank you for your post! Praise God! My prayer is that you continue to follow where the Holy Spirit leads you. I keep the Sabbath and it is a wonderful blessing! I wish that everyone could experience the joy of the Sabbath! God loves you no matter what day you worship on- absolutely. He does hold us responsible for what we know though- what we are convicted of. Many people don't believe it makes a difference what day you keep and it may be that they are just not convicted of that.

We should worship the Lord every day- yes- but the Sabbath is a special kind of worship. It's more than Bible study & prayer- the entire focus of the day is on God. Because we put everything else away on this day- all the things of this world that we're normally caught up with- we truly end up spending the day with Him. It is so special- my favorite day of the week!!

God is so specific about this day. He said "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy..." (Exodus 20: 8-11). It's not just a day or a Sabbath- whatever we choose. Everytime we keep the Sabbath, we remember Him as our Creator- we rest just as He did from all his work during Creation week. He is so particular throughout the Bible about what we do on this day, and how we should keep it- if He had changed the day then He would have provided those instructions as well in the Bible. What I love about the Bible is how it does not contradict itself- so many authors, so many different books but all came from God who is the same yesterday, today and forever. God's word is clear and doesn't change.

As Zenith said, the Sabbath was changed by the Romans. I had a history class one time- that had nothing to do with religion- and this was covered as we studied the Roman civilizations. The first Sunday law was decreed by Constantine in 321 AD. And it wasn't changed to reflect Christ's resurrection more than 300 years before.

This is a very sensitive topic for many I know on this forum and I respect everyone's beliefs. I am happy and willing to share my beliefs and discuss the Bible. I must say it hurts me to the core to hear people say it doesn't matter about the day or to make light of it. God has said that it's so important to Him. However, I won't argue this topic or anything else in the Bible. I believe in sharing what I know and removing myself from the equation-letting the Holy Spirit do His work.

I will pray for you that He continues to guide you because I do believe that God is leading you to keep the Sabbath. My prayer is that where He leads, you will follow.

Crown

It's up to someone to observe a day or not. But with Jesus-Christ, it's every day, all time. The Bible explains it :

Romans 14 : 5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.
12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Hebrews 3 : 13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 3:14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end,…
4:4For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: “AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS”;…
4:7 He again fixes a certain day, “Today,” saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before,
“TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,
DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS.”
4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that. 4:9 So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. 4:10 For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.

Colossians 1 : 25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; 26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: 27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: 28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Galatians 2 : 20 I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Romans 5 : 1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Prudent1

This is something my family wrestled with last year and we decided to keep the Sabbath as a family and continue to worship on Sunday at our church. We started about 4 months ago and worshiping as a family has made a huge difference. We also keep the OT holy days instead of Easter & Christmas.

Goldielocs,
I have begun recently to study the holy days. :yep: I too believe they are important to God. Will you share some of your information about these holy days and the ways they are observed? Ladies, especially those with knowledge of Jewish culture please feel free to chime in. Maybe this should be another thread. :rolleyes:

BTW- great post La Colocha! I think your posts will help many people.

Last edited:

blazingthru

When is the sabbath? I have googled and i find that it is saturday, is that true? Yes And if it is why does everyone worship on sunday. This has me very confused and im trying to seek the truth. And the reason that i want to know is that it says to keep lords day holy, but which day is it? I have read on internet searches that the catholic church changed the day from saturday to sunday is this true. I have prayed on this and i am still confused. Some even say its only a jewish law. Any help would be appreciated, some scripture or a site something, because i must know.
La Colocha, please review the sabbathtruth, it answer so many questions and even the scripture provided in here (this thread) are there. However it will have a different meaning. It took me a month of research to finally accept that the sabbath is the day God has set aside and Blessed and made Holy. I had to step out on faith and I was scared, I even posted about it an here. the fact is this IF God changed it wouldn't he have established it. Really wouldn't he have done so. throughout the entire bible we read about the sabbath, to honor and worship it and then it changed and nothing was said about it. That is not the way God works, if we read a passage that contridicts what God has been trying to tell us to remember we need to go and do more research. God is unfailing. He is the same today and yesterday and tomorrow. He hides nothing from us, that would save us. he ask that we seek him with our whole heart and have faith and believe, I believe the website you went to is a great help it helped me make my decision as well.
Matthew 12:8
For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath." Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath.
Acts 13:44
On the next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord.
Acts 17:2
As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures,
Hebrews 4:1
[ A Sabbath-Rest for the People of God ] Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.
Hebrews 4:9
There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God;

goldielocs

I came across this website about 2 years ago when we were considering homeschooling our children. The resources on this site explains each of the holidays and draws the connections between the OT and the new. I purchased the book and the it has even more information than the website even though it takes about a week to get all the info from the site.

http://biblicalholidays.com/feasts.htm

If you want more info on the book, I can email a chapter or two to anyone who wants it. Just email me.

This isn't all the information I have, but the other info is from books. If you want the titles, let me know.

Take care.

La Colocha

I came across this website about 2 years ago when we were considering homeschooling our children. The resources on this site explains each of the holidays and draws the connections between the OT and the new. I purchased the book and the it has even more information than the website even though it takes about a week to get all the info from the site.

http://biblicalholidays.com/feasts.htm

If you want more info on the book, I can email a chapter or two to anyone who wants it. Just email me.

This isn't all the information I have, but the other info is from books. If you want the titles, let me know.

Take care.

Thank you, that is kind of you. Im going to the family christian book store tommorrow and i will pick up a few things.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Jesus kept the Sabbath Himself, since he rose on Sunday and not Saturday (which, according to the OT, begins on Friday at sundown).

The passages in which Jesus discussed the Sabbath with the Pharisees dealt with the numerous man-made traditions that distracted people from the truth and from His Father. Maybe we should ask ourselves if we are still being distracted by man-made traditions today.