Crochet hairstyles (tips and maintenance???)

AFashionSlave

Have any of you ladies ever worn a crochet hair style? Right now I'm wearing crochet dread locs & I love them.

-How long can I safely wear my crochet dreads? (I would like to wear them for 3 months, but I think that's too long)

-Does anybody have any hair care tips for crochet weave?

-What is the best way to take down a crochet hairstyle?

AFashionSlave

anyone? anyone?

I hear crickets chirping.

I guess I'm the only one who has ever worn a crochet weave.

Karonica

Re: Crochet hairstyles (tips and maintenance???)

I've had them twice (actually, I did my own a 3rd time, but took them out the 2nd day because the haircolor I picked looked dusty). Anyway,
to be honest, the two times I had them before, I just left them in my head for 3 weeks and did absolutely no washing.
I think I did grease it maybe, but I couldn't go past 3 weeks because of the itchies.

You should PM Faith, she's the crochet expert.

MelsWifey

Hair Fanatic

Hi am wearing crotchet’s, cornrows, and sew in's while growing my hair out and I have a few things that I do to maintain the style.

1. I moisturize them everyday with a water, glycerin, and oil mixture. I just move the hair to the side and expose each cornrow underneath and spray it down good.

2. Once a week I used a witch hazel/tee-tree oil mixture to cleanse my scalp.

3. I only kept mine in 5 weeks, but they could have easily stayed in for 8.

4. I take them down by simply unbraiding the braids underneath and the crochet hair just slipped out!!!

HTH
BTW,

I was kinda interested in trying the dread hair myself. Could you post some pics of how they look on you? If you already have, I didn't see them in your album.

TIA

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
melswifey said:
4. I take them down by simply unbraiding the braids underneath and the crochet hair just slipped out!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought of that. Great tip!

levette

To the crochet wearers, did you'll achieve a lot of new growth. Also, was it less damaging versus the regular braids in terms of taking out.

Divastate

AFS I noticed your braids in Red's album they look fantastic on you- talk about looking like a movie star! I used to wear crochet braids quite a bit I believe they usually lasted at least 2 months- I just made sure not to do anything putting major tension on my hairline or anything (no tight ponytails, etc.). I actually got a great deal of growth with them with virtually no damage to my hair but that was when I was relaxed so i haven't had them with natural hair yet so i don't have any real tips.

If I can find dreads like yours I just might try crotchet braids again. One time I also got them done with micro twists and they turned out really cute. What braiding pattern did they use for your cornrows -the circuluar weave pattern or horizontal? I've had it done both ways I believe the circular weave pattern held together longer though.

MizAvalon

I wore crochet braids for 2 years.(The long Brandy ones that were popular about 4, 5 years ago from "The Boy is Mine" video) I transistioned with these braids and they literally brought my hair back from the dead. The longest I ever kept them in at one time was about 9 weeks I think. I don't recommend that though,lol. Most of the time, I got them re-done every 2 or 3 weeks. I had absolutely NO damage and would highly recommend this method to anyone. When I went back to perming a couple of years ago, my hair was healthy as all get-out and I give 95% of the credit to those braids. Now I am past-bra strap and healthy. I have never been so happy with my hair.

OhmyKimB

bumping an old thread...does anyone know how to make these braids stay in if they are starting to slip out?

SugarPie

bumping....
im trying to get crochet braids this summer to help transition but im having trouble picking the kind of hair that would look best left hanging out. im going for a curly/kinky/jherri curl look but the hair ive seen looks so plastic! and i cant seem to find the jherri curl/natural looking kinky hair in any of the BBS ive been to (I live in NYC btw) do you ladies have pics of crochet braids installed with curly/kinky hair or do you have any suggestions on what hair i should get.

also do you guys know where i could buy the latch hook crochet tool ?

pringe

Ok I actually have my crochet braids in now and I'm probably gonna take it out sometime this week, this is my 3rd week.

I did them myself, just watching ppl on youtube and it took about 2 1/2 hrs. I bought my latch hook from Michaels (i live in NYC).

I actually wash my hair in the crochet braids and that's probably why they won't last as long as other ppl. I am taking a swim class and I have to wash my hair, i don't want the damage from the chlorine to sit on my hair. I wash 2ce a week because of swimming. I just use swimming shampoo and smooth it down each part in cornrows, then rinse condition and moisturize as usual. Its worked for me and I've lost no braids at all!

Will def do again!

it_comes_naturally

Ok I actually have my crochet braids in now and I'm probably gonna take it out sometime this week, this is my 3rd week.

I did them myself, just watching ppl on youtube and it took about 2 1/2 hrs. I bought my latch hook from Michaels (i live in NYC).

I actually wash my hair in the crochet braids and that's probably why they won't last as long as other ppl. I am taking a swim class and I have to wash my hair, i don't want the damage from the chlorine to sit on my hair. I wash 2ce a week because of swimming. I just use swimming shampoo and smooth it down each part in cornrows, then rinse condition and moisturize as usual. Its worked for me and I've lost no braids at all!

Will def do again!

What type of braid pattern did you use?