CURLMELEONS UNTIE!!! (Transitioning Thread)

luvn_life

Ok Ladies, this is the official thread for the Transitioning Buddy thread. **Please note: this is NOT to step on the toes of any of the other transitioning threads** It's just to be there for each other and help each other get through this tranisitioning phase to get back to our natural texture:yep: If you want to join you are very welcome.

As you can see we are called the CurlMeleons. As explained by CreoleSugarFace: When we're all finally 100% naturally textured again, our hair will be able to be sooo much more versatile. We can go from the curliest on the hairstyle spectrum to the straightest! We'll be hair chameleons lol! =D

We will check in about once every month to see how our progress is going and to note any changes (good or bad) that we have noticed. Also if we are having a problem we can get advice on this issue from someone who has been transitioning for a while or who has already experienced the problem.

To start just introduce yourself/ hair story:

Hair Type?

How many months/weeks/ days post are you?

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...)

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it?

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet?

What products are you are using?

luvn_life

Hair Type? I don't know...

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 18 weeks

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) I plan on doing the BKT to blend the textures for a while. Also, I plan on wearing weaves until the end of the year. Then I will do buns and braidouts. Also, I am taking vitamins, eating good and exercising to get the maximum growth.

I plan to BC August 7 of next year. But, you never know:spinning:

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? I kinda had alot of breakage when I didnt think I was gonna go natural I just figured I had to hurry up and relax my hair. But now I know that I need to take care of new growth really well and get it strong so my hair won't break at the demarcation line.

What products are you are using? Umm... I haven't found any yet. Since my hair is in a weave right now, I have tapped into my product junkiness... But its coming...:grin:

Last edited:

Kayanna1212

<3CurlMelons<3
Hair Type?2c and 3b varying in diffrent areas..

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 12 weeks post 2 1/2-3 months

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...)? Big Chopping maybe next year:nono: braid outs twist and rollersets

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? No

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? No

What products are you are using? ORS Olive Oil Shampoo,Condish,Mostirisurizer
Good Luck CurlMelons!!

dragongirlmk09

hair type- 4a

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? not even a month

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...)- i will be cutting up my hair as it grow down

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? -when my hair is at least shoulder length then i will do the BC.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet?- none yet as the new growth grows thats when the battle will begin LOL.

What products are you are using? i will be useing all natural items like shea butter, hairveda products, henna, and mostly braiding hair.

Chameleonchick

Hmmm Curlmeleons.....I love the name!

Hair Type? 4a/b

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 8 months 5 days

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) I have been doing 1 inch cuts about every three-six months I guess I did one in March, July and plan to do another one in October. I have been doing braids, twists, weaves etc. during this transition but kinky twists have been the best style for me during this transition.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? I originally planned to BC in December when I hit a year post, but I hope to wait until March.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? Not really setbacks I just need to venture out and do different styles to keep me busy.

What products are you are using? A lot of conditioners mostly VO5, Trader Joes NS, Kenra MC, Lekairs. I also use jojoba and castor oil along with my whipped shea butter.

Last edited:

brownbean96

I like, I like. I feel like I belong somewher (sigh). Being a newbie and transitioner, I sometimes feel a little invisible so thanks for this thread:) I will post pictures of some of my transition styles when I get home

Hair Type? 4a/4b

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 14 Months Post Relaxer. 2nd time going natural. First time I BC'd after about 4 months of transitioning. I enjoyed the short styles but this time around I am looking for lenght. I'm really proud of myself
What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) I plan to transition the entire way through - maybe about 2 yrs to 2 1/2 yrs. My lenght goal is BSL

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? No - No BC this time

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? Yes, recently I noticed that my ends were very crunchy and I had some breakage int he middle of my head. I only notices because I decided to wear my hair straight. Which I believe for me, I need to to do every so often to gauge the health of my hair. At least for me, when I'm wearing my hair in natural styles (braidout, twists, etc.) it's harder for me to assess the health of my ends. The crunchy parts are only at the back of my hair. I am super babying my hair right now by mosturizing every night/ever other night and sealing with Organic Cocunut Oil - my new find and my hair loves it! I've been wearing it straight for a week but will do a braid out next week.

I plan on getting a sew-in within the next few weeks to get a good stretch of non-maniuplation and hopefully growth.

What products are you are using? Pre-co/wash with cholesteral deep condition cream - forget the brand. This has helped me tremendously. cut down on a lot of lost hair/shedding. co-wash with Eulence conditioners. Leave in - Cantu, Infusiom (sp), shea butter, EVOO. But will no start using cocunut oil - my hair loves it. Egg (protein) treatment once a week.

Last edited:

pri

Hair Type? 4a

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 19 weeks

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...)
I plan to transition until I reach at least bsl-mbl and then I'll start chopping to stay at that length and maintain. That is atleast the plan for now. I'm wearing buns mostly and braidouts..as winter starts I'll be rollersetting.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? No

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? Thankfully no!

What products are you using? Aveda,Shikakai,Ors,Salon Care,Qhemet and Miss Jessie's.

Last edited:

TheQueenBeeMaya

I'm not relaxed, but I'm transitioning from heat damaged natural hair back to 100% natural healthy hair. Do I count?? I'm currently 8 weeks "post" (Aka since I'm flat ironed my hair) I'm chronicling my progress on my blog mayaalysse.blogspr.com

MummysGirl

Yay, sounds fun :)

Hair Type? Don't know, I'm definitely NOT a 3. I have VERY coily new growth. So... 4-something

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 33.5 weeks (7 months 3weeks 1 day, to be exact :lachen:)

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? I want to BC @ 18 months post (79 weeks) but I've decided I can give in EARLIEST @ 15 months (65 weeks) post.

Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Braidouts, Twistouts and braids using my hair only (no extensions) See siggy pic :)

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? Answered above.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? Had problems during month 3 and can't even remember what they were - I think some breakage cos I tried something different. Since then, I've been doing much better than I expected. :yep:

Cowash cons: Aussie Moist, Suave Humectant and Herbal Essences cons.
Moisturiser: Spritz (Con, EVOO, Glycerin and water), Seal with Shea Mix (Unrefined Shea butter, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil and aloe vera gel)
DC: ORS Replenishing Con with oils
Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-In
Soap: Castille Soap (mixed with EVOO, Jojoba Oil and Water)
Others: Aphogee 2 min reconstructor

Last edited:

chocolatethai

Hair Type? 4b i think

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 3 weeks:grin:

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) no bc just yet , planning on trimimng gradually

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? not yet but i'm just starting

What products are you are using? right now some KBB some aphogee some chi

BlondeByDesire

Hair Type? 4a ?

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? see below 9 mths. +

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) For now cutting up as it grow down - but haven't done any cutting so far. Buns 99% and twist-outs and braid-outs

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? I gave myself between 12-18 months to BC - but that may change according to my length and how I'm progressing - if I can go longer I will

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? not really, detangling on occasion but nothing major - co-washing really helps

What products are you are using? HEHH, V05-strawberries & creme, Kenra Plaitnum No suflate poo for color treated hair, Kenra Plaitnum reconstructor for color treated hair, AOHSR (DC), EVCO, Shea Butter, Jojoba oil, EVOO, Rusk Smoother (leave-in) Con, Aphogee 2 min.

LovelyMe24

Hair Type? no idea. probably 4 something.

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 8 weeks.

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) I plan on being a long term transitioner and will start cutting up as my hair grows down when my natural hair gets to about shoulder length. I don't really want to go the extensions route, but I plan on continuing to use minimal heat. I plan on wearing updos on a daily basis, co washing often, and getting my hair pressed/flat ironed occasionally.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? Nope.

What products are you are using? Coconut oil, Castor oil, Vo5 conditioner, aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, and others depending on what I'm doing.

MummysGirl

Steps.
1. www.tickerfactory.com
2. Select Event
Count down or up to a special event.
3. Event Date: Date of your last relaxer
Event: 'Last Relaxer'
Next.
4. Select images you want for your ticker and it shows you a preview :)

When I went on I didn't know which kind to get so that I could put enough words and one that would actually countdown. If anyone could tell that would be great...

AllAboutMoi

Hair Type? TBD

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? I am 10 weeks post, 11 weeks on Thursday.

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) I plan to cut it as it grows. I will be wearing buns and braidouts until I cant anymore.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? Not yet.

Garlic oil
Herbal Essence LTR Leave In
Seyani Butter (I have an old one with Keratin)
Rusk Smoother
ACV Rinses
Coconut Oil
Jojoba Oil

Shampoo:
Aubrey Organics Shampoo

Conditoner:
Silicon Mix
Pantene R&N Intensive Moisturizing Conditioner and Breakage Defense Mask

Protein:
Aphogee 2 Min
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair

Last edited:

varaneka

Hair Type? 3a & 3b

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 2 years

What is your transitioning plan? Trimming up as my hair grows. I also use the dusting method to retain length and only target splits. Like TynaBeena, I take supplements and eat healthfully to feed my body as well as my hair & scalp: Aged garlic capsules, Flax seed oil capsules, royal jelly, omega 3 chews, Hair/Skin/Nails vitamins, Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin D/Vitamin K/Calcium chews.

Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Ponytail, bun, down, half-up half-down.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? No; my hair has actually doubled in length just about.

What products are you are using? Silicon Mix Pearl Extract shampoo, Pantene Nature Fusion Moisture Balance Conditioner, John Frieda Weather Works Conditioner, Nexxus Dualiste Color Protection + Intense Hydration, Herbal Essences (HE) Hydralicious Reconditioning Conditioner, Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor (protein deep conditioner), Brendita's Body Works' Phat Head High on Coconut Deep Conditioner (natural and organic).

As for DIY treatments, I use aloe vera juice, avocado, coconut milk, honey, beer, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, mouthwash, etc. to either moisturize my hair or combat dandruff. A healthy scalp means healthy roots and in turn translates into healthy strands!

Last edited:

soon2bsl

Hair Type? Not sure...thinking 3c/4a (from 4-8 months stretches I've done previously.)

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 7 weeks post

I plan to transition the entire way and/or until I reach atleast BSL/MBL, then maintain at that length and snip away the relaxed ends. Will do dusting as needed. Ultimate goal is WSL. My main styles are buns, and half-wigs, occasionally air-dried roller sets. Will do braid-outs, twist-outs, and bantu-knot outs the further I get into my transition.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? No BC date

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? No, I'm only 7 weeks post and haven't encountered any problems at all. Hopefully it'll continue this way.

Shampoo: CON, VO5 Tea Therapy-1x a month to clarify

Conditioners:
Pantene Pro V Relaxed and Natural Intense Moisturising Cond. (deep cond)
ORS paks/ORS Deep Penetrating Cond. (deep cond.)
VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream (co-washes)

Aphogee 2 min.- (use weekly or bi-weekly)

Daily Moisturizer: NTM

Oils: Castor oil for edges, EVCO for sealing, EVOO added to cond.

Last edited:

luvn_life

Hair Type? 3a & 3b

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 2 years

What is your transitioning plan? Trimming up as my hair grows. I also use the dusting method to retain length and only target splits. Like TynaBeena, I take supplements and eat healthfully to feed my body as well as my hair & scalp: Aged garlic capsules, Flax seed oil capsules, royal jelly, omega 3 chews, Hair/Skin/Nails vitamins, Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin D/Vitamin K/Calcium chews.

Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Ponytail, bun, down, half-up half-down.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? No; my hair has actually doubled in length just about.

What products are you are using? Silicon Mix Pearl Extract shampoo, Pantene Nature Fusion Moisture Balance Conditioner, John Frieda Weather Works Conditioner, Nexxus Dualiste Color Protection + Intense Hydration, Herbal Essences (HE) Hydralicious Reconditioning Conditioner, Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor (protein deep conditioner), Brendita's Body Works' Phat Head High on Coconut Deep Conditioner (natural and organic).

As for DIY treatments, I use aloe vera juice, avocado, coconut milk, honey, beer, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, mouthwash, etc. to either moisturize my hair or combat dandruff. A healthy scalp means healthy roots and in turn translates into healthy strands!

How much of your hair is relaxed vs. natural?? What is your length right now?

BotanyGrl

Hair Type? 4A Mostly... I think.

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? I'm a little over 10 months post.

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? I'm keeping it simple with twistouts, wigs, and buns. I do a search and destroy about every two weeks and a 1-2 inch trim whenever I straighten... which isn't often.

I'm aiming for two years minimum... if I can make it three years, I will be extremely happy!

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet?
No, not really... sometimes I get frustrated with detangling but nothing too serious. I did notice that I need to pay special attention to my crown area because it's a different texture than the rest of my hair and gets very dry.

My staples are coconut oil, shea butter, water, a spray bottle, Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo, and Elasta QP DPR.

Last edited:

varaneka

How much of your hair is relaxed vs. natural?? What is your length right now?

My length was waist length, but I just cut my hair a couple of days ago to give myself lots of layers and "mod bangs." It looks about mid-back now. About a third of my hair is natural and the rest still relaxed (approximate). It's hard for me to tell because my relaxers reverted even though I've overprocessed several times LOL.

Creole, what do you do with peroxide?

I mix it with baking soda into a paste and massage it into my scalp during the shower prior to shampooing/conditioning. I have bad dandruff that I wasn't sure how to treat until recently.

Nina_deF

Hair Type? 3c

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 8 months

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Ponytail. Going to braid when it gets cooler out..

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? sometime after June 2010

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? Mainly sick of my ponytail. Cocnut is making my ng very managable.

Co-wash= AO Mensstock ginseng/biotin hair repair
Con= AO White Camelia amd AO Honeysuckle Rose
Leave in= Unrefined coconut oil

Going to try castor oil and other AO conditioners

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Hair Type? I have no clue:lachen:

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 9 weeks

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Weave right now, then braidouts, twistsouts, buns etc. Not sure when I'll do the BC yet.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? Ummmm, not sure yet. Maybe next summer.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? not yet

KBB juicy shampoo bar
Nasabb unrefined shea butter
Extra virgin coconut oil
Hello hydration conditioner

girlyprincess23

Hair Type? 3c/4a

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? ~24 weeks

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) I am using BKT and braids/ weaves intermitently

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? I don't. I plan on trimming it all off, But if I get fed up and do BC it will be 5/2011

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? No. Don't think so. I will know when I take this weave out...which hopefully will be my last.

What products are you are using? BKT...haven't figured everything else out but I plan on keeping it simple and using 1 conditioner for cowashes, dc, and moisturizing and natural oils for sealing and scalp massages.

Last edited:

MummysGirl

Your siggy pic!!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:I love it!
I got my last relaxer 8 days after you! I 'd like to BC June 2010 or later!
How long's your hair?

Hair Type? 3c

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 8 months

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Ponytail. Going to braid when it gets cooler out..

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? sometime after June 2010

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet?Mainly sick of my ponytail. Cocnut is making my ng very managable.

Co-wash= AO Mensstock ginseng/biotin hair repair
Con= AO White Camelia amd AO Honeysuckle Rose
Leave in= Unrefined coconut oil

Going to try castor oil and other AO conditioners

luvn_life

Hair Type? 3c/41

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? ~24 weeks

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) I am using BKT and braids/ weaves intermitently

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? I don't I plan on trimming it all off, But if I get fed up and do BC it will be 5/2011

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? No. Don't think so. I will know when I take this weave out...which hopefully will be my last.

What products are you are using? BKT...haven't figured everything else out but I plan on keeping it simple and using 1 conditioner for cowashes, dc, and moisturizing and natural oils for sealing and scalp massages.

Hey I wanna use the BKT method too... How is it working for you??