2018 Curlyproverbz-inspired Regimen Challenge

Aggie

Hi ladies, I have a question. I touch up my gray hairs with demi permanent hair color. I read somewhere that it's not wise to do a henna treatment on hair that's already been colored with demi permanent hair color. Do you guys think it will be wise to use henna oil instead of henna paste? TIA

I use demi permanent color on my hair once a month to every 6 weeks @gawcjw. I also use a full henna treatment on my hair once a month but a henna gloss on weeks when I'm not doing either of the above. My hair is doing fine.

I believe you are referring to commercial henna and not body art quality (BAQ) henna. BAQ henna is safe to use even the day of a relaxer because it is all natural and safe to use on any hair, natural or relaxed.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Hi ladies, I have a question. I touch up my gray hairs with demi permanent hair color. I read somewhere that it's not wise to do a henna treatment on hair that's already been colored with demi permanent hair color. Do you guys think it will be wise to use henna oil instead of henna paste? TIA

I use permanent color AND henna / cassia. Just don't use the henna a week before/after color. No real problems but don't let your henna sit for dye release, just mix and use. If you are concerned about it missing up your color, either add amla OR make a henna gloss.

fifigirl

Wow, nice. :yep:

I watched Curly Proverbs video on making the shampoo and literally made same ....hopefully i will be able to include the video in this post

I melted 100g of raw black soap, added some hot distilled water and mixed it all up and then the fun began.... added about 2 tablespoons of my ayurvedic tea spray (alma, bhringraj, fenugreek and rosemary), a tablespoon of my fenugreek oil (also contains bhrami), 2 tablespoons of my Curly Proverbs oil, glycerin, avocado oil and vitamin e oil......added rosemary and peppermint essential oils and then poured it into my bottle

ThatJerseyGirl

Thank you, @Aggie

I think I will just make a fenugreek tea since I am in a long term protective style (weave). I'm already using the growth oil, so I will make a moisturizing fenugreek tea spray. I have a big bag of the powder, so the tea should be easy.

Not sure what else I will put in it.

douglala

I use demi permanent color on my hair once a month to every 6 weeks @gawcjw. I also use a full henna treatment on my hair once a month but a henna gloss on weeks when I'm not doing either of the above. My hair is doing fine.

I believe you are referring to commercial henna and not body art quality (BAQ) henna. BAQ henna is safe to use even the day of a relaxer because it is all natural and safe to use on any hair, natural or relaxed.
What does the demi permanent color do for your hair? Can you see the color with the henna?

douglala

I use permanent color AND henna / cassia. Just don't use the henna a week before/after color. No real problems but don't let your henna sit for dye release, just mix and use. If you are concerned about it missing up your color, either add amla OR make a henna gloss.
Which permanent color do you get? I didn’t think colors would show with henna.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Which permanent color do you get? I didn’t think colors would show with henna.

I use Matrix (professional brand) because I lightened my hair. Great stuff if you decide to go that route. It's cream based so gentle on my hair.

But because my roots grow out quickly, last month I learned about henna's tendency to dye release & turn roots bright orange. My recommendation, especially if you care about your hair color, is to use more cassia than henna OR generously add amla to tone down henna.

Also, do this BEFORE your color, so IF you have an incident, the color will take over.

My hot roots faded in a couple of days & I didn't care about it because I could hide it since I worked in a hat or at home at that point.

I might have to rethink my approach now since I have a job requiring client interaction now.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I just made my fenugreek oil last night so not expecting anything but I applied it to my scalp before washing and after a couple minuyes, itch city. But it stopped right after. I might be able to pull it off; will see.

Added rose powder plus my usual herbs to my conditioner so will see how that plays out. My hair is a bit on the moisture side, so I’ll get a little bit of protein in tonight and this weekend.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My Jamila henna from Henna Sooq arrived a little after noon today. Yay!

I mixed 1.5 boxes (200 150 grams) with 2 cups of distilled water and 2 TBS of sugar (it was supposed to be 2 tsps).

I will let it sit for 12 hours. Then I'll wear it under saran wrap under heat for 2 hours, then an additional 2 hours away from heat before rinsing.

Also, I'm going to stop using amla powder in my recipes and just focus on brahmi, rose petal powder, hibiscus powder, and aloe Vera powder. This is because, according to Henna Sooq and other sources, amla retains/reinforces curl pattern.

Well, I'm on a mission to loosen my curl pattern, so no amla!

I hope my hair doesn't go red!

Last edited:

tapioca_pudding

Yesterday morning I co-washed and re-did my normal flat twists. I used my ayurveda tea/spray and sealed that in with my DIY oil.

Then last night I lightly re-wet sections with the tea/spray and used Mielle Organics twisting butter to do a braid and curl.

This was my result:

Hair is soft, shine is crazy. Really in love with this doggone spray :love:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

I mixed 1.5 boxes (200 grams) with 2 cups of distilled water and 2 TBS of sugar (it was supposed to be 2 tsps).

I will let it sit for 12 hours. Then I'll wear it under saran wrap under heat for 2 hours, then an additional 2 hours away from heat before rinsing.

Also, I'm going to stop using amla powder in my recipes and just focus on brahmi, rose petal powder, hibiscus powder, and aloe Vera powder. This is because, according to Henna Sooq and other sources, amla retains/reinforces curl pattern.

You could buy a box of indigo and keep it on deck for backup.
If you want to tone down henna color, put a few tablespoons in your mix.

Henna still loosened my texture even though I use amla powder. Not significantly but enough for me to notice and I'm assuming over time the loosening effect will increase. I wasn't looking for that but I don't mind it and it's not enough of a deterrent for me to stop using henna. I kinda like it. Detangling is a breeze!

tapioca_pudding

@tapioca_pudding Lawd that shine is blinding me. Bling!
:D Thanks!! In a cup of boiling water I added a satchel full of:

Henna
Amla
Brahmi
Aloe Vera Powder
Bhringraj Powder
Shot of AVJ

Just random amounts of each but more henna than anything. I let it steep overnight then removed the satchel. I'm not sure what's giving me the shine but I'll take it!!

tapioca_pudding

Now that the weather is colder and the air is drier...so is my scalp.
Increasing my scalp oiling from once a week to twice a week followed by a scalp massage.
This is happening to me too, plus I kind of think I'm having a dry scalp due to the pregnancy. I've never had a dry itchy scalp before until now. So I'm using my scalp oil pretty frequently each week, mainly to soothe the itch.

Aggie

I mixed 1.5 boxes (200 grams) with 2 cups of distilled water and 2 TBS of sugar (it was supposed to be 2 tsps).

In that case, I need to keep Amla in my recipes.
You could buy a box of indigo and keep it on deck for backup.
If you want to tone down henna color, put a few tablespoons in your mix.

Henna still loosened my texture even though I use amla powder. Not significantly but enough for me to notice and I'm assuming over time the loosening effect will increase. I wasn't looking for that but I don't mind it and it's not enough of a deterrent for me to stop using henna. I kinda like it. Detangling is a breeze!

This whole post right here...:yep: is me all over. Don't mind it at all. I love me some amla powder.

Last edited:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
17813FA5-0C54-449B-B27F-C4C4B1AEDD97.jpeg B73342F3-30E7-43F5-A8C6-22A114C69ED5.jpeg Longest sections are 22” & I’m currently at MBL (again! :blush:) I’m hoping to be back at WL in January or February. I suppose we'll see!
Did a henna treatment today and it was so easy, so smooth and clean and drama free, I couldn’t remember why I haven’t done one in a while. It was an old mix. Pretty basic looking. I think it was Gazab brand (me likey) with a lil bit of olive oil, hibiscus powder, and green tea.
Made a new mix for next time or the time after: Red Raj from Henna Sooq, matcha powder, rose powder, lemon powder, moringa powder, and hibiscus powder. No oils or anything else. Looked yummy!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
View attachment 416633 View attachment 416635 Longest sections are 22” & I’m currently at MBL (again! :blush:) I’m hoping to be back at WL in January or February. I suppose we'll see!
Did a henna treatment today and it was so easy, so smooth and clean and drama free, I couldn’t remember why I haven’t done one in a while. It was an old mix. Pretty basic looking. I think it was Gazab brand (me likey) with a lil bit of olive oil, hibiscus powder, and green tea.
Made a new mix for next time or the time after: Red Raj from Henna Sooq, matcha powder, rose powder, lemon powder, moringa powder, and hibiscus powder. No oils or anything else. Looked yummy!

:drool: Your hair!!!

I just finished detangling and am about to chelate so I can apply my henna mix.

I'm looking at it, and the mix looks so benign! Lol. Messy stuff. :lol: Maybe this mix won't be messy. :pray:

It's warm here, so I think I will ask hubby to rinse my henna out in the backyard with the water hose. :yep: