Dabur Amla oil users...help! (and a poll too!)

Which Dabur do you like best?

• Dabur Amla Gold

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Dabur Amla (the regular kind)

Votes: 96 70.6%
  • Just try a different Amla

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters

neenee280

On my way home last night, my mom calls me...

"Get that indian green stuff we been using. I want to do my hair tonight." :lachen:

so I stop at my local indian shop and see a totally different bottle of Amla oil. I take the bottle that I got before, the different bottle (both by Dabur...don't worry I am getting to my dilema) and Vatika oil. I ask an older indian lady, "Which one do you like the best?" She points to the different Dabur oil and shows me her waist length braid and gave me the thumbs up. That's all I needed. Said thanks and got the "different" Dabur Amla.

So I show it to my mom and we were like, "ooo cant wait to do hair" mode. I was explaining pre-poo to her but she passed on that. :lol: So i get the new amla, open it up and start oiling up my hair.

GOOD LAWD THAT STUFF WAS RANK!

I had such a bad headache. Ughhhh...and was sick to my stomach. I immediately washed my hair. So I compared the two Amla bottles. The one I have been using is Dabur Amla Gold and the one I bought was straight Dabur Amla oil. My mom thought it was rank too but she only used a little and she said the smell was gone by the morning.

So basically, what Dabur Amla oil do you like best?

deltagyrl

How in the world have you missed all those threads talking about Dabur Amla smelling like circus animals???:lachen:

dlewis

Never tried the Dubur Amla Gold. Dlewis yelling.........Letitia, do they have that at the Indian store in Memphis?!

I have use the reg amla and the amla lite. I love both.

preciousjewel76

I liked the (regular) Dabur Amla at first, but now the smell makes me nauseous, and it LINGERS! I added castor oil to mine to dilute it, and it still smells. I dripped some on a towel last time around, and even after washing the towel, I swear I could still smell it.:barf: I don't care how great it is, I just can't stomach the smell anymore. And I'm not one to be sensitive to smells.

That said, I'll try out the Amla Gold or Lite one of these days.

dlewis

delecie said:
I use the regular Dabur Amla oil pictured below. I actually like the scent. :grin:

My Dh likes the scent to. So does Indian men and women. When I have it in and I go to the store the Indian people will comment on how I smell.

Anancy

delecie said:
I use the regular Dabur Amla oil pictured below. I actually like the scent. :grin:

Yep, thats the one i've started using, and yes the smell is quite strong and it lingers for days (not in my hair but my scarf), but i love what it does for my hair.

I've only used it as a pre-poo im not sure if im brave enough to leave it in my hair during the day - it's not the most pleasant of smells, and here in London we get too close to each other on tubes and buses.

Lusa

I have seen the Amla Gold but haven't tried it because I still have the regular green stuff. That smell can sometimes be unsettling but I like the shine it gives my hair and after a while the smell can be quite pleasant. :lol:

neenee280

delta_gyrl said:
How in the world have you missed all those threads talking about Dabur Amla smelling like circus animals???:lachen:

:lachen: Girl you sound like my mom! She was like, "oh my, this has a dookey smell! Like Ringling Bros came into town."

The Amla gold has a white lady with red hair on the front. Hmmm...i thought that was strange.

And then! On this bottle, I was suppose to get free toothpaste and they did not give it to me. What was up with that?

tnorenberg

neenee280 said:
:lachen: Girl you sound like my mom! She was like, "oh my, this has a dookey smell! Like Ringling Bros came into town."

The Amla gold has a white lady with red hair on the front. Hmmm...i thought that was strange.

And then! On this bottle, I was suppose to get free toothpaste and they did not give it to me. What was up with that?

ROFLOL :lachen: :lachen: Your mom's a trip. I haven't heard that expression in a while. I have the same one as Dlewis and I think the smell is nice...not great, but ok. :lachen::lachen: Dookey :lachen::lachen:

MommaMayhann

neenee280 said:

Count your blessing on not having the toothpaste! Think about it.... Do you really want to brush your teeth with something that they would attach to dookey oil?!:lol:

LaNecia

delecie said:

This is all I've used. My husband hates it so when he's on deployment I whip it out. I'm going to have to make my own or use FNWL's version without the fragrance cause I've GOTTA HAVE MY AMLA OIL.

preciousjewel76

VWVixxen said:
This is all I've used. My husband hates it so when he's on deployment I whip it out. I'm going to have to make my own or use FNWL's version without the fragrance cause I've GOTTA HAVE MY AMLA OIL.

I'd love to try the FNWL version, but it's so flippin' expensive (esp. compared to the "regular" Dabur amla oil).

LaNecia

Yeah I know but what I can do? I'm going to try making my own, I found a recipe for making it. Hopefully it will work. If so, I'm a happy camper otherwise...I'll just have to suck up the FNWL price. My hubby doesn't like Indian fragrances and I WILL have peace and AMLA OIL in my home! :grin:

Where there is a will, there IZ a way.

preciousjewel76

VWVixxen said:
Yeah I know but what I can do? I'm going to try making my own, I found a recipe for making it. Hopefully it will work. If so, I'm a happy camper otherwise...I'll just have to suck up the FNWL price. My hubby doesn't like Indian fragrances and I WILL have peace and AMLA OIL in my home! :grin:

Where there is a will, there IZ a way.

Hmmm, let us know how that recipe works! I could definitely get with a homemade version.:yep:

enscott14

You ladies are hilarious!! lol! lol! :lachen:

I actually like the Dabur Light Alma Oil. The smell is VERY hair and people friendly. I did the same thing by asking the Indian lady in the store and she actually told me that the light works just as good as the stinky stuff, and they were the same price. :)

LovelyLionessa

I just started using Amla Gold and I really like it. It smells really nice and it contains almond oil & henna too. I use the regular Amla oil on occasion but the smell isn't my cup of tea. I do like the color & conditioning it provides tho.

Shaley

Priestess said:
I just started using Amla Gold and I really like it. It smells really nice and it contains almond oil & henna too. I use the regular Amla oil on occasion but the smell isn't my cup of tea. I do like the color & conditioning it provides tho.

What are the ingredients in Amla Gold? Is this manufactered by Dabur also?

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
enscott14 said:
You ladies are hilarious!! lol! lol! :lachen:

I actually like the Dabur Light Alma Oil. The smell is VERY hair and people friendly. I did the same thing by asking the Indian lady in the store and she actually told me that the light works just as good as the stinky stuff, and they were the same price. :)

Yes it is. :yep:

I was afraid of the stinky stuff too, so I tried the lite oil. I'm so glad I did.

Brownie518

I started out using the Dabur but now I use the one pictured or the FNWL amla.

Emami Amla plus contains a special blend of herbal ingredients used traditionally for centuries for their remarkable nourishing and conditioning properties. Amla, Henna, Aloe Vera and Almond Oil each have a specific benefit, but through careful blending in Emami Amla Plus, unique hair oil is produced. Using only the finest ingredients, Emami Amla Plus nourishes naturally while at the same time promoting strong, lustrous hair that is resistant to splitting and is full of life, health and vitality.

THIS ONE DOESN'T SMELL AS STRONG AS DABUR, IMO (AND MY SO AGREES). THE BABY DIAPER SMELL IS VERY, VERY FAINT. I USUALLY DON'T SMELL IT.

Empress Yahudah

I mix the Regular Dabur Alma oil with Red Palm oil as a pre-poo and I LOVE IT!!!... I can never get past the smell to just wear The Dabur Alma oil on dry hair

BrooklynSouth

I like the scent of the Dabur amla. The Dabur lite has less of a scent but I like it also, has different hair effect...less oily. My fav Dabur scent is the Mahabhringraj..so 'cinnamonny' although I never see it included in their product page. I find it at my Indian grocer.

LovelyLionessa

Chardai said:
What are the ingredients in Amla Gold? Is this manufactered by Dabur also?

Mine doesn't contain a list of ingriedients, the label just says it contains amla, henna and sweet almond oil and it is made by Dabur. :)

neenee280

Y'all soooo have me cracking up!:lachen: Well after working out and cleaning today i had to wash my hair. I bought some VO5 honeydew and it made my hard HARD. I totally had to rewash again. I thought, "let me just hold my nose and use the dookey oil as a prepoo." I layered it up, held my breath and added some Suave Milk and coconut. Put on my silver condition cap. Let it sit for about 2 hours. I just rinsed my hair and braided it. It felt sooooooo much better! I think I will mix it with other oils to cut down the smell. The true test is tomorrow...going out with the SO and if it stinks, he will surely tell me.:perplexed

MuslimahTresses

Can ypu post a picture of the different Amla Oil that the indian lady reccomended?

neenee280 said:
On my way home last night, my mom calls me...

"Get that indian green stuff we been using. I want to do my hair tonight." :lachen:

so I stop at my local indian shop and see a totally different bottle of Amla oil. I take the bottle that I got before, the different bottle (both by Dabur...don't worry I am getting to my dilema) and Vatika oil. I ask an older indian lady, "Which one do you like the best?" She points to the different Dabur oil and shows me her waist length braid and gave me the thumbs up. That's all I needed. Said thanks and got the "different" Dabur Amla.

So I show it to my mom and we were like, "ooo cant wait to do hair" mode. I was explaining pre-poo to her but she passed on that. :lol: So i get the new amla, open it up and start oiling up my hair.

GOOD LAWD THAT STUFF WAS RANK!

I had such a bad headache. Ughhhh...and was sick to my stomach. I immediately washed my hair. So I compared the two Amla bottles. The one I have been using is Dabur Amla Gold and the one I bought was straight Dabur Amla oil. My mom thought it was rank too but she only used a little and she said the smell was gone by the morning.

So basically, what Dabur Amla oil do you like best?

neenee280

april shower said:
Can ypu post a picture of the different Amla Oil that the indian lady reccomended?

The different Amla oil was the straight up stinky one...Dubur. It was "different" to me because I was using Dubur Amla Gold, with the lady that has red hair.

I have to admit. After my prepoo and twist out, my hair is not that bad smelling. I think I will keep it as a prepoo, clothespin my nose for 20 mins and have silky smooth hair as the end result. :lachen: