Dabur Amla oil users...help! (and a poll too!)

Which Dabur do you like best?

• Dabur Amla Gold

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Dabur Amla (the regular kind)

Votes: 96 70.6%
  • Just try a different Amla

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters

Anna9764

On my way home last night, my mom calls me...

"Get that indian green stuff we been using. I want to do my hair tonight." :lachen:

so I stop at my local indian shop and see a totally different bottle of Amla oil. I take the bottle that I got before, the different bottle (both by Dabur...don't worry I am getting to my dilema) and Vatika oil. I ask an older indian lady, "Which one do you like the best?" She points to the different Dabur oil and shows me her waist length braid and gave me the thumbs up. That's all I needed. Said thanks and got the "different" Dabur Amla.

So I show it to my mom and we were like, "ooo cant wait to do hair" mode. I was explaining pre-poo to her but she passed on that. :lol: So i get the new amla, open it up and start oiling up my hair.

GOOD LAWD THAT STUFF WAS RANK!

I had such a bad headache. Ughhhh...and was sick to my stomach. I immediately washed my hair. So I compared the two Amla bottles. The one I have been using is Dabur Amla Gold and the one I bought was straight Dabur Amla oil. My mom thought it was rank too but she only used a little and she said the smell was gone by the morning.

So basically, what Dabur Amla oil do you like best?
There is a website that has Amla powder thats claims to benefit skin as well as hair health, check it out yourself. Search...Amla Powder Treatment Ayurvedic, when you get there click on Amla Powder. I order my Vatika oil from there.

Sincerly Anna

Platinum

I found an Indian store yesterday after I delivered a load in Massachusetts. Everyone in there looked a little surprised when I walked in, like:blush:. I grabbed a bottle of the regular and one of the gold, went to the counter and asked the lady "which one should I get". She told me to get the Amla Gold, that's what she uses. She then turns around so I can see her hair. It's hanging below her butt. I wanted to say "Hell, give me a case of that":lachen:. But I decided to buy 2 bottles of the gold and 1 bottle of Jasmine Oil. Since I'm wearing Kinky Twists, I think I'll use it as a daily scalp oil and/or add it to my MTG.

Does anyone have any more suggestions? I've never used this or any other Ayurvedic product before.

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I found an Indian store yesterday after I delivered a load in Massachusetts. Everyone in there looked a little surprised when I walked in, like:blush:.

LMAO I go to an Indian store in Quincy, Mass and the owner used to look at me like what the heck is she doing here? LOL :lachen: Now they know I will buy their stash of Amla, Shakakai, Henna and whatever else I can't pronounce.

Don't buy Amla Oil. Unless you like that smelly butt odor on your hair LOL
I buy Amla POWDER, it does not smell, doesn't have mineral oil like the amla oil does, and best of all it doesn't stink! I buy a small box for $1.99.

MA2010

Whoa!!!

i just ordered the regular Dabar Amla in the green bottle!!!!:look:

I am truly terrifed of what the smell is like? It's my first time and I can't stomach "bad smells ya'll"!:perplexed

Hmmmmm what to do.....what to do?????????:spinning:

Platinum

LMAO I go to an Indian store in Quincy, Mass and the owner used to look at me like what the heck is she doing here? LOL :lachen: Now they know I will buy their stash of Amla, Shakakai, Henna and whatever else I can't pronounce.

Don't buy Amla Oil. Unless you like that smelly butt odor on your hair LOL
I buy Amla POWDER, it does not smell, doesn't have mineral oil like the amla oil does, and best of all it doesn't stink! I buy a small box for $1.99.

I went to the one in N. Attleboro and they looked at me the same way:grin::yep:. It was a small store but they had good prices & a nice selection. I think they were suprised at the fact that I knew what I was looking for.:grin: I like the Amla Gold and Vatika oil. I've never tried the regular Amla oil.

Last edited:

cocoberry10

Wow, I've been using the regular Dabur Amla oil. I will have to try the Amla Gold (I hated the smell too).

Does the Dabur Amla Gold not have a smell?

Stella B.

The different Amla oil was the straight up stinky one...Dubur. It was "different" to me because I was using Dubur Amla Gold, with the lady that has red hair.

I have to admit. After my prepoo and twist out, my hair is not that bad smelling. I think I will keep it as a prepoo, clothespin my nose for 20 mins and have silky smooth hair as the end result. :lachen:

Yea, I know what you mean by use it and suck it up for 20 minutes. I have been using amla oil in my pre-poo for a while now. I usually mix with either coconut oil, or profectiv oil, to help cut back on the smell. It really doesn't cut it back all that much. I will continue to use it, because so far, I've gotten positive results from it. I think it strengthens my hair strands. Besides, the smell isn't so bad after you wash it out.

keykee

I can't believe i just found out about Dabur oils yesterday.
I was forced to get some fruits and veggies at the local indian grocery store and went to their beauty section and picked up the Vatika oil.. with olive and some other oils that I can't remember.. I like it so far.. it doesn't smell bad. Since the winter weather started my transitioning hair has become so dry and unmanagable.. sooo I hope this works.

Jewell

I see the "Gold" marketed, but I purchased the regular. I like it fine, and the smell is kind of appealing to me, in a fresh, herbal way. :look: I have the Dabur brand in the metallic green box and bottle. I have also been a faithful user of Dabur Vatika Oil for several years, which is coconut oil and other herbs. I apply it straight to my hair. I find the smell subsides in an hour or so once on the hair. I don't have any probs, it works well. I want to try the other Ayurvedic powders like Amla, Shikakai, Bhringrai (sp?), etc.

Last edited:

Hersheygurl

I love my stinky green Amla! What's weird is, my DH doesn't seem to mind the smell at all. He thinks it smells " floral". I only use it at night or as a pre-poo. Here's what I do:

I put my amla ( it looks green) in an applicator bottle so I can concentrate it where I need it and massage it through the hair. Then, I also add coconut oil and some Redken All Soft or Butter Treat, since they smell good (this helps to mask the smell some). Then, put on a plastic cap and scarf, to hold in the stink and go to bed or do chores around the house. Since using this as an added step to my normal cowash/rollerset routine, my results are always hair that is simply lush and yummy. My hair has never felt so strong, supple, or " cloud-like" ( goofy, I know). I just can't keep my hands out of it! The shine is incredible and as long as I am sure to use a very yummy-smelling poo or conditioner the smell doesn't linger in my hair.

Also, I have one of those hair-catching things in my shower, and since using Amla, there is like no hair in the thing! Maybe a few strands, but not like prior, when I would have a little ball of hair in the thing after washing. I wish I knew about this stinky stuff sooner. My hair loves it and is thriving with it. Okay, enough sounding like an infomercial. I'm gonna go put on my stanky stank oil now....

poookie

i use dabur amla gold. & i love it. my favorite part is the smell. its fresh & herbal. i put on some after taking down a roller set to make my hair smell pretty & to give it a nice shine. i don't use it so much anymore now that ive discovered lisa's hair elixir by carol's daughter, but as soon as i run out, its back to my beloved amla.

i do make sure to only use this oil on moisturized hair, as the base oil in it is mineral oil, & it can coat the hair shaft.