Dabur responded to my email!

ChoKitty

So I sent the following email to Dabur:

" I am writing to tell you how much I love your products. I'm African-American and its hard to find products that work well with my hair type. I find that a lot of the products here in the United States dry out my hair or don't live up to their claims. Your Amla Oil and Vatika Oil have really helped my hair. I am on a hair care message board for African-American women, and quite often your products are mentioned. We review products we like, and tell others about them. Its how a lot of us learned about your products. When your products are mentioned, they usually get very good reviews. These are links to two of the topics, one on Amla Oil and one on Vatika. Of course, you''''ll see mixed reviews, as with any product, but there are a lot of good ones. Also, some of the Amla users do use different brands, but most use yours.
Amla Oil Thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=129455&highlight=Amla+Oil
Vatika Oil Thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=111323
Because most of us are in the United States, we often have order your products from online sites. Some of us are lucky enough to have a local Indian Market. Because we order from sites, we tend to get products that are expired. We often wonder how much better your products were work if we could find products that arn''''t expired. Do you have any plans to offer your products in the Unites States in a major chain store, like Walmart or some place that most people have access to? Do you have any websites that you recognize as seller of your product and suggest we order from? Have you ever thought of advertising to people of the African persuasion? "

This is their response:

Danielle

thanks for your feedback, our products are typically available in ethnic indian stores. If you know of any stores catering to cosmetic needs of African-American women, pls let us know and we will start supplying them

Thx

Avinash

Raghunandan S [email protected]

So? Any ideas on what stores I should tell them? I'm thinking Sally's..walmart..

Bump. I knew I probably wouldn't get many responses since my posts always seem to cause dead ends, but I thought more than one person would be interested.

Bump. I knew I probably wouldn't get many responses since my posts always seem to cause dead ends, but I thought more than one person would be interested.

I think this an excellent post and a great idea. I love Dabur, I'm partial to the Amla oil and Amla Gold. Thank goodness I can get it locally, but I know what you mean about the expire dates. Very interesting the idea of the products going mainstream. Wal-Mart seems like a great place as they really cater to ethnic hair needs. :yep:

YamisGirl,
It's a good idea that you wrote the company. I know that every time I have purchased the oils from the indian stores, they have in fact been outdated, but still worked very well. Your letter has me thinking how much better they probably would work if they were purchased within date range.

I would love to see the oils in Sally's, however, I can only imagine the markup, so I guess I better run out and stock up on some outdated bottles from the indian stores I frequent!!!

Thanks again for writing your letter.

BB

I did think about the mark-up..but I was thinking about the people who didn't have indian markets, like me. Or had them but they didn't sell the products. They have to order on line, and shipping can get expensive. Hmm.

Little off topic

I still think it's funny that I had a bottle of amla oil in my closet for nearly 14 years. Took it back out when I heard people in the forum raving about it.

I really don't know which stores would want to carry that. Where I live, every grocery store, corner store, street stand , even bakery :)lachen:yes the bakery) carries Dabur products.

I would recommend Sally's simply because Walmart might be a big step for them considering they are used to supplying small, local markets. I think there's a higher probability that they'll actually be able to work successfully with Sally's than the Walmart giant... just my opinion, though.

I would recommend Sally's simply because Walmart might be a big step for them considering they are used to supplying small, local markets. I think there's a higher probability that they'll actually be able to work successfully with Sally's than the Walmart giant... just my opinion, though.

ITA! :yep: good idea, op! I live in a small city and it we don't have anything here, so I have to order damn nea everthing. It would be great to just go to Sally's and pick up some vatika oil!

Walmart has a horrible reputation w/some vendors, they make them drop their prices so low. I think that would be a challenge for them. I would suggest a Sally's or maybe even a drugstore like Walgreens/CVS because I can see people of all races buying the products. Since it is a pretty natural product Wholefoods or the Vitamin Shoppe might be another option.

So basically I need to go buy a bunch of Vatika and Amla before the inevitable price increase? :ohwell:

Yeah that was my first thought too. I appreciate the enthusiasm and support but sometimes mass marketed things chaneg too much from the original formula and price. On a positive note though, I am impressed that they are actually open to marketing more to all ethnic ranges.

So basically I need to go buy a bunch of Vatika and Amla before the inevitable price increase? :ohwell:

Basic economics of supply and demand may lower prices but...LHCF acknowledgement can make a vendor a little greedy. I hate to think of my so inexpensive Dabur products at the Indian grocer going up in price!!!!!!!!!!
The drive and gas usage to drive to Queens stores with a rapid product turnover is all the costs I want..that and some frozen, spicey samosas!!

Basic economics of supply and demand may lower prices but...LHCF acknowledgement can make a vendor a little greedy. I hate to think of my so inexpensive Dabur products at the Indian grocer going up in price!!!!!!!!!!
The drive and gas usage to drive to Queens stores with a rapid product turnover is all the costs I want..that and some frozen, spicey samosas!!

Next time you come to Queens I have a barely used bottle of Amla oil. I bought it two months ago and used it once. You could stop by for it (free of course).

Next time you come to Queens I have a barely used bottle of Amla oil. I bought it two months ago and used it once. You could stop by for it (free of course).

Thanks, Sweetcashew!! I'm set for a good while...four bottles in the closet!! You don't like it, maybe for pre-poos?

Thanks, Sweetcashew!! I'm set for a good while...four bottles in the closet!! You don't like it, maybe for pre-poos?

Wow that's a lot of bottles :grin:. I don't like the smell at all. My mom used to use it in my hair as a kid...but she would mix it with other stuff. I think it leaves my hair too heavy. Maybe I'll try it one more time as a pre-poo and see how that goes.

I think that I'd better do the same or maybe start using something else. The Indian stores in my area have already started raising their prices b/c they said that they are being charged more. Henna has gone up 50% in price in the last year. The Vatika Oil has doubled in price and the Amla Oil is close to it. :wallbash:

Where in Queens do you get your oils? I buy mine at a store on Hillside and 168th Street.

If you work in Manhattan, there's Kalustyan's on Lexington (in the 20s). There is an entire string of Indian stores on Lex in the 20s.

Back