Daily Washing: The Secret to long hair?

sugaplum

Star Shooter
My only problem with washing my hair everyday is I have relaxed hair. Won't the perm wash out? Or is it that my own hair is growing?

Jewell

sugaplum said:
My only problem with washing my hair everyday is I have relaxed hair. Won't the perm wash out? Or is it that my own hair is growing?

There is no such thing as washing a perm out. The chemicals in a relaxer break down the bonds of the hair, straightening it. The hair you see is either frizz or new growth. If its at the scalp, its probably new growth. I have relaxed hair, and I wash (CO wash) daily, but I only shampoo once a week because it would make my hair and scalp too dry if I shampooed daily.

pharmd

I tried this two summers ago (8weeks total). I would condition wash with Neutrogena conditioner. Apply a leave in conditioner and wear my hair in a bun. As my hair would dry during the day, my hair would get thicker and the bun would feel tighter. At the end of the summer, I wet-set then straightened my hair to see how much length I had obtained. My hair was very shiny and some sections were about 1 inch longer but I also had a significant amount of breakage around the ponytail holder (nape lenth).

Overall, I don't think daily conditioner rinses were good for my hair.

My hair is type 4A and at the time relaxed, but still had considerable body.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Jewell said:
There is no such thing as washing a perm out. The chemicals in a relaxer break down the bonds of the hair, straightening it. The hair you see is either frizz or new growth. If its at the scalp, its probably new growth. I have relaxed hair, and I wash (CO wash) daily, but I only shampoo once a week because it would make my hair and scalp too dry if I shampooed daily.

Ohh thanks for clarifiying this for me. :) If that's the case then I have new growth now after 2 weeks post relaxer!! I will give this a shot. Thank you.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Since I've done the BC, I've been C-Cow-C washing. My hair is stronger and healthier then ever. There is also a lot more wave & curl definition. :yep: I don't really oil my scalp as much because I'm taking flaxseed oil pills. I would def recommend this to my family who still thinks that washing your hair every 2 weeks is what you are suppose to do. :look:

I disagree with them and the proof is in my hair. :grin:

Miosy

I'm glad this thread resurfaced because I have been doing daily CO washing for the past 3 weeks and I noticed a major change with my hair. Since it's summer and I am sweating much more and I have been doing CO washes but I also notice that my hair felt heavy from the leave-ins not being washed out so I decided to buy AB swimmers shampoo which removes chlorine, mineral, salts from sweat and diluted it with water(btw, swimmers shampoo has no SLS of any type).

I rinsed my hair first with this solution and then move on to my CO Wash. My hair was soft and moisturized everyday. But, I am a major shedder so I got into the habit of not fully detangling and this was a mistake because the shed hairs remained and tangled around the normal hair. As I struggled to remove the knots on the left side of my head, I thought I would be bald from all the pulling but to my surprise I had only about 5 broken hairs.

When I flat ironed I noticed my hair looked thicker, stronger, and longer. I know it was the daily washes that helped accelerate my hair growth. A Clean scalp really makes a difference! :)

Country gal

I have been doing frequent washing. I do a full wash once a week and do either daily or every other day conditioner washing. My hair loves it . It feels so soft. Not washing frequently dries it out.

LuvLiLocks

Ok, I con wash daily also. I've been doing this for about a month now, I use cream of nature and my hair loves it. Thing is, I was just complaining to myself that my growth doesn't seem very fast, but everyone around me swears my hair is racing. So I guess I'll keep it up for a while longer before I get my braids.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
LuvLiLocks said:
Ok, I con wash daily also. I've been doing this for about a month now, I use cream of nature and my hair loves it. Thing is, I was just complaining to myself that my growth doesn't seem very fast, but everyone around me swears my hair is racing. So I guess I'll keep it up for a while longer before I get my braids.

This is what I plan on doing as well LuvLiLocks. Getting the braids. But I did the BC and I wanted my hair to grow out a little more before I get braids. :)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
sugaplum said:
Since I've done the BC, I've been C-Cow-C washing. My hair is stronger and healthier then ever. There is also a lot more wave & curl definition. :yep: I don't really oil my scalp as much because I'm taking flaxseed oil pills. I would def recommend this to my family who still thinks that washing your hair every 2 weeks is what you are suppose to do. :look:

I disagree with them and the proof is in my hair. :grin:
Now that I'm natural and have a twa, I've also been trying to do daily washing. Sometimes it's every other day. I either conditioner wash with Herbal Essences or rinse my hair with water. After I wash my hair, I just apply jojoba oil or Citre Shine gel to my hair. I will only shampoo 1-2 times a month.

My mom has also told me she doesn't think I should wash my hair this much. She recommended every 2 weeks, but my hair would be so dry by then without water!

So far, my hair has been more moisturized and I can tell it's growing. I will have to wait for some months to see how much growth I get from it overall. I also plan on getting twist extensions sometime in August like these: http://public.fotki.com/Delushious/how_tos/twist_extensions_101/

Best wishes to everyone on this challenge!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
hairlover said:
I too must say that daily washing and s-curl have contributed to my growth, not to mention all of the vitamins I take, ( I plan to cut back to Biotin, Msm, silica, alfalfa, and flaxseed oil)
hairlover,

Is that you in your avatar? If so, you are pretty with long hair!

I also need to up my vitamin intake. I'm just taking a multivitamin right now. I ran out of my NatureMade Super B Complex which I need to get some more. I'm also thinking about taking Silica and Biotin (Vitaminshoppe brand).

growingbrown

Does anyone have any results from washing everyday. I was thinking about it since I am wearing braids but I am afraid of a lot of buildup....:(

czyfaith77

growingbrown said:
Does anyone have any results from washing everyday. I was thinking about it since I am wearing braids but I am afraid of a lot of buildup....:(

Buildup on braids comes from using lots of braid spray near the scalp. It is good to use braid spray all over;however, you should not spray the scalp as often as you would the hair itself. The spray that is spray frequently at the base of the tends to buildup, become hard and white-like and when you take the braids out if you are not aware of how to take the braids out with build-up can cause breakage. Robin, I believe speaks of this on her Crown and Glory website.

In the summer, I washed my braids every couple of days. Some times I did so daily. It depends on the person and the needs of the hair. I didn't experience much slipping and no breakage. Upon taking out by braids my hair was supple and not dry and had thickened and grown tremendously. Braids was the style that I chose when I first came on this site in 2004. Currently, I am at about three inches from bra strap. This is good but I think I could have been much further if it wasn't for some trims that I had. Though I have a great person trimming my ends, I am currently using the "search and seize" method. That is taking the time out and just snipping the split ends that I see. My split are minimum and if they occur they are normally just through the front. They are minimize with the CW and the ORS Carrot Oil that I have just began using.

rrolle234

I have had great results with this. At first, since my hair was used to condtioners that contaied cones and proturlem, when I stated using products with out those things I hated it, I stuck with it and then I started to reap the results of daily co washing

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I had to speak on cowashing because I was sleeping on this!!!! I have been cowashing for the last month or two. I have been doing daily co washes for about a week at a time (I would wear my hair curly one week, then straight for a week, then curly again for a week, etc, etc). Daily cowashing keeps my hair super moisturized. I just blowdried and flatironed my hair on Sunday. My hair was super soft and not so hard to handle. I want to move over to flat ironing/blowdrying once a month and cowashing and wearing wash and go's will make this achievable. Don't know what I will do after summer though. And also I wanted to mention that my hair is growing really fast. I think I will be shoulder length at this rate in about 2 or 3 months (at least the back anyway). This is coming from a pixie cut in February. Co washing and daily washing is THE TRUTH!!!!!!! Don't sleep on it like I did.

Candy_C

i personally just rinse my hair with water in the shower and moisturize when i get out....

its simple and works!

co-washin gives me too much buildup so this is perfect for me! i shampoo as usual every 5 days...

carmella25

Hi April,
I agree that daily hair washing is the Key to growing long hair. I have been doing this for the past 3 years and my hair has grown like a weed!

I never use to wash my hair daily like this and my hair would be broken and dry. Now that my hair is getting longer I know that it is from all the moisture moisture moisture!

growingbrown

Thanks czyfaith77. I think I may try co-washing every couple of days instread of everyday. I am just trying to get my hair to grow.

Thanks again

EMJazzy

Happily retired
When I first joined the site I started washing my hair (with poo) once a week, then I started doing it twice a week (con-wash one day poo wash the other day) now I con-wash daily. My hair absolutely LOVES it!!! :yep:

mahogany66

I am so excited about this thread. I will start washing my hair every three days instead of weekly, my only concern is styling afterwards. Do y'all think rollersetting every 3 days would be too much HEAT????

alexstin

mahogany66 said:
I am so excited about this thread. I will start washing my hair every three days instead of weekly, my only concern is styling afterwards. Do y'all think rollersetting every 3 days would be too much HEAT????

I started washing my hair every 3 days from week 10-14(post relaxer) and wow the growth I obtained. I am now a firm believer. I didn't use heat I would just put it in a bun or rollerset and allow it to airdry so I can't offer any help as far as that is concerned.

Honestly I don't know if I would be able to keep up with the newgrowth if I did every 3 days all the time so I think I'll stick with doing it from week 10-14 for the most part.

Trinity1

I condition wash every other day but I have already grown my hair almost to my
waist earlier this year and decided I didnt like long hair so I cut it. Now my hair is about an inch above my bra strap but I wear it curly so it looks even shorter. I LOVE IT! but with the conditioning washes I can tell you that it DOES make your hair grow very fast. I've been doing it for about 5 years and can testify to that. Oh and the thickness it gives you cant be beat!

TeeTee2

CurleeDST

I would at least rinse on a daily basis when it was warmer. I felt it was a bit too much manipulation for my natural hair so I stopped.