Daily Washing: The Secret to long hair?

CurleeDST

Didn't people also have the same results from washing every 2 or 3 weeks? I remember the thought back in the day was "leave the hair alone and it will grow" and that meant infrequent washes. I am by no way a proponent of that but I wonder if the hair is just going to grow regardless unless there is some physical condition preventing it from happening.

KiniKakes

Co-washing a few times a week is okay with my hair as long as i am NOT manipulating/combing/roller setting it each time. Thus, i can rinse or co-wash it for the moisturizing/scalp cleansing benefits.... but i dry it in one braid or a bun...... no combing or manipulation required.

If I washed every day AND attempted to comb or style it, that would cause more harm than good.

I find it best to rollerset only ONCE per week, and co-wash a few times without manipulating the strands too much.

Cichelle

I'm still cowashing just about every day since my big chop. I have experimented and gone longer, but my hair suffers if I go more than two or three days. I detangle with a wide tooth seamless comb when I cowash, but I don't usually use a comb or brush any other time, with a very few exceptions.

Crissi

CurleeDST said:
Didn't people also have the same results from washing every 2 or 3 weeks? I remember the thought back in the day was "leave the hair alone and it will grow" and that meant infrequent washes. I am by no way a proponent of that but I wonder if the hair is just going to grow regardless unless there is some physical condition preventing it from happening.

ITA. I did daily washing for life 2/3 days last week and hated it, prior to that i tried cowashing and i hated that. I wash my hair no more than 1x a week (sometimes i just leave it until whenever i feel like washing it) and my hairis doing better now than with the daily manipulation...even with a low cut...

RosesBlack

I can't wash every day unless I've just had a relaxer. My NG doesn't like it at all. But I do like to CO wash 2x a week or so if it's really hot out and I'm sweating a lot.

Lady Esquire

i was natural for one year. when i big chopped a little over 2 years ago, i was washing every other day in the summer and twice weekly in the colder seasons. now that i am a relaxed-head, i pretty much follow the same regimen. the summer dries out my strands. i do beleive water and a clean scalp allows the growth to thrive.

meaganita

My hair is too high maintenance to be washing every day! Even if it was the secret to long hair, I probably still couldn't do it.:nono:

gloomgeisha

CurleeDST said:
I am by no way a proponent of that but I wonder if the hair is just going to grow regardless unless there is some physical condition preventing it from happening.

I tend to think this myself. There was a time when I wore my hair out constantly and was co-washing every other day. While my hair did grow, I didn't see the shoot off in RETENTION until I went into protective styles, which has me washing my hair once a month or so. (I don't wash my twists, that would lead to FRIZZ CITY)

I think it really depends on your hair and your routine. If you use light products you might be able to get away with more infrequent washing. Or if your hair is on the fine side (which makes it easier to acquire build up I'd think) than perhaps washing more often would be beneficial.

tnorenberg

I just started a thread a few days ago talking about this. It works for me and I notice the difference in growth when I've stopped doing it or became lazy in the past.

rdm

I have a friend with hair between BSL and her waist. She gets her hair braided every 6 weeks. Guess how often she washes her hair? When she takes the braids down. She doesn't deep condition, trim, co-wash, moisturize/seal...none of that. Just take the braids down, wash/conditon and rebraid. Works for her...wouldn't work for me.

meaganita

rdm said:
I have a friend with hair between BSL and her waist. She gets her hair braided every 6 weeks. Guess how often she washes her hair? When she takes the braids down. She doesn't deep condition, trim, co-wash, moisturize/seal...none of that. Just take the braids down, wash/conditon and rebraid. Works for her...wouldn't work for me.
You basically just described me! ...Except I do deep condition, moisturize/seal, and trim.:look:

A

AmilLion

I think it all depends on one's hair, the current needs of your hair and condition.

For me, washing every 5-6 days suffice

EMJazzy

Happily retired
When I first started daily washing/co washing my hair took off in growth and health then I got sidetracked by braids and flatironing which led to my first (and hopefully last) setback :wallbash: ....I went back to the tried and true and my hair in terms of growth and health is taking off again. I've learned my lesson *stick with what works* :yep:

Daily washing (for me) is the TRUTH!!! :yep::up:

bee

I just had to bump this thread to see if you ladies are still achieving great results with daily washes/conditioner washes.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I just had to bump this thread to see if you ladies are still achieving great results with daily washes/conditioner washes.

Yes I still am. I use the conditioner with no cones (like White Rain). I'm natural and my hair has never thrived better. I also do deep conditionings every 3 days with either Queen Helene cholesterol or Suave Coconut Conditioner w/honey and EVOO. :)

coconow2007

Daily washing is probably fine unless you have hard water as I do. Then it's definitely a no-no.

Glad you're experiencing great progress! Hope it continues!

AZ

I am with you on the hard water. I had a soft water loop installed and noticed a difference right away. I was my hair just about everyday and have really noticed a difference.

_belle

definitely NOT gonna read all 33 pages, but I think it might contribute greatly because
1) scalp is clean
2) everytime you wash your hair, you are massaging your scalp. . . we already know that is great for your hair

lilamae

Frequent washing has been a major contributor to my hair growth.

It just makes since that everything that grows requires water. I dont think hair is an exception. From grass, to flowers, fruit to trees, hec even bacteria needs a moist and warm environment to survive and grow.

Water on your scalp creates an environment condusive to maximum growth. I'd venture to say that this is a fact.:yep:

redd

I am texlaxed and I co-wash daily and wash with shampoo at least once per week. I detangle my hair before I rinse the conditioner out, towel blot my hair, add Aphogee pro-Vitamin Leave-in (I love this stuff it makes my curls pop:drunk:), seal my ends with EVOO and I'm out. I do believe that daily co-washes make the hair grow faster. For Example, alot of ladies have been receiving good growth using MN. MN is an anti-fungal cream used to kill bacteria which results in a cleaner scalp ...well co-washing and frequent shampooing also cleans the scalp.

hopeful

Frequent washing has been a major contributor to my hair growth.

It just makes since that everything that grows requires water. I dont think hair is an exception. From grass, to flowers, fruit to trees, hec even bacteria needs a moist and warm environment to survive and grow.

Water on your scalp creates an environment condusive to maximum growth. I'd venture to say that this is a fact.:yep:

Well said:).

Evalina1

question - Have anybody used Soft -N-Beautiful Extend - A - Perm Products. I like this when I need a perm but I think this can be used all the time!:grin: