Detangling with Ease

kim1006

A few months ago I posted about the issues I was having detangling my hair. I had recently switched hair salons and was occassionally washing my hair at home - only to find a matted mess. :perplexed

The shampoo tech at my original salon did not have issues detangling my hair, nor had I in the past. Here is want I discovered:

1. Previously, I washed my hair while in the shower, so water ran down my hair while I used a wide tooth comb to rinse and comb through
2. The salon I used to go to also ran water while rinsing and combing the conditioner through
3. In the salon I go to now, the shampoo tech who was shampooing my hair did not run water while combing and rinsing the conditioner from my hair and it got tangled
4. Recently, a new shampoo tech washed and conditioned my hair and this is when I noticed that slight difference in her technique and no tangles while she combed and rinsed
5. Since noticing the different techniques, I have washed and conditioned my hair 3 times and have not had an issue with tangling

Until I discovered the different techniques, I thought maybe my hair texture had changed.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Same here! I detangle my natural hair under running water from the showerhead too. Only takes a few minutes doing it this way. Been doing this forever. That's why I could never understand why it would take some ladies HOURS to detangle their hair. Glad you were able to come across this technique kim1006.

faithVA

Running water while you comb the conditioner through. It appears to push the shedded hairs from your head and not cause problems with tangling.

Ok I get you. Removing shed hairs as early as possible is key. I don't necessarily do it under running water. But I know the running water + conditioner works well for many. Glad you worked it out.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Ah, I thought detangling in the shower was a lhcf basic. Ever since learning about it I don't detangle any other way.

choctaw

Same here! I detangle my natural hair under running water from the showerhead too. Only takes a few minutes doing it this way. Been doing this forever. That's why I could never understand why it would take some ladies HOURS to detangle their hair. Glad you were able to come across this technique kim1006.

I thought they had hair like Cousin It ... :lachen:

bride91501

yes! i detangle my hair in the shower, under running water as well. works like a charm!

Where in the world was thread at 1am this morning when I really need it? :perplexed:lol:

Dumb Question: Don't you end up rinsing all the conditioner out of your hair under the running water, thus making it nearly impossible to properly detangle in the first place? :perplexed

Like most of us, I too "detangle in the shower", but I realize now I'm apparently only *physically* in the shower :look: :lol: .....I only use the shower stall to contain the mess, occasionally re-wet my hair, and for a final rinse when I'm done. I'm pretty sure my hair needs to be loaded with conditioner when I detangle in order for me to avoid breakage. I say pretty sure b/c I've never tried it any other way, and b/c most of my strands are fine to medium in size.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I thought they had hair like Cousin It ... :lachen:

But Cousin It had what most would consider "good hair" :lol: ...

choctaw

Dumb Question: Don't you end up rinsing all the conditioner out of your hair under the running water, thus making it nearly impossible to properly detangle in the first place? :perplexed

bride91501

I use a handheld shower head with several settings. I saturate my wet hair with conditioner, adjust the spray, stand under shower head and detangle with shower comb or denman starting at ends. Then I remove shower head from clip, adjust flow (pulsate, etc.) and thoroughly rinse conditioner out of my hair.

PJaye

A few months ago, I also made the switch to detangling in the shower under running water. However, instead of using conditioner, I detangle immediately after the shampoo has been rinsed from my hair (I use diluted Elasta QP or CON Argan Oil because it gives my hair a sick silky feeling and allows for easy detangling).

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
This method doesn't work for me. Since I stopped combing, properly moisturizing, and started steaming, detangling hasn't been a problem. I only detangle thoroughly every three months or so. :look:

lana

Chi Silk Infusion has me detangling outside of the shower and it works wonders. I'm glad you found something that works for you.

Chi makes my hair soft like butta...a little goes a long way.