Does Everyone Have To Detangle?

irisak

So I washed my hair today and while I was rinsing out my dc and detangling it hit me; I've never really had to truly detangle my hair. Long term protective styles, long relaxer stretches, not combing my hair between wash days, none of these create a detangling process that's longer than about two minutes. Does anyone else have this experience or is my hair just weird? It was like this both when I was natural and while relaxed.

Anaisin

The summer I went natural and started the Curly girl method after about a month my hair was never tangled so I didn't detangle.

Anaisin

The curly girl method?

Yes, it was created by Lorraine Massey. Supposed to give your waves/curls/coils ultimate moisture by removing sulfates and silicones(-cone, -conol, or -xane) from your hair regimen.

Worked well for me.

krissyhair

I have detangle the hair because it behaves like this telephone cord.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
As long as it stays stretched and moisturized and ends trimmed & snag free, I dont have much of a problem even wash days and I wash it loose. A "bad" day is like 10 mins. But it's still short (SL) and I have no problems taking a comb to it. None of that finger detangling here.

L.Brown1114

I'm the same exact way!!! I always thought when women talked about how long it took them to detangle they were exaggerating. Girl we are Blessed! My denmen and my trader joes nourishing spa make my detangling process 2-3 minutes. I have 3c/4a fine hair with normal porosity. What's yours?

It takes about 5-7 minutes to finger detangle

SexySin985

So I washed my hair today and while I was rinsing out my dc and detangling it hit me; I've never really had to truly detangle my hair. Long term protective styles, long relaxer stretches, not combing my hair between wash days, none of these create a detangling process that's longer than about two minutes. Does anyone else have this experience or is my hair just weird? It was like this both when I was natural and while relaxed.

My hair is the same way. I can detangle my entire head in less that 5 mins (and that is being generous). I have fine 4a hair though...

irisak

I'm the same exact way!!! I always thought when women talked about how long it took them to detangle they were exaggerating. Girl we are Blessed! My denmen and my trader joes nourishing spa make my detangling process 2-3 minutes. I have 3c/4a fine hair with normal porosity. What's yours?

It takes about 5-7 minutes to finger detangle
I'm texlaxed 3c with normal porosity. I wonder if it's a porosity thing?

metro_qt

I am the person that hates wash day.
I officially hate it.
Detangling still takes hours, and don't let me unbraid my full head of hair at once in the shower. I would have dreds again.

My hair has matted so badly 3 times in my life I had to get chunks chopped out.

My hair is currently waist length and still very thick.

irisak

My hair and thickness breaks brushes.
It used to take 2 jars of relaxer to relax my entire head.
If you had that, you'd understand why...
One of my sisters had hair like this. It's so pretty once she styles it so I've always been jealous. Before I moved out of state I did her relaxers and blowouts. If I parted her hair into four sections one of her ponytails was all of my hair.

imaginary

I think how easily your hair clumps has something to do with it. My hair all over is fine, but the hair at the back of my head is closer to 4a than everywhere else and that detangles like a breeze. The rest of my hair is like a 4abc hybrid that clumps with help and takes a little longer to detangle.

ladybevy

I usually have to detangle when I'm over 5 weeks post. That's when my hair likes to clump together and my new growth cause me some problems. But thankfully that process don't take long. It takes 10 minutes max for me to fully detangle my hair.

L.Brown1114

I am the person that hates wash day.
I officially hate it.
Detangling still takes hours, and don't let me unbraid my full head of hair at once in the shower. I would have dreds again.

My hair has matted so badly 3 times in my life I had to get chunks chopped out.

My hair is currently waist length and still very thick.

If detangling took hours for me I'd relax my hair so straight people would think I was Indian or Asian from the back. I wish I would! You go girl, respect!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
My hair detangles quickly, but I think my technique is the reason.I oil prepoo and add oil to my DCs which leave my strands well lubricated and easy to pull apart.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
My hair detangles quickly, but I think my technique is the reason.I oil prepoo and add oil to my DCs which leave my strands well lubricated and easy to pull apart.
I agree technique has something to do w/it. I pre-poo w/conditioner on dry hair. Helps a TON! My nape area and sides are now more moisturized, so they detangle w/o issue. The rest of my head is dense and needs plenty conditioning and small sections to detangle thoroughly.

ChristmasCarol

I've never "detangled" my hair. I wet it, apply conditioner and then stand under the shower head. All of my hair straightens out and I can brush right through it. It doesn't start curling up and getting big until it begins to dry. My hair is extremely dense - my puff is shown in my avatar. If my hair weren't pulled back, it would be bigger than my head, lol.

irisak

I've never "detangled" my hair. I wet it, apply conditioner and then stand under the shower head. All of my hair straightens out and I can brush right through it. It doesn't start curling up and getting big until it begins to dry. My hair is extremely dense - my puff is shown in my avatar. If my hair weren't pulled back, it would be bigger than my head, lol.
I do something similar. I wonder if that is the key? When I wash I keep my hair down and never pile it on top of my head. I wash the hair itself by running the lather down the strand. I rinse my dc under running water while brushing with a paddle brush or combing with a wide tooth comb. These two things mean my hair is tangle free before the conditioner is completely rinsed out of my hair.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I'm one of the unfortunate souls that takes 2 hours to detangle. I think it's just my hair type, since it's coarse and likes to clump together.

PJaye

That is one helluva puff.:yep:

ag00

Can I strangle you real quick?