Does Everyone Have To Detangle?

bklynbornNbred

You're not the only one. I have to say my experience as a natural adult is far different than my memories of how my hair was as a child. My childhood hair broke Goody combs. It was dense, thick and not easy. I hated wash day and the tugging through my hair. I couldn't get a relaxer quick enough (13 or 14).

My adult natural hair only gives me trouble if I go too long with a puff. Otherwise as long as I prepoo with heat and deep condition with heat and take my time detangling is pretty much a breeze. I had no idea I had any curls (4a) but I'm sure that was due to products used back in the day.

GGsKin

You're not the only one. I have to say my experience as a natural adult is far different than my memories of how my hair was as a child. My childhood hair broke Goody combs. It was dense, thick and not easy. I hated wash day and the tugging through my hair. I couldn't get a relaxer quick enough (13 or 14).

My adult natural hair only gives me trouble if I go too long with a puff. Otherwise as long as I prepoo with heat and deep condition with heat and take my time detangling is pretty much a breeze. I had no idea I had any curls (4a) but I'm sure that was due to products used back in the day.

ITA with the bolded. I think technique and product usage has a lot to do with it. As a child my hair would shrink up when water touched it. Especially on wash day. It was dense. And I never really noticed much of a curl pattern. Now when I wash my hair, it elongates when wet and my coils are popping.

I tend to finger detangle on soaking wet 4b/c hair in the shower and the stray hairs come out fairly easily, but if it's been a while, I'll detangle lightly on dry hair first.

IMFOCSD

I only detangle my super coily hair once a week (or every other)... after I wash with a slip filled conditioner.

bklynbornNbred

ITA with the bolded. I think technique and product usage has a lot to do with it. As a child my hair would shrink up when water touched it. Especially on wash day. It was dense. And I never really noticed much of a curl pattern. Now when I wash my hair, it elongates when wet and my coils are popping.

I tend to finger detangle on soaking wet 4b/c hair in the shower and the stray hairs come out fairly easily, but if it's been a while, I'll detangle lightly on dry hair first.

I'm so glad you had same experience. I was starting to think I was crazy. Had I known my hair was the way it is I could have transitioned years ago.

snookes

So I washed my hair today and while I was rinsing out my dc and detangling it hit me; I've never really had to truly detangle my hair. Long term protective styles, long relaxer stretches, not combing my hair between wash days, none of these create a detangling process that's longer than about two minutes. Does anyone else have this experience or is my hair just weird? It was like this both when I was natural and while relaxed.
Oh god yes lol

snookes

My hair shrinks and tangles as soon as water hits it. I hate it