Disappointed Dominican Blowout!!! Vent Part 2 - Very Pic Heavy

Okay, the more I read recent posts, the more I like NOT reading them! :wallbash: I was planning on going to a Dom salon at the end of the month to have my hair professionally blown out and dc'd.

There are sooooo many here in Philly and I must say that I'm not very impressed, like I was about 5 years ago. Last one I went to didn't have any hot water. :nono: Now, your experience is truly scaring me, 'cause I know my hair is going to need some wrangling. :lachen:

Wow...I am so sorry. I would start with a protien treatment to try and get your hair back in shape...my goodness.

As far as me, I will continue to do my hair at home. This is outrageous!

Okay, I've been doing my own hair at home for over 5 years. I am always disappointed with the salons. But, I'm disappointed with my at home salon too. :yep:

Dominicans, Egyptians, AA, your cousin, heat damage can come from anywhere. Extreme heat is not good for any hair esp. natural hair. A lesson learned, I was taught that 13 years ago.:sad:

I am SO sorry. I didnt even know you could cause this kind of damage with a blow dry! Have you tried protein and moisture deep conditioning?

I would be SO very pissed. (not to mention devastated, your hair is beautiful)

No you cannot sue...this is the result of a Dominican blowout on 100% naturally nappy hair. Damage is to be expected...

Time to baby your hair...

I am SO sorry. I didnt even know you could cause this kind of damage with a blow dry! Have you tried protein and moisture deep conditioning?

In Chicago, we have Egyptians not Dominicans, anyway they want the blow dryer so hot, they take out the thermostats on the apparatus.

This is why I had stopped going to the DS. I was going to the DS before most people in the 90's and love it at first. Until after a year or so my hair started to thin out. IMO, use them in moderation only and IF you have 4a-4b dense ,yet naturally fine hair DO NOT go to them PERIOD!!!! They do too much pulling on the roots which can damage fine hair.

I agree with the others, take it for what it was worth, baby your hair and DO NOT go back. Remember its just hair...it will grow back!!!!

Last edited:
I agree with the others, take it for what it was worth, baby your hair and DO NOT go back. Remember its just hair...it will grow back!!!!

You know, for some people its more than just hair. If not I wouldnt be a member of this forum/hair cult. LOL :grin:

OP...sorry to see that's happened to you.
I hate to say this....but you may not have a case...I say this because heat is heat... We all run a HUGE risk when we decide to get a treatment or process that involves heat on our natural hair....Some people can get away with a DB and get their beautiful shrinkage back...but some of us cannot...Its kind of how the cookie crumbles....I have seen many natural ladies get beautiful DB's...only to have some parts not revert, split ends, and the like....

I had my hair flat-ironed and one whole piece would not revert from root to tip! It was a brand new flat-iron...first use after 6 months of no heat...and the previous heat use on an old flat-iron resulted in 100% reversion......My hair doesn't shrink the same way anymore...which is okay....but a few DC with a protein conditioner helped it out...I used Joico Kpax...nothing special.....its been about 5 months since that happened, and I've used heat once with no further damage, and (almost) complete reversion (other than that once piece). I had a few parts of my hair not revert completely....this is after using tension method, lower heat and everything......My hair is clearly heat sensitive....

Take home message is you just have to be careful and your hair will bounce back in time......I am so very sorry you have to experience this....i wouldn't wish this feeling on my worst enemy.....

Deep Protein DC for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Hopefully ur hair will return back to normal.

They tried to fight u? WhAT!!?!?!?! Im sorry for whats happened to u, because if that was me, i'd make sure i let everyone know what kind of business they are operating and make sure they pass the information on not to go there.

Make sure you go to that small claims court and make sure they pay you every penny/cent/dollar/buck......!! :)

Wha wha wha WAIT...they tried to fight you!?!?! oh heck no all bets are off.....!

I just put this on the other Dominican thread but I think that people are really catching on now to the damage that the Dominican Blow-Out really can do to your hair. There are news articles popping up in recent weeks highlighting how African American hair salons are picking back up the business they once lost to the Dominican hair salons simply because of all the damage that they are getting done to their hair when they come from the Dominican salons. They have to go back to the AA salons to repair the damage.

wow...so sorry your results were not good for you...Hopefully your hair will get back to normal after some deep treatments.

Scratches DBO's off my future to do list

Suing costs you too much money. Unless you have extra to throw away, I'd skip that. Just get on the internet and fill out those reviews on the salons. Most people do searches for salons on the internet. The names and addresses come up WITH ratings generally. 1 bad review makes a difference, particularly if you tell the details... like how poorly they handled your hair because of its texture.

Do one of these:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kenneths-hair-salon-austin-3

I'm sooo sorry to hear about your experience and just wanted to give you an e-hug!!! :sad:Try using a protein treatment. This may help it revert a bit.

I've been to this particular salon before and suffered a bit of heat damage on a small section of the front part of my hair where the texture is looser. Most of these Dominican stylists are petrified of 4b natural hair, so I don't bother anymore.

I learned so much from this board that I can straighten my own hair and do a much better job. I think 4b naturals should be wary of DBs in general, I've only come across one Dominican stylist who did a great job on my hair and she herself had a tight curl pattern.

So sorry OP...

Last edited:
Sorry this happened to you. That's definitely heat damage. I would do protein treatments and keep deep conditioning to see if it will revert.

Most of these Dominican stylists are petrified of 4b natural hair, so I don't bother anymore.

So true. I've only been to 3 salons that did 4b hair and they looked at me like they were scared lol i know they didn't want to have to deal with my hair.I notice that they are trying to change though because one of the salons (a salon that i was always at when i was a permie) didn't want to take me once before when i had just started on my natural journey. they refused and said i needed a perm. now they do natural hair (and they are good at it BUT i wonder how much damage they are doing to get it straight- needless to say, i'm staying away from heat for a while because i'm afraid they would mess with my hair texture). but yeah, they are trying to tap into the natural hair market it seems. idk

Im sorry to say this but you do not have a case.

1. Before going to any salon getting a new technique. It is imperative that you research the pros and cons to any service. There are many threads on this forum on dominican blow-outs and heat damage.

2. With very tightly coiled hair you are putting yourself at risk to heat damage because of the excessive amount of heat that is used to straighten your strands

3. I would advise that you do protein treatments to help rebuild your hair shaft, and also to deep condition. Eventually your hair may return back to its normal consistency, however be prepared that you may have to cut some of the heat damage.

4. Salons are for styling. It is rare to find a salon or stylist that will actually care about the health of your hair.

Let me reiterate it is imperative that you research, research, research NEW methods that you wish to try for your hair.

Im sorry to say this but you do not have a case.

1. Before going to any salon getting a new technique. It is imperative that you research the pros and cons to any service. There are many threads on this forum on dominican blow-outs and heat damage.

2. With very tightly coiled hair you are putting yourself at risk to heat damage because of the excessive amount of heat that is used to straighten your strands

3. I would advise that you do protein treatments to help rebuild your hair shaft, and also to deep condition. Eventually your hair may return back to its normal consistency, however be prepared that you may have to cut some of the heat damage.

4. Salons are for styling. It is rare to find a salon or stylist that will actually care about the health of your hair.

Let me reiterate it is imperative that you research, research, research NEW methods that you wish to try for your hair.

I think every 3 months someone messes up their hair with heat, you would think we(LHCF) would have learned this by now.

She said she pressed her hair after the blowout (correct me if I'm wrong OP). So I don't think the damage came from the blow out alone.

I'm sorry this happened to you :(. If it were me personally I wouldn't try to take it to court due to the time and money it may take. What I would do is file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau citing the salon's lack of professionalism, unwillingness to offer any compensation for the damage and threats of violence.

So sorry this happened to you. I dont think you can sue. You are taking a risk by going to a salon and letting them straighten your hair especially since you never said No to them blowing your hair out--which was the point of you going there in the first place. I would just do like others stated- go to Yellowpages, yelp, yahoo, etc...and give them a horrible review. Trust people read those and take them seriously....I know I do. There really is no compensation they can offer...I think it would be a diff. story if you said something then, then it might've been easier to not pay. Bad Reviews will hurt them soooo much--they probably will contact you to give you money back for you to take it down lol.
I have had heat damage 2 times (not at a DS or with a ceramic iron) and there really isnt anything you can do but let it grow out and trim little by little. Just take care of your hair and hurt them where it hurts the most---bad reviews so they wont get as many clients..If it happened to you, its happened to others there

You know, for some people its more than just hair. If not I wouldnt be a member of this forum/hair cult. LOL :grin:

That's true but it will grow back. This is the time to really baby your hair and transition through the damage. At least this time you know what NOT to do! No more Dominican blow outs!

Things will get better! :wink2:

OP, I too am sorry this happened to your hair. An experience similar to yours is what led me to LHCF this time last year in a panic. (((shudders)))

Go out and grab up some Aphogee 2 step treatment and a good deep conditioner. As long as you aren't experiencing hair loss, you may be able to recover from this without a major cut.

I dunno, she may be able to sue if she can prove heat damage. One of my sorors won $10K from one of those African braiding salons. They sat her under a dryer, the dryer caught on fire and burned her hair. She settled out of court. I’m no lawyer but it may be worth checking out.

She said she pressed her hair after the blowout (correct me if I'm wrong OP). So I don't think the damage came from the blow out alone.

I think she said she pressed against her hair... like with her fingers... that's how I understood what she said..

was afraid it might have been heat damaged because when I pressed against it, it gleamed bright brown under the light. I freaked out and just washed it out. But FIRST;

Back