Diva Smooth Ingredient List: Listed Inside

MrsMe

My beef is that her website is a bit misleading. The obvious problem is not listing the ingredients. I personally don't feel I owe the Black community a smidgeon of allegiance. If I want to spend money somewhere, I want to educate myself on the product first. This is basically not allowed until there is a purchase. I missed that part that hair must be flat ironed weekly...probably because it was not that easy to find, not on the links I was given.

I simply just hate it that Black products are marketed like "abracadabra" and we're expected to be sucked in. I do care how they market their products when they target certain clients and I'm of interest. Keratin treatments are no longer monopolized by QOD and are proliferating like weeds, as they should. Everybody wants in on the market. They are advertised as magic and ingredients and expected results are listed...as well as precautions. For me, that was the issue. Several people on their Myspace/Facebook were inquiring about how the product worked and ingredients and they were definitely given the runaround...until they made a purchase.
I couldn't have said it better myself! My money will go into the pockets of people who make products that cater to my hair regardless of their skin complexion. Yes, we have to support our fellow black entrepeneur, but if WE find a weak spot easily, then how are they supposed to compete with big companies??

Lucky's Mom

My beef is that her website is a bit misleading. The obvious problem is not listing the ingredients. I personally don't feel I owe the Black community a smidgeon of allegiance. If I want to spend money somewhere, I want to educate myself on the product first. This is basically not allowed until there is a purchase. I missed that part that hair must be flat ironed weekly...probably because it was not that easy to find, not on the links I was given.

I simply just hate it that Black products are marketed like "abracadabra" and we're expected to be sucked in. I do care how they market their products when they target certain clients and I'm of interest. Keratin treatments are no longer monopolized by QOD and are proliferating like weeds, as they should. Everybody wants in on the market. They are advertised as magic and ingredients and expected results are listed...as well as precautions. For me, that was the issue. Several people on their Myspace/Facebook were inquiring about how the product worked and ingredients and they were definitely given the runaround...until they made a purchase.

ITA............I guess this was my beef in the first place... About 5 million posts ago.

P

patient1

I've read your post a few times and I'm not sure how the my quote is connected to this, but it's all good. :yep:

p1

Sui Topi

I know we know better, but am I the only one who finds it a little scary that it is recommended to add one drop of oil to your hair and then flat iron?

Lucky's Mom

Well ladies I don't have pictures yet but I did put the product on. Just imagine molasses with sugar crystals. The crystal dissolve as you work it through your hair and I must say my hair is a bit more manageable. Normally my wet triple xxx hair can not be pulled back smooth but I could after applying this. Now the test comes with dry hair LOL

Have to wait my 45 min. Man this stuff reminds me of granny and her tea cakes. I had to keep reminding myself don't lick your fingers LOLOL

Oh my apl hair took 1/2 the bottle :( so if your longer it's a 1 shot deal for you. Also I would recommend pouring it to a container to apply because it's waaay to thick to try and squeeze out of the bottle. You'll be all night just squeezing.

DANG - See. I am always in trouble with these 8 oz bottles....

:drunk: Any pics????

P

patient1

DANG - See. I am always in trouble with these 8 oz bottles....

:drunk: Any pics????

Someone ^^^ might need to start a patent or copyright for the coconut milk and lime mixture on the low and just make sure LHCF members don't find out about it. LOL!! I'm half-joking, half-serious. Because if honey/vinegar/eo blends are being patented and sold for 20 bucks or thereabouts...I'm just saying....It could be next. At least twice before I've seen folks mentioning they have the copyright or patent on something that's commonplace on hairboards.

I'm only paying for a patent if it's something I develop and is not easily deciphered so I can sell to a monster company for a substantial fee. :yep:
p1

Miamori

I know we know better, but am I the only one who finds it a little scary that it is recommended to add one drop of oil to your hair and then flat iron?

Not me - depends on how I am flat ironing. If it is wet to dry, I use a decent amount of oil, actually. No frying and my hair is silkier and what not. I use a very low heat setting though and let it air dry a bit after the first run through.

When I am flat ironing regularly (keep in mind that I flat ironed for the first time since September a week ago, and then before September, the last time was May I think... so I don't flat iron often, but do get blow outs once a month or once every 2 months...) I use grape seed oil, which I consider to be a natural heat protectant if my heat setting is below 300 something, which it always is.

So I believe it depends. I only use grape seed and vitamin e though when I flat iron, with the exception of an olive oil serum occasionally.

MrsMe

I'M DONE:yay: Bring out the band because I love this stuff yall I'm about to dance a jig :band2:

Now you know I have never figured out how to post a picture here but it's all in my fotki - http://public.fotki.com/1babydimple/janelle-beauty-smoo/
Thanks for sharing that with us. It really helps blend your new growth with the relaxed ends. Keep us updated as within the next four weeks so we can see how it changes. So far, so good. It does what Vanessa told us it would.

HeChangedMyName

Thanks. I'm still waiting for others to try it and give some LHCF testimonials before I bite. I am interested in how cornstarch can lift dirt. Interesting. wonder if it is a good additive to any old poo.

1babydimple

You know what charm I believe a roller set would work. I simply did the blow dry because I wanted to do the entire process for you guys. But I blow dry so rarely I had to remember what cabinet the joker was in :)

mistee11

You know what charm I believe a roller set would work. I simply did the blow dry because I wanted to do the entire process for you guys. But I blow dry so rarely I had to remember what cabinet the joker was in :)

I think your hair looked great! It would be nice though to see if others have the same results. Thanks for sharing your experience with this product. :grin:

Neith

WOW! Great results. So for all the naysayers ...:peace: the proof is in the pudding :wink2: Looking forward to more reports from the other ladies who ordered.

Once I saw the ingredients I was pretty sure that it would be a nice pre poo product. My only beef now is... what's going to stop me from going into the kitchen, getting my honey, lemon juice and oil out and just doing a pre poo? Or a caramel treatment? Instead of ordering a $20 product online and paying for shipping?

Hell, I'm going to go do it right now just because I've been talking about it :lol:

Also, I believe that the marketing of the product is misleading. It's just a very good pre poo/conditioning treatment. Not a relaxer alternative.

but whatever... the mystery has been solved. Good product, one can buy or choose not to buy, doesn't matter to me.

blasianbeauty

In the other thread I said I'll have to wait at least a month before trying it. I wonder how long it took for the women's hair to fall out after using Rio?

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
In the other thread I said I'll have to wait at least a month before trying it. I wonder how long it took for the women's hair to fall out after using Rio?

If the ingredients listed in Diva Smooth made your hair fall out half of the board would be bald already, lol.
incase anyone is interested in comparing here is the ingredients listed for Copa/Rio....

Complex: Maltodextrin (corn product); modified food starch; ammonium chloride, manganese chloride (mineral salts); fragrance, paraben (preservative); ascorbic acid (vitamin C); and vitamin E Acetate.
Activator: containing Maltodextrine, sodium thiosulfate, modified food starch, carboxymethylcellulose (gum); citric acid (fruit acid); fragrance; and paraben (preservative).

kaykaybobay

I highly doubt anyone's hair will be falling out from diva smooth. Heck if this is the case I need stop buying some natural products I use now, since I have no evidence of long term effects of their usage.

blasianbeauty

If the ingredients listed in Diva Smooth made your hair fall out half of the board would be bald already, lol.
incase anyone is interested in comparing here is the ingredients listed for Copa/Rio....

Complex: Maltodextrin (corn product); modified food starch; ammonium chloride, manganese chloride (mineral salts); fragrance, paraben (preservative); ascorbic acid (vitamin C); and vitamin E Acetate.
Activator: containing Maltodextrine, sodium thiosulfate, modified food starch, carboxymethylcellulose (gum); citric acid (fruit acid); fragrance; and paraben (preservative).
Of course the natural ingredients won't cause our hair to fall out. What if there are other ingredients that aren't listed? As I said before, I'll wait a while before trying it. If this product truly does deliver over a period of time, then I'll definitely purchase some myself since I'm on a 24 week stretch.

AtlantaJJ

Those ingredients sound like they would get the oil stains off the cement floor in my garage :dazed:

Never would I ever be tempted to put that on my head :shocked:

Jazala

Once I saw the ingredients I was pretty sure that it would be a nice pre poo product. My only beef now is... what's going to stop me from going into the kitchen, getting my honey, lemon juice and oil out and just doing a pre poo? Or a caramel treatment? Instead of ordering a $20 product online and paying for shipping?

Hell, I'm going to go do it right now just because I've been talking about it :lol:

Also, I believe that the marketing of the product is misleading. It's just a very good pre poo/conditioning treatment. Not a relaxer alternative.

but whatever... the mystery has been solved. Good product, one can buy or choose not to buy, doesn't matter to me.

This. :perplexed

Solitude

*shrugs shoulders* I'm not a kitchen mixologist, so I went ahead and ordered it. :look: I'm 9 weeks post & trying to stretch as long as possible.

ETA: There's nothing wrong with mixing products, I'm just not that into it. I make my own pre-poo mixture currently, but I was looking for a commercial one to try, anyway.

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

Someone ^^^ might need to start a patent or copyright for the coconut milk and lime mixture on the low and just make sure LHCF members don't find out about it. LOL!! I'm half-joking, half-serious. Because if honey/vinegar/eo blends are being patented and sold for 20 bucks or thereabouts...I'm just saying....It could be next. At least twice before I've seen folks mentioning they have the copyright or patent on something that's commonplace on hairboards.

I'm only paying for a patent if it's something I develop and is not easily deciphered so I can sell to a monster company for a substantial fee. :yep:
p1

Um. Yea. :yep:

I am sure coconut and Lime will happen.... When it is 30 bucks..... I will head to the market!

Lucky's Mom

Um - Yea... I woulda been bald already.....:lachen:

In terms of the product listing - the problem was the mix of Ammonium Chloride and the Manganese Chloride.

That mix - all natural - gave disasterous results.

Irresistible

The bolded is how I would deal with a product worthy of a patent. I'm in agreement with you on that. However, I'm really *meh* about how other folks conduct their business if it doesn't involve my money. I'm sure most of us are that way in the end. :grin:

The keratin-based thing is already crowded enough. Only a remix of sorts could be patented. It would be a waste of time. It seems that this is an alternative to what is already available PACKAGED. You won't imagine the confusion that was created when I gave the staff at my job a simple shea-based hand cream and sugar scrub for the holidays. Purchasing raw ingredients is so foreign to the average person while it's common place for us. Fortunately for janellebeauty, we are a very small minority of available heads of hair. Marketed correctly, this product might do very well. The idea of whipping up this product (or any foodbased hair concoction) at home would *feel* like too much for the average consumer. For many of us on lhcf and the like, it's old hat.

My guess is that this goes beyond prepooing. I'd guess that the vinegar and the lemon extract are doing the work of softening the hair texture along with essential oils (depending upon which ones were selected). The term prepoo covers such a wide range of things we put on our hair before washing (or cowashing) from oils on down the line. This will do a bit more to your hair than oil alone *I think* because of those two light acids, their concentration, and the amount of time that it is sitting on your hair. I don't know if the order of the ingredients has anything to do with the concentration, but based on the sticky description, it sounds like it is (with honey being first on the list).

Idk, based on what I know this sounds about right. I guessed all the final ingredients from the list as I'm sure a lot of us did.

Here's my last on this, I don't think the inventor is unfamiliar with hairboards. :grin: There was some research involved. :yep: And I say congrats! I'm sure the patent was part of what Janellebeauty required to carry it in their lineup.

p1
agreed:yep::yep: