DIY Spray Bottle Recipes for Daily Moisture...Do Share

Smiley79

This question comes after me braiding my hair down into cornrows earlier today. (I'll be rocking my half wigs as protective styling). Currently, my 2 moisturizers have been Herbal Essence LTR and Hairveda Whipped Cream...sooooo, you can imagine that I'm freaking out because I can't spray either of those on to my hair, and I hate the thought of dilutting them...But I'm open to suggestions, tips and recipes because I really like the whole DIY thing. Thx.

Last edited:

msa

If it's the LTR conditioner (not leave in) you could just dilute it with some water.

Aloe vera juice mixed with some water works for me...you could also add glycerine (which I haven't tried but it works for others).

Taina

If it's the LTR conditioner (not leave in) you could just dilute it with some water.
Isn't it harmfull for the hair? I use to do it, not diluted tho, but a hair stylist told me that putting the conditioner in my hair can be harmfull. It is ok if i dilute it?

msa

Isn't it harmfull for the hair? I use to do it, not diluted tho, but a hair stylist told me that putting the conditioner in my hair can be harmfull. It is ok if i dilute it?

As a general rule, leaving regular conditioner in your hair is fine. Now you have to make sure the ingredients are ok for your hair, but it won't damage it. Lots of people on lhcf use conditioner as their moisturizer/leave-in, especially the thinner conditioners like V05 and Suave. You can use it full strength or diluted, depending on how thick the conditioner is and if it's going to build up really quickly.

Theresamonet

Can I use chamomile tea in a mix? I am trying to recreate shescentit's moisture mist and it has chamomile extract as the first ingredient. Also, is honey an okay humectant to use in the winter?

MangaManiac

You can also try using Aussie Leave-in conditioner spray either alone or in a mix. I use this to keep my hair moist all day and it smells lovely!

Smiley79

Thanks for the suggestions. Can someone tell me what is glycerin and where to find that? i know nothing about it. Thx.

adw425

Aloe vera juice or gel (food grade), rosewater, honeyquat, panthenol, silk amino acids mixed with the White Rain kids detangler from Dollar Tree.

ETA: I forgot the castor oil -- just a dollop. My hair really cannot tolerate glycerin. I used to add Right On curl activator for the glycerin and after many tries, I have just given up on glycerin, but the castor oil along with the honeyquat works excellently for moisture retention, not to mention the panthenol.

Last edited:

jamaraa

Thanks for the suggestions. Can someone tell me what is glycerin and where to find that? i know nothing about it. Thx.

Glycerin is a humectant (ie it takes moisture from the air) that's derived from both animal and/or plant sources. You can it at your grocery store sometimes, but mainly at health food type places. It's used in some foods/ cooking, it's quite common in food stores.

People use it for moisture. They also use honeyquat for the same reasons. It's said to be more humectant than glycerin. Here's where you get honeyquat. http://www.lotioncrafter.com/honeyquat_pf.html