Do people tell you your hair looks nice....even when you think it doesn't

gymfreak336

Do you ever get compliments when you think your hair looks bad. I washed and flat wrapped two days ago. I have been flat wrapping lately to save time but my hair doesn't stay as straight and smooth compared to when I rollerset first. So today the humidy got me and my hair was looking a bit puffy to me. Strangly my classmates where telling me how soft it looked and yada yada yada. All I was thinking was I could really use another protein treatment, a pre-poo and a light dusting. How about you?

LocksOfLuV

Nope. Not here NOR in real life.

I keep it moving. Occasionally I have people who KNOW their hair looks a mess try and fish for a compliment but I tell them how I feel or dodge the question.

gymfreak336

I keep it moving. Occasionally I have people who KNOW their hair looks a mess try and fish for a compliment but I tell them how I feel or dodge the question.[/QUOTE]

Your honesty....Gotta love it. What do you say? "It looks dry to me" or do you tell them they need conditioner?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Do you ever get compliments when you think your hair looks bad. How about you?
Yep! But I wouldn't say when my hair looks bad but when my hair doesn't look the way I want it to look on a particular day. When someone compliments my hair on a day that I think my hair isn't the way I want it, I have surprised look and say "thanks". :Blush2:

gymfreak336

Yep! But I wouldn't say when my hair looks bad but when my hair doesn't look the way I want it to look on a particular day. When someone compliments my hair on a day that I think my hair isn't the way I want it, I have surprised look and say "thanks". :Blush2:

Its nice to hear positive thoughts when you don't like the way it looks. Your hair looks great in your avatar. Yall lush naturals make me sick......:lol:

Empress Yahudah

If someone's hair looks good i tell them .. but if I dont like how thier hair looks I dont say anything... If they ask me i will be honest and tell them what I think If they want feeback I give it.. (in a loving or respectable way) I dont believe in lying to people how does that help them How does that help me if my hair is looking unhealthy and someone say Oh girl ur hair looks good..that dosent help me I apply that to most things

LocksOfLuV

I keep it moving. Occasionally I have people who KNOW their hair looks a mess try and fish for a compliment but I tell them how I feel or dodge the question.[/QUOTE]

Your honesty....Gotta love it. What do you say? "It looks dry to me" or do you tell them they need conditioner?

Nothing usually, I dodge it. But if they are persistent on fishing and going "My hair looks dry doesn't it?" (wanting me to say "No it doesn't girl"), if it looks dry I say "Yeah girl, put something on it."

PinkPeony

I don't compliment on things that aren't true in my eyes like girl you WSL when you're barely APL.
However I do try to find something positive.
So actually no I don't tell people their hair,child,car looks nice when it doesn't.

You can compliment someone without lying.

This definitely happens to me especially a few days post roller set. I think it looks sometimes bushy and unkempt (not really but kinda looks that way) probably because it was so structured looking right after the roller set and of course a few days of no pincurling and no rerolling-only finger combing curls left me with a small case of "bedhead." Someone then tells me "oohh your hair looks really good" or "your hair looks so healthy and has so much body" I'm thinking to myself man this ish is so jacked up-well not jacked up but not looking its freshest you know-but I tell them thank you. :yawn:
It really makes you think about how you look at yourself and that I may sometimes judge myself or my hair a little to harshly or make things out to be a big deal when it's really not. It's like how they say we as women sometimes focus on our flaws, but in the end men, bffs never notice.

Babydall818

Yeah and I try to just take the compliment. Instead of going "if you only knew how bad I wanted to throw a hat on" ...etc

jasmin

My motto is just don't say anything. If I do truly like it I say it but if I don't I just don't say anything.

dlewis

When people compliment I say thank you no matter how I think I look.

But yes I've had people compliment and I know I look awful.

CurliDiva

Sometimes I think people give a compliment as a way to point out what's wrong - hoping that you start a whole story to disclaim it!:perplexed Just say thanks and move on.

bLackButtaFly

I did just the other day. My hair was looking and feeling tore up b/c I hadn't washed it all week. It was in a bun and I had only had enough patience to slick the edges, but the bun looked awful to me. My friend wa slike oooh your hair looks cute, and I just smiled and said thank you, but it really needs some tlc. And she was like well I wish mine looked like that when it looked bad. :look::spinning: I just laughed, adn was gratful she didn't try to touch it, b/c it was all dry:look:

CurliDiva

You do that? That's interesting.

Actually I DONT - I'm a Leo; we love praise and believe our own hype!:grin:

I've geniunely (sp) compliment someone only to have them tell me why it is not true and disclaim it!

For example,
ME: I really like your dress!

The Person: Oh, this old thing - I got on sale and it makes my arms look big, wanted another color, bah, bah, bah.....

Me: thinking... alrighty then just say THANK YOU and let it go!:ohwell:

Last edited:

Mook's hair

I keep it moving. Occasionally I have people who KNOW their hair looks a mess try and fish for a compliment but I tell them how I feel or dodge the question.

In response to the OP... yes people tell me that even when I don't think it's looking so hot.

When people fish, that doesn't work with me, if they aren't looking right. Mostly because it doesn't register as fishing. If you ask me, I'm gonna think you actually want to know a real answer/point of view. I'm never gonna dodge that question. Sometimes I might even come off as a little mean or tacky (or so my husband tells me) but I'm just being honest, because you asked me. If you don't want to know...don't ask about it.

I can give you directions to Sally's or Wal Mart to get something to help get that under control.

dlewis

Actually I DONT - I'm a Leo; we love praise and beleive our own hype!:grin:

I've geniunely (sp) compliment someone only to have them tell me why it is not true and disclaim it!

For example,
ME: I really like your dress!

The Person: Oh, this old thing - I got on sale and I make my arms look big, wanted another color, bah, bah, bah.....

Me: thinking... alrighty then just say THANK YOU and let it go!:ohwell:

:lachen: I work with a lady like that and every day she does this.

Recently I was at Walmart and I saw a lady I knew. She had on a skin tight body suit and it looked nice. I said you look sexy, she said girl, this thing is to tight, I said, but didn't you know that before you left the house.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
There is no doubt that my hair is getting healthier, shinier, very little shedding and no breakage. But I've had several people stop me to say tell me that it's also getting so thick and full, which is making me very happy. While I might not see that it's getting longer, others see it which is kind of strange to me. I don't think my hair is long at all...:look:

e$h

Me too. I'm wearing a braidout today and it doesn't look quite as good as the others. My coworkers are giving me compliments left and right but i just think it looks okay.